Type keyword(s) to search

2017 Tryouts and Training Camp: Candidates Included

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

On 8/11/2017 at 5:15 AM, dreamcatcher said:

Seriously? They didn't know who the first lady is? Wth? So stupid offends Kelly only when it comes to Kelsey and girls she doesn't like, but a legacy who really has no excuse (she is the only legacy after Cassie who has access to that many inside info) and an overly sexual dancer who could easily be considered a bimbo after this...they are fine! kelsey has the issue obviously!

I posted my feelings about Kalyssa not knowing this in the episode 2 thread, so I won't repeat myself here.  I hadn't seen this other preview with Dayton not knowing!  But Dayton did not make it into training camp, and I imagine that this is one reason why.  I also think she could tone up (I refuse to say she looks heavy, because she absolutely does not), and she can work a little more power into her movements and smile.  She has some things to work on, but I think trying out this year was a great experience for her and her mom and this will help her know what areas to work on (knowledge/interview preparation, the test [as per a Shelly comment earlier], muscle tone, and "performance, power, and projection."  That's not a short list, but if she wants to make the team, now she has some concrete areas to focus on.  I'd love to see her try out again and be better all around!  I think she's lovely, seems sweet and like a team player, and also young enough to grow into the skills and role of a DCC.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, M1977G said:

I posted my feelings about Kalyssa not knowing this in the episode 2 thread, so I won't repeat myself here.  I hadn't seen this other preview with Dayton not knowing!  But Dayton did not make it into training camp, and I imagine that this is one reason why.  I also think she could tone up (I refuse to say she looks heavy, because she absolutely does not), and she can work a little more power into her movements and smile.  She has some things to work on, but I think trying out this year was a great experience for her and her mom and this will help her know what areas to work on (knowledge/interview preparation, the test [as per a Shelly comment earlier], muscle tone, and "performance, power, and projection."  That's not a short list, but if she wants to make the team, now she has some concrete areas to focus on.  I'd love to see her try out again and be better all around!  I think she's lovely, seems sweet and like a team player, and also young enough to grow into the skills and role of a DCC.

I don't think Dayton would have made the team this year even with a stellar interview. Obviously she has an amazing figure but not a DCC level/hd 'friendly' figure but she can easily fix this. And she definitely needs more confidence while performing but again, she can totally fix this in one year. I can honestly picture her already with the uniform, while for example I definitely don't think Victoria is a good fit for DCC (at least for now). Both of them will have to prove themselves too and I get why Kelli said they have it worse as legacies. Yes they are getting a huge advantage, but fans will never let them forget that being a legacy is at least one of the reasons they made the team.

• Love 1
On 8/11/2017 at 10:22 PM, dreamcatcher said:

Tbh, I wonder how even an intelligent candidate would answer that. Europe could care less about american football so as a european i would say just don't do it, we are obsessed with our kind of football and make fun of you for calling your version football as well :p

True, but the question was a test to see how informed the candidates were about the goings on in the NFL--ie, the London games abroad.  A more acceptable answer for one who doesn't know would have been, "That's an interesting question.  I'd have to think about that," but what Charlotte probably was looking for was along the lines of, "Well, I know that the Cowboys are playing a game in London this season, so I'd say England."  I'm sure the question had not been designed to see if someone knew that Africa is not a country in Europe and is in fact its own continent.  But it served its purpose by revealing that girl as someone you shouldn't trust to represent pretty much any organization anywhere.

As for how much these ladies should know about politics, whether or not they should get political questions in the interviews, and what is the likelihood that someone will ask them something political:  I liked @ByTor 's suggestion about asking how would you handle talking to someone who is expressing different political views.  But I also would say that the organization needs to be confident that these ladies aren't ignorant AF, because people bring up political questions in conversations, often inappropriately, all the time.  Just yesterday I was at a memorial service, and at the little luncheon after in the church basement, this old guy sitting next to me said out of the blue, "So, what do you think of this North Korea situation?"  I had to respond in a way that was neutral yet informed on the spot (keeping the WTF expression off my face), and continue my neutral responses once he started talking about what he thinks needs to happen in the situation--we were not in agreement at all, but I kept that to myself.  If a DCC were asked something like that on, say a USO tour in South Korea or on Guam, and they didn't have a clue, that likely would be insulting to the military they're visiting and a bad look for the organization.  

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, M1977G said:

I am confused...I watched the preview at the end of the show again...They showed Dayton...but when the question about who the first lady was it was Kalyssa who answered that she did not know...Are you sure that Dayton did, because I did not get that impression from the preview.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, M1977G said:

I agree. For some their first training camp is really more of a starting point for the journey, is there any better way to find out everything you need to know to make the team?

• Love 1

I only saw the Kalyssa clip, @Rosiemac.  I don't own a TV, so I presumed that people were referencing a TV promo that I hadn't seen.  All I've seen are some previews that get posted on Twitter and then the ones at the end of each episode.  This is a good reminder not to just take others' words for something when I haven't seen it myself.  So maybe Dayton does know who FLOTUS is.  I think she does need to work on the other areas I mentioned, though, if she wants to make DCC.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Nope. Nothing to do with any other team unless she has a reputation of being difficult to work with or whatever, but there's no union or universal rules.

She's never been my fave, but I had a scared moment there for a little with flashes of Megan Flaherty and Tessa running thru my head. Serious illness can happen to very healthy, young people. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Surely not! As someone who is chronically ill at a relatively young age, I'd never want that for anyone. As for Holly, I made a lot of stupid decisions in my early 20's. You grow up and learn. I hope it wasn't too serious and it works out in the end.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Smplsimon said:

Mark my words, 15 years from now Holly will look back and weep at the opportunity her immaturity cost her.  Her career is effectively over.  She needed the DCC MUCH MORE than they need her.  Very sad.

See, I think the total opposite. As you get older, you realize how much of this stuff is BS.  

I lovef being in a sorority. I took it very seriously. In retrospect, I realize all of those rules were very eye roll inducing and ridiculous.

Let's be real -- the most recognizable DCC Alumni is famous because she was one DWTS. And she was only on that show because she was dumped on The Bachelor. Being a DCC has zero to do with it.  Although maybe she will never have a successful online boutique or t shirt shop like other DCCs;)

Who knows.  Maybe she will regret it. But it's just as plausible she looks back and thinks "I am glad I got out because that was insane", just like other DCC have.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, Dccfan126 said:

See, I think the total opposite. As you get older, you realize how much of this stuff is BS.  

I lovef being in a sorority. I took it very seriously. In retrospect, I realize all of those rules were very eye roll inducing and ridiculous.

Let's be real -- the most recognizable DCC Alumni is famous because she was one DWTS. And she was only on that show because she was dumped on The Bachelor. Being a DCC has zero to do with it.  Although maybe she will never have a successful online boutique or t shirt shop like other DCCs;)

Who knows.  Maybe she will regret it. But it's just as plausible she looks back and thinks "I am glad I got out because that was insane", just like other DCC have.

I agree that its not the end of the world for Holly. While I don't think that following the rules that you signed up for is BS, she's 20. She will survive just like the other DCCs who have been dismissed have. CMT should do a "where are they now" of the vets who got cut. I'm sure most of them have moved on with their lives, just like the DCCs will move on without Holly.  The Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders are the most prestigious NFL dance team, but there are plenty of other dance jobs out there - in reality, I actually can see her more as a basketball dancer than football. Now, if she did just quit in a tizzy, then she likely will have some regret, but for all we know, this may end up being a blessing if it causes her to grow up and do better at her next job. Hell, she could decide that dance is really her passion and could find something else, like so many other people do in life.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dccfan126 said:

We also have Sarah Shahi, who didn't even make it through her rookie season, and she's had a legit acting career for at least a decade. Kristen Holt, who did an early season of American Idol, and has those cute youtube/facebook lip sync videos with her husband  - cut before TC her second? year. Erica Jenkins, who's worked consistently as a pro dancer, and was basically forced out for weight and attitude. Jasmine who was cut and now on two Bachelor franchises. Probably more if we'd dig a little.

Holly's dance career isn't over by any means.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

We also have Sarah Shahi, who didn't even make it through her rookie season, and she's had a legit acting career for at least a decade. Kristen Holt, who did an early season of American Idol, and has those cute youtube/facebook lip sync videos with her husband  - cut before TC her second? year. Erica Jenkins, who's worked consistently as a pro dancer, and was basically forced out for weight and attitude. Jasmine who was cut and now on two Bachelor franchises. Probably more if we'd dig a little.

Holly's dance career isn't over by any means.

Abigail Klein hasn't done too shabby either with her acting career.   

Am I the only one that feels like Rycroft is more known to the "general" public (vs DCC fans) for Bachelor & DWTS ??

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Rita J said:

Am I the only one that feels like Rycroft is more known to the "general" public (vs DCC fans) for Bachelor & DWTS ??

She definitely is. They talk about her winning DWTS all the time, and act like it was her being a DCC that got her there. They just brush over The Bachelor and the fact she was basically the most humiliated person in the history of the franchise. She got DWTS because she got totally screwed by them on another show!

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Rita J said:

How did I forget Abigail! You're right.

rycroft is absolutely 100% more know as a TV host who got her start on the Bachelor and DwTs. That's the whole reason she's the DCC 'mentor' - not because she's the best retired DCC, but because she's recognizable!and will draw in viewers.

I wonder if they've ever thought about bringing Abigial in as a guest judge or mentor? Not sure where she lives now, but it could be done.

• Love 2

Totally off topic here (sorry) but the other night we rented "Everybody Wants Some" and I totally recognized Victoria Kalina's brother in the movie from pics of them on her IG.  My husband thought I was crazy but I knew I had seen him somewhere.  Does he count?  ?? J/J 

4 hours ago, MamaV said:

I'm glad Madeline made it back this season. She seems really sweet. 

I love her too!  I remember voting for her on the fan vote during her first year of tryouts - she has always impressed me with her dancing.  I'm glad they finally got her look right and she matured a bit from that first year so she could finally be a part of the team.

2 hours ago, Smplsimon said:

I'm sorry, but I don't consider being on The Bachelor "a successful career" . . . 

Preach!

• Love 1

Long time lurker, Dallas-native who (sadly) lives out of state, and I finally have something good enough to say: 

Someone needs to go on a tour of Cowboys Stadium this week. I was in the DFW *this time last year (roughly a week before the first preseason game) and the 2-hour tour includes a stop in both locker rooms.   We walked in and the cheerleaders room was just as glorious as it is on the show. The lockers were already assigned to the new team members, complete with their life-sized cameo photos.  It was glorious. It was kind of weird knowing way in advance of the shows premier who was already on the team, but towards the end of the season it made it more fun to not get sucked into the drama and be like "Ha! You think you're safe this week but you'll get cut at some point, blondie." 

• Love 8
On 8/12/2017 at 11:49 PM, cpope said:

I am new here & anxious to hear any deets on why Heather H and Allie didn't make it this year? Also, does anyone know why Holly & Allie are no longer friends? Oh and btw, I'm LOVING these forum boards!! I just happened across them.

If you look closely at the the end of episode 2, there's a teaser for episode 3. In a scene from the field kick line groups, Heather H is seen really messing up and turning the wrong way, etc. I had to watch very closely several times to see it. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, K10 said:

Long time lurker, Dallas-native who (sadly) lives out of state, and I finally have something good enough to say: 

Someone needs to go on a tour of Cowboys Stadium this week. I was in the DFW *this time last year (roughly a week before the first preseason game) and the 2-hour tour includes a stop in both locker rooms.   We walked in and the cheerleaders room was just as glorious as it is on the show. The lockers were already assigned to the new team members, complete with their life-sized cameo photos.  It was glorious. It was kind of weird knowing way in advance of the shows premier who was already on the team, but towards the end of the season it made it more fun to not get sucked into the drama and be like "Ha! You think you're safe this week but you'll get cut at some point, blondie." 

The only problem is that they have not announced the team yet.  This time last year they had already picked a team, but this year for some reason they are stalling.  

6 minutes ago, mcmrdh said:

The only problem is that they have not announced the team yet.  This time last year they had already picked a team, but this year for some reason they are stalling.  

JMO but I think the team's already finalized and they know it.  Social Media lockdown....

11 minutes ago, DCCFanInKy said:

JMO but I think the team's already finalized and they know it.  Social Media lockdown....

it's not finalized    ;-)

Edited by mcmrdh
15 minutes ago, DCCFanInKy said:

Final Team photo won't be until third week of August which is this week according to someone who works intimately with DCC.  Bring it on!!!

• Love 3
On 8/13/2017 at 5:30 PM, bigskygirl said:

Cassie had knee problems before she tried out for DCC. She reinjured her knee at least twice while being on the team. Should be have been brought back for her fifth year? I think Jay made a good point about if a girl tried out and had an injury she would probably not have made it into TC. I do remember watching the breast cancer awareness practice and Cassie made a mistake that almost caused someone else to get injured because she was still recovering from her knee surgery. To me, having some recovering from an injury to the point her knee could give out on her possibly causing someone else to get injured should be considered when making the decision of should she or should she not be brought back.

Brooke was injured during a Show Group practice. Another girl went into the jump split too early or late causing her injury. In this case, Brooke worked her behind off and came back strong and proved she deserved her spot back.

Thats what I said a few pages back about Cassie's final season injury. Tho I think I forgot what happened in the breast cancer awareness practice. Can you recap what the mistake was? I havent watched that season in a while so I cant remember it well.

As for Holly I wonder who would replace her in her position on Show group. Its strange how Angela thought her tenure would get her a spot on Show group and didn't but then she was Group 4 leader ... isn't Group leader have to be assisting in the leadership of their group, show up as and lead? If one of the judges critised Angela for not showing up for performances etc isn't that a sign that she isn't setting an example to everyone else if shes turning down opportunities etc? eg setting an example to everyone else that you can turn down any opportunities and still manage to become a GL amount other things?

5 minutes ago, Dcc fan said:

Tho I think I forgot what happened in the breast cancer awareness practice. Can you recap what the mistake was? I havent watched that season in a while so I cant remember it well.

Was she doing some sort of lift with the Spirit guys and almost got dropped?

Just now, DCCFanInKy said:

Was she doing some sort of lift with the Spirit guys and almost got dropped?

I don't know. I don't remember seeing or (I don't remember) how Cassie injured herself again. thats why I asked. No idea what happened to Cassie in that scene.

24 minutes ago, Dcc fan said:

Thats what I said a few pages back about Cassie's final season injury. Tho I think I forgot what happened in the breast cancer awareness practice. Can you recap what the mistake was? I havent watched that season in a while so I cant remember it well.

As for Holly I wonder who would replace her in her position on Show group. Its strange how Angela thought her tenure would get her a spot on Show group and didn't but then she was Group 4 leader ... isn't Group leader have to be assisting in the leadership of their group, show up as and lead? If one of the judges critised Angela for not showing up for performances etc isn't that a sign that she isn't setting an example to everyone else if shes turning down opportunities etc? eg setting an example to everyone else that you can turn down any opportunities and still manage to become a GL amount other things?

I think they were referring to the year she got married/was planning her wedding and that essentially she just didn't go above and beyond. She was only doing a couple engagements instead of doing as many as possible to show them how much she cared. For me, they wanted her on show group but wanted to punish her, which was stupid. If Jenna is allowed to change her minde about retirement just to get pro bowl or whatever, Angela had every right to try out for show group-it's a legit reason imo to stay and much better than getting pro bowl or even being point.

50 minutes ago, dreamcatcher said:

I think they were referring to the year she got married/was planning her wedding and that essentially she just didn't go above and beyond. She was only doing a couple engagements instead of doing as many as possible to show them how much she cared. For me, they wanted her on show group but wanted to punish her, which was stupid. If Jenna is allowed to change her minde about retirement just to get pro bowl or whatever, Angela had every right to try out for show group-it's a legit reason imo to stay and much better than getting pro bowl or even being point.

51 minutes ago, dreamcatcher said:

I think they were referring to the year she got married/was planning her wedding and that essentially she just didn't go above and beyond. She was onl y doing a couple engagements instead of doing as many as possible to show them how much she cared. For me, they wanted her on show group but wanted to punish her, which was stupid. If Jenna is allowed to change her minde about retirement just to get pro bowl or whatever, Angela had every right to try out for show group-it's a legit reason imo to stay and much better than getting pro bowl or even being point.

I believe it was Shelly that announced during the show group auditions that Angela had turned down appearances.  I was surprised Angela thought it was a given and I wondered if anything had been said to her for her to believe that.  But Angela did go to London with the group, which I assumed was show group, but maybe it was just the vets?  I can't remember the timing of the London trip. 

Rewatched Season 10 Show Group auditions, and I do not think they were talking about Angela getting married when she was turning down a lot of appearances. Yes, she was getting married in her home country, but she is not the first DCC to get married, have work situations, or going to school. It does look like they allowed her to do her swimsuit fittings before getting married and go on the swimsuit calendar shoot after getting married after she came back, so they obviously were willing to work with her. She also said she was trying out for show group for three years, so I am guessing she was turning down appearances before she got married and after she got married. She wanted to go on the USO tour and spend time with her friends. In otherwords, why go on regular appearances when I can go on a USO tours to other countries and spend time with certain friends instead. I think Kelli was not too happy about the turning down of a lot of appearances and only wanting to do Show Group appearances instead. Angela knew she would be expected to do regular appearances when she tried out, so why turn them down especially when Show Group members are expected to do regular appearances also. Plus if she did not have the time and commitment to do regular appearances what would have done when she had to come in for Show Group practices or Show Group performances/appearances. Kelli and Judy may have thought if she could not have the time and commitment for regular appearances, she will not have the time for Show Group. She was not being punished for decision to pick and choose which appearances she wanted. She knew what was expected of her, and she decided to take another route.

In the breast cancer awareness practice, the guys threw Cassie, but she felt like her legs were going to give out on her, so she flip back too far causing the guys not to catch her. If she felt she was not strong enough to do the shunts, she should not have been in this part of the routine in my opinion. One of the guys ended up with a black eye. Another reason why the judges should have thought of when voting to keep a veteran who had numerous knee injuries. I hate to think what would have happened if her knee gave out while doing the shunts or the kick line/jump split.

So here is my guess ... Holly isn't on the team anymore but it wasn't a bad thing.  My guess is she maybe left the team early because of a dance opportunity on some show or because she was hired for xyz.  My guess is she had a great opportunity and she and K+J departed on decent terms. 

8 hours ago, DCCFanInKy said:

Hey I have a question. Did anyone notice Kelsey Bond has her DCC extension back? Or was it always like that?

1 minute ago, CompassionPatched said:

Hey I have a question. Did anyone notice Kelsey Bond has her DCC extension back? Or was it always like that?

I don't think she ever got rid of it; even when she retired.

Just now, MrsEVH said:

I don't think she ever got rid of it; even when she retired.

I wonder why some get to keep it then? Anyone know?

8 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

Everyone here has been wondering why she got to keep it.

Edited by CompassionPatched
wrong year sorry
4 minutes ago, CompassionPatched said:

Yes, like her Aug 3rd tweet confused me. I didn't know she was at HOF.

I think that picture is from when she was on the squad, maybe her last year? 

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

I think that picture is from when she was on the squad, maybe her last year? 

Yes, I just realized that. Sorry. Man I hate being the newbie on here. Man how do people on here remember so many details. I feel unworthy..........

Edited by CompassionPatched
5 minutes ago, CompassionPatched said:

Yes, I just realized that. Sorry. Man I hate being the newbie on here. Man how do people on here remember so many details. I feel unworthy..........

Stick around long enough and you will.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, mcmrdh said:

it's not finalized    ;-)

I'm saying it again, its the best year ever to be a TCC.  The odds are in your favor to make the squad.  Vets dropping like flies...

• Love 1
On 8/13/2017 at 1:44 AM, Rita J said:

Wait... Sam might be trying out?  I've followed her for a while now on IG and I haven't seen her indicate that she would want to try out. She's too smart to subject herself to that (I think).   She seems to have other interests. I believe she cheered when she was younger but I don't think she was all about dance. Besides, she gets to have all this fun being so close to the DCC without having to subject herself to all the scrutiny. She commented on Dayton's May 15  post ....

"So incredibly proud of you Day! You had the courage to do what I, and many others, probably never will !!! I love you so much! "

Super sweet.  

On this topic though, I'll be curious to see how they treat Victoria Kalina next year when she tries out.  

I totally LOVE to watch Victoria dance!! She's taken lots and lots of classes this past Winter, Spring, and Summer. The only thing that I would like to see be stronger from her is her "power & projection". I can see it improving tho. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, K10 said:

I went last weekend. Nothing changed in the locker room. 

All the retirees were still up.

Edited by Oklahomama
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, lfedncr said:

Haven't enough already if you back to Mandy and the vets they retired .  ?

Is Jenna still on the team? She, without doubt, has not been a good vet or beacon of guiding light to these 2017 training camp candidates or 2017 squad. This is sad because I WAS a huge fan since her rookie year but in the last year or so she has changed. The "Thirst" is real with this one. How much attention does she need? Kelli and Judy handed her the reins in a very straightforward manner before auditions and this is the way she thanks them? By making bad decisions and being disciplined/placed on probation? Jenna for lack of a better term is a disgruntled employee and has become toxic. Please don't let that toxicity spread to the rest of the squad...

• Love 7
4 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Wasn't Angela also on weight warning that year?

She was called into the office in her rookie year for weight, but the scene was not shown. I have no idea if she was called in for weight her last year.