Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E21: Stormy Weather

• Start Topic

I haven't even listened to the podcast yet, but I need to comment on Clare's crop-top outfit. There are a lot of terrible outfits on this show, but that one might be in the top five. Perhaps the belt is to keep her belly button warm, since it's clearly cold enough to require a long-sleeved cropped tee? I was alive and quite thin in this era. I wore vests with no shirt, baby-doll dresses, little satin camis..but I can't recall anything quite like this belt travesty happening.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Peter's gross neck smelling noises reminded me of Billy's gross sex noises from that episode of "Melrose Place" the Fug Girls submitted to The Canon.

Even though it is a bit of a heel turn, as Sarah said, and Ray is such a not-worth-it target, I still enjoy Val Scheming Bad Girl Fun Times.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

Brandon doesn't look nearly as good in a duster as Mac (at this point, I can't see a duster without thinking of Always Sunny, not that I see that many dusters in my day-to-day life).

Ya know, I think Dylan looks way better with stubble. I don't even mind the turtleneck sweater and ridiculous tie.

In that animated gif with the Kelly and the lightning, I think her looks kind of good. Well, better than it has most of this season.

The shape of Brandon's haircut reminds me of the super rectangular fake nails that were popular when I was in high school.

Edited by MerBearStare

I have to disagree that buying the Peach Pit was Val's most convoluted plan. I think her most convoluted plan was when she took one of Kelly's dad's business cards and contacted him to handle her money (because that would stick it to Kelly?) and she *spoiler alert/you will spoil eet* ended up getting all her money stolen by one of Bill's former employees. 

"Marriage is about love, not age." So Finley and R Kelly (R Kelly Taylor, har har) come from the same school of thought.

So Kelly and Dylan's relationship defies time and space...is this a foreshadowing of that dumbass Dylan the Kid storyline? 

When Greg asks if Kelly is pretty, I don't think he necessarily meant that Finley wanted to bone her, I think he meant that he could sell her off to an old perv if she was attractive.

I wish when Kelly was leaving the New Evolution Compound she would have said, "This place is never again." #ripfunhighschoolkelly

Edited by MerBearStare
  • Love 3

All of the 9ers are hiddy this episode. I mean, Dylan would look good if his clothes weren't for a man thrice his size. As always, Bray is a 100% nope. That fucking duster! Donna's hair looks like it was squeezed out of a tube, and Clare Chancellorsdottir is the 90s-ist whatever that ever whatevered. The belt is just so stupid! If Val weren't there, ole Cat Butt would look the best. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, KateeBar said:

I haven't even listened to the podcast yet, but I need to comment on Clare's crop-top outfit. There are a lot of terrible outfits on this show, but that one might be in the top five. Perhaps the belt is to keep her belly button warm, since it's clearly cold enough to require a long-sleeved cropped tee? I was alive and quite thin in this era. I wore vests with no shirt, baby-doll dresses, little satin camis..but I can't recall anything quite like this belt travesty happening.

I agree 100%. The long sleeve crop top was definitely a "thing" but I can never recall seeing a belt around the belly? I do remember belly chains (gross) but not just fabric/leather/whatever that thing she's wearing is.

Tara titled this pic "dylan-looks-good-sorry." Sarah can't with the turtleneck. Discuss!

THIS one was titled "dylan-looks-old-sorry," but Sarah would with this version, despite that regrettable necktie. Discuss!

Makes sense to me. Luke Perry was (is? I saw the AARP magazine cover, I'm going to stick with was) a very handsome guy. What made him unappealing were his horrible scrawny body and his (his character's?) obnoxious poser personality. In these scenes his body is concealed and he isn't affecting any obvious James Dean-isms. Granted, in one he looks like he's on his way to class at the Barbazon Modeling School, and in the other like he's doing John Constantine cosplay, and both could be better. But we've seen him in worse.

I don't get Jamie Walters. I never found any of the 90210 main cast attractive, but this guy looks like he won a walk-on in a fan contest, and through a series of mistakes and misadventures wound up in a major role.

• Love 1

How is it that Jesse is oblivious to Ohhhhhndrea's guilt here? Her face never just "falls"; it's a damn avalanche.

Probably because she has had that exact same face since the day after they got married.

make better choices, Clare.

Thankfully, she does start looking better over the next couple of seasons.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, maxineofarc said:

I thought I remembered this whole cult nonsense going on for much longer. But that would have been interesting.

Yeah, it played out in one or two less episodes than I thought.

1 minute ago, AndySmith said:

Though, is this really a win? I mean, they saved Kelly, but shady-cult-that-hurts-people is still going on, doing it's thing...

Also yeah, Kelly gets her victory walk...through the crowd of other cult members who are still stuck in this bad situation.  But I guess it becomes Oregon's problem soon enough.

Finley could potentially bone down depending on the location and severity of the injury. Paraplegics can conceive and bear children, albeit with difficulty, usually (my best friend with spina bifida gave birth at 26 weeks, but the kid's fine now) but it is possible. And there was definitely a creepy vibe to Finley's interactions with Kelly before Dylan's scheme began. I would be surprised if boning down wasn't on his mind at least a little. After all, who can resist the siren baby-voice song of Saint Kelly?

• LOL 1

As much as I like Val, these reviews bring up a good point.  She's smart, has money, is beautiful...why is she wasting time with a unlikeable click like the 90210 brats?  It actually makes me think less of Val that her obsession is this small group of annoying people.  Like her goal is to fit in with the Seven Jackasses. 

• Love 2

I think Val at this point is a classic case of "low self-esteem"/self-destuctive despite her looks, smarts, and money. First Dylan, now Ray, later Colin, also Kenny (married guy). She has a type: broody, emotionally unavailable or already taken,  treats her like trash. Was David the only decent guy she dated? 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, MCMLXXVII said:

I think Val at this point is a classic case of "low self-esteem"/self-destuctive despite her looks, smarts, and money. First Dylan, now Ray, later Colin, also Kenny (married guy). She has a type: broody, emotionally unavailable or already taken,  treats her like trash. Was David the only decent guy she dated? 

Yep. But she stuffed that up.

Is this the start of the Dylan Kelly soulmates crap?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

That was Danny Drennan's coinage, we can't take credit for it. 

Yeah, I totally stole it from Danny. But I can't see her without thinking it. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, MerBearStare said:

I have to disagree that buying the Peach Pit was Val's most convoluted plan. I think her most convoluted plan was when she took one of Kelly's dad's business cards and contacted him to handle her money (because that would stick it to Kelly?) and she *spoiler alert/you will spoil eet* ended up getting all her money stolen by one of Bill's former employees. 

"Marriage is about love, not age." So Finley and R Kelly (R Kelly Taylor, har har) come from the same school of thought.

So Kelly and Dylan's relationship defies time and space...is this a foreshadowing of that dumbass Dylan the Kid storyline? 

When Greg asks if Kelly is pretty, I don't think he necessarily meant that Finley wanted to bone her, I think he meant that he could sell her off to an old perv if she was attractive.

I wish when Kelly was leaving the New Evolution Compound she would have said, "This place is never again." #ripfunhighschoolkelly

I never quite understood that plan- which involved her ruining her relationship with David in order to liquidate her shares from the club to give over IN CASH to Parker Lewis. 

I think they have always tried to make Kelly/Dylan all about soul mates (two little rich kindergarteners whose parents didn't pick them up).  If this show had better writers they would have added the nuances of co-dependency and how these two are really only bonded by their physical chemistry- they really hate each other.

It's so typical of The Gang to only want to rescue their friend...screw anyone else who is in the group.  I still don't know how seeing those scars snapped Kelly out of it.  Those were easy enough to explain away.  I wish they'd gone down a creepier road with some kind of gross "initiation ceremony" where Kelly is the bride to Finley and Dylan is his surrogate. 

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 11:21 AM, MerBearStare said:

Good lord yes on Val's pathetic plan to get even with Kelly by doing business with her father.  That was a weird plan and a pathetic one.  I didn't feel a drop of sympathy for her when she lost all of her money.  LOL, thank you for reminding me that Parker Lewis was on this show and played the guy who took all her money.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, benteen said:

Good lord yes on Val's pathetic plan to get even with Kelly by doing business with her father.  That was a weird plan and a pathetic one.  I didn't feel a drop of sympathy for her when she lost all of her money.  LOL, thank you for reminding me that Parker Lewis was on this show and played the guy who took all her money.

I am almost certain that the New Evolution cult is the last of the 90210s I saw. I had no idea Val lost her money to Parker Lewis, though I have vague memories of Colin (is he showing up soon) because of recaps. I think the podcast episodes will be just as fun without any first-hand memory of the episodes Tara and Sarah discuss--I'm actually really looking forward to the visual aids because they will be 100% news to me. 

On 12/20/2016 at 2:14 PM, benteen said:

Kelly is Dylan's soulmate.  AKA only because Brenda will never be on the show again.

SO MUCH THIS!!! IF Dylan had a soulmate it would either be Brenda or Toni. For the year or so that Kelly and Dylan dated, they were basically fighting the entire time, making eyes at other people (see, Brandon - square dancing, Brenda - fishing) and/or generally being wholly unsupportive to each other (see Dylan supporting Brenda for the animal rights thing, then the play and Kelly basically hating on the Scamily). Even by soap standards, their relationship didn't read as passionate and exciting but more like a hard, angry slog. So, yea, no way I ever bought that BS "soulmate" line. Always made me roll my eyes.

And re: foxy Dylan, yea he looks pretty good for a change, the clothes add weight to his scrawny frame so that he actually looks like a man instead of a beanpole - and did he inherit one of those turtlenecks from Jack?

Speaking of clothes, could Kelly have been wearing anything more beige and bland in the final scene? Talk about vanilla. Gah, I miss HS!Kelly. She was the best. 

• Love 2

It's so true. How they think that could get away with kelly and dylan being soulmates is beyond me. I can barely remember one scene where they were in a relationship and not fighting. Even when they weren't in a relationship, they were fighting. Brenda and dylan had a much better relationship that 100 % would have gone till the end of the show if Brenda was still on it. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, benteen said:

Maybe I'm extrapolating or misremembering, but I always thought Val's endgame there was to seduce Bill and become Kelly's evil stepmother.

1 hour ago, Jaclyn88 said:

It's so true. How they think that could get away with kelly and dylan being soulmates is beyond me. I can barely remember one scene where they were in a relationship and not fighting. Even when they weren't in a relationship, they were fighting. Brenda and dylan had a much better relationship that 100 % would have gone till the end of the show if Brenda was still on it. 

To keep me company during the one podcast a week stints (right after the election), I was relistening to some old episodes.  Remember the Emily Valentine/Float lighting episode?  A subplot was that Dylan and Brenda wanted to find some non sexy-time activities.  He takes her to Paganini (insert pasta joke) and seems really thrilled that she is loving it.  Even during Jack's funeral, he tells Brenda that they will always be connected.  Compare that to Dylan/Kelly in Paris where he is ditching Kelly to be with a French girl. 

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 11:42 AM, Stowaway said:

Granted, in one he looks like he's on his way to class at the Barbazon Modeling School

I don't get Jamie Walters. I never found any of the 90210 main cast attractive, but this guy looks like he won a walk-on in a fan contest, and through a series of mistakes and misadventures wound up in a major role.

Bwahahaha! Do you know how hard it is to stifle laughs in an open-office environment??  Ah, Barbazon! I was always so jealous of the girls that went there.  "Train to be a model, or just looks like one!" 

Poor Jamie.  He's cute enough.  I mean, really none of the guys are super hottie.  They are cute in the way that when you see a boy band at least one or two of them are somewhat ok but because of the attention they are catapulted into being hot (cough*Joey McIntrye*cough).  You know who would have been a great himbo...Slater from Saved by the Bell!  That guy is really cute and must use the same moisturizer that John Stamos uses. 

• Love 2
On 12/19/2016 at 8:55 PM, Sarah D. Bunting said:

That was Danny Drennan's coinage, we can't take credit for it. 

See also Steve playing pocket pool and Brandon's big honking watch. Some of Danny's phrases really stick. 

• Love 1

Yeah. I can buy that Dylan cheated on brenda with her best friend when she was away for 2 months, because that's kind of a high school thing to do ( even though dylan looked about 45 at the time). But I don't buy that he was all of a sudden emotionally attached to kelly 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MCMLXXVII said:

Maybe I'm extrapolating or misremembering, but I always thought Val's endgame there was to seduce Bill and become Kelly's evil stepmother.

Even if it hadn't, it should have been, that would have been some soapy fun!  But I guess they kinda edge towards that when Bill and Abby (Val's mom) almost get married.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CurlyATX said:

To keep me company during the one podcast a week stints (right after the election), I was relistening to some old episodes.  Remember the Emily Valentine/Float lighting episode?  A subplot was that Dylan and Brenda wanted to find some non sexy-time activities.  He takes her to Paganini (insert pasta joke) and seems really thrilled that she is loving it.  Even during Jack's funeral, he tells Brenda that they will always be connected.  Compare that to Dylan/Kelly in Paris where he is ditching Kelly to be with a French girl. 

Brenda was there for Dylan at his father's funeral while Kelly was so self-absorbed with her stupid eating disorder that she didn't want to go.  Literally did not want to go.  I think because she thought she would look fat in anything that she wore.

• Love 1

I know this thread is almost a year old, but I just listened to this episode.

I remember around the time this episode came out, El Niño hit SoCal hard. My high school in Newport Beach closed for a few days due to flooding about when they would have filmed this episode. I think PCH really was flooded at the time and Clare’s line was meant to be topical. That said, no, you would not take PCH down to Orange County, Brandon! 

As for cult referrals, I spent a bit of time around some of the EST offshoots. After the seminars, they asked us to write down the names and phone numbers of 3 people we thought would benefit from the experience. Then they would call those people and harass them until they signed up. Hell, they called me for over a year trying to drag me back in. I’m shocked New Evolution only had 12 referrals - not only were they a cult, they were a cult with bad recruitment techniques! 

Thank you, Sarah, Tara, and Dave for this Podcast. It has literally been getting me through one of the hardest months of my life. Once I’m current, you’ll see me on the forums for real! 

• Love 1