Type keyword(s) to search

The Lexicon

only1kcm
  • Start Topic

Is anyone keeping a JJ Dictionary list? IIRC, years ago someone had a Judy Judy Lexicon on line.

Anyhow, some words:

bickerment

borrow (as in "I borrowed her the money")

boughten

conversate (but it's now in OED,from what I understand)

fraudulate

tooken

wroten

Edited by Milz
(edited)

Heard this on a re-run case.

Agreeance: (noun) an agreement

pronounciation: "agree-ance".

Usage: "Me and her made an agreeance for the rent."

Edited by Milz

Heard over and over again - "Due to the fact that. . . " as in "I didn't have insurance due to the fact that I had to buy my baby mama a new phone"  - Hello, people, just use the word "BECAUSE". (and the Grammar Nazi says get off my lawn due to the fact that you are using bad English)

• Love 1

What drives me mad is the constant use of  "Proceeded". "I proceeded to run a bath/ he proceeded to throw a lamp at my head/she proceeded to punch me numerous of times, etc.

While watching some old eps today, I heard a good one. "I was in need of upgrading my transportation." =  "I wanted to buy a newer hooptie."

• Love 2

"You haven't let me present my case!" This is grammatically correct, but usually comes after someone has been talking for 15 minutes, and Judge Judy is sick of them and daydreaming of sushi. 

Heard this on a re-run case.

Agreeance: (noun) an agreement

pronounciation: "agree-ance".

Usage: "Me and her made an agreeance for the rent."

I hadn't ever heard "agree-ance" until Sherri Shepherd and Jenny McCarthy used it this week on The View. So they got the word from plaintiffs and defendants on JJ -- interesting. 

Oh for craps sake!  If it's an image of something it's PICTURE, not a PITCHER!  Middle aged woman on rerun today kept wanting to show JJ "pitchers of her car", "pitchers of her street".  Unless you are under the age of five, get it f-ing right.  It's like nails on a chalkboard.

Also, the other day someone used that other jewel- "supposaBly".

(edited)

A new one for the lexicon! "Passengers-by" -- as uttered by the defendant in the San Francisco Baby Sling Chihuahua case.

"I always keep my dog from interfering with the passengers-by on the sidewalk." Obviously it didn't work that day.

You guys might not be as old as I am, but these three litigants reminded me of Peter, Paul and Mary, with dogs instead of guitars.

(edited because I can't spell "chihuahua"!)

Edited by Intocats
  • Love 1

Today's plaintiff "visualized" someone hitting a dog with an umbrella as opposed to "seeing" it. The two are not the same, and it's too bad this otherwise reasonably intelligent woman felt the need to go with the big, incorrect word as opposed to the simple, appropriate word. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Just as good was "their campers were subsequent to that car". I don't think that someone who uses fancy sounding words when they don't know what they mean is necessarily intelligent or educated, my experience has been the opposite. Plus I was surprised that JJ let her get away several times with responding to direct questions with completely non responsive answers consisting of totally irrelevant statements. Finally, she sure sounded to me like she was reciting a memorised script, which would explain the non responsive answers.

Edited by DoctorK
(edited)

The whole Proceeded to.... bugs me to know no end. I was helping someone get together a manuscipt and she abused it to, so much I quit! Real people do not tell a personal story like that.

Moving on to coversate... Apollo from The Real Housewives of Atlanta uses that as well. As a matter of fact, I'd Flove if Judge Judy would conduct all those reunions! Can you imagine?!      

Edited by FairyDusted
  • Love 2

I heard a new one today.  A woman was suing a driver for hitting her teenaged daughter while the daughter was jaywalking.  The mother said in the hallterview that her daughter had suffered a "head collision."

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh my, from today's case with the missing car title and the large defendant with blonde and blue hair:

he knew full headedly ...

apparently meaning ahead of time?

P.S. Milz - the car was treated for minor injuries and released.

Edited by DoctorK
  • Love 2

Can we have a thread for some of the favorite things that Judge Judy says?

Here you go.  By the way, you guys are free to start topics you don't have to wait for me.  But, if you need help, PM or ping me.

When I gave my loser boyfriend the money, it was under the understanding that he would pay me back once he got his taxes.

Actually, to be correct in the JJ universe, the sentence should read "WHENEVER I gave (or borrowed!) my loser boyfriend the money..."

• Love 2
(edited)

"Being that fact that". . . or "due to the fact that"  (instead of because)

As in "Being the fact that I had no driver's license my cousin put the car in her name"

then there's always the "I spoke to her verbally" (as opposed to telepathically?!?!)

And I cannot remember if it was JJ or People's Court - "slumplord" (as in "That guy is a slumplord because he got mad because I didn't pay rent due to the fact that the house was filled with roaches/ rats/ mice/ garbage/ no water/ no heat/ stains on the carpet my kids made with magic markers and kool aid")

Edited by ItsHelloPattiagain