Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls: Another Year in the Life Season 2 Speculation

photo fox
  • Start Topic

Gilmore Girls: Another Year in the Life Season 2 Speculation   POLL OPEN

152 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My speculation for another season is dim.  I know that this show is about Rory and Lorelai but there was much emphasis put on Luke and Lorelai's relationship and I believe many of those shippers were let down.  It almost seemed like ASP had to have them be together and get married for a lame attempt to fan service, but there story was written with less than enthusiasm. 

This revival was written with things that ASP loved; theater plays and the LDB.  I'm not saying a little didn't have a place in it, but so much had to be cut from her scripts to accommodate her passions, therefore eliminating the stories the fans wished to see. Questions weren't answered that helped bring this revival to life. Questions from the fans that made the revival possible. The Gilmore Guys did a survey of which final people liked better; more chose season 7 over the revival.

The OS was Lorelai's story.  If there is another season it will be Rory's story and that is not one that I care to follow.  I had to chuckle when I read the article that ASP said she didn't think she wrote Rory unlikeable.  For me, Rory hasn't been likeable since the end of season 4.  

If there were to be another season, I may watch out of curiosity but I won't be looking forward to it as I did this one.  At least I won't be disappointed. 

• Love 6

I liked the Revival. I liked Bunheads so I didn't resent ASP giving that cast work and stuff like the musical really meshes with my sense of humor. Mostly, the Revival did the great service of making me feel better about Lorelai.  I really didn't like or side with her through most of her S6-7 controversies. That's a bigger problem for Lorelai than Rory for me because I always feel like the show is more in touch with the flounder/fuck up parts of Rory's story while Lorelai is more whitewashed. Also, Rory has a vulnerability and guilt through a lot of her worst actions while Lorelai is more self righteous/martyr-like. 

I also appreciated the Revival telling messy dark stories. I think it could have been easier to take a lovable curtain call with the snow globe town. I think a S2 is eminently desirable because I'm still into the story but also to leave Rory in a better place. I think a S2 should feature Rory having the baby but with a very different story from Lorelai. The only thing I'm averse to is some Christopher = Logan, Jess = Luke retread triangle. 

Actually, the ONE retread story that I could get into is tension between Rory wanting total freedom with the child and Lorelai/Luke, in their own way, smothering in a "Well, a grandparent is a type of parent." Particularly with Lorelai. But it would have to be delicately done. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 4

According to a recent article by ASP (sorry, I couldn't copy the link) she is considering an abortion for Rory if there is a new season. Which would totally blow her full circle, unoriginal idea for the end of the series and her final four words. 

Whatever Rory considers, she better get the father's opinion. She owes him that.

I am one of the few who would like a second season jus to see the Rory story wrapped up. I became more interested in Rory's plot from S6/7 anyway. I like Stars Hallow but I guess I prefer when the characters are out of that environment. Rory going to college added a new aspect to the show that I loved.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, FictionLover said:

According to a recent article by ASP (sorry, I couldn't copy the link) she is considering an abortion for Rory if there is a new season. Which would totally blow her full circle, unoriginal idea for the end of the series and her final four words. 

I think an abortion would be a bad storyline. As I said on another thread, the good thing about abortions in real life is how they diminish drama but that makes them terrible fictional plot devices. I know the quote that you're referring to- I thought it was ASP defensively trying to burnish her feminist credentials in the press. Nothing more. 

Which is fine, btw. I see nothing wrong with ASP saying she'd proudly feature a heroine who had an abortion even though she herself was the product of a teen unplanned pregnancy. However choosing to not write that because it's more interesting to tell a story about Rory as a mother, a new Gilmore generation, a story about the father, how the rest of Rory's family deals, etc. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 4

I don't know if they'll have a season 2 but if they did I know how I would want it to end. Luke taking a break from the diner to stay home and look after the baby while Rory finishes her book and Lorelai finishes the inn and annex. :)

• Love 2
13 hours ago, nolieblue said:

I don't know if they'll have a season 2 but if they did I know how I would want it to end. Luke taking a break from the diner to stay home and look after the baby while Rory finishes her book and Lorelai finishes the inn and annex. :)

Yeah, regardless of the circumstances surrounding Rory's pregnancy, Lorelai's about to find that Superproud Luke is nothing compared to Superduperproud Grandaddy Luke. Multiply by the nth power if it's a boy.

Edited by junienmomo
  • Love 3

I don't know who they are trying to fool, all the evidence and foreshadowing leads to Logan being the father. And considering who Rory basically looked down her nose at Paul and Wookieguy, they both dodged a bullet imo.

Though it would be satisfying that if Paul, Wookie, or some other random was the father, they would be loving, supportive fathers who are totally devoted to their baby and not the least interested in being with Rory. That might give her something to chew on.

• Love 7

I think if they do come back for season 2 it'll be with Rory's daughter (Lorelai III) being similar to Lorelai I. It'll be played for wacky hijinks, how sweet, serious, perfect Rory cannot contain this difficult and exhausting child and possibly for drama when Lorelai gets along better with Rory's daughter than Rory gets along with her. 

Edited by Miss Scarlet
  • Love 1

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that it would be ok if Alexis Bledel doesn't play Rory, as it is rumored that she didn't like her storyline and doesn't want a follow on.

They'd have to be careful in casting, but someone with similar beauty and better acting skills would probably help Rory get out of this full circle plot mess. 

I don't think they'd ever do that but I would love someone else to play Rory. A lot of people seemed to have warmed to AB's acting over the years, but I still think it's terrible. In the OG there were so many scenes ruined for me because I couldn't stop focusing on how bad her acting was.

Interesting that she didn't like what ASP did with the Rory character. I was curious to know if the cast sees the characters as ASP does (wonderful and sympathetic) or as many fans do (self-centred messes). 

13 hours ago, Miss Scarlet said:

I don't think they'd ever do that but I would love someone else to play Rory. A lot of people seemed to have warmed to AB's acting over the years, but I still think it's terrible. In the OG there were so many scenes ruined for me because I couldn't stop focusing on how bad her acting was.

Interesting that she didn't like what ASP did with the Rory character. I was curious to know if the cast sees the characters as ASP does (wonderful and sympathetic) or as many fans do (self-centred messes). 

Keep in mind that most of the cast wants to continue with the show, and as we apparently learned from the Liz actress (Wilhoite?) situation, ASP can hold a grudge. When you're talking about a pile of money, people are willing to do a lot. Look at how well the cast kept asking off-screen handlers "Can I answer that question?" during the lead-in to the release. That was Netflix, of course, but I can imagine there was a pile of money attached to not giving away plot points.

• Love 1
On 12/8/2016 at 0:07 AM, takalotti said:

Not saying I want any of the following to happen. They just popped into my head.

So we had L/L looking into how they could have a baby so that Luke could have a "fresh kid" and get to be there for all of a kid's growing up. And then Rory ends up pregnant and doesn't seem super jazzed about it.

What if they have L/L raise the baby?

If this happened, I doubt it would be decided on before or even immediately after Rory gives birth. But I could see Rory living at home, Lorelai and especially Luke pitching in a LOT. I'm imagining a lot of "no you go ahead, I got this" comments from Luke.

And them some career opportunity comes up for Rory. But for some reason she can't swing it with having a baby (too much travel, relocating where she wouldn't have a support structure, not enough salary for child care). She feels held back. Luke says to Lorelai, "What if we raise her/him?"

I wouldn't want Rory to just go, "Tralalala, see ya later!" But she could have some conflict over how she's being the exact opposite kind of mother as Lorelai.

I just rewatched the whole show and then the revival and this occurred to me too. Rory doesn't seem super thrilled to be pregnant and they didn't show her as being very good with kids (see how she was with Paris and Doyle's kids), plus her life is really up in the air right now. I can see her staying longer at home to finish the book and then having the baby and still living there, and of course that gives Luke and Lorelai the opportunity to "parent" as grandparents. It would be awkward on one hand because I think Lorelai wouldn't want that situation for Rory, but I think she and Luke would really enjoy having the baby around and it would satisfy those "we never got our own baby" urges that they were dealing with. Then the book could take off or Rory could magically land a dream job and feel pulled in two directions and end up leaving the kid with Luke and Lorelai "for a little while" but then that little while stretches out more and more and eventually she's more of an older sister to the baby than a mom.

22 hours ago, junienmomo said:

Keep in mind that most of the cast wants to continue with the show, and as we apparently learned from the Liz actress (Wilhoite?) situation, ASP can hold a grudge. When you're talking about a pile of money, people are willing to do a lot. Look at how well the cast kept asking off-screen handlers "Can I answer that question?" during the lead-in to the release. That was Netflix, of course, but I can imagine there was a pile of money attached to not giving away plot points.

What happened with the actress who played Liz? I've been out of the Gilmore gossip loop for awhile.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Petunia846 said:

they didn't show her as being very good with kids (see how she was with Paris and Doyle's kids).

I 100 % agree with this, but the sad thing is, I think the show actually had the complete opposite intentions. I think they believed that Rory's time with P/D's kids were supposed to show she was actually going to be good with kids.

"Hey, how can we lay the foundation that Rory will be maternal?"

"Should we create some wacky hijinks where she gets stuck with some kids but manages it fine?"

"Ugh, no, what are we, an 80s sitcom?"

"Oh! Let's have her volunTEER to be around kids. Then everyone will know she WANTS to be around kids."

"Great idea!"

later

"Hey, I read the scenes where Rory's with Paris' kids."

"Aren't they great?!"

"She ignores them the whole time."

"Yeah, but she volunteered to be there, so everyone will know she wants to be a mom!"

Edited by takalotti
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Petunia846 said:

I just rewatched the whole show and then the revival and this occurred to me too. Rory doesn't seem super thrilled to be pregnant and they didn't show her as being very good with kids (see how she was with Paris and Doyle's kids), plus her life is really up in the air right now. I can see her staying longer at home to finish the book and then having the baby and still living there, and of course that gives Luke and Lorelai the opportunity to "parent" as grandparents. It would be awkward on one hand because I think Lorelai wouldn't want that situation for Rory, but I think she and Luke would really enjoy having the baby around and it would satisfy those "we never got our own baby" urges that they were dealing with. Then the book could take off or Rory could magically land a dream job and feel pulled in two directions and end up leaving the kid with Luke and Lorelai "for a little while" but then that little while stretches out more and more and eventually she's more of an older sister to the baby than a mom.

What happened with the actress who played Liz? I've been out of the Gilmore gossip loop for awhile.

Ah, I googled it. Wilhoite herself brought up the fact on Twitter that she wasn't asked back, implying there was a falling out of some sort. 

Kathleen Wilhoite‏@RealKathleenW

@melissamccarthy Hah!Well, then I'm in good company. U rule, Melissa. I wasn't asked back either, tho, I think for entirely diffrnt reasons.

6 hours ago, takalotti said:

I 100 % agree with this, but the sad thing is, I think the show actually had the complete opposite intentions. I think they believed that Rory's time with P/D's kids were supposed to show she was actually going to be good with kids.

That's probably true.

6 hours ago, junienmomo said:

Ah, I googled it. Wilhoite herself brought up the fact on Twitter that she wasn't asked back, implying there was a falling out of some sort. 

How odd. I missed her and TJ. I also missed even getting just a mention of their kid.

On 1/2/2017 at 2:54 PM, Winston Wolfe said:

From the Huffington Post, ideas for continuing the Revival:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gilmore-girls-a-year-in-the-life-pitches_us_583ded6ee4b0ae0e7cda6d09

Nice satire, but what's really hilarious is how many of these pitches are totally consistent with the Revival.

These are great! My two favorites are the one that ends with Lorelai saying "You're such a great kid" and the one with the call to Emily. They pretty much sum up ALL of the GG series.

• Love 1

The revival seems to be telling us that "full circle" means Rory will follow Lorelai and end up a glamorous single mother raising her child in quirky Stars Hollow. Except another way to see "full circle" is that Rory follows Christopher by dumping the kid on Lorelai and Luke and takes off to enjoy her own life. She really doesn't seem that great with kids, and if Lorelai bonded better with the baby and was a "force of nature" (whatever the hell that means) she might decide like Christopher that there was no point getting between the two of them.

I don't think another season would do that but in a way it makes more sense - Rory always seemed more like her father than her mother to me, and Lorelai must have seen it as well, because in Christopher Returns she tells Chris Rory is more like him than he imagines.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Petunia846 said:

I just rewatched the whole show and then the revival and this occurred to me too. Rory doesn't seem super thrilled to be pregnant and they didn't show her as being very good with kids (see how she was with Paris and Doyle's kids), plus her life is really up in the air right now. I can see her staying longer at home to finish the book and then having the baby and still living there, and of course that gives Luke and Lorelai the opportunity to "parent" as grandparents. 

Ditto. Even in the original series there was little indication Rory liked kids/babies. She couldn't even look at Sookie when she about to give birth to Martha and wasn't that interested in Gigi. (Granted there were external circumstances there, but she was her half-sister - if there was a baby she'd coo over it would that one). Yes she was a teenager and a lot of teenagers who wouldn't touch babies with a barge pole go onto be doting parents. But personally I could see OS Rory as someone who was happy focusing on her writing, travels and a partner with no need for children. (That might just be my interpretation, and it was too early to call. But the revival didn't indicate she'd developed motherly inclinations in the last decade. Which is fine, it would have been nice if a female character - Paris or Rory would be the most obvious - was allowed to be happy without children). 

On 1/3/2017 at 8:54 AM, Winston Wolfe said:

From the Huffington Post, ideas for continuing the Revival:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gilmore-girls-a-year-in-the-life-pitches_us_583ded6ee4b0ae0e7cda6d09

Nice satire, but what's really hilarious is how many of these pitches are totally consistent with the Revival.

Bahaha, the one with the New Yorker and - connecting to the above note - the one with Rory "forgetting" her kid seemed pretty accurate for revival Rory. 

Edited by TimetravellingBW
  • Love 3

To paraphrase Emily, I'm a "No. we haven't failed. When that girl pulls a Christopher and abandons her kid, THEN we failed" viewer in terms of my rooting for Rory.  It's a juicy storyline that spreads more to do for Luke/Lorelai who seemed like their story was resolved and possibly Emily if she got involved. However I don't think Rory would do that. I think Rory feels responsibility and love for family and that's my most important benchmark of whether a person parents their kid. Maybe more likely is a story where Rory sticks around trying to parent but feels flaily and insecure with Supermom Lorelai aroundand tries playing assistant to Lorelai's primary parent. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, TimetravellingBW said:

Ditto. Even in the original series there was little indication Rory liked kids/babies. She couldn't even look at Sookie when she about to give birth to Martha and wasn't that interested in Gigi. (Granted there were external circumstances there, but she was her half-sister - if there was a baby she'd coo over it would that one). Yes she was a teenager and a lot of teenagers who wouldn't touch babies with a barge pole go onto be doting parents. But personally I could see OS Rory as someone who was happy focusing on her writing, travels and a partner with no need for children.

I have a hard time seeing Rory as a mother for this very reason. Granted, most people's views on parenthood and marriage change dramatically from the time they are teens to mid-adulthood, but even in the revival Rory behavior gave very little indication she was into the idea of either.  I think that made Rory pretty interesting, too-usually sweet, quiet "relationship" type woman are portrayed as being future wannabe mothers but Rory was more interested in making a name for herself and traveling. It would've been nice if she would've been allowed to stay against type, but oh well.

Maybe more likely is a story where Rory sticks around trying to parent but feels flaily and insecure with Supermom Lorelai aroundand tries playing assistant to Lorelai's primary parent. 

This is in line with my headcannon. I wouldn't put it all on Lorelai being too Supermom, though. Motherhood is going to be a hell of an adjustment for Rory, it is hard enough when it is something you've wanted and this basically just snuck up on Rory, especially since motherhood is something Rory had very little prior interest in. I see Rory struggling with the day to day struggle of being a mom and having a hard time learning to adjust her goals with the needs and wants of her baby. I think Lorelai and Luke would of course pick up the slack but Lorelai might get frustrated with Rory. If I trusted ASP to write it, it could actually end up being a very sympathetic, relatable storyline for Rory. But imho ASP doesn't really seem to understand pregnancy or parenting a young child in the same way she did the parent-teen or parent-adult child dynamics. Rory becoming a mother will probably be a twee mess in her hands, yet another reason I'm hesitant to see a second season of the revival if she and DP are helming it.

• Love 7

HeySandyStrange, I'd watch the hell out of that show. I also completely agree with your take on Rory having very little inclination towards motherhood so I think it would be really interesting and original portrayal of a young mother especially with Supermom!Lorelai there to make it that much obvious.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, HeySandyStrange said:

yet another reason I'm hesitant to see a second season of the revival if she and DP are helming it.

Okay, is it terrible that I chuckled quite a bit at the idea of someone other than ASP/DP being asked to do a follow-up to AYITL?  That would, IMO, be the ultimate poetic justice to ASP's temper tantrum-ing insistence that she's the only one who can handle this show properly - to be replaced not once, but twice.  Heh.

• Love 11
On 1/4/2017 at 3:05 PM, HeySandyStrange said:

I have a hard time seeing Rory as a mother for this very reason. Granted, most people's views on parenthood and marriage change dramatically from the time they are teens to mid-adulthood, but even in the revival Rory behavior gave very little indication she was into the idea of either.  I think that made Rory pretty interesting, too-usually sweet, quiet "relationship" type woman are portrayed as being future wannabe mothers but Rory was more interested in making a name for herself and traveling. It would've been nice if she would've been allowed to stay against type, but oh well.

Very true. So often women uninterested in being mothers are portrayed as cold, tough, fiercely independent, career-focused characters (frequently Paris types). Having a sensitive, caring character like Rory - at least pre-revival Rory - who seems to thrive with relationships/boyfriends but decides not to have kids would flip things. And suggest that women who choose not to have kids aren't somehow unfeeling and do have close and loving relationships - just not motherhood.  Instead we got "every woman will become a mother, especially if she doesn't want children at that time in life.

20 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Okay, is it terrible that I chuckled quite a bit at the idea of someone other than ASP/DP being asked to do a follow-up to AYITL?  That would, IMO, be the ultimate poetic justice to ASP's temper tantrum-ing insistence that she's the only one who can handle this show properly - to be replaced not once, but twice.  Heh.

Sadly, I admit that idea made me laugh as well. To be fair, I used to sympathize with ASP regarding the original fallout: Despite the weaknesses of s5-6 she had created a great show and then got shafted from the sound of it. (As too often happens to writers dealing with TV executives). 

However since the revival, seeing the "original vision" she planned for Rory from the start, how she didn't bother to mesh the story with s7 because of selfish pettiness (Logan, lack of filling the gaps in the last 10 years), the way she lashes back at disappointed fans for criticizing the revival - she had to know fans would be upset - and started sticking it to Netflix as well (the whole "they cut funding!") thing....Well, now I have no sympathy for her. And little faith or interest in her being able to write the show better than other people. (s7 now looks much better in comparison, yes it was shaky in the first half and the L/C marriage was terrible but it got back on it's feet and at least honoured the characters).

If Netflix announced a s2 with different writers I'd be curious and hope that ASP realized it was a consequence of clinging to "my way is the only way! All criticism is wrong!" and throwing the characters her audience cared about under a bus for the sake of her original, outdated vision.

Edited by TimetravellingBW
  • Love 10
On 1/3/2017 at 9:05 PM, HeySandyStrange said:

even in the revival Rory behavior gave very little indication she was into the idea of either [parenthood or marriage.]

they didn't show her as being very good with kids (see how she was with Paris and Doyle's kids).

I don't know that being good with and interested in others' children matters is much of a barometer of one's suitability to be a parent. As the saying goes, "It's different when they're your own." I know lots of women who were awkward or indifferent towards children or even disliked them well into adulthood but were thrilled with their own children and became loving, doting moms. My own mother, who was as devoted and caring a mom as you could wish for, has not only been candid with me about not caring for children before she had her own but is also completely indifferent towards kids who aren't hers. Her total lack of interest in my cousins' kids at family gatherings is hilarious.

Thinking that the parenting aptitude of a would-be mom can be measured by how "maternal" she seems and how interested she is in children in general is a mistake, in my opinion.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, TimetravellingBW said:

However since the revival, seeing the "original vision" she planned for Rory from the start, how she didn't bother to mesh the story with s7 because of selfish pettiness (Logan, lack of filling the gaps in the last 10 years), the way she lashes back at disappointed fans for criticizing the revival - she had to know fans would be upset - and started sticking it to Netflix as well (the whole "they cut funding!") thing....Well, now I have no sympathy for her. And little faith or interest in her being able to write the show better than other people. (s7 now looks much better in comparison, yes it was shaky in the first half and the L/C marriage was terrible but it got back on it's feet and at least honoured the characters).

If Netflix announced a s2 with different writers I'd be curious and hope that ASP realized it was a consequence of clinging to "my way is the only way! All criticism is wrong!" and throwing the characters her audience cared about under a bus for the sake of her original, outdated vision.

At this point I actually would feel more confident if a S2 came from someone else. I understand ASP wanting her original vision to come to life but because the revival was her chance to make things right, I think if she was going to acknowledge S7 then there was no reason she shouldn't have been able to watch it in preparation. Otherwise I think she would've been better off ignoring S7 altogether and I don't even think she would've been met with much resistance there. (But I think one of the reasons S7 did struggle was because of the giant mess ASP left for it in S6.) But to take jabs at a season she didn't even watch, and when she had given up control over where the story would go after S6, was just immature. And it was uneven storytelling to reference some things but not others.

But that's what worries me with ASP at the helm, spite writing. And now that she's gotten her final four words, she could take things in any direction she wanted and with, what comes across as, her very low opinion of anyone who dares question her, her perfect revenge for that would be to take it out on the characters. Spite her critics even more.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Thinking that the parenting aptitude of a would-be mom can be measured by how "maternal" she seems and how interested she is in children in general is a mistake, in my opinion.

I don't disagree, and I'm not saying that Rory can't or won't become a good mother to her child. I was just thinking that the road to becoming a good, loving mother wouldn't be easy-peasy for Rory and would give her a good storyline with the potential for real growth that I feel was severely lacking in the first season of the revival. Speaking as someone who has always wanted to be a parent, the struggle is real no matter if you love children or are generally maternal. Rory is a creature of habit and likes a certain comfort zone and parenthood really has a way of pushing you out of both of those.  She would probably want it all, to be supermom, to be independent, to pursue any and all her dreams at a whim and would be brought crashing down quickly when she realized how much motherhood is going to temper all that.

It would go a long way into making Rory less of a special snowflake. I know I would find it very relatable and I would bet so would many others.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, HeySandyStrange said:

I don't disagree, and I'm not saying that Rory can't or won't become a good mother to her child. I was just thinking that the road to becoming a good, loving mother wouldn't be easy-peasy for Rory and would give her a good storyline with the potential for real growth that I feel was severely lacking in the first season of the revival. Speaking as someone who has always wanted to be a parent, the struggle is real no matter if you love children or are generally maternal. Rory is a creature of habit and likes a certain comfort zone and parenthood really has a way of pushing you out of both of those.  She would probably want it all, to be supermom, to be independent, to pursue any and all her dreams at a whim and would be brought crashing down quickly when she realized how much motherhood is going to temper all that.

It would go a long way into making Rory less of a special snowflake. I know I would find it very relatable and I would bet so would many others.

Fair enough; Rory is pretty self-centered, so learning to put someone else's needs first and foremost would not come easy to her.

• Love 2
On 1/6/2017 at 9:38 AM, Eyes High said:

Fair enough; Rory is pretty self-centered, so learning to put someone else's needs first and foremost would not come easy to her.

Especially since, imo, Rory's attitude toward her pregnancy is "what the hell, why not? Better than struggling with journalism, anyway."  Yeah, of course she can be a good mom, as Lorelai is both a pretty good mom while also being quite selfish at times. But, like others have said, Lorelai's example of motherhood as a guidepost and focus for one's life just might be a lot harder for Rory than Lorelai.  Rory is a lot older than 16 and more set in her ways.

ETA: It would pretty interesting if Rory were a mother who specifically didn't like young kids or babies, or even older kids. Mothers who don't a certain age well are realistic, but I think rarer in fiction.

Edited by moonb
  • Love 1

Where did this meme that Rory doesn't like kids come from? She was friendly and good with the kids of guests after the fire in the Poe episode. When seeing the babies nursing at Luke's, her first reaction was to excitedly coo "Ooh, babies." She was into the baby accouterments at Lane's shower. Yes, Sookie starting to go into labor made her queasy. That has no bearing for me on whether she likes babies. I know some Liz type people wax poetic on the beauty of childbirth but I think it's the ugly, painful headache to be endured in order to get an adorable baby at the end. (I love babies and kids.) And her relationship with Christopher is so fraught, I would expect her awkwardness with Gigi. 

Mainly I think Rory's attitude on children hasn't been explored because she didn't really run into them. But she's probably in favor of them. 

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, Melancholy said:

Where did this meme that Rory doesn't like kids come from? She was friendly and good with the kids of guests after the fire in the Poe episode. When seeing the babies nursing at Luke's, her first reaction was to excitedly coo "Ooh, babies." She was into the baby accouterments at Lane's shower. Yes, Sookie starting to go into labor made her queasy. That has no bearing for me on whether she likes babies. I know some Liz type people wax poetic on the beauty of childbirth but I think it's the ugly, painful headache to be endured in order to get an adorable baby at the end. (I love babies and kids.) And her relationship with Christopher is so fraught, I would expect her awkwardness with Gigi. 

Mainly I think Rory's attitude on children hasn't been explored because she didn't really run into them. But she's probably in favor of them. 

I've no the show indication that she dislikes or is uncomfortable around baby. 

In addition to everything you mentioned, she was also babysitting Gigi in OS and Paris' kids in the Revival. 

• Love 1

The only people in GG we really see expressing wholly positive feelings about babies and kids are Lorelai and Sookie, I think. Sookie is excited about being pregnant in season 3, and Lorelai is excited/nostalgic.  But Lane has super mixed feelings about her pregnancy, and she was never shown being around kids or having an opinion on them before having the boys. Sookie has her freakout about not being a child-person while catering the kids' birthday party. Emily likes her own family, but is hardly a baby person and seems to enjoy seeing kids in society-appropriate settings, like the cotillion. She's pretty dismissive of them otherwise. RevivalEmily might have different feelings about that, but she'd hardly turn into a brand new person. Paris feels distant and detached from her kids - something else not going according to plan in her life.  I don't think Rory's attitude is different from most of the other characters.  Of course, a lot of them don't have *planned* pregnancies they're thrilled about at first, so....:)

15 hours ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

When did we see Rory's reaction to being pregnant? And she expresses preferring being pregnant to a career? 

Just my interpretation of Rory's whole story arc: talking about feeling lost, flailing in journalism, insisting that she's not like the 30-something crowd, having the talk with Christopher about Lorelai's raising Rory herself. I very much doubt she'd leave her writing career behind, since the revival shows the opposite.  My take on the last scene was Rory still trying to wrap her head about being pregnant unexpectedly and by an ex as well, and maybe having to refocus her life. 

Edited by moonb
  • Love 1

I don't think the show nor the revival featured Rory making a pro-con list regarding babies, so it's safe to say she hasn't made her final decision on if she is for or against. ;)

I am visiting this page after a few weeks and notice that there isn't as much chatter going on and it makes me wonder if interest is down due to the disappointment of the revival?  It is for me, so I may just be projecting my feelings.  I didn't hate it but I didn't find it satisfying. My speculation is that there will not be another season, the reviews don't seem to be strong enough. AYITL wasn't nominated for any awards, including the People's Choice Award. After all, it was the diehard fans that made the revival happen and then ASP really did leave many of them down. Not to mention that ASP will probably have a little hissy-fit that people didn't love her little musical and the LDB debacle, and refuse to write more.

Edited by FictionLover
  • Love 7
51 minutes ago, FictionLover said:

I am visiting this page after a few weeks and notice that there isn't as much chatter going on and it makes me wonder if interest is down due to the disappointment of the revival?

Most likely.

51 minutes ago, FictionLover said:

I didn't hate it but I didn't find it satisfying.

Same.

52 minutes ago, FictionLover said:

My speculation is that there will not be another season, the reviews don't seem to be strong enough.

After all, it was the diehard fans that made the revival happen and then ASP really did leave many of them down.

I agree, and totally.  I genuinely feel sorry for the people who went all out with these huge GG-themed parties and stayed up all night to watch it when it aired and everything else.  I'm glad my daughter and I didn't plan anything.  I didn't hate it, but what a let down that would have been.  

54 minutes ago, FictionLover said:

Not to mention that ASP will probably have a little hissy-fit that people didn't love her little musical and the LDB debacle, and refuse to write more.

Ha, truth.

• Love 1

I don't think there will be another season because I hear the ratings weren't that great.  However, I read Lauren's book, and she seemed to hint at one. She kept mentioning "Weren't the final four words a cliffhanger?"

26 minutes ago, deaja said:

I don't think there will be another season because I hear the ratings weren't that great.  However, I read Lauren's book, and she seemed to hint at one. She kept mentioning "Weren't the final four words a cliffhanger?"

But she wrote be book prior to the release of the series.  She also said in the book how great the musical was and people would love it.

• Love 1

I admit I hated every second of it.  If there were a prayer in hell that someone other than ASP would write a sequel and LISTEN TO THE FANS, I would consider watching.  But I felt ASP just gave us all a big "screw you" with that horrible mess.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, FictionLover said:

Not to mention that ASP will probably have a little hissy-fit that people didn't love her little musical and the LDB debacle, and refuse to write more.

Or she will but make the characters act even worse just to piss people off more.

I think something that got forgotten in the outrage of S7 and losing ASP is that while she may have given us gems like S1 and 2, she was also responsible for the end of S6. So I just find myself wary of her writing, even more now that the revival happened and we've seen her stubborn refusal to let go of bad storyline ideas.

I'm also so sick of the will they/won't they bring this back. Honestly I miss when TV shows were allowed to end.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, FictionLover said:

But she wrote be book prior to the release of the series.  She also said in the book how great the musical was and people would love it.

Really? That makes me wonder about Lauren Graham. I thought her to be pretty "with it" and intelligent but the fact she thought the musical was going to be so great...I wonder what they hell the actors saw in it that we didn't.

I admit I hated every second of it.  If there were a prayer in hell that someone other than ASP would write a sequel and LISTEN TO THE FANS, I would consider watching.  But I felt ASP just gave us all a big "screw you" with that horrible mess.

This ^. Pretty much how I feel.  ASP has proven how limited she is at telling a nuanced, well-rounded story. No reason to let her ruin the characters more then she already has. 

• Love 3
On 1/30/2017 at 2:41 PM, HeySandyStrange said:

Really? That makes me wonder about Lauren Graham. I thought her to be pretty "with it" and intelligent but the fact she thought the musical was going to be so great...I wonder what they hell the actors saw in it that we didn't.

This ^. Pretty much how I feel.  ASP has proven how limited she is at telling a nuanced, well-rounded story. No reason to let her ruin the characters more then she already has. 

She couldn't really have written that it was going to suck, right? I didn't read the book, so I guess she could have not mentioned it, but if she was talking about the revival she had to say positive things.

1 minute ago, KaveDweller said:

She couldn't really have written that it was going to suck, right? I didn't read the book, so I guess she could have not mentioned it, but if she was talking about the revival she had to say positive things.

True, but...mind you, I haven't read the book either, but if I was her I would've played up some of the LEGIT good parts of the revival, few and far though those were. Richard's funeral, Lorelai's call to Emily in Fall, or Luke and Lorelai's wedding among them. The musical didn't even feature any great moments from her, so it's just odd that she'd single that.

11 hours ago, HeySandyStrange said:

True, but...mind you, I haven't read the book either, but if I was her I would've played up some of the LEGIT good parts of the revival, few and far though those were. Richard's funeral, Lorelai's call to Emily in Fall, or Luke and Lorelai's wedding among them. The musical didn't even feature any great moments from her, so it's just odd that she'd single that.

I listened to the audiobook and I can't remember everything she said about the revival itself but I couldn't forget her rave review of the musical in AYITL.  She continued to say that it was so good that she believed (this is paraphrased) it would be used in the with future with colleges and acting schools because it was so good and funny.  As I said, I can't remember exactly what she said but that was the gist of it. Probably because I was still in shock of her glowing review :/

Here are a few other things I do remember:

During her line at the campfire when she said "My name is Lorelai Gilmore and I am from a small in Connecticut", that it was very difficult for her to get it out without crying.

how great it was to see the guy that played Digger and it was emotional for her to get her lines out with him. 

Of course, she was happy to see David Sutcliff.

She said very little about Scott Patterson, except for the fact that Luke was not suppose to be a regular character in the show and Scott made it happen for himself.

There was a little more about other cast members but that is what I remember.  Much of her book was her life in college and breaking into show business.  I think it was better to listen to it because I could clean my house while I listened; I don't think it would of kept my interest to read it.

Edited by FictionLover
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, FictionLover said:

She continued to say that it was so good that she believed (this is paraphrased) it would be used in the with future with colleges and acting schools because it was so good and funny.

That has got to be one of the most puzzling things I've ever read.

• Love 4

She spent a lot of time talking about all the different actors that she was close to outside of the show.  It made some of the cameos make sense to me - she seemed to lobby for people to get cast/get screentime, etc.  Digger was one of them.