Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E28: Girls On The Side

• Start Topic

So... Kelly didn't want to be a model in the first place if we're to believe her own words when the cover picture was shot. And now that she has an invisible scar she still doesn't want to be a model. What she wants is to complain about her "lost" beauty and that people only lile her for that. She's LVP for sure.

• Love 1

OK, you guys inspired me to google "Idaho Medical School" and apparently there is *still* not med school there, but there's a for-profit school of osteopathy currently working on getting accredited. So, yikes, apparently the medical school scene in Idaho was as bad as they made it sound! (But seriously, Andrea's a sophomore, she doesn't need a medical school right this second. Plenty of people go to medical school in their forties and fifties.)

This is so incredibly annoying!  If you don't want to be noticed or liked for your beauty, then do something else that gets noticed.  Volunteer for more than two episodes, be smart, use the privilege of your looks to help others.  Granted, she's only 19.  Instead, don't bitch about how people only like you for your looks and then complain that those looks are gone. 

It's a bit "don't hate me because I'm beautiful" from the 80s (was that a Pantene ad?)

• Love 1

As a native of Middletown, Pennsylvania, I greatly enjoyed Sarah's Three Mile Island joke. 

Also, there is not a Whole Foods *or* Trader Joe's in my metropolitan area, so I feel Dave/Tara's pain. We've got a Wegman's, though, but it's about half an hour away.

16 hours ago, AndySmith said:

I love the writers throwing shade at themselves by having "When Your Boyfriend Dates Your Best Friend" on the cover...

..next to kelly's face..and they have the characters send the magazine to Brenda

EDIT: then again- if Brenda knew the picture was taken before Kelly was scarred, it would explain why she never came back to the US until the reboot. Must've taken years to wipe the perma-smug "looks like a duck, quacks like a duck" look off her face.

Edited by Ions Earring
  • Love 1

Yeah and that is why kelly's annoying. We all know you want to be a model and you were never NOT gonna take the job, so stop pretending you aren't. Also, idk if the makeup artists were trying to give her an actual scar, but there is none that are visible so she needs to take a seat. Your friend is still sitting in the hospital with actual burns all over her body.

Kelly is the most annoying character on the show. Everything is always woe is me yet she is the biggest player/ biatch on the show. Shut up and be grateful for what  u have

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Cekrypton1 said:

Visual aids link again directing back to this page.

Fixed! Thank you! (I didn't fix it btw. Just the messenger)

In other news. I'm getting my hair done today and I'm getting bangs. Because Shannen Doherty's bangs are (were - in the 90s) the stuff of dreams and my hair grows fast enough that I don't care if they look bad anymore. I'm just doing it. 

• Love 6

Kelly is the worst. She only gets worse from here so much so that I actually feel sorry for Brandon. Scary.

I don't get the logic with David telling Donna. The guy who cheated on her telling her that her boyfriend was cheating on her? Not the best idea. Also shut up Dylan.

Geez Donna.....

Edited by SoupThrower
2 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Yeah and that is why kelly's annoying. We all know you want to be a model and you were never NOT gonna take the job, so stop pretending you aren't. Also, idk if the makeup artists were trying to give her an actual scar, but there is none that are visible so she needs to take a seat. Your friend is still sitting in the hospital with actual burns all over her body.

Kelly is the most annoying character on the show. Everything is always woe is me yet she is the biggest player/ biatch on the show. Shut up and be grateful for what  u have

I can still never forget that when Dylan's father died, Kelly didn't want to go to the funeral because she thought she looked too fat.

• Love 1
On 1/19/2017 at 10:06 AM, mskyle said:

OK, you guys inspired me to google "Idaho Medical School" and apparently there is *still* not med school there, but there's a for-profit school of osteopathy currently working on getting accredited. So, yikes, apparently the medical school scene in Idaho was as bad as they made it sound! (But seriously, Andrea's a sophomore, she doesn't need a medical school right this second. Plenty of people go to medical school in their forties and fifties.)

Technically, Andrea could have started med school at University of Idaho (first 18 months) and finished up at University of Washington in the WWAMI program, if she wanted to live 5 hours away from her doofy husband. But she still has two more years of undergrad and how long is Jesse's clerkship again? She needs to get a divorce and rent Brenda's old room from Joe and Cindy. I bet they'd rather have her and Hannah around than Val OR BRANDON.

I live in the rural west, so I'm lucky my closest Whole Foods and Trader Joe's is only 90 miles (across a state line and over a mountain pass) away. 

I don't get Nat at all...since when has he been such a stickler for Ohndrea going to med school?  I think that line should have been given to another woman- either her mom or maybe Kelly, if they wanted to bring up Ohndrea's dreams and if they an happen if they move to Boise. 

Of course, the absolute unbelievable happens at the end, which I won't spoil.  I'm just already rolling my eyes.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Or Cindy which would have made total sense since SHE put off grad school for her husband and family herself years ago and she has that bond with Ahhndrea. 

... Especially since they're the same age. *snicker*

Is it bad that I roared with laughter when Sarah snarked about Kelly being "thick in the legs and too short"?! OMG! So funny and so true. As has been said many, many, many times, Jenni Garth is perfectly attractive, but model beautiful ... um, no. And her "look" was way wrong for the mid-90s in the era of heroin chic and Kate Moss. C'mon now. Yea, maybe for Seventeen mag she was fine, but to think she'd be some sort of sensation in NYC is lame.

• Love 6

Kelly's look is that "cute girl next door" vibe, that I think always has a place on teen mags- like Seventeen, YM, 'Teen (all mags I subscribed to).  There seemed to be very little crossover into mainstream modeling... the only one I remember was Nikki Taylor.  But you have Toni (Noxema Girl) who fits in that vibe and I think Jane from Melrose Place was a model for years.  Kelly seems like the kind of girl who'd have this "big modeling career in Japan" plus a few stints in teen mags.  I think Val would have a better shot being a model.

Jennie Garth is adorable and as I've said hubs went to school with her and will testify to how gorgeous she was.  But most fashion models seem to border on alien/weird- they are really tall, really thin, and usually have extremely angular faces. 

• Love 3

I think Kelly had her moments. I think she was beautiful during season 6 when she was dating colin ( before being coked up).. and I think she looked really good during maybe season 2-3... but once she gets that short haircuit around season 8.. oh god no. that was just terrible. I can definitely see her being on a seventeen cover, but yea not so much transferring that to a real modeling job. And it's not because she isn't pretty enough, It's because the look of a model is generally very tall, skin and bones and looks like they need to eat a burger. That being said, I don't think in real life she would be chased by every guy in a group of friends. I can maybe see that with val.

• Love 5

Garth was lovely (if victimized by current fashions, but weren't we all) and still is, but the show displayed its usual alienation from the realities of whatever world it was trying to portray by making Kelly a model. Pretty? Sure. Looks good in b/w? Yeah, me too. But in the mid-nineties, at her height, if her thighs touched? Nope.

• Love 4

Yeah around that time the "girl next door" models were Niki and Krissy Taylor, laetitia Casta, and Veronica Webb. Those were the more accessible down to earth looking ones compared to the big time goddess ones that ruled that era and they blow Kelly out of the water in every category. The models of the 90s were so so so pretty. If you watch old House of Style, runway clips, George Michael or MJ music videos, and see old magazines it's really impressive and stunning. 

• Love 3

I still fondly listen to "Freedom '90" and liked @Sarah D. Bunting's other podcast discussed it.  That era of model-dom was amazing.  I remembering being in awe when my boss told me that Christy Turlington went to her school.  Remember when magazine covers had actual models and not just actresses? Maybe I'm an old lady but this new crop (Hadid and the Victoria secret girls) just don't seem as amazing.

• Love 4
On 1/26/2017 at 9:27 AM, CurlyATX said:

I still fondly listen to "Freedom '90" and liked @Sarah D. Bunting's other podcast discussed it.  That era of model-dom was amazing.  I remembering being in awe when my boss told me that Christy Turlington went to her school.  Remember when magazine covers had actual models and not just actresses? Maybe I'm an old lady but this new crop (Hadid and the Victoria secret girls) just don't seem as amazing.

It's interesting because it seems like a good number of early models were daughters of the wealthy, and then it became more of a meritocracy by the 80s/90s- resulting in the Golden Age of the Supermodel-and now we're back around to daughters of the wealthy. 

On the positive side, I think that there's less division/snobbery now between "commercial" and "editorial" modeling. They can do the VS show and walk for Dior or whoever.

Edited by MCMLXXVII
  • Love 1
On 1/24/2017 at 0:40 PM, Jaclyn88 said:

I think Kelly had her moments. I think she was beautiful during season 6 when she was dating colin ( before being coked up).. and I think she looked really good during maybe season 2-3... but once she gets that short haircuit around season 8.. oh god no. that was just terrible. I can definitely see her being on a seventeen cover, but yea not so much transferring that to a real modeling job. And it's not because she isn't pretty enough, It's because the look of a model is generally very tall, skin and bones and looks like they need to eat a burger. That being said, I don't think in real life she would be chased by every guy in a group of friends. I can maybe see that with val.

I agree with this. The later 'do (was this when crazy girl boils the watch?) was so short, I wondered if Jennie Garth had had a bad bleaching incident that led to all her hair being cut off. But season 6's coif worked for me. What I hated: this was when I found Jennie becoming increasingly affected in her delivery and mannerisms --like she was really feeling her self-perceived position as the leading lady of 90210. 

• Love 2
On 2/2/2017 at 7:08 PM, sarivon said:

I agree with this. The later 'do (was this when crazy girl boils the watch?) was so short, I wondered if Jennie Garth had had a bad bleaching incident that led to all her hair being cut off. 

This hair is SO BAD, with those chunky highlight bits in the front. Plus there's a super forced moment that might even be the beginning of a cold open where Hooker Erica asks CatButtMouth what Brandon thinks of her new haircut. There was a similar awkward pointless exchange after Donna became a redhead in...season 7? Stop it, show. People change their hair, we're not going to be confused.  

• Love 1

I thought the red hair really suited Tori.  It was a refreshing change from the platinum fried blonde mess of seasons 5 and 6.

Honestly, I thought the red, longer hair was the best look for Tori of the whole series. In the first few seasons that long, dried out, bleached blond thatch was hideous...

On 1/26/2017 at 3:27 PM, CurlyATX said:

Maybe I'm an old lady but this new crop (Hadid and the Victoria secret girls) just don't seem as amazing.

Then I'm an old lady too. I know they had plastic surgery back in the day, but for whatever reason, I feel like the models of the 80s and 90s had more natural - and unique - beauty than the models of today. Today, it just seems like they all have to have the same kind of cookie-cutter pretty and it's boring. No one's allowed to have the nose or boobs they were born with anymore. ... GET OFF MY LAWN!

On 2/3/2017 at 2:08 AM, sarivon said:

Jennie becoming increasingly affected in her delivery and mannerisms --like she was really feeling her self-perceived position as the leading lady of 90210. 

Insufferable. The baby voice. The CatButtMouth. So, so, so irritating. Man, I miss S1 and S2 Kelly.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, Maherjunkie said:

Didn't Kelly get The Chop is season 4 or 5?

She lets that grow out in various ways and then gets a second, choppier, late-90s chop in season 8, right at the end of Hooker Erica and the start of the Brandon Bones Blunt Bob Emma storylines. It's got these weird chunky cowlicks in front that are blonde and the rest is darker than she's ever gone. This season aired my senior year of high school and every girl with short, straight hair tried to do this. 

I actually didn't like the end of the series look for Kelly- with the weird low lights.  Agreed on the dark longer hair on Tori, it suits her face better.  The darker hair looks healthier and that length is perfect for her face.  She now has really long hair which I think is hair for ladies older than 30 to pull off (I'm about the same age and my max is right at my collar bone).

I do have a tidbit for the baby voice.  I remember reading that Jennie was really into Marilyn Monroe and was "channeling her" when she uses that voice.  I'm not a big MM fan so I don't know if she uses a baby voice- I thought she was more breathy.  I was more of a Natalie Wood fan myself- spunky brunette petite.