Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

AM Joy

Admittedly I've been getting a little tired of am Joy the last couple of months. It didn't seem as good as it had been initially. It became more like  the  quick-hit topic  shows  with  four to six panelists who each only speak remotely for a minute or so. Today's show was much better than it has been recently. She's spent more time with the guests. This show was informative. Most guests were on the set with her. MSNBC shows really overuse bringing in people via webcams and splitting the screen into panels to show them all at the same time.

I also agree with previous comments about cutting off people who use diversion and talk over other guests even after they have had their say without being interrupted. Joy has always done a really good job of handling those type of guests.

• Like 1

Loved seeing Luis Miranda as the lifelong activist that he is instead of just as the proud papa of Lin-Manuel. He worked in the Ed Koch administration.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Like 1

Capehart is hosting both Joy's and Rev Al's shows on Saturday and Sunday because they are hosting the coverage of the Global Citizens event.

• Like 1

I let out a weird laugh that scared my cat a bit ago when Joy started laughing about her producer making a joke about McConnell coming out of his shell in her ear.

• Like 1

Just watching Joy's interview with Nancy Pelosi.  One comment:  her lipstick color was tragic!!!  It looked fluorescent from some angles.  Other than that, I'm enjoying the interview.

I've always like Joy Reid, but I'd have more respect for her if she had brought up her own past embarrassing postings (which she tried to deny, similar to Northam) in relation to the Ralph Northam affair. Since we have a plethora of right-wing media to pile on Northam, Democrats don't really need to (I'm reminded of the Al Franken incident with Democrats competing to be the most outraged).

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/28/joy-reid-apology-lgbt-blog-posts-559178

• Like 4

For the first time I was REALLY underwhelmed. 20 full minutes on Northam to start, with everybody sharing the same opinion... then 15 minutes on the democratic race (it's all speculation, can we talk about actual news please).... then later 15 more minutes on "media" which was just more on Northam?

Really uninteresting.

Sometimes I think when there is race involved Joy loses perspective. I don't think there's really all that much to talk about re Northam. I don't want to watch anyone defending him, but I also don't need 35 minutes piling on.

silent in Venezuela...

Edited by lucindabelle
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

I don't want to watch anyone defending him,

I wouldn't mind seeing that.  He did something stupid 30 years ago.  He originally apologized, but everyone piled on anyway.  Then he gave that second press conference (which didn't help him any and made matters worse-though it didn't matter because everyone was already saying he was a dead man walking).  For me the issue is that if you do something stupid years ago, does it not matter everything you've done since? (Unlike Steve King, who Northam was unfairly compared to, who is saying this stuff now.)  If that's the case, almost everybody is a target.  As with Joy Reid, the response should be to admit you were wrong, apologize (not a fake "I apologize that you were upset" apology), and say you are not that person now. 

• Like 4

Actually, you're right, it would be kind of fun to see somebody try. The one person who did try sounded like an idiot too. Northam did actually say it was wrong. But he never should have said it was him and then tried to take it back.

Honestly, the media is giving this waaaaaaaaay too much time. Joy spent three times as long on this as she did on the issue of thousands of kids still separated, probably forever, from their parents. I want to tune in and hear about the things that are NOT being covered extensively on Twitter: you know, the new EPA people, things like that.

Northam will resign, or he won't. In the grand scheme of things it's not all that important. I can't recall ever having to fast forward through that many segments before.

Yeah I thought that too. He claims he never saw the yearbook which is weird. Maybe yearbook editors select & they thought it was him because of his michael Jackson act?

either way I am soooooooo tired of hearing about it. Come on in the grand scheme of things this Ian trivia. Let’s hear about the EPA, the world bank, venezuela.

• Like 1

I read an article that said it had three sources saying that yearbook photos were submitted exclusively by the person whose page it is, not by the editors.

Edited by possibilities

3 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Good article.

And yes, it's insane how they are weaponizing and our response to it. I don't think it's NORTHAM smearing Fairfax right now. GOP will keep smearing down the line until they can get one of their own in power. Enough, already.

• Like 1

Posts here should reflect actual AM Joy content, which shouldn't be used as a springboard to related articles (unless Joy quotes or is mentioned in them) and political discussion in general.  

When I first started to watch this show, Joy on Saturday seemed to cover what had been covered during the week, and then on Sunday different stories were covered or there was more in depth segments with new information.  Lately, Sunday also seemed to be more repetitive. 

Yesterday, there was more variety like my perception of the past. I really enjoyed it and hope it continues.

• Like 2

Midwin Charles, stop mispronouncing Karine Jean-Pierre’s name like Jean as if it was American.  Especially since you then shout out your Haitian heritage.  So you should know it’s the French pronunciation!

• Like 2

Question: Is Joy Reid on speed? I've not noticed it before but she talks so fast. Has she always spoken so fast? Is this perhaps the result of jet lag from her recent trip to London? Is she aiming to become the fasting talking woman on the planet like that guy from the 90's FedEx commercial? It's annoying and it bothers/hurts my ears! I can hardly follow the topics she's addressing. She's gonna have a vocal cord heart attack.

Edited by little hermit
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

She and Chris Hayes both talk very fast. I think they are both great, but I do think they are trying to get too many words per minute into their broadcasts sometimes. I take it as enthusiasm, but still-- I have to concentrate really hard to keep up.

• Like 1

Now that you mention it, possibilities, Chris does get on a verbal roll but I don't think it's quite as bad as Joy. I don't watch Joy as much as I do Chris (almost every weeknight). Maybe I just haven't watched her enough but, when I was watching today I really noticed it and it bothered me to the point that I had to change the channel. I can't watch Steve Kornaki (or however you spell his name) the wild eyes, the rapid-fire speech and the lunging and waving around his arms... when I'm watching a show and they say he's coming up (especially at the BIG BOARD) I change the channel right then and there!

• Like 2