Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

I'm a little late to the party but I have to chime in on the "diffuser lady" case. Am I the only one who thought, when I saw the plaintiff, that she was there to sue the hair stylist who ruined her hair?

• Love 8
On 6/16/2018 at 3:14 PM, AngelaHunter said:

That could be an appropriate comment for a lot of situations. *Adds to list, above 'janky-ass.*

I think I will start using the term "janky-ass" after each statement I make. Such as "I would like an Egg McMuffin and a large Diet Coke, JANKY ASS" or "pass me that bottle of ketchup JANKY ASS". 

Today at work I was passing through a hallway and saw a woman trying to make an appointment. She was very tall and very large and had on a short olive green romper barely covering her ample bootay (not picking on the full figured as I am one myself). But it was the black lacy pantyhose and the Nike soccer sandals that got me, as well as the hair that looked like a large colorful parrot was sitting on top of her head. And my first thought was "wow, those Judge Judy litigants really do walk among us". 

• Love 16
21 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

And my first thought was "wow, those Judge Judy litigants really do walk among us". 

Check out "The People of Walmart" on YT. I never knew these people could really exist on this planet, but they do.

• Love 5
(edited)

In yesterday's case of the young entrepreneurs, when she recognized their industriousness and initiative how painful it must have been for JJ to have to say positive things about two young males. Aren't specimens of that gender supposed not to be quite cooked yet at that age, as she often says?

She did get to compensate for that frustration later with her repeated shouted "Next!!" as she arbitrarily dismissed parts of the plaintiff's case. And of course she had her little opening salvo when she challenged the litigant for drinking water at that point and stopped proceedings untlil he finished. Not only did it serve to establish her position as the bullying alpha in the room, it is also a frequent implication of hers that a dry mouth equals a lying litigant. The efficiency of that approach having of course been established by so many rigorous double-blind scientific experiments.

Unless she is concerned about the water shortage in California and is worried that if the show exceeds their water allocation, it will come out of her salary.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Florinaldo said:

Unless she is concerned about the water shortage in California and is worried that if the show exceeds their water allocation, it will come out of her salary.

Thank you so much for this.  I had a good laugh.

But can you imagine a scene where Judge Judy says "no more water until you answer the question....janky ass!!   And ever faithful Byrd muttering under his breath "Boom goes the dynamite".

They'd have to hire a U-Haul to get the daytime emmys home.

I nearly got an aneurysm listening to JJ spending numerous amounts of time trying to talk some sense and explain the law to that dopey, moon-faced girl who squirts out a kid at 17 with her dopey, Goofy boyfriend and thinks she has sole ownership of the poor, unfortunate child who has two dumb babies for parents - she doesn't work and sponges off that equally dumb, looney-tunes broad who came with her, since even her own parents couldn't stand her anymore and kicked her lazy, useless ass out. The Mommy-child and the Daddy-child fight over the baby the way other kids their age fight over play stations. "Gimme!" "Mine!" "No, mine!" All the time JJ spent on her, explaining and educating her was for nothing, and not    one    single   word penetrated her thick, stupid head. But everyone has the right to have as many kids as they feel like having, even if they are incapable of caring for or supporting them. The babies? No rights at all.

• Love 13
24 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

numerous amounts of time

This just killed me.  What a moronic dipshit Ms Baby-owner is.  Worked two whole weeks of her life!  Boyfriend was marginally more responsible, works regular jobs, really WANTED his son!

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Boyfriend was marginally more responsible, works regular jobs, really WANTED his son!

Yes, he did seem like the most responsible of the two and to be even eager to perform his fatherly duties, even if not in the most mature and well-reasoned manner; the floppy sack of stupid incomprehension that was suing him on the other hand came across as a curse on the poor child. This was a repeat; I had forgotten the specifics of the case but I did remember his oversize shirt collar.

• Love 4

Did dopey moon face girl remind any one else of Nicole from 90 Day Fiancé? 

Much like Nicole and her smug smile, dopey moon face girl and her never ending “can I say something?”, made me want to punch her in the face.

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, iwasish said:

her never ending “can I say something?”, made me want to punch her in the face.

Especially considering each time, what she had to say got increasingly stupid. The even-bigger-MoonFace she brought with her is twice her age but just as dumb. That girl will be sucking up other peoples' resources for the rest of her life.

; the floppy sack of stupid incomprehension

<snicker>

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

Why do they even put out water and cups if JJ is going to have a temper tantrum every time someone uses them? It's entrapment!

It makes JJ seem really dumb when she dismisses anything she doesn't understand as unimportant. Hey JJ, you get almost 50 million a year. Take 10 minutes and research what social media is. If she doesn't want to do that, she shouldn't take on any cases concerning technology created in the last 20 years.

• Love 7

I remember the moon faced baby owner from the first time I watched this. And, I fumed again. That stupid MORON should be thanking her lucky stars to have a father who wants to be involved in his child's life. In hope he was able to afford representation and got 50% custody of that child. Or, better yet, primary custody with her having the standard every other weekend. Even though I'm sure it didn't penetrate her empty head, I loved JJ schooling her on the facts. Just because she delivered the child, she doesn't have any more rights than his dad. 

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, lovesnark said:

I remember the moon faced baby owner from the first time I watched this. And, I fumed again. That stupid MORON should be thanking her lucky stars to have a father who wants to be involved in his child's life. In hope he was able to afford representation and got 50% custody of that child. Or, better yet, primary custody with her having the standard every other weekend. Even though I'm sure it didn't penetrate her empty head, I loved JJ schooling her on the facts. Just because she delivered the child, she doesn't have any more rights than his dad. 

“Oh I don’t have a piece of paper”

” I breastfeed, a little, at night, to help him sleep”

”he punched the bed”

love how JJ just knows her attorney fed her exactly what to say to try and justify her actions. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, lovesnark said:

Or, better yet, primary custody with her having the standard every other weekend.

Yeah, and she can pay child support. Hahahahahahhaa! Oh, sorry. No way she's letting that kid go anywhere, because then someone might think she needs to get off her well-rounded buttocks and get a J-O-B.  I guess they can share custody as long as they have some grownups around to supervise and make sure no one breaks the baby or leaves it on the floor or a table while they update their FB status, chat with their moronic friends or play video games.

1 hour ago, iwasish said:

” I breastfeed, a little, at night, to help him sleep”

Are her breasts like beer kegs, with taps? What happens to all that overflowing milk the other 23 hours and fifty minutes each day? Maybe her lawyer is the same one another litigant had - a "public pretender."

• Love 8
9 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Yeah, and she can pay child support. Hahahahahahhaa! Oh, sorry. No way she's letting that kid go anywhere, because then someone might think she needs to get off her well-rounded buttocks and get a J-O-B.  I guess they can share custody as long as they have some grownups around to supervise and make sure no one breaks the baby or leaves it on the floor or a table while they update their FB status, chat with their moronic friends or play video games.

Are her breasts like beer kegs, with taps? What happens to all that overflowing milk the other 23 hours and fifty minutes each day? Maybe her lawyer is the same one another litigant had - a "public pretender."

The breast feeding bs is used by lots of women who don’t want to give visitation to the fathers. Nicole Curtis from Rehab Addict continued breast feeding so she could  argue that her baby daddy couldn’t take the child overnight, she also wanted to travel WITH the kid and the baby daddy if he was granted overnight visitation. That child was well over a year old. 

The judge was not amused with her, and I think  she was nearly charged with contempt.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, iwasish said:

The breast feeding bs is used by lots of women who don’t want to give visitation to the fathers.

Isn't it possible to store breast milk in the fridge in expectation of the father's visitations and give it to him? It does not keep long as I recall from my sister's pregnancies, but it is an option.

I am sure the father, although he won the case on JJ, will have to face a lifetime of annoyance from that hag (and members of her support gaggle like the one she brought to court) as she comes up with an unending series of excuses and schemes to make it difficult for him to parent their child.

• Love 5
(edited)

I am sure the father, although he won the case on JJ, will have to face a lifetime of annoyance from that hag (and members of her support gaggle like the one she brought to court) as she comes up with an unending series of excuses and schemes to make it difficult for him to parent their child.

He really should go back to court and file for permanent physical custody, and use this episode as evidence for the judge.  She lied her ass off during the whole case!  Someone that vindictive should not be allowed primary custody.

ETA: I believe the whole night time breastfeeding bit was a lie, too.

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 4

Okay, so I'm perpetually playing catch-up.

Today I saw Alfreda Stone vs. Ackingna Fulks, two adult women battling on FB. Alfreda posted pictures of Ackingna's daughter having sex with another "female" because apparently the daughter feels it relevant to memorialize her bedroom activities. Ackingna said mean things to Alfreda's 24-year old single baby momma daughter at some grocery story. Ackingna also made nasty remarks about one of Alfreds's brother's baby mommas! The battle is on! Of course it is. Who could be expected to not retaliate against such grave sins committed against them?

Ackingna is dressed in a transparent top, which clearly shows her bra and titty tat.

I lasted until we saw the "texes" or maybe it was a FB message:

"She don't no shit about 1st I wasn't in the Fan Zone fighting nor was I in their when the fight took place and Winnie man who was their no I wasn't in fighting their too."

I was out. I need to drink more wine before watching this stuff. I don't care how much money JJ makes. She earns it by listening to this godawful, illiterate, brain dead fucking stupidity.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Today I saw Alfreda Stone vs. Ackingna Fulks, two adult women battling on FB. Alfreda posted pictures of Ackingna's daughter having sex with another "female" because apparently the daughter feels it relevant to memorialize her bedroom activities. Ackingna said mean things to Alfreda's 24-year old single baby momma daughter at some grocery story. Ackingna also made nasty remarks about one of Alfreds's brother's baby mommas! The battle is on! Of course it is. Who could be expected to not retaliate against such grave sins committed against them?

Ackingna is dressed in a transparent top, which clearly shows her bra and titty tat.

"She don't no shit about 1st I wasn't in the Fan Zone fighting nor was I in their when the fight took place and Winnie man who was their no I wasn't in fighting their too."

I was out. I need to drink more wine before watching this stuff. I don't care how much money JJ makes. She earns it by listening to this godawful, illiterate, brain dead fucking stupidity.

There’s a show on A&E, Friday night and Saturday night called Live PD, they follow 5/6 County Police, Sheriffs Offices on their patrols. Listening to the folks they encounter makes me weep for the future.  They can make JJs litigants sound like Rhodes Scholars.

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, iwasish said:

There’s a show on A&E, Friday night and Saturday night called Live PD, they follow 5/6 County Police, Sheriffs Offices on their patrols.

Oh, no. Not for me. I made the mistake of once watching one of these reality cop shows (Bait Car, maybe??) and saw someone sitting in a car he just stole, denying he had done anything wrong, that he stole the car to help the owner who might have gotten a ticket otherwise. That was the first and last such show I watched.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

(Bait Car, maybe??

I like these shows, but avoid overdosing. On one of them (maybe bait car?) the funniest part had cops watching an unlocked bait car from another building. A guy walked by the car, came back and looked closer at it, saw that the keys were in it. The cops were getting all excited: "he's looking in!  Now he's on his cell, calling his buddy so they can go joy riding! "wait, we'll grab him as soon as he gets in and starts the car!". A brief pause, then the cop's radio comes on, the guy at the car had called 911 to tell the cops that this car was sitting in a bad neighborhood with the keys in it and someone was probably going to steal if they didn't come by and check it out. Long silence from the cops, a sigh of disappointmnet, then a lot of laughter. Both cops said that this had never happened to them before. There are light moments in most of these shows, as with JJ and JM, and we see that not everybody is illiterate and scummy.

Edited by DoctorK
spelling
  • Love 11
(edited)

But can you imagine a scene where Judge Judy says "no more water until you answer the question....janky ass!!   And ever faithful Byrd muttering under his breath "Boom goes the dynamite".

They'd have to hire a U-Haul to get the daytime emmys home.

PsychoKlown, I'm wiping my eyes as I'm crying with laughter. 

The whole water thing is certainly her alpha personality. She reminds me of a very feisty chihuahua that pees on things to convey "Quien es mas macho?" ( in the words of Judge Milian). I imagine as a young woman lawyer, then judge that worked in the NYC family court, she was having to assert her authority in a big way in order to scare those litigants straight (or straighter, depending on the case). 

Florinaldo - breast milk can be kept in the fridge and also frozen after the mom pumps it. My daughter works full time at night as a nurse and pumps milk for her baby - and we just thaw it and give it to the baby in a bottle.  I suspect the BF tactic was a smokescreen. Moony faced Mama was really pissing me off - her child actually had a baby daddy who was trying to be a parent. 

I LOVED LOVED today's case involving the fence removal where the defendant won a single dollar for being tapped a little too hard on the back by the plaintiff. She obviously wasn't hurt but she wanted to send a message to her neighbor and JJ obliged (it was also nice that she wasn't suing for pain and suffering and punitive damages because she was tapped on the back). 

AngelaHunter, I also LOVE Live PD! My favorites are the ones with crack in their pockets and they are saying "I Didunt Do Nothinnn!"  No, numbnuts, the Crack Fairy just came flying along and unloaded into YOUR pockets. 

Edited by ItsHelloPattiagain
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

he fence removal where the defendant won a single dollar for being tapped a little too hard on the back by the plaintiff.

I loved that, that was a victory for principle. I hated the plaintiff, even in the hallterview she said that people neeed to learn to not go onto their neighbor's property to take down a fence. Wait a damn minute, the defendants did not go on to the plaintiff's property, they took down fence that was illegally installed on their own property. So plaintiff still remains clueless.

• Love 14

The rerun of the idiot roommate made me laugh again. He's being catfished by someone online and sends the rent money his roommates give him to his online love instead of paying the rent. Roommates have no idea and are rather shocked to find out they're about to be evicted.Female roommate pays all the back rent and sues the moron for the rent money she paid. Dumbass says in the hallterview that he still believes he's going to get his money back from the catfish. It will never cease to amaze me that grown men and women are stupid enough to "fall in love" with some words on their computer screen and send whatever scammer typing those words thousands of dollars.

• Love 9

I really need to watch the hallterviews more often. If the guillible big Goof, Bradely Bates, was a rerun I never saw it. I thought he was just your run-of-the-mill stupid fuckup who couldn't keep a job or look after his finances, but in the hall we find out he's way more of a loser than I'd dreamed. He's sending thousands of dollars, including the money he stole from plaintiffs, to a Nigerian or Russian love scammer and he's still doing it. I know these people are called "victims" but I've never seen it that way. I get those emails all the time, giving me the place to send the money by Western Union, but - gee, I've never done it. As Ms.Scheller said in the hall, "Don't send money to people online you've never even MET." This message is broadcast far and wide, over and over, but some people like ol' Bradley are just too dumb to figure it out. Hey Brad? Send as much as you like to scammers who are laughing at their heads off at you, but do it on your own dime, you dimwit.

BTW, I have a Russian love scammer I'm corresponding with. If you're really bored it's kind of fun to play with these lowlifes and send them on fruitless trips to Western Union.

OMG, I finally saw the Aroma Therapy maniac. You people were so right. She's a total nut, who called the police over a diffuser and looked as though she scalped a Shetland pony and stuck the mane on her head. I felt terribly bad for the defendant who has a life-threatening illness but cannot understand someone in those circumstances inviting looney strangers to move in with her and her husband. Really, anyone - healthy or ill -  doing that is lucky if they get away with just having some kooky, diffuser loon living with them. Could be a lot worse.

• Love 7

The fence case today was awesome. All the plaintiff was missing was the Kate Gosselin "I want to speak with your manager" haircut. She wasn't above performing theatrics while the husband defendant was testifying, as if everything he said was a vicious lie. And even if it was, as JJ said, IT DOESN'T MATTER! Don't build a fence on someone else's property! And agreed, the suing for $1 over the "assault" was amazing. That sent a message loud and clear. Love it.

The second case was also a bit more interesting than our usual "it was a loan/it was a gift" fare. So the plaintiff has this amazing medical invention, but still has to sell real estate? And the defendant was going to fly to three different cities that were in different regions of the country to film for this video he was only making $3700 on? Fascinating.

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

I am also taking some eggs to egg that horrible plaintiff's house in the same case!

She was put-together and spoke well, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who HATED her, like, really hated her. That smirk, that attitude, "Well, sure! I just put up a fence but couldn't be bothered finding out where my property line is first!" Personally, I wouldn't kick up a stink over 9" - 1' of my yard, but that doesn't change the fact that the plaintiff is a smug, nasty bitch who sat on her butt and did nothing for 5 months after she was notified she needed to move her damned fence. I wonder if she ever watched any YT vids about those "flipped" houses and the crappy, cheap way they're often renovated and not nearly up to code. Good luck to her and her niece.

• Love 6

In the fence dispute case, I found both parties off-putting. Plaintiff should have been more diligent in making sure she was not violating the property line while planning the fence and when the mistake was revealed, she should have proposed a timeline for correcting the situation, including the time necessary to get a surveyor to come by (the good ones can be very busy at some times of the year). The smirky defendants looked so smug that I could not help thinking that they deliberately contributed to things going downhill, enjoying the resulting mayhem. They seemed especially self-satisfied at coming out looking like the poor mistreated party in this affair; there's few things more loathsome than self-righteous thugs working under the cover of victimhood. I would not be surprised to learn that the plaintiff's version of her conversation with the wife was correct and that she was indeed told off.

As for the video-making case, we have another example of a customer (female again, like on People's Court today) expecting high-rent results at bargain-basement prices. That may work in some clearance outlets, but not in video production; you get exactly what you pay for. Delusions rarely pay off in that field.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

PsychoKlown, I'm wiping my eyes as I'm crying with laughter. 

The whole water thing is certainly her alpha personality. She reminds me of a very feisty chihuahua that pees on things to convey "Quien es mas macho?" ( in the words of Judge Milian). I imagine as a young woman lawyer, then judge that worked in the NYC family court, she was having to assert her authority in a big way in order to scare those litigants straight (or straighter, depending on the case). 

Florinaldo - breast milk can be kept in the fridge and also frozen after the mom pumps it. My daughter works full time at night as a nurse and pumps milk for her baby - and we just thaw it and give it to the baby in a bottle.  I suspect the BF tactic was a smokescreen. Moony faced Mama was really pissing me off - her child actually had a baby daddy who was trying to be a parent. 

I LOVED LOVED today's case involving the fence removal where the defendant won a single dollar for being tapped a little too hard on the back by the plaintiff. She obviously wasn't hurt but she wanted to send a message to her neighbor and JJ obliged (it was also nice that she wasn't suing for pain and suffering and punitive damages because she was tapped on the back). 

AngelaHunter, I also LOVE Live PD! My favorites are the ones with crack in their pockets and they are saying "I Didunt Do Nothinnn!"  No, numbnuts, the Crack Fairy just came flying along and unloaded into YOUR pockets. 

I love when they toss something out of the car during a chase and some viewer calls in and rats them out, “ Hey, the passenger just tossed something out the car window in front of the gas station”

• Love 5
6 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Personally, I wouldn't kick up a stink over 9" - 1' of my yard,

That sort of thing can be important if you do any remodeling where there are laws about how close it can be to the property line. I had a friend who had a fence in his backyard, and behind that was a row of trees. The actual property line was the row of trees - they'd grown up from the sticks that had made up the original fence. So to nosy busybody neighbors it looked like his extension violated the rules, but the surveyor report proved otherwise.

• Love 3

I don't watch all episodes - but I'm always surprised that so many people pay for stuff in cash.  I don't even carry cash anymore.  They show a bank statement that money was withdrawn but that doesn't mean anything.  

• Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, Jamoche said:

That sort of thing can be important if you do any remodeling where there are laws about how close it can be to the property line.

And as JJ indicated, the legal principle of "adverse possession" is involved. If you let someone use part of your property for some length of time (which varies according to jurisdiction) without objecting, it can becomes theirs. A few inches is indeed a small amount of land to throw a fit over like the defendants did, especially since it was not established that the encroachment caused them any real hardship like the type you describe. But they came across as so small-minded and pleased with finding a reason to cause a stink that a micron would probably have been enough for them to act against their neighbour, just for spite. On the other hand, the plaintiff was negligent in not making sure beforehand where exactly the property line was; that is exactly the kind of decision that can cost you dearly in some cases of disputed frences or tree planting over long and wide distances. She made herself legally vulnerable to the vexatiously territorial defendants.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I wish there was a "peeing my pants laughing" button I could click!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

The smirky defendants looked so smug that I could not help thinking that they deliberately contributed to things going downhill, enjoying the resulting mayhem.

I was kind of shocked when the wife said after the plaintiff poked her or hit her or whatever on her back, she turned around to "swing" and that she was so out of control her hubby and kids had to grab her and carry her into the house. I will never understand women getting into fistfights. Never.

5 hours ago, Jamoche said:

That sort of thing can be important if you do any remodeling where there are laws about how close it can be to the property line.

This is true. You have to protect yourself against the busybodies who have nothing better to do than look for something about which to bitch.

11 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

but I'm always surprised that so many people pay for stuff in cash. 

... and keep thousands of dollars in cash in their homes in underwear drawers, and when they pay large sums in cash, they don't even get receipts. "He/she didn't give me one."

Most of them can't have credit cards or bank accounts because they have to hide what money they have.

10 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

That lady flipper scammer also pissed me off as well as her flunky "I had to get in his face to because I sensed her distress!" contractor.

Yes, the goofy-looking Sir Galahad to the rescue, and that woman? I think nothing less than an apocalypse could distress her. Everyone is a big-time operator in the house-flipping business. I think they watch too much TV.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Jamoche said:

This happened to my ex-husband and me years ago in our first house. The neighbor was a cranky old man who apparently walked all over the former owners of our house. After several months of politely telling cranky neighbor to stop mowing 10 feet into our lawn, my husband finally got the survey from the purchase and staked out the property line so he could clearly see it. Cranky neighbor felt since he had always mowed that area that he could now claim it as his. Thankfully our code enforcement officer was able to convince him that old owners may have permitted it, but new owners now say stop it so he better. He then poured gasoline on 3 rose bushes that were growing in that area. Can't prove it but since there were other retaliatory actions for other issues later on, (shoving our garden hose into the ground next to our foundation and turning the spigot on full blast, throwing dog poop over his fence into our yard, etc.), that we could prove, we're pretty sure he also killed the rose bushes.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

All I could think about the 17 YO parents was, that kid isn't going to be a Mensa member. 

I agree bad things.

I'm no psychic but I imagine the child will look like Rita Glossner'*s youngest at 5 years of age - runny nose, droopy old diaper, no pants and cowboy boots.

*For those not familiar with The Middle, Rita Glossner (played brilliantly by Brooke Shields) is the Heck's trashy neighbor...."I don't know how long I'm gonna be here.  I might be pregnant by a NBA player". 

13 hours ago, augmentedfourth said:

The second case was also a bit more interesting than our usual "it was a loan/it was a gift" fare. So the plaintiff has this amazing medical invention, but still has to sell real estate? And the defendant was going to fly to three different cities that were in different regions of the country to film for this video he was only making $3700 on? Fascinating.

I got the impression that the defendant was impressed with her device and was trying to help her out because she was sinking a lot of money in to patents, etc.  If he really believed in her product, he might be willing to cut his costs down to help her.

And as JJ indicated, the legal principle of "adverse posession" is involved. If you let someone use part of your property for some length of time (which varies according to jurisdiction) without objecting, it can becomes theirs. A few inches is indeed a small amount of land to throw a fit over like the defendants did, especially since it was not established that the encroachment caused them any real hardship like the type you describe. But they came across as so small-minded and pleased with finding a reason to cause a stink that a micron would probably have been enough for them to act against their neighbour, just for spite. On the other hand, the plaintiff was negligent in not making sure beforehand where exactly the property line was; that is exactly the kind of decision that can cost you dearly in some cases of disputed frences or tree planting over long and wide distances. She made herself legally vulnerable to the vexatiously territorial defendants.

47 minutes ago, GoodieGirl said:

This happened to my ex-husband and me years ago in our first house. The neighbor was a cranky old man who apparently walked all over the former owners of our house. After several months of politely telling cranky neighbor to stop mowing 10 feet into our lawn, my husband finally got the survey from the purchase and staked out the property line so he could clearly see it. Cranky neighbor felt since he had always mowed that area that he could now claim it as his. Thankfully our code enforcement officer was able to convince him that old owners may have permitted it, but new owners now say stop it so he better. He then poured gasoline on 3 rose bushes that were growing in that area. Can't prove it but since there were other retaliatory actions for other issues later on, (shoving our garden hose into the ground next to our foundation and turning the spigot on full blast, throwing dog poop over his fence into our yard, etc.), that we could prove, we're pretty sure he also killed the rose bushes.

Happened to my parents.  Their one neighbor moved in about 10 years after they did (they were surrounded by empty land).  Their property is up against woods, and their line runs a few feet back in the woods.  The neighbor got a half of a trailer from a tractor and wanted to plop it down and use it for storage, but he didn't have the room without bumping on to my parents property.  So he started mowing their grass, clearing out some of the debris in the woods, etc.  My dad kept telling him to stop, and he kept doing it.  Finally, he brought in that half trailer and plopped it down on my parent's property.  They threatened to get a lawyer, and he moved it finally.  He was always a jerk.  He knew my dad worked odd hours, and he would mow his grass while dad was sleeping, make all kinds of noise, etc.  He accused my dad of poisoning his dog (but our dog died mysteriously before his - my dad would NEVER kill a pet).  A few years ago, a FOR SALE sign went out front.  My parents were interested in buying that house and giving it to us.  But before they could even talk to him, he said his house wasn't for sale - someone played a prank and put a realtor sign from someone else's house in his yard, or perhaps it blew down there and someone thought it was his house and was being nice.  He accused my dad of putting it there.  Dude has issues, but lately he's been quiet, thankfully.

• Love 1

@funky-rat, our cranky neighbor went so far as to yell obscenities to me as I walked our then 2 year old daughter to the car to go to the store. We had to call the sheriff for that one as he was very menacing. I was ever so glad to see him in my rearview mirror as we drove away to our new house! 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I disagree with some of you over the fence case. It wasn't just 9 inches. The display showed two lines, fence and actual property line. JJ finally got it out of the plaintiff that while it was "about 9 inches" for a short part in the front of the property, it was several feet apart from the real property line going back. It was triangle shaped, the fence and real property line on the display.

Completely agree. May have only been 9", but it's 9" the length of the fence (maybe, so a lot more land area).  And the adverse possession thing is a BIG deal.  My mom is involved in an adverse possession fight for a family farm.  Neighboring farmer is claiming a strip of 5 acres is his (because he's been using it). Nope.  Not a huge chunk or percentage of land in regards to the farm, but Mom still pays the taxes on it, and it's her property.  Not his. And if he keeps "using" it, it will become his.

And when you put a fence up, you make sure it's on the correct side of the property line. Period the end. YMMV.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, GoodieGirl said:

@funky-rat, our cranky neighbor went so far as to yell obscenities to me as I walked our then 2 year old daughter to the car to go to the store. We had to call the sheriff for that one as he was very menacing. I was ever so glad to see him in my rearview mirror as we drove away to our new house! 

Horrible.  Our neighbor at our last house was nice, but his grandkids were horrible.  They'd sit on our back steps and throw knives in to the wood.  They kicked open our back door once to the basement.  They roller skated on our walkway and ripped off a back porch post - just terrible stuff, and we rented that house, so damage would have fallen to us.  I was never so glad as when their son divorced the mom of those kids, and she moved out of state.  We had a peaceful existence after that.

• Love 2
(edited)
54 minutes ago, SandyToes said:

May have only been 9", but it's 9" the length of the fence

As I recall, it was not over the whole length, but only over two small portions; and the exact figure of the encroachment is in dispute.

It seems everyone has known an overbearing cranky neighbour who believes that regulations and laws apply only when they like them to do so.

2 hours ago, funky-rat said:

My dad kept telling him to stop, and he kept doing it. 

He did the right thing by objecting from the start; from the looks of it, inaction can turn out to be very costly when adverse possession is involved.

54 minutes ago, SandyToes said:

Not a huge chunk or percentage of land in regards to the farm, but Mom still pays the taxes on it

If it turned out that he became the owner of that strip of land, would it not mean that he would be the one paying the relevant taxes from that point on?

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Florinaldo said:

He did the right thing by objecting from the start; from the looks of it, inaction can turn out to be very costly when adverse possession is involved.

It can.  I know people who live in a gated community for retirees.  They grabbed up a strip of land behind their parcel that belonged to the developer who built the community.  They mowed the grass and kept the strip tidy.  I didn't really agree with it, but they did it - no one from the developer noticed or cared that they were doing it.

• Love 1

I don't have anything to add to the fence case that hasn't already been said except for two things...

1.  Plaintiff had a terrific haircut and beautiful thick hair.

2.  In a similar vein she also had a pretty thick skull.  JJ couldn't get through to her no matter what.

2a.  Maybe that's why her hair was so thick - she had a thick skull.

2b. JJ was exasperated and eventually gave up trying to convince her nothing should have been done before she got a survey.

14 minutes ago, Florinaldo said:

If it turned out that he became the owner of that strip of land, would it not mean that he would be the one paying the relevant taxes from that point on?

You'd think, but it's all fishy.  And it is still our land - my ancestors paid for it, worked it, and until recently (we had a bad farmer who didn't take care of things for a while) my family worked it. Just because he wants it doesn't mean he gets it.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

In the fence dispute case, I found both parties off-putting. Plaintiff should have been more diligent in making sure she was not violating the property line while planning the fence and when the mistake was revealed, she should have proposed a timeline for correcting the situation, including the time necessary to get a surveyor to come by (the good ones can be very busy at some times of the year). The smirky defendants looked so smug that I could not help thinking that they deliberately contributed to things going downhill, enjoying the resulting mayhem. They seemed especially self-satisfied at coming out looking like the poor mistreated party in this affair; there's few things more loathsome than self-righteous thugs working under the cover of victimhood. I would not be surprised to learn that the plaintiff's version of her conversation with the wife was correct and that she was indeed told off.

As for the video-making case, we have another example of a customer (female again, like on People's Court today) expecting high-rent results at bargain-basement prices. That may work in some clearance outlets, but not in video production; you get exactly what you pay for. Delusions rarely pay off in that field.

Most yards were surveyed at time of sale and there are markers at the property line, either wooden stakes or metal posts, buried in the ground. They can be tough to find if years go by. When I was looking to fence-in my yard it took a couple hours to find them. Since we had been living there for quite a long time and have a tense relationship with one next door neighbor, I called a survey company to come out and make sure I was correct. Luckily that company had previously surveyed our property when my folks purchased it, so they just updated it to show any changes made to the house( we added a deck) and placed new markers for the fence company to use. Cost a few hundred dollars. But worth it to avoid any disputes.

• Love 5

There's also legal liability attached to property lines. What if somebody got hurt on what was thought to be Owner A's property, but it turned out to be on Owner B's side of the property? Since we live in a litigious society, they would have to know who to sue for pain and suffering as well as those pesky but ever popular POOO-NA-TIVE DAMAGES. 

Plus if we didn't have property lines delineated, then how would we all know how much of our neighbor's overhanging tree limbs to chop off, thus rendering a significant portion of the tree looking like a hot mess? 

Finally, if we didn't have property line cases, we'd just be stuck with pit bulls eating cats and cell-phones-for-our-besties-that-have-crappy-credit-from-not-paying-da-bill cases. 

I rest my case. 

• Love 10