Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Chapter Nine: 162

Marcus and his companions race to avert a tragedy on the eve of Pope Sebastian's visit to Chicago; Tomas is offered a life-altering opportunity; a new problem threatens to tear the Rance family apart.

Another great episode. This demon is powerful. I'm wondering why Angela/Reagan is not fighting him? And why didn't the demon just re-possess her right from the very beginning.  I guess he wanted her family to suffer first? 

I'm sad to see all the body count this episode. Chris, the couple who were...demon hunters?, the nuns. Too bad Marcus didn't kill that priest, he really messed up his face though. 

Looking forward to the finale next week. 

• Love 3

Ugh, these demons suck! I hate that they're killing all the good guys. I'm still worried for Marcus and Tomas. Marcus looked awesome kicking ass tonight. And Tomas finally made his choice between the church and the girl. Hopefully he gets his parish back at some point.

That scene with Angela and Kat in the bed was super squicky and hard to watch. The demon said humans are ugly, but it sure seems attracted to them.

I think Angela is trying to fight the demon, at least judging by the preview for next week. Only one episode left! I don't want this show to be over. :(

• Love 5

Father Tomas is being transferred to head the other parish, St. Brigid's.  They are closing down his parish and he is working to get those parishoners over to the new Church, along with his staff.  It looks like he has finally seen the light and will give up Jessica.  Yay!  Geena Davis's transfer into Pazuzu is so subtle; another award-winning performance.  I'm glad she/the demon didn't kill Henry!  So sad to see the tour bus demon hunter couple killed.  They were a kick.  Marcus (Ben Daniels) awesome as usual!

The promo for next week's episode said season finale, so it's still a possibility it could get renewed for a second season.

• Love 1

I haven't completely caught up on this show, so I'm kind of behind with what's going on, but I did happen to catch last night's episode. It was really good. Geena Davis is killing it, no pun intended, as the one possessed now. 

I too was grossed out and was about to turn the channel when she looked to be feeling up Kat, but then Reagan interrupted what was going on and I kept watching. 

The husband seems back to normal. How did that happen? Thomas looks to have chosen the church. YAY. 

It looks like Angela just got possessed last episode? If so, I'm glad the show didn't drag out everyone figuring out what was going on. Reagan figured it out and wisely told her family and when Father Thomas figured it out he immediately decided to take action. 

I'm going to have to go back and watch the episodes I missed so I can know exactly what's going on. 

Any chance this show will get renewed? Last I heard the ratings were terrible. 

Edited by Enero

Straycat80 asked why Angela wasn't fighting the demon at all, which I wondered too; until the end when she stops the family from leaving in the night. Henry tells her to fight, and demon Angela explains shes not possessed, integration has occured, because Angela invited him in.

(Although it does look like Angela is fighting back in the clips of the finale).

I thought Tomas discovering the significance of the number 162, was a great plot device to his realization that the demon is now in Angela.

I'm sad to hear this show is getting poor ratings... the acting is top notch, the tie in with the original movie is great. Loving this show.

• Love 6

This show is fantastic. Sad about the nuns but I'm really enjoying Geena Davis being all chipper and evil. 

The lady who bankrolls everything - whose name escapes me - I REALLY wasn't expecting her to be told off by Pazuzu, especially as her desperate and mediocre millions helped make the papal visit possible. I wonder what this means for her character in the future? Might she turn white hat after being belittled by the dark?

Edited by Door
  • Love 5

Still holding out hope for Fathers Bennett, Marcus, and Tomas kicking butt in the finale. If I'm remembering correctly, Simon didn't say anything about anyone killing Bennett. He'd better be alive!

Loved that moment when Father Tomas walked barged into the Rance house at the end. He's been annoying me all season, so I'm glad he's cut whatsherface loose and is back in the game.

• Love 2

There was so much foreboding about those three endlessly barking dogs that "Angela" enchanted.  When she had Henry, Casey, and Kat sitting in the living room and said she had to hurt someone, I feared she was going to let the dogs in to attack them.  So happy that didn't happen.  Kat and Casey should have simply escaped and let Henry handle Angela himself.  He has God speaking through him, so they should have saved themselves.  Casey is surely still vulnerable, and too bad Kat didn't get her out first.

As powerful as the demon is, how in the world did Casey fight it so long?  How did Henry not suspect something when Angela suddenly developed an affection for erotic fixation?  Why is Pazuzu so bad at passing for Angela?

I don't quite buy that this demonic gang can cavort so publically without being found out.  Simply surrounding themselves with a group of priests with a history of perversion should raise an eyebrow or two.  (Please resist the temptation to make joke)

I don't buy that Angela is integrated.  Father Karras invited the demon into him to save Regan, yet the impression was never that his soul was damned.  He jumped out of the window, of course, but he had free will to do so, and received last rights as he lay dying.  I'm refusing to figure the book Legion into the equation.

I enjoyed watching Marcus torture Priest Evil Bald Man, but what was in the bath water?  Why was his face damaged like it was acid?  He took the powder from the RV, so it seemed it should be religious, of some sort.

• Love 2

I like this episode, although parts WERE hard to watch and I had my remote handy, especially during that "bedroom" scene. I do object to the Angela demon being able to kill people via mind meld. What's up with that? She can just step out and kill everyone in the universe if that's the case. And why didn't Casey kill people with just a look? I didn't see the episode where she killed the guy on the train/bus. Did she mind meld him or murder him with her own hands? I LOVED kick ass Marcus. But oh, nuts, when he got caught. I thought he put holy water in the bath tub, which burned the priest's face, but maybe it was something else, like "holy bath salts." Glad Tomas is back in the game, too. Did his girlfriend's HUSBAND complain to the head of that church that was given to Tomas? If so, ouch. Also sad to see the demise of the RV couple, they were "fun," and the nuns. Wondered why the RV guys were shot while the nuns were mind-melded to death. The coroner is going to have a lot of 'splaining to do, unless he/she is demon possessed too.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I like this episode, although parts WERE hard to watch and I had my remote handy, especially during that "bedroom" scene. I do object to the Angela demon being able to kill people via mind meld. What's up with that? She can just step out and kill everyone in the universe if that's the case. And why didn't Casey kill people with just a look? I didn't see the episode where she killed the guy on the train/bus. Did she mind meld him or murder him with her own hands?

The demon did kill the people in the ambulance. Not sure why it didn't kill more people when it was in Casey. It didn't kill the guy on the train, it just dislocated his jaw and clawed at his chest. If I remember correctly, the jaw dislocation was done without touching his face.

I don't know what Marcus put in the bath, but it did look like salt. Maybe it was some sacred, blessed salt?

I think we just learned that the retreat in the first episode was for "deviant" priests. That would explain why so many of them looked so creepy in their rooms.

Sad to see the death of great characters: Father Bennett, the nuns, and the eclectic couple. 

I love that this show does a pause, so the audience sees what happens as Pazuzu moves from body to body. 

With such a high body count, I hope that this show becomes an anthology.  Each season, Marcus and Father Tomas face a different situation/demon.  [Fox, give this show a chance.]

Jessica is gone.  Yay!  Horrible character that brought nothing to the show.  Now that she's gone, I hope that Tomas becomes an interesting character again. 

Geena Davis as Pazuzu is compelling.  I really like the entire Rance family, so I'm invested in what happens to them. 

Edited by spaulding
  • Love 3

Not much else to add to the discussion. Another good episode. Far too many series just don't match up. The story is good and the acting is excellent across the board. One of the best roles Geena Davis has had in a while. Ben Daniels continues to mesmerize.

• Love 3

In other shows (like Supernatural, Ash vs Evil Dead, and Sleepy Hollow, that I can think of off the top of my head), salt is used for repelling demons (usually by creating a circle of salt around people to be safe.  I assume that is what Father Marcus was doing with the salt in the water.

I REFUSE to believe that Father Bennett is dead until I see his lifeless body.  I am hoping he shows up next week, all surprise and KAPOW, helps the other Fathers beat down Pazuzu.  

Also, I hope this show gets renewed, it's so much better than it almost should be on paper.

• Love 6

Yourdreamer, that's right about the salt. I should know that, being a Supernatural and Sleepy Hollow fan myself. I need to buy a couple boxes, just in case. I do think Bennet is dead, unfortunately. We didn't see all the nun bodies but I'm pretty sure they are gone, too. Why does Angela/Reagan/Demon want to keep family at home, I wonder. I did like how her family all teamed up and all know now that mom is possessed. Is this show up for renewal or is it a one-season deal like True Detectives was. Anyone know? It is on my "must watch" list, which means it's doomed I guess.

I really like this show, but it makes me go back to my pet peeve with these possession stories: Where is God? And why doesn't she/he send any help in the form of angels as innocent humans are being slaughtered? 

I know that Bennett is most likely dead, but when Marcus suggested that they must have tortured Bennett for information, I had a pang of hope that he still alive.

Geena Davis is delicious as Pazuzu.

Where does that name come from? Is that taken from the book? I don't remember that name being used in the movie, but then again I haven't seen the movie in ages. I'm assuming this is the name of a specific demon - in other words, Angela/Regan isn't possessed by The Devil Himself but rather by some demon name Pazuzu. What an odd name. I bet the other demons make fun of him.

This show really went from being mildly interesting to much-watch TV. 

Where is God? And why doesn't she/he send any help in the form of angels as innocent humans are being slaughtered? 

The stories are about people and their faith. Sending in angels is the equivalent of having your big brothers fight all your battles for you; effective but it rather misses the point. If angels got involved, we'd end up with the Prophecy series instead of the Exorcist series, with humanity on the sidelines watching. But on a more serious note, every possession story I've ever come across makes it clear that it's is a human struggle against evil. Your faith in God is supposed to be all the strength you need against demonic forces.

• Love 5

I still don't get the significance of what Marcus sprinkled in the water.  I don't think he was trying to baptize the priest - he was essentially waterboarding him.  I also didn't think the priest was possessed, just a Satan worshipper, like the Patroness, so why would his face be burning off?  I wish they would explain that a little better.

8 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I really like this show, but it makes me go back to my pet peeve with these possession stories: Where is God? And why doesn't she/he send any help in the form of angels as innocent humans are being slaughtered? 

Didn't God give Satan dominion over earth when he cast him down?  I thought the story goes like this:  

God gave dominion of the world and its creatures to Adam. When he allowed himself to be deceived by Satan, he gave that dominion to Satan. By his disobedience, he joined Satan in his rebellion against God.

That in receiving free will, we are pretty much on our own.  Babies are murdered, people are tortured, wars kills millions.  God doesn't interfere there, either.  Tomas seems to think that God is speaking through Henry, so God is somewhere.  Plus, God worked through Marcus, Tomas, and the nuns, as they exorcised people.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I still don't get the significance of what Marcus sprinkled in the water.  I don't think he was trying to baptize the priest - he was essentially waterboarding him.  I also didn't think the priest was possessed, just a Satan worshipper, like the Patroness, so why would his face be burning off?

The priest is possessed, he has the third pupil. At first I thought Marcus was trying to exorcize the demon, but then it seemed to turn into an interrogation to find out the groups plan.

• Love 3

Re why the demon seems more powerful with Angela than with Casey, I'll fanwank that a) Angela is a mind and body it knew so it didn't take it long to fit into it like an old glove and b) Angela invited him back. With Casey the demon had to break her in and wear her down and also entice her with fleeting moments of power like a drug dealer giving freebie hits until you get them hooked and begging for more which is when you reveal your true price of doing business - which Casey realized wasn't what she wanted and so she was caught between possession and trying to stop full integration.

Rationally, Casey, Kat, and Henry definitely needed to run for the hills and Angela no doubt would want her family to get away from her and save themselves, but damn, I still felt for her when her family was like, 'We out and we can't save mom so we're leaving her here'. I mean after all the shit she suffered, Angela was being left to have her soul consumed by her worst nightmare.

It's only right that Tomas face the demon as he's been the weak one while Marcus 'holy warrior guns abalazin' isn't able to take charge. Tomas now has to put up or shut up.

PazuzuAngela isn't concerned about keeping up appearances as normal Angela because it thinks his team has got the win in the bag regarding the Pope. Even if the Pope assassination doesn't take, Pazuzu has Angela - the one that got away- and as it said is doing its victory lap. Hopefully it's cockiness will be its downfall.

Having said that Pazuzu was like a pig reveling in poop flouncing and slipping around town killing people, touring with everyone, and trying to guzzle wine while Kat was praying. 

Marcus knocking and kicking the crap out of the possessed priest was great. He deserved it for wiping the caviar on such a nice robe and pajama set.

I wish this was an anthology too as it's got a solid dynamic duo on Marcus and Tomas and the crew and writers can tell a tight thrilling story. Doubtful we'll get a season 2 so I hope we get a resolution that has some measure of victory for Angela even if the ongoing war with the demons wanting to take Earth is ongoing.

Edited by TobinAlbers
  • Love 2