Type keyword(s) to search

Working Your Angles: ANTM in the Media

I'm pretty sure I would watch a reality show that followed India and Courtney as they tried to make it in the biz. Courtney, on the show, was at her best when with India and india is just the best. I'd watch them going on go sees together, doing fashion shows and working with India's charity, living in a house together and bickering about doing the dishes.

• Love 8

Yeah, because it's all Rita's fault and not because they changed networks, focused far too little on actual photo shoots or the fact that half the audience used to tune in to watch Tyrant be her insane self. So technically, it's Tyra's fault the ratings slipped. She left the show, took it to another network and changed the format being exec producer she's got no one to blame but herself.

Rita isn't the best, but she hardly sunk the show. They are basically starting from scratch, all our old favorites, Miss J, Mr Jay, Tyra, Nigel, all gone now. I will admit, I am loving Drew and Law and I like Rita well enough. She seems to care about this silly process. Ashley, IMO is the weak link here and utterly useless despite actually being a model. She does remind me most of Tyra in that all her "advice" is basically about how great she is. I would replace her with Stacey who I think could give good advice and be a bit less full of herself. But I know Ashley has a lot of fans so I know my opinion is not unanimous.

• Love 5

Rita, I think, is the least of this show's problems.

Was she an odd choice for host?  Yes, she was, seeing as most people don't really know her.  I knew her because she turns up on a fashion blog I read.

The time change probably had more to do with the ratings dive than anything else.  Also, the eliminations hurt.  As much as I never got the big deal over Justine or Marissa or even Cherish, people did like them (especially the latter two for adding some crazy).  People also would have been fine with Binta staying longer again for the crazy and of course people were pissed when Paige and especially Courtney were eliminated.  Most people didn't like the twins or appreciate Cory and Tati staying as long as they did.

The lack of photo shoots hurt and there were too many video/music challenges.  Even though it's true that models nowadays have to be versatile, when your show has the word "model" in it, people expect to see the things they normally associate with a model.  While social media is a big thing now, this show needs a better way of integrating it into the show.  This is where you probably could use the help of a modeling agency.  While in the past they frowned on their models yakking about jobs on social media, that has changed.  Models are encouraged to have a presence on-line.

People did miss Tyra although, Tyra wasn't always perfect so I was fine with her not being around.  In the latter cycles, it was obvious she wasn't all that into it.  Drew I can deal with because in my opinion he's no worse as a "creative director" than Mr. Jay was.  While I liked Mr. Jay, he usually only gave useful advice after the shoots based on bonus clips.  Although, regardless of feedback he gave Tyra about a shoot and how a model did on it, if she wanted a girl gone that was it.  She did that a number of times so she wasn't exactly being fair and balanced either.  Law is okay on the exit interviews but he does nothing for me otherwise.  Ashley was the biggest disappointment.  While I love Stacey (she was good on CNTM too) I don't know if she'd even want to do this full-time.  She does have her own projects along with modeling still.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

Was she an odd choice for host?  Yes, she was, seeing as most people don't really know her.

I'm guessing she was a requirement if Rimmel was going to sponsor the show as she is there spokesperson. Which means Tyra didn't pick her. Which means Tyra is going to blame her for everything. hahaha Never change TyTy

Not gonna lie, I would watch a Janice Dickinson hosted season.

• Love 1

I would watch Janice too even though I also watched her on her train wreck Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency and let's get real, no way would Tyra let her back into the ANTM fold as much as Janice has trash-talked Tyra over the years.

I also agree with her about Tyra and AGT.  At least one blog I follow is not happy about Tyra replacing Nick Cannon.

Edited by milkyaqua

Oh, please.  Tyra is nothing if not about her Tyra-ness.  The only hope is that with AGT also on her plate, she'll be a little more subdued.

I wouldn't mind Miss Jay being back though he seems to be keeping himself occupied.  Mr. Jay has his cosmetics line that keeps him busy.  I'm okay with Drew coming back and iffy on Ashley.  Law serves no real purpose for me though.  And that is really what I'm really interested in is who exactly is Tyra going to have on panel with her?

• Love 1

I think I am more interested in the panel...would love Drew back as well, Law can come back because he did have some pretty funny one-liners, and I agree Stacey should replace Ashley, who was good at the beginning but became self-indulgent by the end.

• Love 2

No, please, no more Stacey McKenzie.  I can't stand her and don't want to see her face on my TV screen ever again.  Her idea of advice is "don't try and out-diva me, bitch". 

• Love 3

Lol, so Tyra got her way afterall.

I don't mind having Tyra back but I enjoyed this last season because the elimination order makes more sense. If Tyra is in the panel, for sure Tatiana would have won.

I hope we can get Law and Drew back. Ashley can go, please.

• Love 1

Yay I much prefer Tyra over Rita so I am glad she's back. I would also eliminate Ashley Graham, Law Roach and Drew and replace them with the original recipe versions: Janice Dickinson, Miss Jay and Nigel Barker, with Mr. Jay back as the creative director.

• Love 1

I like Stacey (she was good on CNTM) but I doubt she'd do this show full-time anyway.  Ashley is iffy.  She (really none of the panel) offered no useful advice (at least that the audience was shown).  Law is pretty pointless although he was fine during the interviews.  Drew was okay (he was probably the best of the bunch).

Mr. Jay has a make-up line that's doing okay.  As creative director he was really not that much better than Drew.  Pretty much his "creative" input consisted of telling the girls to look fierce or something or give them some sort of vague instruction.  He was just more calm about it than Drew.  He really didn't instruct them (he would usually give them advice AFTER the shoot based on bonus clips).  Also, Tyra came up with all the photo shoot ideas so he was just going by what she wanted.  Miss Jay and Nigel also have moved on and are doing other things.  As badly as Janice has talked about Tyra over the years, it'll be a cold day in he.. before Tyra lets her comes back.

I'm actually hoping there will be a decent panel but I don't hold out much hope for that.

• Love 1

By the end of the season I missed Tyra, by the middle of next season I'll be over her. So, I'm just going to enjoy this moment where I'm happy she's back. Rita as boss, brand, whatever created a huge credibility problem for me anyway, and the lack of Tyra made judging both useless and boring, for the most part. It's hard to imagine how this goes bad (though, like I said, I'll probably say different things halfway into a cycle). 

ANTM elimination style shows up on SNL between Jared and Bannon

As ominous music again started playing in the background, Baldwin said, "Moment of truth. The photo in my hand represents the man who will be staying tonight. You will get to keep advising me, and you will also get $100,000, courtesy of L'Oreal."

He continued: "If you do not see your photo, you must immediately leave the Oval Office and join Kellyanne Conway in the basement."

http://www.businessinsider.com/snl-kushner-bannon-trump-jimmy-fallon-2017-4

In the new season of Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt Jane Krakowski's character makes a crack to the effect that if she wanted to disappear forever she could just win America's Next Top Model. I wonder if any of the writers hang out here.

• Love 1

There was an ANTM fashion event yesterday in L.A.  It was R.S.V.P. and no recording devices were permitted.  Portions of the event were being recorded for television broadcast.  Drew was there.  Yu Tsai and Mr. Jay were also in L.A. at the same time but don't know if they had anything to do with it.

• Love 1

C3 Eva and C20 Don will be in VH1's Scared Famous

The new “spine-chilling” show will premiere Monday, October 23rd at 9/8c with rap legend Redman serving as “master of scare-a-monies.”

According to the official press release, “these celebrities will move into an eerie estate in Savannah, Georgia, one of America’s most haunted cities, and test their limits for a chance to donate $100,000 to his or her favorite charity.”

From TVLine.com:

Dust off the runway: America’s Next Top Model will be back for Cycle 24, with returning host Tyra Banks, on Tuesday, Jan. 9 at 8/7c on VH1.

The new season — which has no contestant age limit, for the first time in the show’s history — will feature guest appearances from former judge Nigel Barker and Season 3 winner Eva Marcille, as well as a crossover with RuPaul’s Drag Race fan faves Valentina, Katya and Manila.

• Love 1