Type keyword(s) to search

2017 Tryouts and Training Camp: Candidates Included

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

Maybe she has a sprained ankle or knee problems? (you know me and Taylor Swift so ignore this reference guys lol) but Taylor sprained her ankle during her 1989 tour and was wearing heels with an ankle brace for awhile there.

I think she or Kelli will def be more forthcoming if the need arises. 

She is def injury prone though, yikes...wasn't it just the calendar trip last year that she hurt herself? i remember she didn't even walk in the fashion show or do some of the touristy stuff, just took photos. 

• Love 2
On 7/6/2017 at 0:55 PM, Gabrielle Tracy said:

Two things I wonder:  Does anyone ever get their heel caught in the turf when they're going down in the jump split?  That would cause serious damage, I think.  Also, I always wondered why girls who have been dancing for years show up at auditions not being able to do the high kicks.  It's not like anyone wakes up the day of auditions and says, "Hmm, I think I'll try out for the DCC today" (well, maybe some people do!) so why don't they get their kicks in order BEFORE they show up at AT&T Stadium?

Can you tell I'm trying to avoid work today?

Having done jump splits for 4 seasons on turf & hard floors YES, they can be dangerous & injury prone.  I tore the big (name?)muscle running from the inner thigh from knee to crotch early on.  Excruciating doesn't begin to cover the pain.  Healing took 6 weeks (no doc visit; this was the "olden" days 1983). The good no great news = I  NEVER had an issue with doing the splits again!  

Unfortunately, 2 years ago this injury caught up with me.  I went to see an ortho foot surgeon re a painful bump on my heel.  Long story short...it stemmed from this jump split incident over 30 years ago.  The doc sent me to a physical therapist for ASTYM (look it up)therapy.  I thought childbirth was hell...OMG.  10 sessions of torture later & I was fixed.  Thank heavens for modern medicine.

The trick for me with doing a pretty, safe & BIG j-split was a strong leap & full extension.  We worked on kicking our front legs heel up...as in, pulling toes towards the shin.  We did splits in both boots & heels so catching a heel was always a concern.  Women who couldn't properly leap & extend could be the most dangerous.  Especially if you are the one unfortunate enough to be next to them in the kick line.

• Love 7

I wrote that⤵

1 hour ago, Tootie said:

Don't know how to get this box out of my post.  I was going to quote TC image then the image didn't show up and it won't let you delete the whole text box and start over so @Tootie sorry your name got into here, I am still trying to figure out these boards.  

3 hours ago, M1977G said:

Until practice ends and Kelli calls folks into the office... 

This is more a past thing but at Valley Ranch, right before an after-practice office session, they'd always show an outside evening shot of the Cinderblock Studio (as I referred to it) along with a full moon, as if DOOM awaited those who entered the office...

• Love 1

I think it was Abigail's rookie year the last time e they did a sit down dinner etiquette.  I remember thinking, "how in the world is this relevant to being an NFL cheerleader?!"

• Love 3

I liked the dining etiquette segment they showed (I don't remember the season).  The thing I didn't get, though, was that they included  French onion soup.  It's certainly yummy, but I don't care HOW ladylike you are, no way in hell can anyone eat it without looking like you have no manners.  The thing that should be taught about French onion soup is to not eat it in public...at least that's how I handle it :)

• Love 10

I'm actually interested in seeing this if it's a segment, maybe at least for rookies. The team goes to the Cowboys Christmas party every year and I think showgroup may run into dining opportunities during some appearances. 

• Love 2
(edited)
55 minutes ago, Ante said:

I think it was Abigail's rookie year the last time e they did a sit down dinner etiquette.  I remember thinking, "how in the world is this relevant to being an NFL cheerleader?!"

I remember it from seasons 1 (2006) and 2 (2007).  Not sure if they did it in season 3; hope they show it this year.

Edited by MrsEVH

Cameos took all day...literally 7:30-midnight, so naturally no practice. Rookie nights are just that...rookies only with one or two upper Vets & staff. Many times on rookie nights, there are shows or appearances that Vets are attending. 

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Ante said:

Relevant because many times the girls are out to dinner with corporate clients or dignitaries on tour. Nothing worse than watching or listening to someone lacking table manners. 

Edited by ShellyB
  • Love 13

Every time I see French onion soup on a menu, I can just hear Natalie Woods saying "there's a lot going on in French Onion soup" as Abigail wrestles with the cheese.  And then you hear the whistle blow:)

• Love 6
11 hours ago, twinkietwin94 said:

Hmm dining etiquette, can't decide if this will be interesting to watch or just odd

That's right you haven't seen much of the past seasons have you? It's EPIC! I learned the proper way to eat french onion soup in the presence of anyone other than my husband, because he doesn't care if I eat like a monkey and neither do I.

• Love 2

I personally think that "dinner" when the girls are at a DCC working dinner is a verb and not a noun.

Of course they're going to eat with people around them, but they're not there to lick their plate and like, make a food baby. They're there to socialize, dine, make others comfortable, entertain, be ambassadors and while they're at it, sample some delicious eats. The dessert shown above from Judy's pic, I'm sure, isn't intended to be picked up and crammed into Ones mouth, it is intended to be sampled delicately.

Obvi the girls have to be constantly in training mode with their diet, this is just a time they get to try things they normally may not be able to afford or wouldn't indulge in.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

Every time I see French onion soup on a menu, I can just hear Natalie Woods saying "there's a lot going on in French Onion soup" as Abigail wrestles with the cheese.  And then you hear the whistle blow:)

Don't ever snip the cheese with your fingers!!!?

49 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

That's right you haven't seen much of the past seasons have you? It's EPIC! I learned the proper way to eat french onion soup in the presence of anyone other than my husband, because he doesn't care if I eat like a monkey and neither do I.

Is that an edible glass holding that dessert?   

• Love 1
1 minute ago, DCCroutineFAN said:

YUUUUMMMYYYY   -and this was on the plate of the one who said she was of jealous because she couldn't eat cookie dough.  

I mean if you have the ability to eat less cookie dough than there are cubic inches of dessert on that plate...well, LUCKY YOU!

• Love 2
11 hours ago, ShellyB said:

Relevant because many times the girls are out to dinner with corporate clients or dignitaries on tour. Nothing worse than watching or listening to someone lacking table manners. 

No, I get that now but at the time of the airing, I did not know all of the different types of individuals the girls were exposed to.  

2 hours ago, QuiteCalM said:

The dessert shown above from Judy's pic, I'm sure, isn't intended to be picked up and crammed into Ones mouth, it is intended to be sampled delicately.

Well that's disappointing to me--if I ever have one of those in that photo.

• Love 3

Table etiquette is part of getting the DCC Southern Lady polish. I actually found it to be an interesting class/social dimension when watching the older segment y'all mentioned with Abigail. A number of the TCCs and cheerleaders do not come from families or environments that follow formal or semi-formal dining rules and they have no idea how to navigate a fancy dinner with four forks or follow basic table rules. Even ladies from fairly wealthy families may grow up in households where dining is pretty informal and/or they don't eat a range of foods that might be served at a fancy event. It's old school but revealing that not knowing proper dining etiquette is a quick giveaway of a non-elite background and can produce embarrassment for the one who is out of their element (or for the organization they are representing). Having a grasp on the rules and customs allows people to move effectively or at least not embarrassingly across some social circles and arenas. This is part of the perfect Southern lady package the DCC are expected to embody, and it probably does prove helpful to some, even outside of DCC world. This goes along with their speaking and elocution training, though I think that only some girls get that and I think fewer girls who need it have made it into camp these last few years. I remember Kimber, possibly from the same season as the French onion soup session, having to speak to Kelli in front of the group about a current event and she struggled, both with knowing about current affairs and speaking well in the situation. Kelli also corrected her grammar in an office discussion or two. Folks rightly have commented on here in the past about the apparent level of privilege many DCC seem to have (rolling up to auditions and practice in fancy cars, carrying designer handbags everywhere, years of studio dance lessons and prep classes under their belts, growing up in houses with dance studios inside, degrees from elite colleges and universities, etc.). But I think that much of what is expected of DCCs is hard to achieve without money and a middle-class or higher upbringing. It's possible, of course, but unless you're Nicole Hamilton, it's hard to waltz in without years of dance training and make the team. I am defending nothing here, one way or the other, just musing on some of the class and gender dynamics I've found interesting about being one of America's Sweethearts. I hope we get to see a segment from this year's session! With an expanded season, they should take advantage of the space to show us more of what goes into being a DCC. BUT, I really am hoping that, more than outside fluff stuff, they make sure to give us more dancing! I want to see group leaders and seconds leading rehearsals and rookies dancing waaaay more than I want to see cheerleader fork training. 

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, M1977G said:

Table etiquette is part of getting the DCC Southern Lady polish. I actually found it to be an interesting class/social dimension when watching the older segment y'all mentioned with Abigail. A number of the TCCs and cheerleaders do not come from families or environments that follow formal or semi-formal dining rules and they have no idea how to navigate a fancy dinner with four forks or follow basic table rules. Even ladies from fairly wealthy families may grow up in households where dining is pretty informal and/or they don't eat a range of foods that might be served at a fancy event. It's old school but revealing that not knowing proper dining etiquette is a quick giveaway of a non-elite background and can produce embarrassment for the one who is out of their element (or for the organization they are representing). Having a grasp on the rules and customs allows people to move effectively or at least not embarrassingly across some social circles and arenas. This is part of the perfect Southern lady package the DCC are expected to embody, and it probably does prove helpful to some, even outside of DCC world. This goes along with their speaking and elocution training, though I think that only some girls get that and I think fewer girls who need it have made it into camp these last few years. I remember Kimber, possibly from the same season as the French onion soup session, having to speak to Kelli in front of the group about a current event and she struggled, both with knowing about current affairs and speaking well in the situation. Kelli also corrected her grammar in an office discussion or two. Folks rightly have commented on here in the past about the apparent level of privilege many DCC seem to have (rolling up to auditions and practice in fancy cars, carrying designer handbags everywhere, years of studio dance lessons and prep classes under their belts, growing up in houses with dance studios inside, degrees from elite colleges and universities, etc.). But I think that much of what is expected of DCCs is hard to achieve without money and a middle-class or higher upbringing. It's possible, of course, but unless you're Nicole Hamilton, it's hard to waltz in without years of dance training and make the team. I am defending nothing here, one way or the other, just musing on some of the class and gender dynamics I've found interesting about being one of America's Sweethearts. I hope we get to see a segment from this year's session! With an expanded season, they should take advantage of the space to show us more of what goes into being a DCC. BUT, I really am hoping that, more than outside fluff stuff, they make sure to give us more dancing! I want to see group leaders and seconds leading rehearsals and rookies dancing waaaay more than I want to see cheerleader fork training. 

I agree with all this, but want to add that even middle class and working class families don't, for the most part, spend as much time eating nightly or weekly at the 'family dinner table'. I personally see so many people under 25 who grew up 'on the run' with both parents working and shuffling kids to various after school activities, so you graze or grab and go in the car quite a bit. I think everybody can benefit from more dining etiquette, but especially these girls, who are definitely going to be eating in public as part of their jobs. They may not really know how to eat french onion soup or to dissect a weird dessert, but simple things like passing the salt with the pepper or properly cutting meat are becoming lost arts.

• Love 8
23 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

She could have anything from a concussion to GI or female issues, and still 'look' healthy. Whatever is going on, she's chosen to keep it private. I hope she gets whatever is going on resolved and comes back this fall.

Good God this. No disrespect to anyone but I've had three MAJOR surgeries. I was working out, going to work and enjoying my life before each of them, despite the fact that I have several potentially debilitating diagnoses and was usually in pain to one degree or another. 

If you post pics of yourself sick, you're an attention seeking whiner. If post pics of yourself doing the best you can despite your pain, you're faking it. Can't win. 

2 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Well that's disappointing to me--if I ever have one of those in that photo.

I mean, I'd order several and eat em like a dog with my mouth. 

• Love 11
5 hours ago, QuiteCalM said:

Good God this. No disrespect to anyone but I've had three MAJOR surgeries. I was working out, going to work and enjoying my life before each of them, despite the fact that I have several potentially debilitating diagnoses and was usually in pain to one degree or another. 

If you post pics of yourself sick, you're an attention seeking whiner. If post pics of yourself doing the best you can despite your pain, you're faking it. Can't win. 

I mean, I'd order several and eat em like a dog with my mouth. 

Yes!!! So much! I look completely healthy. I have MS, Addison's disease (that makes me steroid dependent-I've gained 20 lbs in 2 yrs), CRPS-a chronic pain disease that developed from a tendon surgery in my ankle,  2 strokes, the last one leaving me with horrible headaches daily. Aside from a small stitch in my walk and an occasional memory lapse and terrible handwriting, I look 100% normal. Although taking a shower and dressing is exhausting. I can't even wear button pants yet. I used to be a marathoner, triathlete, always energetic to lie in bed all day. I'm only 42. It sucks to look normal and feel awful. Hopefully, Erica's is nothing serious! I wish I looked as good as her injured because I sure don't lol. 

I also agree with the whole damnedif you do, damned if you don't. If I post + stuff, wow, you're better!! If I'm down, I'm drawing attention to my illnesses. Can't win. Lol, I just noticed we both said can't win QC! Ha.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

Then the etiquette lady says "Abigail, Abigail, Abigail".

• Love 5

Can anyone help me? I'm rewatching old seasons and have got to season 10. I can't remember which (now 3rd year) girls are in training camp this year (well apart from Holly!). I remember someone posted ages ago the vets that had made it from each year, but I can't seem to find it, anyone know where the list is?

1 hour ago, Nelliephant said:

Can anyone help me? I'm rewatching old seasons and have got to season 10. I can't remember which (now 3rd year) girls are in training camp this year (well apart from Holly!). I remember someone posted ages ago the vets that had made it from each year, but I can't seem to find it, anyone know where the list is?

Holly, Amy L, Bess, Simone, Stephanie, Robin, KaShara & Chantel

• Love 4

Have we confirmed if erin was cut or not? Can't remember. I saw she's at Disneyland right now and thought that was odd unless rookies get a few practices off

6 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

Have we confirmed if erin was cut or not? Can't remember. I saw she's at Disneyland right now and thought that was odd unless rookies get a few practices off

She was the first cut.

On 7/7/2017 at 2:15 PM, Rosiemac said:
FYI Celinda and Taryn were in the IG live shot but would be on the far left if the photo would have been wider.

Anyone understand why this is a #fullcirclemoment?? 

(edited)
15 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

Could it be he was a student of Kitty Carter's Dance Factory and now he is teaching?

Edited by Rosiemac
  • Love 2

He's a former student of Kitty's that went on to be a backup dancer for Britney Spears, Janet Jackson and then on to choreograph on the convention circuit and many artists. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Oranaiche said:

She was the first cut.

Clearly I haven't been paying attention lol

OMG one of the girls posted in their IG story the 'cryo burns' TCC Molly got on the back of her calves?! YIKES.  i get that there are definite benefits to cold therapy but i think i'd still stick to ice baths, thanks.  what happened to her is one of my cryo nightmares :( 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, ShellyB said:

He's a former student of Kitty's that went on to be a backup dancer for Britney Spears, Janet Jackson and then on to choreograph on the convention circuit and many artists. 

Thank ya! I stalked his Insta and I have decided that I love him and he is amazing. And pretty. And knows lots of pretty people. And he's awesome.

• Love 1
Just now, Oranaiche said:

Haha, easy to miss stuff this time of year when the boards move so fast.

Someone needs to do an updated list of all those cut!

1 minute ago, heatherrrrz said:

Someone needs to do an updated list of all those cut!

So far Erin, Madeline Molloy, and Brianna. If anyone else has been cut, I haven't heard. Sorry it's not a very fancy list! Haha.

• Love 4