Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: The Aftermath: Part Two

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Zach and Ashley don't appear happy. At all.

A second baby might not be the best idea for these two. 

I didn't hate Jamey Noel.

Monalisa's story continues to bore me.

It was cute when Dion was laughing with Sheri towards the end. I feel like he was thinking 'this crazy old lady is nuts. I dig her!' :)

"Do we get a t-shirt?" Lol.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 8

Zach is an emotionally abuser.  He likes the idea of Ashley having such low self esteem because it makes it easy for him to keep her under his thumb.  He gets to play the "you are so lucky to have me because no one else your sorry fucked up ass" card on her.  He is the worst kind of scumbag because he knows how to project the "I'm a great guy" image out in public.  That's why in season 1 the viewers, myself included, loved him.  His mistake was to have Ashley join the program for season 2.  Their recorded calls exposed Zach for the abusive ass that he actually is.  I hope she finds the strength to take her children and leave him. 

• Love 15

Jeez, they really can't stand that Ryan... fit in? Traded food for food straight across? Didn't want to be a rat while he was still a mole? Sitting there with sour faces towards someone who spent 60 days in your jail and did the best he could just makes them seem so ungrateful. 

I really hope they apologized for the sewer issue and how poorly it was handled, and it was just edited out. 

6 hours ago, Maharincess said:

Was there an Aftermath: Part One that I missed?  The thread title says Part Two. 

No. The last episode was "Bed and Baggage." That had me confused too. I think part 1 aired after season 1 and they called this Part 2 for season2?

• Love 8

This episode must have been heavily edited because I cannot believe some of the things were left out, not the least of which is why no effort was made to get drinking water for the inmates.   I find it hard to believe none of the participants asked about that. 

With regard to Ashleigh and Zac, there are no words except for What.A.Mess! 

Ryan annoyed me, but the way Noel and Maples reacted to him was demeaning.  I understand running a “store” on a credit system could have gone south, but all he was doing was trading things for other things.  What’s the harm? 

Brian really had no choice but to leave.  Once he was called bitch, the only other option was to pick a fight and then have charges brought against him.  This is something that should have been brought up while the participants were training.  I know they were told never to call anyone bitch, but what were they supposed to do if they got called one? 

• Love 10

When your marriage is on the rocks it is always a good idea to conceive another baby. (rolls eyes)  Postpartum depression, sleepless nights, a very young toddler added to the mix and a husband who is an emotionally abusive douche on a good day....what could go wrong?  

I know I should not blame the victim but I can't understand why women in abusive relationships keep have babies with their abusers.  I know abusers often want their partners "barefoot and pregnant" to keep them dependent on them.  It is just another way for the abuser to control their victims.    

• Love 4
9 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

Zach is an emotionally abuser.  He likes the idea of Ashley having such low self esteem because it makes it easy for him to keep her under his thumb.  He gets to play the "you are so lucky to have me because no one else your sorry fucked up ass" card on her.  He is the worst kind of scumbag because he knows how to project the "I'm a great guy" image out in public.  That's why in season 1 the viewers, myself included, loved him.  His mistake was to have Ashley join the program for season 2.  Their recorded calls exposed Zach for the abusive ass that he actually is.  I hope she finds the strength to take her children and leave him. 

I agree.  In season 1, Zach made a comment about Ashleigh having a substance abuse problem, and some wondered if he had her permission for saying that.  I think Zach is one of those men who sees himself as a "white knight" type.  He saved the "poor little addict" and made her his wife.  Wow, what a guy. 

• Love 5

Then Zac had to reveal Asleigh getting him fired and they had to stage  wierd conversation about it. I bet that baby was conceived that first night she returned. 

I have no sympathy, she knows how babies are made <eyeroll>

Oh I meant to add, Sheri looked amazing!! love her with long hair!

23 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

Zach is an emotionally abuser. 

Curious about your insight into this.  I've been in a few shitty relationships but I don't think Zac calling Ashleigh a c***=emotional abuser.  She doesn't speak up for herself, she seems to call him on the phone and he tells her what he's up to because she isn't talking about anything.  He doesn't take into consideration that she's sleep deprived and being influenced by drug use because she never talks to him about anything.  When shit hits the fan, he buys off her affection and she takes all his gifts.  If anything, I think both of these people are socially awkward and have poor impulse control.

On 11/11/2016 at 0:30 AM, woodscommaelle said:

Zach and Ashley don't appear happy. At all.

A second baby might not be the best idea for these two. 

This is a band-aid baby that won't solve anything but will be on the receiving end of "I STAY WITH YOUR FATHER/MOTHER FOR YOU!"  speech.  Got that growing up and told my parents to get divorced when I was 11, but no they were doing it for me and not because they're Catholic and just wanted to rant and give their kids problems, and still married because of taxes despite them hating each other and all the kids being adults.  Thank the Flying Spaghetti monster and his noodly appendages for therapists.

15 hours ago, Fable said:

Ryan annoyed me, but the way Noel and Maples reacted to him was demeaning.  I understand running a “store” on a credit system could have gone south, but all he was doing was trading things for other things.  What’s the harm? 

I think Maples wanted to get into a pissing contest with Ryan.  He willfully submitted himself to jail and sheriff dumbass didn't like him making a viable living for himself.  Truth be told, I'm actually happy about Ryan and him getting in with the prisoners.  He did "win," 60 days in" and that infuriated sheriff dumbass.  People were predicting that he was Robert 2.0 but he proved he just had a loquacious grammar set that he dismissed while trying to fit in. 

• Love 7

I skimmed over the last two episodes.  It was too hard to watch Zac and Ashley.  And no one really learned anything.  The sheriff isn't going to "fix" anything.  Ooh, the male CO's need to get over the girl cooties and investigate feminine hygiene products when they do a shakedown for drugs--let's send in twelve undercover operatives for a revelation of that magnitude.

Drug use, sexual activity/assaults and beatdowns still take place behind unmonitored "privacy curtains." 

What was the point?

I wonder if those new cameras they have now will help.

As for Zac and Ashleigh, it seems that Zac thinks he has no issues, but according to what Ashleigh said, they were together when she was still using.  Interesting.  I think Zac should consider Al-Anon because most men I know wouldn't choose to have a relationship with someone actively using drugs.

11 hours ago, placate said:

I think Maples wanted to get into a pissing contest with Ryan.  He willfully submitted himself to jail and sheriff dumbass didn't like him making a viable living for himself.  Truth be told, I'm actually happy about Ryan and him getting in with the prisoners.  He did "win," 60 days in" and that infuriated sheriff dumbass.  People were predicting that he was Robert 2.0 but he proved he just had a loquacious grammar set that he dismissed while trying to fit in. 

I don't get why Maples was angry with Ryan when Sheri did the same thing; she got in with the inmates to find out where the drugs were coming from.  I think Ryan was curious.  He's an educated guy and he wanted to find out all he could about people he knew nothing about.  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, candall said:

Ooh, the male CO's need to get over the girl cooties and investigate feminine hygiene products when they do a shakedown for drugs--let's send in twelve undercover operatives for a revelation of that magnitude

But here's the thing, there appear to be more than enough female CO's to do that.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, candall said:

Right!  There are so many base fundamental problems with the way this place is run.

Correct, but here's the problem.  The sherif commented about the body scanner that they had to "raise the funds" for it.  It costs money to run a jail; people want more prisons built but no one wants their taxes raised to correct the way these places are run.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, placate said:
On 11/11/2016 at 4:22 AM, movingtargetgal said:

Zach is an emotionally abuser. 

Curious about your insight into this.  I've been in a few shitty relationships but I don't think Zac calling Ashleigh a c***=emotional abuser.  She doesn't speak up for herself, she seems to call him on the phone and he tells her what he's up to because she isn't talking about anything.  He doesn't take into consideration that she's sleep deprived and being influenced by drug use because she never talks to him about anything.  When shit hits the fan, he buys off her affection and she takes all his gifts.  If anything, I think both of these people are socially awkward and have poor impulse control.

All couples argue and words are said in anger.  I called Zach an abuser because of the way he says mean things to his wife.  Even when he is being "nice" to her there is an undercurrent of meanness.  His projects an attitude of "you will always be dirt under my shoe and be grateful that I am with you.".  He talks to her in a tone a parent will use while speaking to a small child when disciplining him.  I can only imagine how he treats his wife when he knows he is not being recorded.  Ashleigh's body language is very different when she is interacting with Zach.  She becomes very closed off ands exudes shame, hurt and anger.  It is obvious that he views himself as being better than she is and that he married beneath him.  He uses this to keep her down and for her to stay in her place.  He says he wants her to get better but he really does not want her to get better.  If she did gain self confidence she would realize she and her children would be better off without him.  

Edited by movingtargetgal
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11
On November 12, 2016 at 4:20 AM, placate said:

My problem with Zac was last season.  When Ashleigh came to visit him in the jail, he commented that she was in recovery.  I thought that was strange; why was it important for us, the audience to know she was in recovery?  She wasn't the one in jail at that time.  I sensed that he mentioned it to show us, the audience what a good guy he, Zac was, marrying this woman in recovery when he himself doesn't have a drug or alcohol problem.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Neurochick said:

My problem with Zac was last season.  When Ashleigh came to visit him in the jail, he commented that she was in recovery.  I thought that was strange; why was it important for us, the audience to know she was in recovery?  She wasn't the one in jail at that time.  I sensed that he mentioned it to show us, the audience what a good guy he, Zac was, marrying this woman in recovery when he himself doesn't have a drug or alcohol problem.

He also used the term "checkered past", which has a negative connotation.  And since they've been together for seven years and she's only clean for four, three of their years together she was using.  What are the odds that he didn't party with her?  Some people can use without becoming addicted.   Which may be part of his superiority issues.  He probably thinks she's "weak" for succumbing to an addiction.  

I think Zac probably knows some people think his wife is a lot hotter than him, and she's a hell of a lot smarter than him.  She could do much better so he keeps reminding her she's lucky to have him.  The antipathy he shows her mother is bizarre.  How does calling to check on her grandson piss him off so much?

I fear Ashleigh's popularity will eclipse his - especially now that he's revealed himself to be an unsympathetic, whining asshole.  I have a feeling he will not be pleased. 

• Love 9
On November 12, 2016 at 4:20 AM, placate said:

But this implies they're in a symbiotic relationship in which Ashleigh happily receives his gifts in exchange for lack of affection.  It looked to me that she was merely polite receiving those gifts.   She wanted to brush her teeth, to which he instructed her she could do that later.  And she wanted to be with her baby, who was acting a little unsure of her.  I'm pretty sure she just wanted the cameras to go away so she could re-bond with her baby.  Zac wanted to play hero on camera.  He had a lot to make up for to his "fans".   I get the impression he relished being the star of season one.  Perhaps it went to his head. 

• Love 6

I'm not defending Zac here completely, because anyone who calls their wife a c**t under any circumstances deserves some flogging. But hear me out for a sec. 

I am a military wife. It's a pretty well known phenomenon before a deployment that the service member and their spouse argue. A lot. About stupid stuff. Because psychologically, it is easier to leave the other person for a long period of time when you are angry at them. It's usually subconscious, but it happens. I have to wonder how much of that was at play between Ashleigh and Zac while this was happening. He went in, then she went in. As a reaction to stress it is a lot easier to be mean and be mad at each other because why would you miss someone who you hate? It isn't usually as overt as it was with these two, but I wonder if that might be the reason for some of their behavior. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

The Zac/Ashleigh footage was some of the most awkward TV I've ever seen. Too much codependency, too much bossiness, too much invasive interviewing. I would have rather talked about the sewer back up drama instead and ventured into the "Why didn't the COs go to Sam's to get a few cases of bottled water for the inmates?" discussion.

It seems like a big justification for this series is the Sheriff trying to get some political backing for more $ for the jail. I think the average voter/taxpayer doesn't want to pour more money into the jail system for "lawbreakers," because they don't know how the system works and what the needs are. It seems like the program isn't just about getting the insider info from the faux inmates, it's educating the public, too. Interesting premise. 

• Love 5

I don't know who decides who goes into which pod (they obviously sort them, but never really said based on what.)  Doesn't make sense to have first time drunk drivers/petty thieves/drunk and disorderlies/shoplifters/drug possessors/traffic ticket warrant people in the same pod as violent criminals (or even people who have been in jail more than twice).  Yes, I know innocent until proven guilty, and most of the lesser crime first offenders just bail out quickly and probably never make the kind of pod we saw, but if it's your fifth trip to the county lockup, maybe you should be with other people who are similarly experienced.  Yes, I understand wanting to send a message so that first time offenders never ever want to come back, but it still seems like there could be a better sort than complete segregation (for people who commit violent offenses in jail OR their victims).  

I was wondering if Ashleigh was pregnant from the moment she sat down - she was so much fuller in the face and her top fit her funny.  And then I thought there wasn't time for it because they filmed this before any of it aired.  Then I realized they shot it last winter and it didn't start airing until what, September?  Sigh.  They're doomed.  Hope she gets away.  I hope the positive attention she gets from the show enables her to see her worth and move on.  Seriously, honey... that's not what love is.  A man who loves you doesn't call you the c word.   What you should have gotten over the phone was "I'm really proud of you.  You're really strong and I know you can do this.  We're fine here and thinking about you and we talk to your picture every day and I show the baby home movies of us and the dogs are fine and ___ did the funniest thing the other day, he ____.  I bought those cookies you like but I'm not going to touch them until you get home and we celebrate."  

I can appreciate the stress and anger that spouses at home must feel towards an incarcerated loved one just calling and wanting to chat when they've likely blown up their family life for some dumbass thing they did.  But that's not the case with Ashleigh and Zac.  There was no reason whatsoever for him to be anything but eager for her to see it out, and do his best to help her achieve it.  Even if their marriage is struggling, he knew he was being recorded!  That truly was the best he could manage!  Not.good.enough.

• Love 11

Did anyone else notice sparks flying between Quintin and MonaLisa? Is he single? I think they would make a cute couple! She certainly seemed into him!

Ashleigh and Zack... I'm starting to wonder if Zack might have some PTSD also? Didn't he dismantle bombs when he was in the army? Basically, he's the Hurt Locker Guy. That would explain his flat affect. And, that's why he has so much trouble connecting to his wife. Jeremy Renner couldn't connect with his wife, either.

I really believe that Zack loves Ashleigh a LOT and vice versa. Moreover, these two have BOTH been through some hardcore sh%t in their lives. That kind of thing can either drive them apart or drive them closer together, depending how they handle it. I could really see these two working things out if they had the right therapist(s).

It's just like when you've been in a car wreck and you break your leg in three places. You've been through some hardcore sh%t, and you need medical care, physical therapy, etc. If you don't take care of that broken leg, nothing else is going to go right in life. You can't work a job dragging your useless leg behind you, taking constant bathroom breaks to scream from the pain. It just won't work.

Same way with psychological/emotional trauma. You've got to get help treating that stuff! Anyone and everyone needs help with it. I think they've got great chemistry and other stuff in common. And, they love their kids dearly. That's motivation right there to resolve some of this stuff because it can be done!

Ryan, they weren't just hazing Brian, they were sexually harassing him. What they were doing was cruel and criminal because they were, uh, CRIMINALS. But YOU WERE NOT.

It wasn't funny.

It wasn't a good cure for boredom.

They should have followed up and put the guys that got naked with him into solitary confinement. Especially that jaded, antisocial bear of a man who targeted him for sport ~ I forgot his name along with the rest of the world.

• Love 6

On second thought, Zach really was an a$$hole! If he's really making her feel that bad about herself all of the time it might be that she needs to break free and start over with the kids.

Sheri looked great. She certainly cleans up good!

All three of the women certainly looked as though they were in a Breck commercial with their hair done up the way it was, but they looked pretty nonetheless. :)

• Love 4

Huh.  That's weird.  To me, Quentin just looked amused by her but not in necessarily a good way, but more like "cute little child, you don't know what you're talking about way" since she interrupted the cop to tell him what it was like for the CO's.  But, maybe that's just me.

• Love 2

Yeah, I can't imagine "I have NO respect for law enforcement" to a cop within moments of meeting him, followed by 2 months of separation, followed by "boy, these guys have such a hard job, I really understand them now!" is going to melt Quintin's heart.

I really do wish we had seen unedited discussion of the flood fiasco.  What did the sheriff know, and when did he know it?  Yes, the guards had to be armed to move inmates all around... but perhaps things might have been a TAD less tense for all involved if the inmates had been given WATER! Or, you know, told that cases of water awaited them in the gym/other pod/wherever they were going.

Geez - we had a water main shut off for several days once and our community made sure that every elderly neighbor was checked and supplied with bottled water to see them through.  But nobody authorized themselves to make a Costco run to supply inmates with water?  Or to call the local Walmart and see if they'd donate it? 

It's really the most egregious thing this show displayed, and for some reason it's written off as "it had never happened before, nothing we could have done differently.  In the future we'll be ready, though." It revealed a complete LACK of leadership, and that had nothing to do with money (I do think local stores would have pitched in, and if they wouldn't, you could call the Red Cross, or the ACLU, or the local media and say the city DPW blew it, and now you have a crisis that you're not authorized to solve because you don't have petty cash to buy $500 worth of water.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, kassa said:

It's really the most egregious thing this show displayed, and for some reason it's written off as "it had never happened before, nothing we could have done differently.  In the future we'll be ready, though." It revealed a complete LACK of leadership, and that had nothing to do with money (I do think local stores would have pitched in, and if they wouldn't, you could call the Red Cross, or the ACLU, or the local media and say the city DPW blew it, and now you have a crisis that you're not authorized to solve because you don't have petty cash to buy $500 worth of water.  

The lack of leadership is the major issue for me.  Yes, this type of emergency had never happened before, however, once the inmates had been relocated it seems like the CO's felt that their job was done.  There was no one in charge who thought to get fresh water to the inmates.  I know there was one water fountain in the rec room, however, if I had been an inmate I would not have trusted that the waterline the fountain was on had not been contaminated and I would not have drunk from it.  Whomever was in charge was negligent.  To expect inmates to go for over 36 hours without access to clean drinking water is a human rights violation.  It was inhumane and set the county up for major lawsuits.  If I were a taxpayer I would have been furious.  This kind of lawsuits can raise property tax rates through the roof.  I know it happened in the town I lived in, our tax rate went up over 25% one year because of an incident with the police.  Also, a competent supervisor would have realized that providing clean drinking would have calmed a lot of the tensions that was building within the rec room.  The disrespect for the inmates' human rights lead to tensions to build rise to powder keg levels.  It did not help matters that some CO's were drinking water and soda in front of the inmates.  Again, a competent supervisor should have been there to give direction to the CO's and to tell them things like "It is not a good idea to be drinking in front of dehydrated inmates.  This behavior will raise tensions and make it a much more dangerous situation for staff and inmates."  A competent supervisor would have known to send someone to Costco to get some water.  He or she should have also bought some favorite commissary type items while at Costco.  Giving out some free honey buns, Snickers Bars and Raman Noodles would have made the inmates happy and bought some goodwill.   

• Love 9
1 hour ago, movingtargetgal said:

The lack of leadership is the major issue for me.  Yes, this type of emergency had never happened before, however, once the inmates had been relocated it seems like the CO's felt that their job was done.  There was no one in charge who thought to get fresh water to the inmates.  I know there was one water fountain in the rec room, however, if I had been an inmate I would not have trusted that the waterline the fountain was on had not been contaminated and I would not have drunk from it.  Whomever was in charge was negligent.  To expect inmates to go for over 36 hours without access to clean drinking water is a human rights violation.  It was inhumane and set the county up for major lawsuits.  If I were a taxpayer I would have been furious.  This kind of lawsuits can raise property tax rates through the roof.  I know it happened in the town I lived in, our tax rate went up over 25% one year because of an incident with the police.  Also, a competent supervisor would have realized that providing clean drinking would have calmed a lot of the tensions that was building within the rec room.  The disrespect for the inmates' human rights lead to tensions to build rise to powder keg levels.  It did not help matters that some CO's were drinking water and soda in front of the inmates.  Again, a competent supervisor should have been there to give direction to the CO's and to tell them things like "It is not a good idea to be drinking in front of dehydrated inmates.  This behavior will raise tensions and make it a much more dangerous situation for staff and inmates."  A competent supervisor would have known to send someone to Costco to get some water.  He or she should have also bought some favorite commissary type items while at Costco.  Giving out some free honey buns, Snickers Bars and Raman Noodles would have made the inmates happy and bought some goodwill.   

All the above. I mentioned on twitter once that I hope they take the footage and use it to train future CO's on what not to do in certain situations. 

• Love 4
On 11/12/2016 at 5:20 PM, placate said:

This is a band-aid baby that won't solve anything but will be on the receiving end of "I STAY WITH YOUR FATHER/MOTHER FOR YOU!"  speech.  Got that growing up and told my parents to get divorced when I was 11, but no they were doing it for me and not because they're Catholic and just wanted to rant and give their kids problems, and still married because of taxes despite them hating each other and all the kids being adults.  Thank the Flying Spaghetti monster and his noodly appendages for therapists.

No way Ryan was a Robert. The floods didn't even phase him.