Type keyword(s) to search

Hidden Figures (2016)

starri
  • Start Topic

I finally saw this today and loved everything about it, including a) that they didn't make Kevin Costner's character too over the top as a savior white man (hammering down the sign came close), b) Janelle Monae's bedroom wallpaper, and c) MAHERSHALA ALI'S FACE.

My uncle was a NASA engineer in the 1960s. I'm interested to hear if he had any interaction with this incredible squad of black women and I hope to god he wasn't one of the assholes.

• Love 5

I just finished the book as well.  Per usual, it's better than the movie just because it has more time to cover the material.  And yes, the movie edited reality to amp up the drama, but I think it was essentially true to the experiences of the West Computers.

One thing that impressed me would be hard to convey, even in a mini-series:  how their accomplishments were individual achievements, but also the product of generations.  Not just the working class parents who sacrificed to give their children educations, but all the people who pushed themselves into higher education and created institutions of learning for future generations.

• Love 8
On ‎02‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 4:53 PM, ClareWalks said:

There was something oddly inspiring about "we all pee the same color!"

Unless we've eaten a lot of beets, lol.

I just saw the movie on Saturday, and I loved it.  And I just put the book on hold at the library, based on the recommendations here.

• Love 1

Finally caught this tonight and it was good, even very good a lot of time.  But, I don't know, for some reason, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.  I think it was a case of just getting all pumped up by the raves and hype, and I just found it to be a solid, but predictable and, for a lack of a better word, safe inspirational film, that held no real surprises.  I came out of the theater happy that this will finally give Katherine Johnson, Dorothy Vaughn, and Mary Jackson the credit the adoration they deserve, but not getting the sense that this film will stick with me by next year.  

The acting was mainly great, but I think the directing and writing was just a bit too on the nose and spotty at times (to be fair, this is only Theodore Melfi's second film, but the same can be said for Moonlight's Barry Jenkins, and that film will stick with me for a long time).  I could easily tell what are likely real life events and what was either made up or amplified for dramatic purposes, like the ongoing storyline with Katherine having to run to the opposite end of campus to use the bathroom, and her finally yelling at everyone for it.  Taraji P. Henson was great, of course, but the directing and dialogue just didn't work for me.  And I rolled my eyes hard with it ending with Kevin Costner knocking the sign down and dramatically declaring "In NASA, we all pee the same color!"

Still, it was great seeing Katherine, Dorothy, and Mary's journey and getting recognition, and Henson, Octavia Spencer, and Janelle Monae were all fantastic.  I'm not too surprised that Spencer got the nom since she is a past winner and the scene with her and Kirsten Dunst in the bathroom was one of the best ones, but I actually thought Monae was the highlight.  Between this and Moonlight, I can't wait to see where she goes next with her acting career.  But all three more then nailed their roles.

The supporting cast was good, except Kevin Costner, who I just personally don't care for, and Jim Parsons, who no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't see him as anything but Sheldon, so all of his scenes of him shooting daggers at Katherine made me want to say "Quit being suck a racist and sexist dick, Sheldon!"  Totally didn't know Mahershala Ali and Leverage's Aldis Hodge were going to be in this, so that was a treat, even if they were both punching below their weight class.  But, hey, considering how many great actresses get stuck playing thankless wife roles, I guess it's nice to see great actors have to slum it in thankless husband roles!

Overall, kind of disappointed, but there is still a lot I liked about it, and I'm glad for its success and hope it not only continues to shine a spotlight on Katherine, Dorothy, and Mary, but inspire future generations as well.  It's closer to the bottom of my list out of the Best Picture nominees, but I won't be upset if it is able to pull off an upset like some are hoping. 

• Love 1

That was awesome. I kind of hoped they'd have her read the winner's name.

Mahershala Ali's performance was merely good in this, but after his turn in Moonlight I'm not going to hold it against him for coasting a bit in another film made the same year. And it was the ladies' story, so his character really didn't need anything meatier than what he got to act out.

• Love 2

I thought the film handled the different 'flavors' of discrimination very well.  The casual racism of Kirsten Dunst's character, where it wasn't really consciously thought out, it's just the way thing are and since she's a beneficiary, why change it?  The obliviousness of Kevin Costner's character, where it never occurred to him there might be a bathroom problem.  The malicious racism of the person who put out the (empty) coffee pot labeled 'Colored'.  The chauvinism of Jim Parson's character and his chagrin every time Katherine got one over on him. 

It's a delicate balance to show all these different kinds of discrimination in a story that still needs to be entertaining and I think they nailed it.

• Love 16

Finally saw this last night with my 17 year old daughter.  We were both in awe of these women, and we both looked at each other after the film and said, how did we not know this?  

Me?  I was born in 62, so you would think over the years I would have at least heard of what was happening behind the scenes.  My daughter looked at me and said, why didn't I learn this in school?

Beautiful movie, great story telling and lots of feel good moments.

We did have a WTH moment when Kirsten appeared ... we looked at each other and said, is that Kirsten?  And a few moments later we knew it was her.  When did she get older?  Wasn't it just yesterday she was in Mona Lisa Smile and Spiderman?  ::giggle::

What a great empowerment example that these woman showed.  Put your mind to something and get the job done.  Wow.  Loved it.

• Love 3

In her opening monolog during her excellent job hosting SNL, Octavia Spencer acknowledge that with a total of three movies with predominately black casts, it could be confusing.  But it had given her the idea to write and produce Hidden Fence Light, where three women scientists send a sensitive gay boy to the moon to build a fence.

• Love 17

I saw this again last night, and it occurred to me that, instead of showing Kevin Costner breaking off the "Colored Women's Restroom" sign, they should have shown him breaking off the "White Women's Restroom" sign. Or perhaps both signs.  It's implied, sure, with the "At NASA, we all pee the same color" statement, but I think it would have been more effective if we (and all the characters) saw him break the barrier in the main buildings.

• Love 3

As of yesterday (3/7/2017): Hidden Figures domestic ($159,458,955) & overseas ($36,394,367) box office tallies have the film nearing the $200 million mark ($195,853,322) worldwide.

• Love 5

It hit Blu Ray today.  I moved yesterday, and I was expecting to have it on in the background while I puttered around unpacking.  Nope, sucked me into it completely.  Those books can alphabetize themselves.

I figured since I already knew what was going to happen, I was safe at the end.  Nope, still cried.

• Love 7
On January 30, 2017 at 0:29 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Kirsten is forever an 18-year old cheerleader. (Or a tween vampire, depending on what your favorite childhood/teen role of hers is.) It's therefore weird to see her as a woman in her mid-30's and no longer looking like an ingenue. She HAS proven she can have a post-ingenue career, though, with Fargo and now this. She might be moving into the character actress category, it seems. I thought it was a good role for her.

It's great to see how absolutely thrilled the cast was winning the Sag Award.

I loved her in Fargo! I hope they replay the series, because that was one of my favourite seasons of any TV show, in recent years. I also hadn't realized that she was the blonde woman, until the bathroom scene, near the end of the movie. It's a shock to see her looking a bit older, but it's a shock when I look in the mirror at times, too. 

On February 9, 2017 at 6:25 PM, ClareWalks said:

Fake John Glenn (LOL) was played by the same guy who played Chad Radwell TO PERFECTION in the show "Scream Queens." Watch season 1 of that if you wanna see more Hot Fake John Glenn-ness. 

Finally got to see this movie, it was amazing. I didn't expect Taraji to be so damn GOOD!

That was HIM? I hated Chad at first, but ended up loving him. 

I love John Glenn. I've only ever heard good things about him. I wish that we had learned about these women in school. We got to hear about the astronauts who made it to the moon, or at least to space, but not those who brought them safely back. 

On February 18, 2017 at 4:42 PM, AgentRXS said:

Just re-read that chapter and it appears that

Reveal hidden contents

although the colored sign was removed in the '40s, the cafeteria was still segregated into the '50s. Also, it was Mary that had the issue of walking the long distance to use the colored bathroom, not Katherine. Katherine doesn't care about using the white restrooms, and continued to use them even after a complaint was made.

I guess it makes sense to give Katherine the "colored bathroom" storyline in the movie, so that Taraji has her showcase moment in the movie.  After the book, I guess I just feel some kind of way about Kevin Costner's character getting to play the "white male hero" in that particular scene.

As he was knocking down the sign, I was thinking the same thing.

It's nice to hear that the bathroom racism didn't happen in her building, and that she was respected, but I'm sad to hear that it happened for another character.

I'm embarrassed to say that I initially wondered why she was running so far to a bathroom, and then it hit me! 

I loved the movie. I just watched it, and my sister caught me on the iPad, and asked me if I was actually watching it. I said, "Yes, I'm looking these women up." We were supposed to see this on Christmas Day, or Fences, but the theatre was packed, so we had to come home. 

• Love 1

Maybe I'm late to the game but I finally saw this one the other day and heartily loved it! Not only did it effectively dramatize a part of history I'd never known of talented, determined folks overcoming adversity to be vital components in the team  but it also told had strong, entertaining performances, a stirring set of stories and did what would have been nearly impossible for me- it made mathematics intriguing and fun! Also, I liked that it managed to depict all the above with a minimum of profanity and no gratuitous scenes of sex. I mean this was made in 2016 and actually had a believable, entertaining romance without anyone hopping in the sack or dropping f-bombs every third word yet it was a good hit and won major awards- imagine that! Also, I was very happy to learn that Mrs. Johnson has lived to see her and her colleagues triumphs finally recognized!

• Love 4

The scene that made me feel the worst was after she comes back from the first time she went to the bathroom and the lady secretary is yelling at her about where she's been.  "End of the day means yesterday around here!"

The look on TPH's face was just spot on.  Like a cross between confusion and "are you fucking serious?" and quiet sheepishness.  I just....it made me cry.  

After I saw it this weekend, my dad and I were at dinner and we were discussing the female aspect of the movie.  It was jarring for me to see the struggles I face as a woman so well represented so people can't ignore it.  My dad went "Well, that's how it was." and I said, "Dad...that's how it IS."  I work in the STEM field and spend my days having to convince some male asshole that I know what I'm talking about.  The fact that Katherine repeatedly explained why she should be allowed in on meetings or to see classified numbers without emotion and only employing logic that couldn't be denied was highly powerful for me to see.  She hit it perfectly.

Kevin Costner's reaction after she yelled at him about the bathroom was also very well acted.  He was a man who had just been put in his place regarding his assumption about something he had been too arrogant to see.  And he knew it.  

• Love 8

I showed this film to my mom last weekend, and she loved it. As a (white) woman at a mostly-male plastics plant in the mid-70s, even in the female role of plant nurse, she still had to deal with a lot of gender discrimination at work. But she was still horrified at the BS the characters on screen were going through.

I am in the middle of the book right now, and am really enjoying it. 

I looked up the soundtrack today and found it streaming on Amazon Prime. I don’t know why I thought the songs were from the early ‘60s—turns out they are all Pharrell Williams, Alicia Keys, and other current artists! Will definitely be listening to the entire album soon.

• Love 4
On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 0:06 PM, doram said:

I think I love more than anything that this movie, headlined by three Black women is beating Rogue One. 

As of today 11-13-2017 per IMDB:

Hidden Figures

Opening Weekend: 22.8 m   Gross: 169.3 m

Rogue One

Opening Weekend: 22.6 m   Gross: 532.2 m

I loved Hidden Figures. Not a fan of military movies but they do make moolah.

• Love 1
On 11/17/2016 at 0:51 PM, starri said:

I hadn't even heard about it until I saw a big poster for it when I went and saw Dr. Strange.  But the cast and the subject matter had me immediately.  I love the history of NASA and Octavia Spencer is bae.

When I first saw the release date on the poster I thought "Oh, not very good, dumped in January."  And then I saw the trailer and realized "Nope, going the route of most indie movies that are going to win Oscars."  I'd have seen it anyway, just because of Taraji and Octavia. 

Dh & I were watching this and we both said that we don't remember being taught this in school. Really good movie

Just finally saw this movie and loved it. Why weren't we taught this in school? It was so good and the women were amazing and inspiring. I loved the exchange between between Kirsten and Octavia it was so perfect. "I know. I know you probably believe that." I liked that John Glenn was so nice to everyone and said hello to all the workers. I liked that Dorothy got to bring all thirty women with her. I loved what Mary said to the judge.

• Love 5
On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 3:51 PM, Browncoat said:

I saw this again last night, and it occurred to me that, instead of showing Kevin Costner breaking off the "Colored Women's Restroom" sign, they should have shown him breaking off the "White Women's Restroom" sign. Or perhaps both signs.  It's implied, sure, with the "At NASA, we all pee the same color" statement, but I think it would have been more effective if we (and all the characters) saw him break the barrier in the main buildings.

I'd have to watch it again ( and that would hardly be an imposition), but did the White Women's Restroom have a sign that said that, or was it just assumed that if it didn't say "Colored Women's Restroom", then it was for white women.  Like everyone knows what it means if it's not specified.

• Love 1

Didn’t Katherine ask the department admin where the bathroom was that she could use, and the response was something like she (the admin) had no idea? Film Katherine then ran for the bathroom she knew she could use (IRL Katherine used the white bathroom anyway). So I guess the implication is that unlabeled bathrooms were white only.

• Love 3