Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Must Be A Guy Thing

• Start Topic

This one is kinda boring, but it does set up a lot - introducing Susan, introducing Toni, setting up the Steve/Claire pairing, setting up the David/Valerie pairing.  Plus more scintillating Kelly being a bitch!

Now while most might argue that this role is Rebecca Gayheart's most memorable contribution to pop culture, I maintain it is in fact her performances at the end of "Urban Legend".

• Love 1

I do have to say that, as annoying as he was when it began, Brandon's relationship with Susan was the only one I ever enjoyed for him (well, besides Nikki in high school). She was definitely too good for him but, still, she kept him on his toes and made him a little more tolerable for a time.

I hated Susan.  She was another annoying hypocrite.  So I guess her and Brandon were perfect together.

Although good lord, what the hell with Brandon grabbing her by the arm?  Who does he think he is, Ray?

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, kermitmissesjim said:

Oh, but the over-the-top sexist Bray-ing he does when they break up is one of the top ten worst Brandon moments in the entire series. It still makes my blood boil when I think about it.

YOU TOOK THE JOB?!?!  Gawd, he was the worst.  I get that he was upset but he was awful screaming in her face like that.

• Love 1

In other news, where are all the Condor staff members/writers who spent two years being "little fish" working on the paper, but then had a (paid, as if, there's no getting paid on a college paper) column handed over to a guy who just walked in off the street.

ETA...another thing I just thought of.  Wasn't Josh planning on still being the paper's managing editor and being student body president?  So why did that prevent Brandon from being on the paper if he suddenly loves journalism-ing again.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

Wait, Brandon's love interest this season is Susan? I was so convinced it was Tracy that I actually listened to the podcast earlier and misheard the name every time (granted, I listen while doing chorse) and it's only *now* that I've realised. I even perked up at the bit where you guys mentioned Emma Caufield thinking 'that's weird, I remember her playing Susan, not Tracy'. This is how interchangeable Brandon's women are to me in this era of the show. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

In other news, where are all the Condor staff members/writers who spent two years being "little fish" working on the paper, but then had a (paid, as if, there's no getting paid on a college paper) column handed over to a guy who just walked in off the street.

ETA...another thing I just thought of.  Wasn't Josh planning on still being the paper's managing editor and being student body president?  So why did that prevent Brandon from being on the paper if he suddenly loves journalism-ing again.

My guess is that the writers couldn't be bothered thinking through or go with he couldn't be bothered. 

21 hours ago, gesundheit said:

I do have to say that, as annoying as he was when it began, Brandon's relationship with Susan was the only one I ever enjoyed for him (well, besides Nikki in high school). She was definitely too good for him but, still, she kept him on his toes and made him a little more tolerable for a time.

Yes. I thought Susan and Brandon's relationship was the best one he had on the show. They didn't fight every second and they had chemistry. I just never saw the chemistry between kelly and brandon except during the washington episodes. The way susan effed him over at the end was ridiculous though, so I honestly don't blame brandon for being mad.

Edited by Jaclyn88
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, AndySmith said:

I sometimes wonder if the Brandon/Susan coupling was the Brandon/Andrea coupling we were supposed to get? Or something like it?

susan was the more attractive version of onnndrea, so yeah i can see that.

• Love 1

Why when Ahhdrea was trying out to work on the paper they didn't mention the staff writers were paid? 

Cuz it was pulled out of their asses after the fact and in rl people aren't paid on university school papers? 

Dylan and Toni are likable together... could be the actors' chemistry, could be that it's the first time since early seasons Brenda era that Dylan isn't a sullen mope or angry douche to his love interest. 

I've had about enough of Ray. 

Colin's art is some of the ugliest shit I've ever seen in my life. His inane ramblings about it also irritate me but I can see why someone like Kelly would be enthralled with both. 

• Love 2

You might be right about the actors having chemistry more than the characters.  About two years later, Perry and Gayheart played a couple in a mini-series called Invasion.  I remember Gayheart talking about how much she enjoyed working with him.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

I remember the big Tracy moment of finding Kelly's engagement ring and then being told it wasn't for her. Also, what 20 year old holds onto a ring they can't afford for years (now that I know he's making payments on it)? The fuck? I keep receipts for $20 TJ Maxx jewelry in case I have 2nd thoughts. 

• Love 5
On Thursday, February 09, 2017 at 1:19 PM, benteen said:

I hated Susan.  She was another annoying hypocrite.  So I guess her and Brandon were perfect together.

They were perfect together because they are so much alike.  But Susan was so damn unlikeable for most of the entire season.  What's even worse, is she made Brandon look better.

12 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Yes. I thought Susan and Brandon's relationship was the best one he had on the show. They didn't fight every second and they had chemistry. I just never saw the chemistry between kelly and brandon except during the washington episodes. The way susan effed him over at the end was ridiculous though, so I honestly don't blame brandon for being mad.

Yeah, I hated to, but had to side with Brandon this one.  She was a straight up bitch to force him to give up his job offer solely because they had summer plans, only for her to accept hers on the spot on some feminism bullshit.  I would have totally been there with her if she had the decency to speak with him first before making her final decision, like he did with her.  Also, the whole Jonathan thing was also nonsense that only continued because of her.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

They were perfect together because they are so much alike.  But Susan was so damn unlikeable for most of the entire season.  What's even worse, is she made Brandon look better.

Yeah, I hated to, but had to side with Brandon this one.  She was a straight up bitch to force him to give up his job offer solely because they had summer plans, only for her to accept hers on the spot on some feminism bullshit.  I would have totally been there with her if she had the decency to speak with him first before making her final decision, like he did with her.  Also, the whole Jonathan thing was also nonsense that only continued because of her.

I think you summed this up perfectly.  Even I was on Brandon's side on this one.

This is the season where Steve dates Hillary Swank, right?  Carly?  Best thing that ever happened to her was being let go.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, benteen said:

This is the season where Steve dates Hillary Swank, right?  Carly?  Best thing that ever happened to her was being let go.

I don't think that's until after college, so like a looooong ways away. Once he and Claire hook up in the next couple of episodes, they date for the rest of college until she moves to France (I think) with her dad because they have a weird relationship.

I normally liked Susan but she had some weird moments.  Didn't she cause an avalanche and a search/rescue on the ski slopes because she forced Brandon to ski in a ropes off area? Also, doesn't she get all excited that he made the bed after they boinked?  

Susan is still a million times better than Tracey.  

• Love 2

Dylan seemed most attracted to Kelly when he or she was with someone else.  That's what seemed to attract her the most to him.  Screwing someone over in the process, whether it was his current girlfriend or his own best friend.

• Love 3
On 2/11/2017 at 5:08 AM, luckyroll3 said:

Yeah, I hated to, but had to side with Brandon this one.  She was a straight up bitch to force him to give up his job offer solely because they had summer plans, only for her to accept hers on the spot on some feminism bullshit.

UGH and that was the worst! Because of COURSE FEMINISM is to blame for the honourable, noble male getting his fee fees hurt. Yuck. I remember hating that "twist" and hating even more that I agreed with Brandon (don't make me side with Brandon, SHOW!) I wasn't a huge fan of Susan and Brandon, because the His Girl Friday routine was tired and I agree with Sarah that the Susan Hepburn Patrician voice was annoying.

Also annoying... forever? Colin. I just wish they had cast someone hotter, you know? That way you could understand why Kelly would be so dickmatized that she would get all jealous over his knowing Val and later become his CokeWhore (can't wait!) Like, f'instance, you could almost understand why Diane Lane would cheat on Richard Gere with a young hot Olivier Martinez, because he was (back then) smoking hot. This dude (not even going to bother to look him up) never did it for me and he just looks like a generic, squirrelly little DudeBro. Do not buy for a second that Val - the Goddess!! -  would be so into him. Now that I'm thinking about it, Kelly really has shitty taste in men. Stick Insect, Wee Bray and Dude Bros.

Tracy was a drip. That is all.

• Love 3

How long is Ray on this flipping show? I thought he was on just a few episodes to introduce his own new show ... The Heights or something like that? ... a la Melrose Place. Am I making this up? Have I dreamt up sequels to 90210 that don't actually exist? The horror.

52 minutes ago, STOPSHOUTING said:

How long is Ray on this flipping show? I thought he was on just a few episodes to introduce his own new show ... The Heights or something like that? ... a la Melrose Place. Am I making this up? Have I dreamt up sequels to 90210 that don't actually exist? The horror.

The Heights was actually before 90210, so you're not imagining it but it wasn't a spin off. And he's on for way longer than I remembered. There's some bullshit coming up I guess I had blocked from my mind. Sigh. He's around for a lot of this season. 

17 hours ago, STOPSHOUTING said:

16 hours ago, Lisin said:

The Heights was actually before 90210, so you're not imagining it but it wasn't a spin off. And he's on for way longer than I remembered. There's some bullshit coming up I guess I had blocked from my mind. Sigh. He's around for a lot of this season. 

He's in the first half of this season, so only 312 more episodes to go.  And then he shows up in Vegas (can't remember if that was this season or the next one).

• Love 1

I guess I'm a dork, but I thought Brandon's and Dylan''s banter was amusing. "You bought the college, didn't you?" made me LOL. Maybe it's because I'm not watching any of this, just listening to the podcast.

Also, the college in my hometown, Montana State, had a paper with a paid staff.

I actually thought Brandon's list of things wrong with college girls was kinda funny. Especially since it's true, none of the women on the show have a sense of humor.

Edited by Onfire444
  • Love 1