Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

What about Jerry and Jennifer, love birds/drunken battling gargantuas? Oh those madcaps, throwing vases and toasters at each other. "She hit me first," says Jerry, because if he hit her, she'd know it since he says he's 300lbs. Might want to do something about that, Jerry. You're having quite a bit of trouble breathing and you're only 45.

• Love 9

Fantastic life choices: defendant took out a loan for a motorcycle with 29% interest - damn, why not just put it on a credit card, it would be cheaper. Then plaintiff takes out a loan so he can pay that off. JJ mocks her for wanting collateral even though this is her boyfriend and she loves him - seriously, JJ, you haven't seen enough couples be overly trusting with the loans to admire someone who plans ahead? Of course the relationship falls apart and they start squabbling like little kids: "she hit me first!" "he started it!"

• Love 6
2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

What about Jerry and Jennifer, love birds/drunken battling gargantuas? Oh those madcaps, throwing vases and toasters at each other. "She hit me first," says Jerry, because if he hit her, she'd know it since he says he's 300lbs. Might want to do something about that, Jerry. You're having quite a bit of trouble breathing and you're only 45.

On that note, the two women who were in court because their dogs got into a fight were also very big girls. Seriously, folks, stop eating Haagen Dasz with a spatula.

• Love 5

That is becoming more and more common now, lying under oath.  Just recently there was an car accident case where the daughter lied her butt off for her mom.  Too bad (for her) she was so transparent.  Why are parents teaching their kids this is an okay thing??  I despair.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

That is becoming more and more common now, lying under oath.  Just recently there was an car accident case where the daughter lied her butt off for her mom.  Too bad (for her) she was so transparent.  Why are parents teaching their kids this is an okay thing??  I despair.

The worse liar-liar-pants-on-fire recently was the granny lying about the convict handyman. She couldn't have been more obvious if she had a sign to wave everything she lied, but she just kept on lieing.

• Love 10
On 11/23/2016 at 10:54 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

On that note, the two women who were in court because their dogs got into a fight were also very big girls. Seriously, folks, stop eating Haagen Dasz with a spatula.

The large woman on the defendant's side was a witness.  She was kind enough to get involved, presented herself well, and was articulate.  She doesn't deserve being insulted like this because she was willing to state publicly what she had seen regarding the dog fight.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, NYCFree said:

The large woman on the defendant's side was a witness.  She was kind enough to get involved, presented herself well, and was articulate.  She doesn't deserve being insulted like this because she was willing to state publicly what she had seen regarding the dog fight.

*eyebrow*

I didn't say she wasn't a perfectly nice large woman. Unlike most of the litigants who show up in JJ's court, she seemed polite and well-spoken, and given the usual crop we see on the show that's saying something. That said, this entire thread is chock full of snark, and let's take note of the fact that in the post directly above your quote I paraphrased Her Honor calling someone a moron. So. 'Moron' is fine but 'fat' is not. I'll write that down so I don't forget it.

• Love 7

Good fences do not make good neighbors: Large pushy plaintiff puts up a fence all around his house and paints it a dark brown to match his trim. Neighbor - whose health problems require a caregiver and a seat in court - doesn't like the dark brown so paints the side on his property a more natural brown (it's possible he had to pay for part of the fence too, I didn't catch the details). Plaintiff is beyond pissed - storms into the house, waving his finger in def's face, starts to storm out, but his feelings are so tender that when def calls him an SOB he has to come storming back to defend his mother's honor. JJ is not impressed.

Nobody denies def tosses a pepsi can - oooh, extremely lethal weapon there! Plaintiff claims in court that it hit him, and that's the reason he "fell towards" the def - lunged at him, more likely - and he said so on police report. Oops! He didn't. Do not lie to the nice Judge Judy, or she stops being nice really really quick. Not that she'd been nice to him up to this point. She reads him the riot act for home invasion - although def did say "come in" that first time, there was no invite when he went back after being called an SOB - threatening a disabled person, doing all that over a paint job that he doesn't have to look at, not getting that he has no right to force the neighbor to look at dark brown all the time, and perjury. It bounces off like the pepsi can did.

I didn't understand the fence thing.  I heard "split costs" but never a mention of a contract, or money paid.  If it was true that plaintiff built the fence ENTIRELY on his property, defendant doesn't have any right at all to paint the portion facing his property.  Do I have to paint my house according to the tastes of my neighbors?

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I didn't understand the fence thing.  I heard "split costs" but never a mention of a contract, or money paid.  If it was true that plaintiff built the fence ENTIRELY on his property, defendant doesn't have any right at all to paint the portion facing his property.  Do I have to paint my house according to the tastes of my neighbors?

It was on the border, not inside it. I can't imagine that plaintiff giving up even an inch of his property.

Fence laws get complicated; where my mom lives, they'd be required to put it on the border and split the costs, and there are all sorts of restrictions on what you can do with any public-facing parts of it.

47 minutes ago, Jamoche said:

Fence laws get complicated; where my mom lives, they'd be required to put it on the border and split the costs, and there are all sorts of restrictions on what you can do with any public-facing parts of it.

I have a friend who put up an expensive cedar privacy fence. She paid extra to have it extra tall around her hot tub. HOA told her it was too tall, and wanted it removed. Her husband took a circular saw and cut off the top two feet.

• Love 2

I think the fence plaintiff mumbled at one point that the defendant had paid "only" $700 out of a $4,500 fence.  Once the plaintiff required contributions, I feel he lost complete control of every detail about the fence.

• Love 3

I got angry Dad upset about the house being trashed while he and wife were gone...blames def..  Def is 19, smirky, works p-time at MickeyD's, doesn't go to school and JJ calls him out more than once.  Daughter is def's girlfriend, def came over to visit (how long is shady).  Boils down to girlfriend and def  doing the damage accidently (she was sitting on his lap 'playing on the computer' and knocked over the hutch on the other side which in turn falls on the TV in the next room.  It takes a while to get to the truth.  JJ gave the kid some good advice about doing something with his life....if it sticks who knows.   He has to pay half the damages.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

(she was sitting on his lap 'playing on the computer' 

I thought that was code for having sex. (I got that rerun, too.)

It's too bad - JJ seemed to kinda champion the Defendant and he just wasn't getting it. I thought maybe some of his cockiness was a play for the camera and could have been goaded by the producers to drag the show out for a half hour, but who knows. He was quite a good looking kid and didn't seem stupid at all. 

36 minutes ago, patty1h said:

Will someone please let Tosha Bell know that her mustache is gross and nauseating?   Goddamn, that thing is not a good look.

It does look awful, but what can she do about it?  She can't bleach it, can she?  If she shaves, it'll come back like copper wire.  The hair-removal products will leave a rash.  Electrolysis?  I've heard that's expensive.  When my upper lip gets hairy, I pluck. 

It appears that none of the witnesses saw the dog jump the fence or "go through" it.  I think JJ was right -- the dog ran toward plaintiff and scared her.  But we didn't see the entire fence.  It's possible there was a section that leaned.  And then there's that tire in front of the gate.  If the gate closes securely, they wouldn't need the tire.

On the other hand, plaintiff might have been encouraged by winning the first lawsuit and decided to try again.  Defendant is taking a big risk by not having insurance and having a Rhodesian Ridgeback and a German Shepherd -- even if the shep is a puppy. 

How many daughters does defendant have?  Is it four or six?  Six but only four who drive? 

• Love 4

It does look awful, but what can she do about it? 

There are hair removal creams, also waxing or threading.  

I once bought my mother a gift certificate for a pedicure.  I asked the salon owner when she filled out the certificate "When she comes in, could you suggest she do something with the moustache?  I'll pay in advance"  She smiled "I'll write it in the book."

Edited by Quof
  • Love 3

My hairdresser says she lost a customer when she asked "Would you like me to do something about those chin hairs?"  The woman was mightily offended.

I worked with a very attractive young lawyer who had several long black hairs on her neck -- very noticeable.  Why she just didn't pluck them, I'll never know. 

Both dog cases were wacko.  I think the scared plaintiff was just going back to the well...

The "registered" pit bull case? What a load of BS.   Can't believe JJ gave her ANY money.  Furious!

Soooo glad to see the landlord with the houseful of non-renters got his full $5000.  Dad was just as much an idiot.  

• Love 2

So far have just seen the repeats and must say again - the announcer on this show rules! How many people could say, "Cecil Higganbotham III is suing his son, Cecil Higganbotham IV... " without cracking up, especially when the Higganbothams are both deadbeats who don't pay their bills? I mean I know it was real necessities of life, like satellite TV and cell phones, but still...

• Love 9

At one point I noticed the defendant very carefully say "I've never seen the dog go over the fence." After JJ asked her if she had ever seen the dog get out.  I think there was a faulty gate, or panel, and that's how the dog got both in and out.

On the other hand, I could also see the plaintiff freaking out if the dog hurled its body at the chain link fence, tight next to her.  The she shoves the baby behind her and that injures the baby.  Phobias don't react logically, and the plaintiff did talk about how afraid she was of dogs.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

It does look awful, but what can she do about it?  She can't bleach it, can she?  If she shaves, it'll come back like copper wire.  The hair-removal products will leave a rash.  Electrolysis?  I've heard that's expensive.  When my upper lip gets hairy, I pluck. 

Dermaplaning (aka face shaving)! You can do it yourself with a Tinkle razor (a pack of three costs about $5 on Amazon.) YouTube has a bunch of how-to videos. I have it done at a doctor's office (because his esthetician uses a scalpel thingie) but do do it myself with a Tinkle when I don't feel like driving there. I really thought by now I'd have a full Wolfman face if I let myself go for awhile, but I don't. It's awesome! 

This has been your public service announcement of the day. (I haven't seen today's cases but am looking forward to them!) 

5 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Jeez Louise!  Use some wax or nair or something! 

I kept calling her Sherri Shepherd with a moustache. I agree with the Jeez Louise! That wasn't just a few wisps of hair that was a full on moustache. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Jeez Louise!  Use some wax or nair or something! 

I kept calling her Sherri Shepherd with a moustache. I agree with the Jeez Louise! That wasn't just a few wisps of hair that was a full on moustache. 

• Love 1

I don't know what happened to my post, but I was asking why JJ didn't say a damned thing about the mom throwing her toddler into a brick wall!  They showed her bruised head and she had to be taken to the ER for x-rays of her arm and head!  And the dog hadn't even gotten out!  Why does she even go NEAR that house at all?

• Love 3

I don't see why it's impossible for the dog to jump that fence since it's chain link

It was also a short fence, looked like maybe only four feet high, and not in good repair. I have no doubt that a ridgeback could jump it with no trouble, even the young german shepherd could probably make it over if he wanted to. Sometimes I think JJ without realizing it thinks in terms of her small dogs. Not that I necessarily believe the plaintiff's story. I laughed when the defendant said emphatically that all of her daughters drive - I would have asked if that included her 13 and 15 year olds.

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, califred said:

I was shocked she thought that was a tall fence it looked about 4 ft to me.  Rhodesian Ridgeback could definitely jump that.

ITA, I can totally see a medium sized dog getting out of that yard. Not saying I believe plaintiff and her vicious dog story, but the fence is not adequate to keep a Rhodesian Ridgeback or even the German Shepherd puppy contained. Heck, when I was a kid we had a Shepherd that jumped our 8 foot fence. Problem with the plaintiff's case was even her daughter said she never saw the dog out. I think plaintiff has a real dog phobia, and she freaks when a dog challenges her. And, of course, she's teaching her kids to fear dogs. Thing is, I think she's still looking for more money from the first attack.

My other episode had another dog case - the rerun where neither JJ nor Byrd have ever heard of the United Kennel Club. Uh, the UKC is the second largest kennel club in the US, as well as being in a couple dozen other countries. I've never put a lot of value on pedigree dogs (rescue dogs are more my style). I like the UKC more than the AKC because they place a greater emphasis on temperament, and whether the dog can perform the tasks the breed was bred for rather than the AKC emphasis on appearance. They do track bloodlines and predigree, but allow mixed breeds to compete in performance trials.

Nuf of that, the case was irresponsible owner and her sister in law, a back yard pitbull breeder lose a puppy. Lady finds the pup, takes it to the vet for shots and chip. Original owners sees the dog and is in court asking for dog back or value of the dog. JJ quickly determines original owner never took the dog in for puppy shots, let it out even though it could get out of yard, etc... like I said irresponsible owner. JJ let's the puppy stay with the rescuer, but makes her pay a $100 (original owner wanted dog or $500)

• Love 2

I believe the plaintiff's statement that the dog jumped over the fence.  And why was there a tire in front of the gate?  Are the defendant's daughters any more believable than the plaintiff's daughter from a case last week (the one where JJ believed the defendant's witness from across the street and not the plaintiff or her daughter)?  If the mother has already lost one homeowner's insurance policy, then she is as motivated to persuade her daughters to lie as the plaintiff from last week, who wasn't even being sued (if I recall the case correctly). 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, SRTouch said:

I think plaintiff has a real dog phobia, and she freaks when a dog challenges her. And, of course, she's teaching her kids to fear dogs. Thing is, I think she's still looking for more money from the first attack.

I think she was looking for HER payday. Very telling when she admitted that her daughter's funds from the lawsuit were put into a trust. Which I'm guessing mom has zero access to.  Fishy all the way around. She did not prove the dog was out. You can't sue (and win) for walking past a barking dog.  In my world.

• Love 5

I agree that the plaintiff failed to prove her case but I do think the dog got out of the yard either by jumping over the fence or getting through a gap. The defendant very carefully chose her words at one point, as someone pointed out above and I think she did that to avoid coming clean. The fence had that tire there and I do think it's very likely her dogs can get out.

I also think the plaintiff is very afraid of dogs and that mixed with past difficulties has ruined any chance of these people ever getting along. I don't think she was looking for a payday because if she was, why come on JJ, where the damages are capped at $5000? She would have been much better served getting a lawyer and going to a real court if the goal was to win tens of thousands of dollars. I think it's more likely she wanted the attention and sympathy of being on TV so she could shame her neighbor into either getting rid of the dogs or moving.

• Love 3

I was confused by the defendant's contention that her homeowners policy would pay a MINIMUM of $100,000 . . . so she assumed that's what the plaintiff got the first time.  Plaintiff said that after lawyer's fees, etc., she got something like $34,000.   NO insurance company has a minimum for claims.  They pay a negotiated amount (the lowest they can negotiate), based on injuries and liability.  And I'm wondering how the defendant had no homeowners insurance, unless the house was paid for.  Or unless she was a renter, and her renter's insurance got cancelled after the first incident.  Something doesn't sound right about anything the defendant said about her insurance.

I do understand that the plaintiff might have been terrified of dogs, but she also appeared to be very dramatic and perhaps prone to exaggeration.  And with the history of already getting a chunk of money from the defendant's insurance company, perhaps she saw it as a chance to get another chunk of cash - this time for herself, instead of the daughter.  She was probably very disappointed to learn that there was no longer an insurance policy.

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I was confused by the defendant's contention that her homeowners policy would pay a MINIMUM of $100,000 . . . so she assumed that's what the plaintiff got the first time.  Plaintiff said that after lawyer's fees, etc., she got something like $34,000.   NO insurance company has a minimum for claims. 

Maybe she doesn't know the difference between "minimum" and "maximum."  Or maybe she meant one and said the other out of nervousness.  Because you're right--what she said didn't make sense.

43 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I do understand that the plaintiff might have been terrified of dogs, but she also appeared to be very dramatic and perhaps prone to exaggeration.  And with the history of already getting a chunk of money from the defendant's insurance company, perhaps she saw it as a chance to get another chunk of cash - this time for herself, instead of the daughter.  She was probably very disappointed to learn that there was no longer an insurance policy.

Another possibility is that she somehow knew there was no longer an insurance policy, and that's why she went the JJ route. I'm sure she must've known that the defendant didn't have deep pockets personally.  So JJ probably looked like a good gamble.  At least there's a free trip to L.A., if nothing else.

I agree that Judy had no idea how not-high that fence was.  A friend of mine has two Rhodesian ridgebacks, and they could've gone over it without batting an eyelash.

• Love 2

I have no doubt plaintiff is afraid of dogs and dramatic but that dog could have almost stepped over that fence.  

The puppy breeder is an ass. No vet visits at all before selling the puppies?    Four month old puppy with no vet visit? When I got my dog she was at the vet the next working day.  That lady is lucky her dogs didn't all have parvovirus.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Another possibility is that she somehow knew there was no longer an insurance policy, and that's why she went the JJ route. I'm sure she must've known that the defendant didn't have deep pockets personally.  So JJ probably looked like a good gamble.  At least there's a free trip to L.A., if nothing else.

My cynical side says she found out the insurance policy was canceled from her lawyer when he dropped her case.

• Love 5