Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Chapter Fifty

The resolution of the stuff with Rafael's shares felt a bit like the writers felt like they'd written themselves into a corner, because Rafael's gambit doesn't make a ton of sense to me -- why would Petra need him, specifically, to go up against Scott?  Though I do like that Scott continues to be a savvy enough player of the game of office politics.

Catalina's a fun character so far, though if the narrative is hinting that this was all a plan to get with Rafael...did she really need to go through Jane to do that?  For that matter, that's not really all that nefarious regardless.

Flashbacks to Xo and Rogelio's high school years are something I was actually wondering of late that we'd never seen anything like that.  The guy that had playing the younger Rogelio was decent, though his accent, from his few lines, seemed a lot milder than Jaime Camil's.

• Love 2

Hey, HBO!  Anyone surprised by that first ad?

Is the editing fx to the title now a hint to fx in the show or was it just this episode (line crossing out last week, bomb explosion this week)?

I want Xo and Ro to back together!

The Mateo "sigh" was so cute and funny!

Edited by elle
  • Love 1

I don't trust Catalina at all. I trust Michael and Alba's instinct in this case.

I hope this is the last time Petra and Rafael fight over the hotel. They need to be equal partners and move on from there.

Poor Rogelio but I am sure his quest for more babies will fun.

On principal, I hate Bruce but I really love the actor.

• Love 4

I'm disappointed in Jane for not being even a tiny bit suspicious about Catalina's sudden appearance. I get that she's blind to the weirdness and suspicious nature of the situation, but still. This'll definitely be a flaw of hers because there's no way Catalina is purely good. My first question would have been: "How did you get my address?". Unless Jane gave it to her, Catalina really should be questioned further. Even if Jane did give it to her, call first! You two barely know each other! 

I'm so glad Michael brought up the suspicions. After all he's been through with his partner actually being Rose and him being shot because of it, I'm glad he's keeping a level head about Suspicious New Cousin. Plus, with Jane blowing off Michael and Mateo for Catalina? Yeah, girl, as fun as you are, buh-bye. I just feel like Catalina's moves throughout the episode were extremely calculating and manipulative. Of course, Jane is buying into it, so that makes it easier for Catalina to get away with it. Except Alba doesn't trust her, and neither does Michael. 

Rafael/Catalina doesn't interest me for the reason that Catalina's shady and I want Rafael far away from shady characters.

I actually felt a bit bad for Scott here. Petra had to shut him down so he wouldn't know about the Petra/Anezka switch, but poor guy really fell for her. Luckily he knows now. 

Bruce sounds like The Worst. 

The narrator's sass was on point this episode. His own suspicions about Catalina, with his sass about Jane's jealousy of Rafael/Catalina? Wonderful.

Xo/Rogelio's dance-off was wonderful and sweet. I feel bad for Rogelio. But at least he might actually get another kid.

• Love 5

Raf and Catalina are cute, so of course she will be shady and he will get screwed since he is the show's punching bag. Come on show, let him be happy for a change!

Mateo is so freaking cute. 

Rogelio and Xo need to get back together asap. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Catalina said in the opening scene that she did call and left messages, but Jane's phone was off.

Ah, right! I heard her say it and then forgot about it by episode's end! 

I guess Jane might have given her her address and phone number through their Skype conversation now that I think about it. 

1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Bruce sounds like The Worst. 

I'm sorry, but I can't hate anyone played by Ricardo Chavira. Loved him on Desperate Housewives!

Catalina is another story, can't stand her. Everything about her screams professional con artist - the "unexpected landing" in Miami, the tales of her travel adventures, talking Jane into drinks at the Marbella, accidentally-on-purpose spilling the beans about Alba stealing her sister's boyfriend. It's 100% obvious she's been targeting Rafael.

I thought Jane's reaction to Catalina and Rafael's possible coupling was understandable. How many women would want their cousin to potentially become their child's stepmother? Ick.

I don't love Scott or Anezka, but I want them to ride off into the sunset together, face tattoo and all.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 1

I don't trust Catalina at all, but part of me understands why Jane is so eager to believe that she's as fun and awesome as she seems. When you are an only child in a very small family, even one as close-knit as the Jane-Xiomara-Alba unit, part of you dreams about what it would be like to have sisters and cousins and a big family. Finding Catalina was really exciting for Jane and then all her stories made her envious of the kind of life she doesn't have, so I get why Jane was temporarily so dazzled that she was blinded.

But I totally support Jane's initial impulse not to want Rafael and Catalina to date. I am friends with several of my ex-boyfriends, but that doesn't mean I would want them to date any of cousins because, as Jane pointed out, if things didn't work out that would put her in the middle of things and potentially be really awkward for her. She knows that Rafael is always going to be in her life because of Mateo, so I think it's perfectly reasonable for her not to want a really uncomfortable wedge like that to come between them. And if Catalina and Rafael have a really terrible breakup, it could be bad enough to make things permanently bad between Rafael and Jane, which would be terrible for Mateo. Like Jane said, there are millions of other women in the world so go date one of them!

I suspect that at least some of the things Catalina has said are exaggerated if not outright lies. That's what con artists do. They tell you what you want to hear. I'm guessing her endgame is landing a rich husband, but I guess time will tell.

Poor Rogelio. He's in a difficult position - he loves Xiomara but he still wants to have a child. You shouldn't have to give up something you love to be with someone you love. In theory, I hope they reconcile some time in the future but realistically I think he could end up resenting her and I don't want to see that.

As weasely as Scott has been, I'm glad he knows that Anezka was the one he was with, not Petra.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, elle said:

Is the editing fx to the title now a hint to fx in the show or was it just this episode (line crossing out last week, bomb explosion this week)?

I think it's a cute way to get rid of "the Virgin" part of the title - and I hope they keep it up.

7 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Everything about her screams professional con artist

Yes. They laid it on pretty thick, so that's my assumption too. As for her not needing Jane to get to Raphael, my take is that it makes it easier because Raphael will have his guard down when it's a relative of his son's mother.

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I don't trust Catalina at all, but part of me understands why Jane is so eager to believe that she's as fun and awesome as she seems.

I have personal experience being suckered by a long lost relative (similar deal, small family, new person seems great). My family was very small too, and I was thrilled to meet someone who had such interesting stories (nothing like Catalina's, slightly more believable). Found out she lied on some very important issues, to her profit, and my parent's loss. So my hackles were up immediately when Catalina started spinning her tales.

Haven't seen the episode. Bruce is played by Ricardo Chavira? LOVE him. I remember the early days of Desperate Housewives. It was clear Chavira was meant to be the somewhat older, slightly gone to seed but very successful husband of a younger spitfire who was running around on him because, face it, she was way too hot for him. Then it turned out he was hilarious and smart, and had great chemistry with Eva Longoria. When I'd tune in, anything he did was always my favorite part of the show.

So much good stuff in this episode:

Catalina just showing up, Michael finding her hot (and trying not to sound to effusive about her to Jane, at least at first);

Mateo sighing when Jane and Rafael are talking about Catalina;

Xo and Ro as teenagers;

Jane hugging her professor (I'm going to hug you, just stand still) LOL

Rogelio's celery on the table;

Jane and Michael's karaoke;

Ro having a "talk" with Rafael about Xo;

And so much I'm forgetting...

Where's Aneska?

I felt bad for Scott. Am I suppose to? And where is that "relationship" between Rafael and Scott going?

Could me in as one who does not trust Catalina. she has a plan. At first I thought it was more than getting together with Rafael. Now, I wonder if she is trying to avenge her mother. Alba "stole" Mateo from her sister, maybe Catalina wants to avenge her abuela and steal Rafael from Jane (although right now he's not really hers)? Sounds weird, but that's where my head went at.

Rogelio broke my heart. Damn you Bruce!

• Love 2

I didn't catch so much that Michael found Catalina hot - in fact, his irritation at her presence was pretty convincing. But objectively, she is, so he knew that would be what Rafael would go for. She's pretty stereotypical so far, fast-talking, been everywhere, can relate to everything, knows about everything - it's way OTT and only someone as young as Jane would be taken in. However, knowing this show, they're not going to go some 100% predictable route with her. I expect her plan will have a twist. The actress playing her is very Finola Hughes. And the character keeps talking to the point you never get to know her. You can't get past the nonstop flow.

They need to step it up with Petra. Her story in this episode didn't make a lot of sense to me.

I know Ricardo Chavira only had a couple of seconds, but is this the same dude that played Eva Longoria's husband? I thought his charisma or charm would be instant, but bleh.

I'm glad they're dealing with Rogelio wanting kids - the sooner he gets a move on, the faster we can get past it. But it still makes no sense whatsoever that he's done nothing about a child through twenty-five years, three marriages, and countless paramours.  But NOW he wants one. Come on, show.

Michael and Jane's new digs look more expensive than their old place. Are we supposed to believe it's cheaper because it's an apartment? Because it's swankier, has more expensive details, better appliances, AND a balcony. Don't tell me an apartment in Miami with a balcony and two bedrooms is a thousand dollars a month.

Edited by DianeDobbler
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, DianeDobbler said:

Michael and Jane's new digs look more expensive than their old place. Are we supposed to believe it's cheaper because it's an apartment? Because it's swankier, has more expensive details, better appliances, AND a balcony. Don't tell me an apartment in Miami with a balcony and two bedrooms is a thousand dollars a month.

I was wondering this, too. It looked quite spacious. For a second, I thought they were back at the hotel.

I knew Catalina was no damn good when she brought arepas to dinner. Who brings a dish to a non-potluck dinner party? Rude. Why didn't she bring some of that awesome wine (eyeroll)?

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, DianeDobbler said:

The apartment is supposed to be a 1-bedroom (the house was 2-bedroom). But I agree that it looked really nice and well appointed. I'm not familiar with the Miami real estate market, but I would also think the rent would be higher than $1000.

I did a google search and in Miami you can get a 1 bedroom for under 1k (just under), but if the place has fresh paint, bricked glass, well appointed kitchen and everything in just renovated condition plus the balcony, the studios start at close to 2k and then it goes up from there. I'm pretty sure they used some of the set from Rogelio's old apartment (remember when he was kidnapped) and/or the layout of the hotel room where the Villenuevas stayed while Abuela's ceiling leak was being repaired. In any event, it was jarring to see it painted in the hotel colors as well. The entire thing was not what you'd expect when a young couple tight on money downsizes. Even though it's meant to be a one bedroom, it "reads" as much more spacious and open than the house they had.

Edited by DianeDobbler
  • Love 1

Hopefully this means that Evil Petra is gone. The resolution of it wasn't fully satisfying, but if it means that she and Rafael will be on the same page again, I'm OK with it. I hope she'll have more interactions with Jane in following episodes, those are always gold. And I wonder how she'll react to Catalina. I'm sensing the possbility of another love triangle in the making.

Speaking of her, Catalina sure is shady as hell, but I'm pretty sure things are not as black and white there and that there's going to be a twist of some kind.

I loved Jane and Michael at the karaoke bar. As well as Xiomara's and Rogelio's dance-offs. And Jane awkwarldy hugging her professor. This show has so many of those little details that just melt your heart. 

• Love 3

I'm so glad Melanie Mayron is continuing as Professor Donaldson. When she was first introduced they were sort of satirizing a feminist scholar (her self-published book on gender), but as she's continued on the show she's more three dimensional. She's been very fair with Jane. Jane always knows where she stands. I liked that we found out she goes to parties, and I liked that Jane hugged her.

I've read a bunch of interviews with Mayron - she's known Gina Rodriguez a long time (Gina would sometimes babysit her kids) and Gina got her on "Jane" as a director. From there the show offered her the Professor.

• Love 4

The new apartment seems nicer than the house, and only slightly smaller and without their own yard. Is someone else secretly subsidizing this? Rogelio? Rafael? Or did they move to a cheaper suburb or are they just suddenly really lucky with finding a place? Also, how did they get unpacked and everything arranged and hung and organized so fast? Did more time pass than it seemed like?

I think Catalina is definitely up to something other than meeting her relatives, but I can't decide yet how nefarious I think she is. The constant name-dropping and mentions of how fabulous she is, combined with the little put-downs by which she totally for sure means no offense, combined with snaking her way into a relationship with someone close to Jane, remind me a lot of a former frienemy of mine. AVOID. Combined with the way she showed up at their home unannounced and readily agreed to stay with them, while they were in the middle of a move no less, I'd say at the very least Cat has no respect for appropriate boundaries, and people who push boundaries are aggravating even if they don't do anything outright illegal or blatantly harmful.

Rogelio's celery diet looks miserable, although the shots of the craft services table were funny. Anyone else think his scene is going to get cut from the film? It was sweet of him to do a fro-yo ad to get Xo a good price on her studio. And I ALWAYS love a dance-off. I also love that these two are the GRANDPARENTS in this show, young grandparents, but still, not The Youths, and yet they get to have these dancing scenes and actually be good at it. 

I didn't even mind the HBO stuff; it was done humorously enough. It cracked me up the way the product rep kept referring to "The Honey Bunch" as though that's an actual place. And at least it was product placement for a cereal that's actually good. It would have been worse if Rogelio had to massacre the otherwise pristine historical accuracy of Tiago for, say, Mary's Gone Crackers (truly the most vile crackers I have ever tasted).

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Enginerd said:

Or did they move to a cheaper suburb

Wasn't there a huge thing last season about a house that was otherwise perfect and well-priced, but it was - horrors! - in a suburb that was 30 minutes away from Alba's house and/or the Marbella, and it was ultimately decided that a 30 minute commute for Jane to see her mom and abuela, and/or for Mateo to see his dad, was out of the question.

Edited by chocolatine
2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

it was ultimately decided that a 30 minute commute for Jane to see her mom and abuela, and/or for Mateo to see his dad, was out of the question.

I'm with the show on that one. It was a little over 30 minutes when Jane and Michael drove there in the middle of the day with little traffic. At rush hour or if there's a wreck, it could take two or three times as long. They both work in the city. The Marbella is in South Beach, which is all the way PAST Miami. So they'd be doing that long commute every day. It adds up to a big chunk of your life spent in the car, plus a lot of gas money. If you have no other option, or if you're determined to have the biggest possible house and yard, of course you do it, but I think it's much better to be closer if you can manage it.

• Love 2

Does anyone here feel that there's something off with Michael and Jane? To me there is just no chemistry and every time they make up after a fight it seems forced somehow. I also felt that in this episode they tried to prove to the fans that Michael is right for Jane and prove everyone who's cheering for Raf wrong...Maybe I just love Raf and Jane too much as a couple but still...

• Love 1
On 26.11.2016. at 3:50 PM, Rafsupporter said:

Does anyone here feel that there's something off with Michael and Jane? To me there is just no chemistry and every time they make up after a fight it seems forced somehow. I also felt that in this episode they tried to prove to the fans that Michael is right for Jane and prove everyone who's cheering for Raf wrong...Maybe I just love Raf and Jane too much as a couple but still...

No. I actually really like it that they're expanding their relationship and instead of portraying it as a fairlytale, they're showing those little things that every couple goes through.

I also feel we're way past the point of the show trying to prove anything about Jane's feelings. 

Edited by Joana
  • Love 8

I really like that Jane and Michael have a relationship with real kinds of arguments and everyday joys. I find it very credible and relatable, and most TV relationships seem like utter bullshit to me.

This show proves over and over again that you can have a lot of melodrama without getting it from within the couples relationships.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 5
On 2/26/2017 at 0:00 PM, AudienceofOne said:

Rogelio is hilarious to a level that is off whatever scale of hilarity exists. So awesome.

right? But yet then JC can break your heart in a hot second. his expressions outside the studio watching Xo and Bruce broke me.

• Love 1