Type keyword(s) to search

S00.E149: The Return Of Doctor Mysterio

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

There are only a couple but I remember several discussions about it when the episodes aired. She was kind of acting put out that the Doctor showed up. 

Edited by ganesh

I know it's contrary to the general opinion around here, but I liked Clara for the most part. My main problem with her was Danny Pink. That character's attitude and dislike of the Doctor caused unpleasant conflict in Clara that I think hurt the season.

I wasn't a big fan of Danny (Liked the actor though, who I met at Comic-Con) but it was the Doctor who was an absolute asshole to him during Series 8, having developed a psychotic hatred for soldiers all of a sudden.  So when Danny stuck it back to the Doctor, I was happy.  But Danny telling Clara that he was more interested in what was happening around him then traveling in time and space as Clara was doing WAS a major turnoff to me.

The Doctor and Clara's relationship was toxic, bringing out the worst in both characters.  I was pleasantly surprised when Moffat acknowledged this in Hell Bent.  The 12th Doctor is a lot more fun when he's not with her, as this episode showed (he was also a lot better without Clara in The Woman Who Lived).  I'm hoping Pearl Mackie's character restores that sense of wonder among the companions, which Clara didn't have.  It would be nice too if she wasn't used as another Moffat plot device (The Girl Who Waited, The Impossible Girl, etc.).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ceindreadh said:

The Doctor's idea for a distraction in the Japanese office 'flooding the lower level with Pokemon' LOL!

I loved that! 

I thought this was a fun Christmas episode, and all the references to Superman and comic books were a lot of fun. I thought 12 was really good here, less of an asshole who obsesses over Princess Sparkle Snowflakes (I love Jenna Coleman, but Clara and her plot wore out its welcome), and more of an adventurous cool old guy type with a snarky attitude. Snarky, but still compassionate, and I never felt like they were trying too hard to make him "cool". 

My main complaints were that there was not a lot of Christmas in the Christmas episode, and I thought the woman playing the plucky reporter was a little annoying, mainly because "plucky reporter who runs into danger for the Big Scoop without a real plan to get out" and her American accent seemed really off. But she was alright, and I would be alright if her and Grant came back at some point. 

The new Companion seems promising, but I will have to get past my annoyance that our Companion is yet another attractive young woman from the modern day UK. I mean, there is an entire galaxy out there, but the Doctor only wants to travel with the same gender of the same species from the same relatively small country in the same time period, who are around the same age?* Instead of an alien, or someone from the past or future, or a guy, or just someone from a different freaking country? There are lots of them! Still, I will give her a shot.

Still, my complaints are minor, all things considered. Enjoyed the episode, and am excited for the new season! Hurry up! 

*The main exception was Donna, who was a modern woman from the UK, who was a bit older, as the main Companion, like Rose, Martha, Clara, and Amy were. You could also probably add Jack, being a guy from the future with an American accent, but Rose was still kind of the "main" companion when he was around, the same same applies to Micky and Rory, who joined up because their female significant (main companion) other did. Not that they dont count or anything, but it is something to note*

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

Count me with those that went into it thinking it would be stupid, but actually was enjoyable. The Doctor creating "meta humans" seem to be a recurring theme with Capaldi...immortal woman (can't remember her name), an alive dead woman (trying hard to FORGET her name), and Grant.  Oh, I guess Jenny (Tennant) is still out there somewhere as well. Very well done on the superman/hero references also.

I wanted to like this, I really did but it just felt cobbled together at the last minute.

Grant was an okay superhero as the Ghost but the stuff with him and Lucy just didn't click for me and the Harmony Shoal plot felt like a damp squib.

Bulgaria doesn't mask for New York as well as Moffat thinks it does.

Nardole was okay, bar one moment but the story just didn't know what to do with the Doctor to be honest.

I liked the River and Osgood mentions though, 5/10

13 hours ago, Locutus said:

Count me with those that went into it thinking it would be stupid, but actually was enjoyable. The Doctor creating "meta humans" seem to be a recurring theme with Capaldi...immortal woman (can't remember her name), an alive dead woman (trying hard to FORGET her name), and Grant.  Oh, I guess Jenny (Tennant) is still out there somewhere as well. Very well done on the superman/hero references also.

Well, I think people becoming the equivalent of metahumans because of crossing paths with the Doctor precedes 12. Rose Tyler, Jack Harkness and Donna Noble all became meta (at least, briefly) as a result of their interactions with him. I'm sure a more diehard Whovian can come up with other examples of people becoming superpowered because of the Doctor.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 2:02 PM, alrightokay said:

This was really fun and charming.  Not the deepest episode, but that's okay, given how bittersweet last season (and the last Christmas Special) was.  I liked the fact that the Ghost was also a nanny, someone who's a caregiver.  And the Doctor/Capaldi was energetic and endearing, making just enough reference to what happened to him and River last year to show he's healing and moving on.  I've missed him and this show so much!  

River Song? again? make it stop!  Does she ever just stay dead??????

I had a hard time enjoying this ep because of THAT.

and the new sidekick? Ho hum -- drab.

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 2:30 AM, azshadowwalker said:

Boring. Haven't much cared about the show since Tenant left. This reminded me why. Nothing particularly amusing about the story. Nothing compelling about the characters. (I absolutely hate the "nice guy gets friendzoned" bullshit, but it is so Moffat.) If I have to hear about River again, I will probably check out for a few more seasons. I hope to fucking god this was the last mention of that character. Maybe someday Moffat will go away...

I am quoting this entire thing because YES! The whole episode was ruined because of the River Song aspect. ugh.

• Love 2
On 12/28/2016 at 4:36 AM, ganesh said:

There are only a couple but I remember several discussions about it when the episodes aired. She was kind of acting put out that the Doctor showed up. 

If I remember correctly those were VERY early Clara episodes.  Like before Danny Pink when 11 was still around episodes and would stop by and expect her to drop her nanny job (two kids) and go traveling with him.  She was less put off and more annoyed that he stopped By unannounced and expected her drop everything and his solution was to take two kids with them on what always ended up being dangerous missions.

28 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

If I remember correctly those were VERY early Clara episodes.  Like before Danny Pink when 11 was still around episodes and would stop by and expect her to drop her nanny job (two kids) and go traveling with him.  She was less put off and more annoyed that he stopped By unannounced and expected her drop everything and his solution was to take two kids with them on what always ended up being dangerous missions.

Pretty sure the kids only went with Eleven and Clara once, after blackmailing Clara into agreeing to it - it was certainly never the Doctor's 'solution' to Clara having a job.

• Love 2

I didn't mind this episode but it wasn't excellent. It is always nice seeing 12 solo though. I thought it would be nice to have Nardole (or any male/alien species/something other than a modern woman from the UK) as a companion, someone who knows about the rest of the world and, although a bit timid, maybe he could keep the Doctor in check sometimes.

I didn't really see the fuss about mentioning River, it was one line about where he had been the last 24 years... it seems relevant given the last episode was the last christmas episode where he spent his last night with River. We didn't get to see all that time but obviously he would be missing her. I mean, he moped over Rose for ages and River was 10 times the woman Rose ever was, she's a lot more to lose... in my opinion :)

• Love 9

I liked it - for once Moffat managed to restrain his impulse to go "The World... no the Galaxy... no, the Universe... no all realities past present and future are at stake!" because... not really. It's not just that the Doctor is always going to win, it's that when somebody DOES pay the price, it gets undone, usually in the same episode. Making the price the possible destruction of Metropolis - sorry, New York - means it COULD actually happen. Not that the Christmas special was going to involve mass murder (even if they were only Americans!). Thought all the players were pretty decent (and I guess the magic crystal didn't create any "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" type problems).

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 3:51 AM, Eolivet said:

I get that they needed New York for the "superhero story," but it was so unbelievable as contemporary New York City. But I'm sure plenty of American writers have butchered British English and depictions of English cities. So, it's fine that they were just returning the favor.

Yeah... "Returning the favour"... let's go with that!

• Love 2
On 12/26/2016 at 4:17 PM, futurechemist said:

I like Nardole, mainly because he's not a 20-something woman from present-day London.

This...sooooo much!  As much as I love my Ponds, Clara worked on my last nerve.  The Christmas Takeover on BBCA had me twitching every time I looked up and saw her face.  I couldn't even take any joy when the raven flew because I knew that it didn't mean one doggone thing.

I'm sure Jenna Coleman is a lovely person, but damn it if Clara Oswald and her minions aren't!  Ok, back to my corner I go.  :D

Edited by JayEeeBee
  • Love 6

It sucks for fans. I love Capaldi's Doctor. LOVE him. I love that he appears to not take himself or life very seriously until you cross him. Then it's on. And he's ruthless. I love that his pockets are bigger on the inside and he always has snacks. I love his TARDIS. LOVE his TARDIS.

I just hate the storylines that they write for him. Dull, boring, lifeless, senseless nonsense. Optimistically, now that queen clara is gone, maybe we'll get some decent Doctor Storylines.

Not so far, but maybe. This Doctor Mysterio storyline is a throw-away (think "fear her" and that ilk). It's "good." just not "Good."

Last Christmas Special didn't get good (in my opinion) until they got off the planet. Then it was thrilling, funny, touching, wonderful. Oh that look on his face when River realized he was The Doctor..."hello sweetie..." I DIE!!!

GIVE US MORE OF THAT and less of this mess.

• Love 4
On 26/12/2016 at 4:26 AM, Commando Cody said:

I don't know what they need Bill for. Nardole would be enough. Until I saw the preview of next season, I watched the episode thinking that Nardole should be the new companion. 

I was a little annoyed that they brought the brain people back. They did that last year. Otherwise nothing else annoyed me about this episode. I think I even enjoyed it. 

oh please god no. I can stand Matt Lucas for the odd episode. But for an entire series oh dear god no, that would be the worst companion ever. 

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:05 PM, bloodstar said:

It was fun. It was silly. Best use of a squeak toy ever! 

You know, sometimes it's ok to just enjoy the show and not dwell on things you don't like. Just a thought.

I hope this becomes more active when "DW" returns! Xmas telecast ok I guess! 13-Doctor-Who-All-Actors-Cast.jpg?auto=f

- - http://scifiblogs3.blogspot.com/ - - Sci-fi, Batman, & E:FC

- - http://www.childrenofrassilon.com - - Homage to DW & B7

Edited by Jamie Satyr
Pic deleted
  • Love 1