Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: So Then a Bat or a Monkey

30 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I wasn't sure I was going to keep watching, but then she killed Nathan Fillion and so I said okay.

Lol! I don't like Nathan Fillion for some reason and hoped that he wasn't going to be in a lot of episodes. I got my wish!

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I wasn't sure I was going to keep watching, but then she killed Nathan Fillion and so I said okay.

That was so awesome and I was cracking up when you see his big fake hand with the bloody missing fingers... then all bloody hell broke loose!  I haven't been spoiled so I didn't know if Fillion was part of the cast. He was a creeper so glad Drew took care of him.

Loving the neighbor's son, he's a fun character in his nerdom.

Oh my, that was a ton of puke. I was first going eeeew then cracking up with that vomit scene. I did NOT expect to see that bathroom covered in green slop.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

As a writer of zombie fiction -- and often not-entirely-serious zombie fiction, at that -- I have to say I loved this series. I binge-watched the living daylights out of it.

The acting is funny, yet believable. I love Nathan Fillion and will watch him in anything. His character's slaughter was well-deserved.

Yep. Love it.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I agree on the miscasting of Olyphant - he really seemed like he was half-assing it (whereas I would like to see his whole ass, badum ching!). In the pilot it seemed like it would have made more sense to have Nathan Fillion as the husband and Timothy Olyphant as the attractive-but-rapey guy.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1

I guess if we are going to keep getting zombies, we might as well try some new things with the format. I thought this was promising for a first episode, so I`ll try a few more episodes to see where it goes from here. Its not a great start, but I laughed out loud a few times and I like the cast.

Wow, I did NOT expect them to go that way with Nathan Fillion! I thought he would be a reoccurring character, not Barrymore chow. Good bit of misdirect, show.

A pilot that ends with Drew Barrymore chowing down on a rapey Nathan Fillion.  Don't see that every day!

Outside of them going a bit overboard with the vomit gag, I was cracking up throughout the entire thing.  It basically feels more a more violent and more comedic version of iZombie (even though that show is hilarious too), with someone being a zombie, but they can be sentient, as long as they are fed.  Only instead of brains, any raw meat seems to work with her.  I wonder if they'll ever explore how she became a zombie.

It's been awhile since I've seen Drew Barrymore, so it was great seeing her here and she was perfect in the role.  Really gave it her all too.  As for Timothy Olyphant, he apparently worked for me more then others.  His reactions to everything were cracking me up and I like seeing him as a less suave character compared to Raylan Givens.  Granted, maybe my love for Justified and Deadwood are just effecting my judgement, but I thought he was excellent too.

Both of the kids are actually entertaining, which is a refreshing change of pace.

Looks like this is going to be one of those shows that have a lot of familiar faces popping up.  Besides Fillion, I spotted Andy Richter as their asshole boss, Ricardo Chavira and Mary Elizabeth Ellis as their main neighbors, and Richard T. Jones as the other one.  My favorite though was Ramona, the bored retail worker.  Hope we see her again.

I'm totally in it for the long haul.  Off to the next episode! 

• Applause 1
  • Love 4

I'm marking this down as 'pilot episode syndrome' and hoping the rest of the season is better. When I found out this has Drew Barrymore (and then later I found out it had Timothy Olyphant! Oh yes!) I thought "I have to see this!" and then I found that neither of them seemed to do comedy very well. Not this sort of in your face style anyway. They just seemed very stiff, especially Barrymore in her 'pre-zombie' persona which I assume was intentional but came off as bad acting to me.

Olyphant's shrug at the end made me groan out loud. It just seemed so... corny. I was hoping for something a little more subtle and dark rather than Nathan Fillion as lunch.

Will have to decide if this one stays on my 'watch' list.

• Sad 1

Yeah, I didn't find anything funny, just gross or awkward.  Maybe I'm too old.  I love a black comedy, though.  The funnier Buffy episodes were my favorites.  Maybe I'll give it another ep or two.  

I laughed at several points and then binge watched through episode 5, so I guess that means I liked it.  Saw Nathan Fillion and didn't know if he was going to be a regular or what but didn't expect him to meet such a prompt and immediate end!  I guess once she ate his fingers there was no going back!

The blood and vomit everywhere at times does kind of startle me but didn't deter me from continuing to watch.  iZombie is much less gruesome even though Liv is shown eating brains in each episode!  This show is very much a cross between iZombie and Dexter IMO.

• Like 1

I loved this andi streamed  through it twice.  I did think the vomit gag was probably the least funniest thing the show did through the entire season.  I compare it to "Family Guy" gags that go on a tad to long then a beat  longer for no apparent reason.  

Its a bit of a spoiler but

Spoiler

there are a lot of cameos in this that last an episode or two.  Some are funnier then others.

it anything I would compare this to under appreciated Better off Ted.  I am not sure if the show runners are the same but it has the same dark humor feel.

Edited by saoirse
Tagged spoiler information
  • Like 1

I watched this episode yesterday. I had to sleep on it to decide whether to continue but having Nathan already dead helps. lol I like Drew and Timothy which is the only reason I decided to check it out since I normally refuse to watch zombie shows. I didn't feel that anyone was miscast. I will keep watching at least a few more. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Two "Grinder" alums

Three, actually, once you keep going. That can't be coincidence.

I was on the fence after the pilot - the vomit scene was beyond gross. Not something to watch while you're eating. Learned that lesson the hard way. That said, I ended up binge-watching the entire series in one day, so it definitely gets better. Or at least, I got into it more after the first episode. And I thought Olyphant was just fine. I watched Deadwood but never saw Justified. Maybe people who are big Justified fans are having a harder time seeing him in this role? I'm guessing if you've never heard of the guy before or seen him in anything else you wouldn't have a problem with how he plays this part.

I loved him in both Deadwood and Justified, and I didn't see a problem with him in this role either. The puke joke definitely went on for too long (and man, did I regret getting a snack to eat while watching this episode), but overall I thought it was fun and enjoyable for a pilot. I am not a zombie fangirl (the only zombie show/movie I've ever watched was izombie and that was due to my love for Rob Thomas/Diane Ruggiero/Veronica Mars, but I ended up loving it because of the smart and funny writing). I had no idea Nathan Fillion was going to be on the show so I wasn't sure if he was going to be a regular or a one shot guest star. When she started eating him, I was like well, that answers my question!

I usually avoid violence, blood, slasher movies and such but I thought that I’d give this a try. I laughed so much. The poor salesgirl when the husband was buying the stethoscope and toaster oven. She had a perfect deadpan look to his over the top presence of just staring t the items for over a hour.  Looks promising. 

• Applause 1