Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Did the plaintiff in this case say that the defendant broke the sunroof on her car by dropping a pen on it? WTF?

Not by dropping a pen ON it.  The pen got stuck in the mechanism that moves the sunroof, and when she tried to close the sunroof, it made a noise.  She did get the pen out, but the sunroof still didn't work.  Sounds like she stripped the little sunroof motor or something.

• Love 2

I'm prone to brain farts when I'm watching this show. Can't imagine why

Just trying to connect with the people we see on the show. Perpetual brain farts that me and you and Byrd you, Byrd and I support.

Edited by DoctorK
embarrassing grammar
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, DoctorK said:

Just trying to connect with the people we see on the show. Perpetual brain farts that me and you and Byrd support.

Really, you'd think we'd be used to it and find all this normal, from "He knocked out all my front teeth so I only stayed with him 4 more months" to people  embroiled in some incredibly convoluted scheme that usually involves a 20-year old Mercury Sable with a lien on it being swapped for a TV and an ancient truck on which they are "working on" getting insurance or some such. But I have not yet arrived at the point where, when hearing that a disagreement has been resolved by a brick being thrown through a car window, or some ludicrous woman moved a ex-con she met last week on Craigslist into her home I think, "Well, of course."

• Love 6

I really got a giggle out of last week's episode where the neighbor backed into the plaintiff's car from the house across the street.  The defendant wife (and owner of the culpable vehicle) was not driving and kept laughing madly at the allegations, even after she pointed to her husband and admitted that he was driving.  Then she whispered to her husband, "What's your defense?"  And he said, I didn't hit them.  And JJ said "Yes, you did."   Verdict for plaintiff.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, shksabelle said:

Holy cow!! Plaintiff today may be the biggest beyotch I have ever seen outside one of those Godawful "Real Housewives" shows. 

New ep or rerun? There's a rerun with a plaintiff who would make the most non-violent person on the planet want to reach through the TV and smack her. "She didn't pay rent one month so I tossed her stuff. Not like she lived there, right? Just because she had paid rent for a year." Now, some plaintiffs think that because they're ignorant of the law, this one has an attitude of "I can do whatever I want because I've got the cheekbones to get away with it." She's also been interrupting and sassing JJ, leaning on the desk, eye-rolling, and being all mean-girl "whatever" in the halterview.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, shksabelle said:

Holy cow!! Plaintiff today may be the biggest beyotch I have ever seen outside one of those Godawful "Real Housewives" shows. 

"You drank twice as much and were half as attractive"?????

• Love 5

A very telling quote. The plaintiff may start off as pretty and the defendant not so much, but after listening to them I know which one I would never ever hang out with.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, DoctorK said:

A very telling quote. The plaintiff may start off as pretty and the defendant not so much, but after listening to them I know which one I would never ever hang out with.

With time, maybe the horrible plaintiff's nose may meet her chin in the middle, to match her personality.  Wow.

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, DoctorK said:

But then her ex-girlfriend said, "Whore," so she's no better.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Jesus, I detest JJ when she gets into her anti-marijuana rants.  Just say the word marijuana, and you lose, no matter what.

Agreed. On one level I get it. She's older and had anti-marijuana talks drilled into her in her youth, but its 2017 and it's time to get with it. People smoke weed. In many places they do so legally (at least at the state level.) I can remember cases of her being more compassionate with people who abuse hard drugs or prescription drugs than she is with people who smoke marijuana. I honestly can't watch episodes when I know that's what's coming because it makes me so mad.

• Love 4

That reminds me of the episode with the stoner dude who grew weed and smoked it with his landlady.  She, meanwhile, is snickering and shaking her head at his testimony, but OF COURSE he is telling the truth about her!  She most certainly smoked weed with him!

• Love 2

Those two Shrek-ettes battling over 6 - 12" of grass/dirt and a fence post and surveys and blah blah - I was thinking the same thing as JJ said at the end, that is if this all they have to do with their time - sit around on their large derrieres and think up petty shit over which to squabble -  they need some meds. Or something.

• Love 6
On 4/20/2017 at 5:06 PM, AZChristian said:

THAT was obnoxious. I don't get why any litigant would think she might come out ahead in life, in the estimation of the viewing public, or with Judge Judy in making such a comment. Even if a person sincerely believed such to be the case, it would be  an opinion best kept to oneself.  

On 4/20/2017 at 7:10 PM, Silver Raven said:

But then her ex-girlfriend said, "Whore," so she's no better.

I even think calling someone a whore allows a person to come across more positively than did the woman who uttered the immortal "drank twice as much and were half as attractive" line with which we are teased in promos all week.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, jilliannatalia said:

THAT was obnoxious. I don't get why any litigant would think she might come out ahead in life, in the estimation of the viewing public, or with Judge Judy in making such a comment. Even if a person sincerely believed such to be the case, it would be  an opinion best kept to oneself.  

I even think calling someone a whore allows a person to come across more positively than did the woman who uttered the immortal "drank twice as much and were half as attractive" line with which we are teased in promos all week.

And I thought the defendant just said, "Wow."  As in "Wow.  I can't believe you just said that."  But I might be wrong.  I'm 70, and these things on each side of my head don't work as well as they used to.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

And I thought the defendant just said, "Wow."  As in "Wow.  I can't believe you just said that."  But I might be wrong.  I'm 70, and these things on each side of my head don't work as well as they used to.

For all I know, she may have said "wow." I was relying on Silver Raven's transcription of her words. I'm not yet thirty, and my ears couldn't discern what she said, either.

• Love 1

I can't help but be even more outraged by the rerun of the woman suing her former landlord after she moved into a "beautiful, 3900sq.ft, five-bedroom, three-bathroom" house, courtesy of Byrd, who is paying the shortfall for this Sec8 person. I have a 2 1/2 bath, 4 bedroom, 2500sq.ft. house and paid for it by working my ass off since I was 19. Yes, I own it as opposed to the taxpayers renting it for me, but still it's galling. I totally agree there are people who, through no fault of their own need low-income housing. Does that housing have to be top of the line? This offers no incentive or motivation for anyone to strive to earn enough to pay for their own accomodations, especially when that person is allowed to move her whole damned family in to partake at the public trough.

• Love 11

AngelaHunter I may be wrong but the original intention of section 8 was to provide people trapped in the cesspool of dysfunctional public housing a way to get out of it and become productive self supporting citizens. Sadly, the section 8 people we see on the court shows (who are not necessarily representative of section 8 people) see it as a perpetual subsidy allowing them to live much better than the working poor, or even the regular middle class, paid for by us.

• Love 7
On 4/21/2017 at 11:08 AM, Silver Raven said:

Jesus, I detest JJ when she gets into her anti-marijuana rants.  Just say the word marijuana, and you lose, no matter what.

Her parents probably took her to see "Reefer Madness."

Edited by jilliannatalia
typo
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, DoctorK said:

AngelaHunter I may be wrong but the original intention of section 8 was to provide people trapped in the cesspool of dysfunctional public housing a way to get out of it and become productive self supporting citizens. Sadly, the section 8 people we see on the court shows (who are not necessarily representative of section 8 people) see it as a perpetual subsidy allowing them to live much better than the working poor, or even the regular middle class, paid for by us.

I had a classroom assistant from my teaching days (a single mother who told me, though I'm not sure I believe her, that she conceived her child on purpose because she and her boyfriend were talking about moving in together, and she thought that was a serious enough commitment to bring a child into the picture)  who missed enough work to qualify for Section 8 assistance one year. She'll never again work too many days to qualify for the assistance. She'll be a lifer.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DoctorK said:

Sadly, the section 8 people we see on the court shows (who are not necessarily representative of section 8 people) see it as a perpetual subsidy allowing them to live much better than the working poor, or even the regular middle class, paid for by us.

Most working people will never own or even be able to rent that big, "Oh, it's beautiful!" house, unless they quit their jobs and cry poverty. I wish I could appreciate the irony more. Why would anyone bother working only to live in mediocre housing? But wait - you can have a job and still get this free ride, according to another woman we saw who did get a job and was earning a good salary yet still was getting her rent paid by people who probably earn less than she does. "It follows you whever you go," she explained to the befuddled JJ.

1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

Maybe the original intent was for Sec 8 to be temporary, but it has morphed into permanent dependence.

It's a like a lot of people I knew of growing up. For them, welfare is a career and family tradition. I just wish governments weren't so free and easy with our money.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

It's a like a lot of people I knew of growing up. For them, welfare is a career and family tradition. I just wish governments weren't so free and easy with our money.

When I taught, I had before-school playground duty for awhile. A third-grader who didn't have many friends used to hang out by me every morning. One morning he asked me how a person should go about getting more income. I thought it was an interesting choice of vocabulary for a child of his age, but, naive person that I was, I took his question at face value. I told him that when my husband and I needed more money (husband was in medical school, while I was in law school and keeping a roof over our heads by teaching) my husband worked weekends when he could as a paramedic and taught piano lessons. The child responded, "My mom needs more income, so she's going to have another baby." It was hard for me not to scream, as I was dragging myself to school to teach  every day after going to law school until 11:00 p.m., driving home, doing homework, and getting  4 1/2 hours of sleep.

• Love 7

A lot of people say the "more babies/more money" philosophy doesn't happen.  But those of us who have seen it in real life know better.  It's just a waste of time to argue with those on the other side of the issue.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I read this article in the Washington Post a week or so ago. It's called "Disabled, or Just Desperate?" It's a good piece about why people turn to disability benefits as a way to get some income. There's a lot of hopelessness out there due to lack of employment coupled with generational poverty and lack of meaningful educations. 

My reruns were different this weekend so I didn't see the woman who was receiving Sec 8 for the mansion. 

8 hours ago, AZChristian said:

A lot of people say the "more babies/more money" philosophy doesn't happen.  But those of us who have seen it in real life know better.  It's just a waste of time to argue with those on the other side of the issue.

It's never a waste of time to have a productive conversation. 

I have been a landlord. Section 8 is the worst! On the one hand, it's guaranteed rent. On the other, it's a nightmare! I can't speak for everyone, but the tenants I personally encountered were infuriating. The unit was supposed to be for a single mother with kids. Next thing you know, dad is right there as well. I don't know which was worse, dads who didn't work, or dads who did. The ones who did, would have plenty of disposable income. 

You would see those families had TV's bigger than the wall. Walking past was like being at the drive-in . The ones who didn't would be hanging around outside smoking all day. 

Some paid a portion of the rent. Some didn't. The ones who did, made live hell. Every time rent was due, something would break and they would report it. Still haven't figured out why putting a glass down your own garbage disposal and breaking it means you don't have to pay your rent. 

It may have started with good intentions - I understand that a civilized society has a safety net for those in need. I'm sure there are those who use it as a leg up and then go on to happy productive lives.

But more often than not, those getting it would brag about the "free money" that was there for the taking.

The ones who didn't pay anything were an interesting bunch. Getting into their units was like getting an audience with the Pope. They never let you in - always needed to jump through hoops for an appointment. 

Never have I met people more expert in their rights. They will cheerfully rattle off every detail of every obligation you have to them. Sometimes, you just need access to an apartment. I would personally go in with maintenance to make sure no treasures were harmed in the checking for a leak. It was almost comical how predictable the phone call would be. "Someone came into my pace today and now all my jewelry is missing! I'm gonna sue!

And don't even get me started on moms getting paid not to work!

• Love 10
10 hours ago, jilliannatalia said:

The child responded, "My mom needs more income, so she's going to have another baby."

I heard one young "single mother" say almost exactly that: "If I have another baby I'll get a whole bunch of money."  Yeah, you'll be rich, because raising kids doesn't cost a whole big ginormous bunch of money.

1 hour ago, Hockeymom said:

But more often than not, those getting it would brag about the "free money" that was there for the taking.

Heh. I remember one disgusting litigants who used those very words - "They give you free money."

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Heh. I remember one disgusting litigants who used those very words - "They give you free money."

How many times have we heard young male litigants with a defense of "Well if she (the plaintiff) wanted to give YOU money, wouldn't you take it?"  And the plaintiff was usually a young single "stay-at-home" mom.  JJ does NOT approve of that defense, by the way.

• Love 3

The whole "free money" thing is systemic. I had a guy who worked at the restaurant. He would always tell me not to stress about money because "free money" was everywhere. He would love to tell me how his mother could "buy and sell" me. Yet every year, they were first in line for what they could get from Toys for Tots. 

His "wife" was getting Section 8. As a "single" mother, she was being paid to go to school  - online, plus, she was getting a check and food stamps because she couldn't work. She took one class at a time to keep her benefits, but wasn't trying to get a degree or anything. 

No one in his family paid for electric. Ever. His sister owed over $10,000. The electric company couldn't shut them off because the kids had asthma. 

So basically they took a good thing - benefits to help single mothers get an education and become self sufficient, and trampled all over it.

They had everything we couldn't afford. New car, better phones, toys. His boys had every game, game console, and system on the market. My kid was wearing sneakers from Payless, and his were wearing Jordan's.

I'm pretty liberal. I understand that people need help sometimes. I totally understand it's more cost effective to help someone become educated and employable, than it is to support them forever. But even I can see there are flaws in the system.

• Love 12

There was a very interesting show that explains why people can easily get disability and welfare benefits.

There is often a lawyer (paid on a percentage, or course) who will argue that the client should recieve disability or welfare.  Then the lawyer and judge look over at the opposing council's table, just out of habit.

But there is no opposing council in these hearings.  Just one side, the applicant and the lawyer, with nobody on the other side to say,  "Here's why the applicant should not get welfare."

Interesting, and it explains a lot. . . 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

There was a very interesting show that explains why people can easily get disability and welfare benefits.

There is often a lawyer (paid on a percentage, or course) who will argue that the client should recieve disability or welfare.  Then the lawyer and judge look over at the opposing council's table, just out of habit.

But there is no opposing council in these hearings.  Just one side, the applicant and the lawyer, with nobody on the other side to say,  "Here's why the applicant should not get welfare."

Interesting, and it explains a lot. . . 

Not sure about the claim of his easy it us to get disability, since I have seen a couple people go through a LONG process of applying, bring denied, reapplying, denied, etc. I have a friend who has been in a wheel chair for a year and going through his third appeal, but currently living off food stamps and charity from church and family. Yes, he has a lawyer, but attorney fees are capped at $6000 and 25%. (Talking Social Security disability - not disability from an insurance settlement.) The process IS broken. I wonder how much urgency the disability lawyers place on a quick settlement, since their fees are restricted to any BACK PAYMENT.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

Not sure about the claim of his easy it us to get disability, since I have seen a couple people go through a LONG process of applying, bring denied, reapplying, denied, etc.

Sorry to hear of your friend, SRTouch.

This was a story on NPR, and it seems like they were talking about rural areas.  Maybe out there, where disability cases only come up a few times per year, it is different.  

• Love 1

Disability is REALLY broken. My late sister truly, honestly needed it: congestive heart failure (she could put in 30lbs just from fluid retention, severe diabetes, liver and kidney disease. She was denied. Then I see these people who get it for "anxiety". 

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, shksabelle said:

Disability is REALLY broken. My late sister truly, honestly needed it: congestive heart failure (she could put in 30lbs just from fluid retention, severe diabetes, liver and kidney disease. She was denied. Then I see these people who get it for "anxiety". 

Want to really see how bad it is?  Google "crazy check" . . . I first heard about it on People's Court.

• Love 2

"I wrote 'loan' because it was not a loan."

Um....okay.

Also, the new girlfriend of the guy whose ex bought him some furniture looks exactly like the woman the ex brought in as a witness. Byrd escorted the new girlfriend out of the room, and I thought she snuck back in because they're almost identical.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 8
On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 0:22 PM, AngelaHunter said:

Really, you'd think we'd be used to it and find all this normal, from "He knocked out all my front teeth so I only stayed with him 4 more months" to people  embroiled in some incredibly convoluted scheme that usually involves a 20-year old Mercury Sable with a lien on it being swapped for a TV and an ancient truck on which they are "working on" getting insurance or some such. But I have not yet arrived at the point where, when hearing that a disagreement has been resolved by a brick being thrown through a car window, or some ludicrous woman moved a ex-con she met last week on Craigslist into her home I think, "Well, of course."

And if they're not "working on" getting insurance they will swear on a stack of holy bibles that their insurance just lapsed the minute before they ran through the stop sign/went through the red light/smashed a fender/backed up into the pylon at Dunkin' Donuts, etc. etc.

Then again, we sometimes get the fools who try to ride the lie all the way through the desert hoping that JJ will let it drop.  Note to fools who are potential litigants - she never lets it drop.  Never.

1 hour ago, shksabelle said:

Or being afraid of angora.

8 minutes ago, PsychoKlown said:

And if they're not "working on" getting insurance they will swear on a stack of holy bibles that their insurance just lapsed the minute before they ran through the stop sign/went through the red light/smashed a fender/backed up into the pylon at Dunkin' Donuts, etc. etc.

Or (a favorite of the car insurance company I used to work for) "I was on my way to the insurance office to make a payment."

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

"I wrote 'loan' because it was not a loan."

That so tickled me that I posted it - along with a still shot - in "Testifying: Best Litgant quotes." 

I love seeing dirty old men get snookered by skeevy chicks.

LoanUntitled_thumb_jpg_470e9b4c62e6dab1a2f37e8d7e59d5ca.jpg

• Love 6
7 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

That so tickled me that I posted it - along with a still shot - in "Testifying: Best Litgant quotes." 

I love seeing dirty old men get snookered by skeevy chicks.

I know this is one of those things you aren't supposed to ask, but was she pregnant or did her shirt just really not fit? Because I'm looking at the pic you posted, and I seriously cannot tell if its one or the other. But I don't think she mentioned that she was going to have a baby soon, although after the loan that was not a loan she might have and I forgot.

22 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I know this is one of those things you aren't supposed to ask, but was she pregnant or did her shirt just really not fit? Because I'm looking at the pic you posted, and I seriously cannot tell if its one or the other. But I don't think she mentioned that she was going to have a baby soon, although after the loan that was not a loan she might have and I forgot.

Pretty sure she said she was pregnant, and blamed defendant for causing her to have labor pains when she had to walk because he repo ed the jeep he loaned her (been awhile since I watched the case, so could be wrong)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

but was she pregnant or did her shirt just really not fit?

Definitely there was an upcoming blessed event. It would be amusing if not for the fact that some unfortunate child is being forced to have this amoral skank for a mother.

• Love 1

Greetings to all you forum denizens who have enriched my JJ viewing experience with your awesome snark!

In today's rerun, we had the guy who got pissy over a cigar that wasn't fifty cents. All I could think watching was...can we retire the word "altercation"? Just say fight. It doesn't make your interaction sound more noble by labeling it an altercation. DItto "incarcerated." It's not a higher level of lockup...

• Love 12
5 hours ago, kacesq said:

All I could think watching was...can we retire the word "altercation"? Just say fight. It doesn't make your interaction sound more noble by labeling it an altercation. DItto "incarcerated." It's not a higher level of lockup...

But those are words our dear litigants know so very well, from the "numerous of times" they've seen them on police reports and/or heard them as they dealt with the justice system. They may not be able to speak one grammatically correct sentence, but "minor in possession" "driving under the influence" "order of protection" "DCFS" "Struck me with a closed fist" and all the other legal terms just trip off their tongues with the greatest of ease.

kacesq, if this is your first post here, welcome!

• Love 5