Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

Eh, I felt no sympathy for military guy, dude was shady! He took her money for the down payment on the house and then only had his name on the deed? He meant to screw her over from the start!

The clothes case from yesterday: I was also waiting for the real reason of the falling out to come out, there's no way everyone was so upset over cheap forever21 crap.

And I think when JJ says "he doesn't have two dimes to rub together" she probably means that the person that's suing had no reason to expect to be paid back by someone who was broke.

What was the verdict in the case where the woman was suing for medical bills and and pain and suffering from an assault? The woman had a bright pink dress on and long blonde hair.

Her case was dismissed. She didn't go to the doctor for her ruptured eardrum until three months after the alleged assault and had no police report. 

I can't quote properly from this damn iPad, so forgive my lack of formatting.

"In the "stolen" clothes case, I kept waiting for the real reason they fell out to come to light. "

My money is on some dude they were both pursuing who wasn't actually interested in either one of them and was enjoying playing them against each other. Clearly, I watch too many court shows.

"And I think when JJ says "he doesn't have two dimes to rub together" she probably means that the person that's suing had no reason to expect to be paid back by someone who was broke."

But is it for a court to decide that someone who legitimately owes money doesn't owe it just because they're poor? You get the judgment, and then it's on you to collect it. It's even more egregious that she said that on a TV court show, where neither litigant is paying the judgment anyway.

My frustration with JJ is that she's completely inconsistent about this. Sometimes she'll dismiss a case because the person was stupid for laying out their money or credit for a loser, but other times she'll award the money. I think it's cruel for her to deny a judgment to someone she finds has actually been wronged. The idea of TV court is that you'll get your money back if you're right.

• Love 2

have a breaking news alert about NOTHING of importance that could not have waited until 5pm. But I wanted to know how JJ ruled on the case.

Ooh Dear Lawd, here in Texas, where we have a drought, the very hint of rainfall causes the weatherdudes to have a total meltdown. They have been caught before where a shower turns into a 'Nado. Seriously assholes, big bad storm shit happens in the late afternoon. That is what weather does. Heat meets cold. Did you miss that lesson in Jr. High Earth Science?? Help me please. It is all the Apocolyse, but it is the same fucking day, same fucking time . Why the hell, don't you just move Judge Judy? You have paid a bloody fortune to have her on your channel.

Oh hell no. I just turned into my mother. Someone fucked with my TV. .

Edited by zillabreeze
  • Love 7

But is it for a court to decide that someone who legitimately owes money doesn't owe it just because they're poor? You get the judgment, and then it's on you to collect it. It's even more egregious that she said that on a TV court show, where neither litigant is paying the judgment anyway.

My point exactly.  In real life, you will never collect what is rightlfully due.  So you sell your soul to Satan to have the LA hotel /airline experience to go to JJ, which you in real world would have never been able to afford/experience..  That's why I think she screwed over the plaintiff.  Just me.

• Love 1

My point exactly.  In real life, you will never collect what is rightlfully due.  So you sell your soul to Satan to have the LA hotel /airline experience to go to JJ, which you in real world would have never been able to afford/experience..  That's why I think she screwed over the plaintiff.  Just me.

There are pleny of cases where courts award cash settlements against companies or individuals whose assets have shrunk, who have gone into bankrupcy protection or who have done some financial restructuring that somehow reduces their cashflow. No to mention small claims courts where plaintiffs may have trouble getting payment even when a decision went in their favour.

Ability to pay does not appear to prevent these judges from ruling according to the law. JJ often acts as if social assistance is being paid out of her own personal pockets; perhaps she feels the same about payments made from the show's fund dedicated to financial awards. Or there was something else in the file which influenced her reasoning and that she did not share with us.

• Love 1

I totally get what you're saying and, like you, sometimes agree with that philosophy when it's murky about whether or not there's a reasonable expectation of repayment. In this case, I don't think the plaintiff was any better off financially than the defendant. But ability to pay shouldn't matter.

Here's an anecdote I will tell because this discussion has made me think about it:

One of my exes has a $10,000 judgment against a company that took her money and ran. The company filed abruptly closed and eventually filed for bankruptcy. So she'll never see a penny of her money back from it. But she still was awarded the judgment.

Just because it's an interesting story, I'll share the details of the case. The company was hired to convert her minivan to make it wheelchair accessible. Against my advice, she paid for the work in advance. I believe it was because it was the end of the year, and she wanted to get some of it back in the form of a tax credit. Anyway, the guy shipped the van to another state for a third party to do the work but didn't pay for the work to be done because he'd spent all of her money on other expenses. She even had to pay to have the van shipped back to where we live. At the time, I told her to try a TV court show since she wouldn't be able to collect anything otherwise. Blood from a stone and all. At least she'd get half of what she was out.

• Love 3

Ha I agree he was kind of shady but I just had a soft spot for him anyway. There's a fine line between shady and protecting yourself. Not making a big deal about it, I just felt for the dude because, heartstrings. 

In the two dimes to rub together debate, I understand what JJ means when she says that but on the show, I think it is kind of a fourth wall thing maybe. in that there are appearances that the plaintiffs and defendants actually pay what is ruled.  And I agree with her, that if you know someone can't pay you back or comes up with a series of "if, when, then",  you can't expect to be paid back and have to put it in the live and learn category. It's not right but it makes sense to me. Maybe JJ is thinking that when she rules like that, the plaintiff is being sort of predatory towards the person who doesn't have money to pay them back? Just thinking out loud with that one.

I wish I had been able to see the last part of the lady in the pink outfit assault case. Thanks for letting me know the outcome. They had widely different views of what happened during the assault. I believed him, that she was irritated and was really the aggressor. 

And to amend my original post, it was the case where the woman wrecked a man's truck and fled the scene who said the relationship was good while it lasted, small but good. Not the military couple. 

Oh gee willies, I forgot about the fuzzball sweater case. There was some serious anger underneath the surface with that mother. And there was something seriously off about the older sister, the way she spoke was just unreal. She acted almost like she was drugged. But I am sure that she wasn't and just speaks like that in real life. And I do think it was a case of just forgetting what you borrowed but then something else happened so the borrowing became an issue, a way for payback. The plaintiffs were all just not likeable and there was an air of underhandedness to them. Plus, I really wish that JJ had put more fear into them about the older sister burglarizing the defendants home. They would be falling apart if the defendant decided to pursue that angle. Ugh, I avoid people like the plaintiffs. Such sneaks.

I think the defendant looked better in the swimsuit  and that pissed off the plaintiffs.

• Love 7

Understanding one's ability to pay or not should apply when making a loan, but hadn't the plaintiff stolen the property?  The guy didn't loan her money to purchase it knowing that she couldn't possibly pay it back.  I must admit that I was wondering if the defendant was being truthful about what was stolen because that was quite a hefty list of electronics she rattled off.

• Love 1

I've continuously had a license and insurance and have never totalled a car - mine or anyone else's but I'm starting to think I'm in the minority. That's a scary thought.

Does anyone know what the "fiance" of the plaintiff in the suing for damages to the house said after his girlfriend lost the case? He seemed to be orating to the audience but I couldn't make out what he said.

• Love 1

Does anyone know what the "fiance" of the plaintiff in the suing for damages to the house said after his girlfriend lost the case? He seemed to be orating to the audience but I couldn't make out what he said.

I heard him saying something about the defendant being a wife beater.

• Love 1

"This, ladies and gentlemen, is a wife beata"

Thank you and sit down, you impulsive British-accented fool dating Fat Endora in her hoarded pigsty.

Short guy that worked in a refinery and hired a prostitute that waited tables in a restaurant wanted his money back?  She never stayed overnight, only a couple of hours at a time, the reek of sex-for-money was strong with this one.

Speaking of impulsive the Tooth Knocking Brothers had a motor-mouthed plaintiff.  He made my head spin.  I'm pretty sure he started it, whatever it was.  Interesting that a guy like that not only found a wife, but a mistress!  There is no accounting for taste or good judgment from desperate women.

• Love 5

"This, ladies and gentlemen, is a wife beata"

Thank you and sit down, you impulsive British-accented fool dating Fat Endora in her hoarded pigsty.

Man, so many times I wish we had just five more minutes for the case.  Would have LOVED to hear what Judy said to this guy. Byrd was on him pretty quick, but man!  Dueling protective orders, indeed.

And loved the uninsured (surprise!) driver's response to, "When did you last drive the car?"  "I took it to Taco Bell." She really was missing a few screws, I do believe.  I still laughed. (Yes, I am a horrible person. Reserved seat on the Stagecoach to Hell.)  I think the young man's case was hurt because he was inarticulate. It sounded like there was another car involved, and he was trying to explain, and Judy went all nutso on him.  And didn't know what time 1 o'clock in the evening was.  If it was 1 am, that's a weird time to get a call to come into work. But the gal just kept cracking me up. " I could drive, with another person in the car." "I got my learner's permit and promptly bought a car to sit in my driveway and wait."  Great reaction shots in the gallery behind her.

• Love 5

celi cat

Byrd gets on my nerves. In this case I would've expected him to be more authoritative with the shouting boyfriend. He hardly raised his voice. All he said was "sir...sir." Also, he dawdles to and fro when retrieving papers for JJ and even gets snarky if he's made to go back and forth too many times. While a case is going on he just leans back and (works a crossword puzzle?). He strikes me as lazy. I would think it drives JJ nuts. On the other hand....I love judge milian's bailiff. He always seems happy to do his job.

I have thought this very thing!  I wonder how much HE gets paid, versus his boss who makes $46 million a year.

• Love 1

Byrd gets on my nerves. In this case I would've expected him to be more authoritative with the shouting boyfriend. He hardly raised his voice. All he said was "sir...sir." Also, he dawdles to and fro when retrieving papers for JJ and even gets snarky if he's made to go back and forth too many times. While a case is going on he just leans back and (works a crossword puzzle?). He strikes me as lazy. I would think it drives JJ nuts. On the other hand....I love judge milian's bailiff. He always seems happy to do his job.

Aww. I love Byrd, often more than I love JJ. I like their rapport with one another, especially when she needs him to explain something regarding this newfangled technology. I like Douglas from TPC as well. Sonia from Hot Bench... The less I say about her the better.

Speaking of technology, JJ can't imagine a person not having any checks. I wish Byrd would've explained to her that lots of us don't use checks anymore. Hell, I dont even know where my checkbook is. To be fair, I don't go around purchasing money orders, but I don't carry around checks. Most of us have moved to electronic payments. If the bank can't pay it electrically, they'll send send out a paper check.

She also doesn't seem to understand the concept of direct deposit. I can't remember the last time an employer paid me with a check. The money is in the bank, and you use a debit card for purchases. What year is she living in? I can't imagine she still does her own grocery shopping, but if she does I wonder if she's the one holding up the line to write a check.

• Love 7

...But the gal just kept cracking me up. " I could drive, with another person in the car." "I got my learner's permit and promptly bought a car to sit in my driveway and wait."  Great reaction shots in the gallery behind her.

I actually did that, sort of.  I got a car, then got my learners permit, and drove everywhere I could until I got my license.  I actually had friends drive to my house and then hop in the passenger seat so I could drive somewhere.  When you do it that way, you do a lot of driving to places you wouldn't normally go.  I went to clothing stores I didn't shop at, took a neighbor to look for a new couch, drove my boyfriend all over town, took another neighbor just out to look at the countryside, etc.  It's what people in my area did when they couldn't afford driving classes.

• Love 2

Speaking of technology, JJ can't imagine a person not having any checks. I wish Byrd would've explained to her that lots of us don't use checks anymore. Hell, I dont even know where my checkbook is. To be fair, I don't go around purchasing money orders, but I don't carry around checks. Most of us have moved to electronic payments. If the bank can't pay it electrically, they'll send send out a paper check.

She also doesn't seem to understand the concept of direct deposit. I can't remember the last time an employer paid me with a check. The money is in the bank, and you use a debit card for purchases. What year is she living in? I can't imagine she still does her own grocery shopping, but if she does I wonder if she's the one holding up the line to write a check.

The last time I got paid by check was the late '80s. I was working for a tiny, financially troubled company, and if you deposited the check rather than run uptown during your lunch hour to cash it at the bank the check was drawn on, the check would likely bounce as funds were nearly always insufficient. Fun stuff.

JJ? I doubt she's handled anything other than her American Express Black card for the last decade or so and certainly doesn't handle her own bills. She's probably long forgotten what life was like when she handled her own finances. I have to hunt for my checkbook on the rare occasion someone requires an actual paper check. She really ought to make an effort to keep up with new technology and how regular folks live day to day, because it's affecting her ability to judge cases.

Edited by designing1
  • Love 4

And an evil faced Fat Endora she was!

Thanks all, for telling me what the British tool said. As for Byrd, I'm sure he's seen and dealt with many violent, crack-fueled whackos in his day and hardly sees a need to get excited over mouthy fools like said tool.

I forgot all about the roly-poly Penguin who cannot have a bank account vs. his hideous 'ho from Tequila Jack's. He really expected JJ to separate the money he gave her for sex from the money he gave her for security deposits, etc? Good luck with that you bozo.

• Love 1

I actually did that, sort of.  I got a car, then got my learners permit, and drove everywhere I could until I got my license.  I actually had friends drive to my house and then hop in the passenger seat so I could drive somewhere.  When you do it that way, you do a lot of driving to places you wouldn't normally go.  I went to clothing stores I didn't shop at, took a neighbor to look for a new couch, drove my boyfriend all over town, took another neighbor just out to look at the countryside, etc.  It's what people in my area did when they couldn't afford driving classes.

I did that as well. The summer before I turned 16, I worked full-time at Arby's to make enough for my first car. I bought my car, which was a stick shift, while I only had a learner's permit.  My dad's car was an automatic, but he knew how to drive standard, so he taught me in my car. I also had a couple of friends who drove stick shifts, and they helped me as well, but never in their own cars - only in mine. You don't want someone learning to drive stick to drive your car!

• Love 2

Wow two dog owners of the year... First the rerun of the pit bull in the neighbors car but that's somehow not his fault. Because the 8 lb dog antagonized his pit bull. And then he's offended she'd like him to pay the vet bills. I wonder if the landlord will try to get them out when the lease is up or make them get rid of the dog.

And then the all dogs in the country roam to the neighbors house dude. Guess what she doesn't want your dog at her house and your dog was not traumatized by time in a cage.

• Love 1

your dog was not traumatized by time in a cage.

Right. The dog was traumatized by being owned by one of the dumbest pairings ever seen here, who think it's okay to let it run free, so desperate to get out of storms, etc that it scratches at doors. The truth of the saying "Water seeks its own level" was certainly demonstrated with these boneheads. The brain dead wifey who was sure that if only JJ would look at the pics of trees and bushes, she would be convinced that it was fine to let their dog roam at will, and stupid, moronically grinning hubby are a match made in...well, wherever.

• Love 5

I did that as well. The summer before I turned 16, I worked full-time at Arby's to make enough for my first car. I bought my car, which was a stick shift, while I only had a learner's permit.  My dad's car was an automatic, but he knew how to drive standard, so he taught me in my car. I also had a couple of friends who drove stick shifts, and they helped me as well, but never in their own cars - only in mine. You don't want someone learning to drive stick to drive your car!

You like this

That's pretty similar to what I did in college when I bought my first car, a '74 Superbeetle, M&M yellow.  As for insurance, I tried to get it and when they heard I didn't have a license yet the lady laughed at me.  I couldn't understand because of course I was driving it with friends teaching me.  One girlfriend said she didn't want her insurance to get involved and I told her it wouldn't since it was my car and I was driving it.  I've driven sticks ever since.

ETA it was a used car for $900, I wasn't in college in 1974!

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 2

The idiot rural dog owners irritated me but the case after that, the motorcycle accident had a plaintiff whose eye makeup was so striking (not in a good way) that I was distracted. If your eye makeup is so heavy that you have trouble keeping your eyes open, there is a problem.

• Love 6

plaintiff whose eye makeup was so striking (not in a good way)

I haven't seen false eyelashes like that since the last time I watched an episode of the original Star Trek.

And what kind of people start fighting when they're on a motorcyle??

• Love 3

I don't understand why Judy doesn't award people the value of what other people destroy.  I was given a car by a relative and I transferred it in my name.  If someone totals it, Judge Judy would award me $0 because I didn't pay?  A plaintiff on the show paid about $1400 for a car that was worth $1900, but Judy awarded her the $1400.

• Love 1

The idiot rural dog owners irritated me but the case after that, the motorcycle accident had a plaintiff whose eye makeup was so striking (not in a good way) that I was distracted. If your eye makeup is so heavy that you have trouble keeping your eyes open, there is a problem.

Did she have eyes? I thought those were just black holes where they used to be.

• Love 7

I don't understand why Judy doesn't award people the value of what other people destroy.  I was given a car by a relative and I transferred it in my name.  If someone totals it, Judge Judy would award me $0 because I didn't pay?  A plaintiff on the show paid about $1400 for a car that was worth $1900, but Judy awarded her the $1400.

Why she didn't award that plaintiff the value of the car is a mystery. Yes, she paid less but she shouldn't be punished for having gotten a good deal. She lost a car that was worth $1,900 so that's what she shoud have been awarded.

Future JJ litigants would be well-served to learn from that case. If JJ asks what you paid for a car, lie like a rug. Know what the KBB value is, and say that's what you paid!

• Love 2

Why she didn't award that plaintiff the value of the car is a mystery. Yes, she paid less but she shouldn't be punished for having gotten a good deal. She lost a car that was worth $1,900 so that's what she shoud have been awarded.

Future JJ litigants would be well-served to learn from that case. If JJ asks what you paid for a car, lie like a rug. Know what the KBB value is, and say that's what you paid!

People should also lie about getting disability, unemployment, welfare or student loans.  They'll never get a fair trial if they admit to any of that.

• Love 2

Yes, she paid less but she shouldn't be punished for having gotten a good deal. She lost a car that was worth $1,900 so that's what she shoud have been awarded.

Agreed. If the KBB value of the car is less than what you paid, JJ gives you KBB; if the KBB value is higher than what you paid, you get what you paid. Classic "heads I win, tails you lose. I really think it shoud be the KBB regardless, that is the actual market value.

People should also lie about getting disability, unemployment, welfare or student loans.  They'll never get a fair trial if they admit to any of that.

They should also not mention that they are a stay-at-home dad ("You are a lazy bum!") or that they own an Internet business ("Fraudsters, all of you!").

However, most of those facts are bound to come up in the complaint and response papers they file or during the interviews with the show's researchers. It's better not to contradict what you already disclosed to the production team.

Speaking of research, some of the litigants would do well to watch a few episodes before appearing in order to learn what not to do and how not to behave in front of JJ; the dog owners on both of yesterday's shows made almost all of the possible mistakes.

Of course, some of these people do mention that they watch the show "all the time", but then manage to do everything wrong anyway when arguing their case.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 3

People should also lie about getting disability, unemployment, welfare or student loans.  They'll never get a fair trial if they admit to any of that.

A couple of years ago an acquaintance, in her fifties, who have had two heart surgeries and was on disability had a small claim case.  You couldn't tell by looking at her that she was disabled.  She filed her case at her local court.  She was surprised when she was contacted by Judge Judy and two other TV court shows.  She chose one of the other shows and won her case.  She said she would never had chosen Judge Judy because of her attitude toward people on disability.  I'm not sure if this would have been true in her case but she felt better safe than sorry and her claim was paid.

• Love 5
Jeebus maybe I can get someone to pay $700 for a room in my house.

You probably could, but do you want those people in your house? I prefer viewing them from a safe distance of several thousand miles!

It's a sad commentary on something that so many people who I would say are well-past the age where renting rooms/sharing living space with strangers is what I would call normal, still do. Crappy jobs/mental and social deficiencies/rent is too damn high/laziness...

• Love 5

For the love of God, Girlfriend of Leaky Fishtank Owner, perhaps the least articulate witness in recent memory (and that's a tough contest to win), is a "model" and aspiring actress.  Given her modelling photos, I would suggest she aspires to appear in movies that don't involve a lot of dialogue.   Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

• Love 4

Oh God. Leaky Fish Tank Girlfriend.  Just DURRRR.  How old was she, anyway?  I don't think I was that clueless at 6 years old.  How do you wait until 5 to go over there, much less wait until NINE to go check again!!!  Jeez louise!

• Love 3

"Leaky Tank"? Have we ever seen three people (don't know about Daddy's "Fiancee") with fewer brain cells? I don't know if I should weep or laugh.

Justin, who must think that his all-black outfit makes him look like some high ranking Mafioso, seemed totally stupid, that is until I heard his girlfriend speak. Just listening to her, trying with all her might (and failing badly) to keep one coherent thought in her teeny-tiny brain, nearly gave me a stroke. Oh dear god...

Daddy is just an ignorant, violent, low class drunk with a severely desperate girlfriend.

I've been keeping fish for 25 years and can say that draining even 6" of water from a tank takes all of 30 seconds,  yet not one of this bunch of idiots could figure that out. I'm glad JJ reamed out Dumbass, Shit-faced Daddy for having no regard for living creatures. Cretins, all of them!

Rerun of the "Sober Living Kerfuffle" made me question my thought that black chiffon, hair bows and ruffled halter dresses are not appropriate attire for midday. Maybe I've been wrong all these years.

• Love 7

They should also not mention that they are a stay-at-home dad ("You are a lazy bum!") or that they own an Internet business ("Fraudsters, all of you!").

However, most of those facts are bound to come up in the complaint and response papers they file or during the interviews with the show's researchers. It's better not to contradict what you already disclosed to the production team.

Speaking of research, some of the litigants would do well to watch a few episodes before appearing in order to learn what not to do and how not to behave in front of JJ; the dog owners on both of yesterday's shows made almost all of the possible mistakes.

Of course, some of these people do mention that they watch the show "all the time", but then manage to do everything wrong anyway when arguing their case.

Word to this! Besides stay-at-home father or internet business owner, don't tell JJ you are:

1) a single mother

2) a tattoo artist

3) a pitbull owner

4) disabled (unless you are in a wheelchair or rolled in on a gurney)

5) over 25 and living with parents

6) over 22 and a full-time student

Did I leave anything out? Oh, yeah...don't drink the water. Byrd paid for that water! 

• Love 4

I have come to hate ANY case involving dogs or cats! I hereby petition TPTB to test, follow up, then test again in six months ANYbody who wants to own a pet. Too much misery and insensitivity for me.

Wednesday, 10/15/14: the 28 year old son suing his dad for destroying his fish tank and flushing all fish down the toilet:

I haven't watched JJ in a long time, but, man, she annoyed me. Isn't she the one who rails against lazy asses who collect disability and unemployment benes?

Yet when this plaintiff said he had to leave for work, so he asked his gf to stop by after her shift to check on the leaky fishtank, JJ went ballistic. She said, you should have called into work 10 minutes late!

What I really hated was how COMBATIVE Judy was with the plaintiff right out of the gate. Why? He seemed ok to me.

Her final judgment was ridiculous, imo.

• Love 3

The Leaky Fish Tank plaintiff was quite entitled suing his dad for $125 of fish, and the replacement value of his worthless leaking aquarium, after paying only $300 monthly rent for 8 months.

Leaky Fish Tank son was a piece of work - he pissed me off worse than Drunkety McDrunk Fish Tank Dad. He was EXPECTING his drunk ass dad (who apparently comes home from work a ties more than a few on) to come over and save his fish all while his Dead Brain Cells GF was over most likely tying on a few with his Dad. Sounded a bit sordid and pitiful to me, especially when she could figure out to get a few mixing bowls and put the fishies in there with some water (or hell, fill up the bathtub with water and fish - use a plastic cup from the 7-11) But the son was really ungrateful, expecting his Dad to save him (although flushing the fish was pretty passive aggressive - but who asks a drunk to fix a fish tank?)

• Love 5