Type keyword(s) to search

Let's Pre-Judge The Season 9 Queens Of RuPaul's Drag Race!

• Start Topic

I've been wanting Shea Couleé on for two years now, so when rumors started flying I was really excited. Former Chicago queens like Pearl and Kim haven't been the strongest performers, but Shea truly is the full package. Although I'm excited about the cast as a whole, I think Shea might destroy them.

Charlie Hides is obviously fantastic, and even though she's older I'm already pegging her as a finalist. Aja is already a huge social media favorite, but I think she's one of those queens who was cast too early - in a year or two, I'm sure she'll be fantastic. I feel similarly about Farrah. Super pretty, though.

Kimora Blac intrigues me the most. She has made it clear that if she was on the show, she would not hesitate to be the most villainous bitch they've ever had. I don't think that will actually be the case, but I wouldn't mind it. We haven't had a good villain in quite some time.

From the moment these queens are announced, I look forward to Mark reading them all. His coverage is some of my favorite stuff on the site all year.

Totally pulling for Charlie Hides, she seems fabulous and maybe a bit more up-to-date than some previous older queens (Looking at you, Kasha Davis) plus her voice is giving me real David Sedaris vibes and I love it!

So impressed with Sasha Velour, she's what we all wanted Violet Chachki to be.

And Nina Bo'Nina Brown better snatch that crown, she had me at Lady Guinea Pig.

But to get serious, I'm worried that the level of queens this season has dipped back down to season seven levels. Sure there were some stellar gems in seven, particularly Katya and Trixie (personal taste), but I desperately hope the mediocrity doesn't rise to the top again.

• Love 1

I'm a little worried that looks-wise, Drag Race might be entering an echo chamber where a lot of the incoming queens are pulling heavy inspiration from the past couple seasons. I'm seeing a lot of Kim Chi, Acid Betty, and Violet Chachki up there.

It's funny to see Jaymes's interview mostly because it makes the heavy airbrushing in the promo photos very clear. That wig is a thirsty frazzled mess, flyaways for days!

I'm excited, and hopeful we get to see a good handful of girls getting deep into the competition with creativity, performance skills, and able to reference things that aren't Kardashian/Jenner-adjacent. There are definitely a decent number of seasoned veteran queens here that I hope don't get cut near the jump in favor of Instagram looks queens with very little charisma or performance skills.

Charlie Hides might be a really entertaining trainwreck should she make it to Snatch Game. She's done really unfunny segments on UK's Celebrity Big Brother aftershow impersonating Cher, Madonna, etc that fell super flat for me. She didn't look or act the part, and had zero spark or wit. She looks damn good though.

48 minutes ago, Xazeal said:

I've been wanting Shea Couleé on for two years now, so when rumors started flying I was really excited. Former Chicago queens like Pearl and Kim haven't been the strongest performers, but Shea truly is the full package. Although I'm excited about the cast as a whole, I think Shea might destroy them.

Can you explain what's so great about Shea? She's the only queen whose name I recognized, though I'm unfamiliar with her work, but her video was just so lackluster. Sure, the look was top notch, but there was just no fire, no energy in anything she said. And her non sequitur stream of drag babble, "sickening the house down boots gaga yas," gave me the worst Laganja flashbacks.

I want to be wrong!

• Love 1

Charlie Hides is 52?! Holy shit. She looks 30 in that video. Either makeup can do wonders or she's got a baby-face out of drag.

ClareWalks, I had the same reaction. I had to look her up to make sure she wasn't just joking about being the oldest contestant in the show's history.

• Love 1

From the moment these queens are announced, I look forward to Mark reading them all. His coverage is some of my favorite stuff on the site all year.

Totally pulling for Charlie Hides, she seems fabulous and maybe a bit more up-to-date than some previous older queens (Looking at you, Kasha Davis) plus her voice is giving me real David Sedaris vibes and I love it!

But to get serious, I'm worried that the level of queens this season has dipped back down to season seven levels. Sure there were some stellar gems in seven, particularly Katya and Trixie (personal taste), but I desperately hope the mediocrity doesn't rise to the top again.

Thank you so much DanMSchro! I love writing about this show SO DAMNED MUCH.

I feel your concern about the mediocrity returning, but after watching these videos a second time, I'm more hopeful. There are no immediately obvious superstars, but I think those top 5 really have something. I hope they do, at least!

• Love 1

I love a queen who knows her references, so I liked Charlie Hides right away. But there is something about Alexis Michelle that got me right away. With Sasha Velour, I just couldn't look away from her fabulous feathery eyebrows, and loved her selection of a drag name. Valentina got me with her look and her ability to explain her concept. I think she speaks both Spanish and Portuguese, so that impresses me as well. I see a lot of Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve and Talent, but not sure I see all of it in one person yet??? I knew that nearly the second the video was out Mark would have his opinions up, so I scooted over here as fast as my little fingers could carry me. Bring on Season 9, I am ready, ready, ready!

53 minutes ago, DanMSchro said:

Can you explain what's so great about Shea? She's the only queen whose name I recognized, though I'm unfamiliar with her work, but her video was just so lackluster. Sure, the look was top notch, but there was just no fire, no energy in anything she said. And her non sequitur stream of drag babble, "sickening the house down boots gaga yas," gave me the worst Laganja flashbacks.

I want to be wrong!

Basically, I guess I would classify her as a "look queen", but she's a very well-rounded look queen. Some of the looks I've seen are on par with winners Raja and Violet, but she's definitely a stronger performer than either of them. Even if Shea stumbles, she can turn out a lip sync. I'd love to see her square off against Aja on a rapid-fire rap song.

Of course, who knows how well it'll translate to a competitive format. Trixie struggled on Drag Race but has been incredible outside of it. But in what I would otherwise say is a pretty even playing field, Shea is the clear standout to me. 

I generally agree with the rankings.  But I wouldn't have placed Trinity Taylor as high.  She was rather meh to me. Nor Eureka also rather meh.  She looked like a giant lit match. very distracting.

I liked:

Charlie Hides - Not just funny but witty

Alexis - reminded me of Raven in the face.  Looks like an older Raven.  Also had some smart, thoughtful answers

Valentina - also smart & thoughtful in her answers.  And yes her fashion, film and pop culture references as they related her aesthetic were great.

Sasha Velour - I was riveted by her brows  I couldn't look away. But yes, another smart queen who speaks eloquently about her transformation process

Nina - LOVED.  Such charisma.

everyone else was kinds middle of the road, although I did find Shea Corlea funny.  But she felt like she was filling out a college application listing all of her co-curricular activities.

Everyone else - eh.  I only actively disliked Kimora.  Seems like a try hard.  And who names themselves after someone only to dismiss them as irrelevant. 

Also, I gave Farrah Moan too much credit.  I was sure she was gonna say her name was a play on the word pheromone.  Oh well.

Jaymes Mansfield. Eek.  Her hairline is tragic.  You're not supposed to actually see the lacefront.

What a joy it is to see these rankings come round again! Mark, I always look forward to your sage commentary. Quite a few of these gals seem promising. Alexis and Nina popped for me. Bring it on y'all. I'm so ready for this show to be back back back back again!

"But to get serious, I'm worried that the level of queens this season has dipped back down to season seven levels. Sure there were some stellar gems in seven, particularly Katya and Trixie (personal taste), but I desperately hope the mediocrity doesn't rise to the top again."

Yeah, that was my reaction after watching these, too. The S9 queens generally seem professional and polished, and a few of them said things that impressed me. But I've watched the interviews twice now, and nobody's really distinguished herself. I went back and watched the S8 MTQs, and there's just so much more charisma and intrigue there. I wish they'd saved Laila or Dax or Robbie for this season.

Whew, Kimora Blac seems a little vacant, y'all.

Early faves: Alexis Michelle, Sasha Velour, and of course, Nina BoNina. Shea Coulee has potential, but also potential to just be a big jerk. I think I'd put Peppermint up before Valentina, and I'm interested in Charlie Hides quite a bit. Jaymes has this air of Mimi Imfurst desperation to her, so I'd be happy to see her sashay away early.

• Love 1
On 2/5/2017 at 10:49 AM, Trishelle said:

Yeah, that was my reaction after watching these, too. The S9 queens generally seem professional and polished, and a few of them said things that impressed me. But I've watched the interviews twice now, and nobody's really distinguished herself. I went back and watched the S8 MTQs, and there's just so much more charisma and intrigue there. I wish they'd saved Laila or Dax or Robbie for this season.

I think they, or at least their personas in these videos, are too professional and polished. Any personality is placed on the back burner. I think Dax, Laila and Robbie might have had a better chance on this season, but to me they'll always be filler queens.

I took a step outside of the videos and watched some clips on Youtube, and I really Mark is right that Sasha Velour or Nina might snatch that crown. Sasha's got a lip sync medley that includes both Kate Bush and Gollum from Lord of the Rings, and Nina's giving us parody videos of Jasmine Masters. Pure Gold.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dolphincorn said:

If you're French. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go watch "The OM-peer Strikes Back."

I have to agree. If you are French, or in the midst of speaking actual French, then those French words can be pronounced like that and it's totally chill. If you are otherwise speaking English and just using a word that has found its way to English FROM French, it sounds incredibly pretentious. If some random Midwesterner walked up to me in a bakery and asked "where did you find that CWUHSSAAAAAH?" with a super-nasal affect, I would look at them like they're nuts. It's croissant.

On 2/5/2017 at 11:56 PM, Rai said:

Whew, Kimora Blac seems a little vacant, y'all.

That was my take as well.  Boy does she come off as dumb.  I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  She reminds me a bit of Phi Phi O'hara.  Not that Phi Phi's dumb but she does make the same mistakes over and over.

These Season 9 queens are all very pretty.  Colorful, pretty hair and super pretty, glamorous makeup.  Nobody's edgy except maybe Sasha and even she's got the perfect makeup and clothes.  We'll see how long they can maintain.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, zulualpha said:

That was my take as well.  Boy does she come off as dumb.  I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  She reminds me a bit of Phi Phi O'hara.  Not that Phi Phi's dumb but she does make the same mistakes over and over.

These Season 9 queens are all very pretty.  Colorful, pretty hair and super pretty, glamorous makeup.  Nobody's edgy except maybe Sasha and even she's got the perfect makeup and clothes.  We'll see how long they can maintain.

Speaking of pretty,  they're all cute as hell as boys too. Especially Kimora and Nina Bonina(that beard tho)

Friend of mine (who happens to be my hairdresser by day and a drag queen by night) left a comment on one of Aja's posts, and it popped up in my Facebook feed (I'm not a stalker, but Facebook likes to make me one). Girlfriend is not kidding when she says she'll come for you if you don't watch your mouth. It's some long post directed to the people already hating on the Season 9 Queens and how they're idiots for doing so, more or less. Actually, it's touching that she's defending her sisters on the show so hard before it even airs, but she's definitely scrappy.

• Love 1

TEAM SASHA.

I saw her at Bushwig a couple of years ago, completely fell in love, and have been following her on social media ever since. Her performances are next level and she is really intelligent, creative, and meticulous about everything she does. LOVE! 

I'm also rooting for Peppermint, in part because it's about damn time an out trans woman was cast for this show and in part because years ago she was the roommate of one of my friends and he says she's one of the sweetest people he's ever met.  

• Love 1