Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Second Place Isn't Good Enough

• Start Topic

^
So very much tastier than those hyped ones from NYC...

...and bravo to these tasks showcasing l'esprit de MTL better than a racecar RB or a cheese-tasting and bead-making that could've easily been performed elsewhere in QC ~

• Love 2

Congrats Steph and Kristen. Deserving winners!  I was hoping for Jill and Emmett, but happy for Steph and Kristen. So glad it wasn't Ashley and Joel. 

Jill and Emmett did good with the final challenge, they caught up so fast after the bagel disaster Jill had.

• Love 3

Hey Jillian, get your ass back to Montreal and clean up that mess you left on the sidewalk! [that being said, the moment after she dropped the first bagel - pronounced like she was Britta on Community - was comedy gold].

Kristen - reppin' for lesbians everywhere by choosing the pick-up truck [and no, Jon, not "everyone wants to know" which car they were going to choose].

"I'm just so happy [sniffle]" - awwww, Joel. 

Edited by cousin oliver
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Kanaloa said:

Welcome to the Nat/Kat, Jen/Kisha, and Amy/Maya club of North American all-female winners!

So four North American all-female teams have won the race, but looking at every edition in every country, we have a grand total of eight winning women's teams!  Chronologically, this exclusive club includes Zabrina & Joe Jer (TAR Asia 1), Patricia & Sane (TAR Brazil), Nat & Kat (TAR17), Kisha & Jen (TAR18), Bar & Inna (TAR Isreal 2), Valeria & Bodhana (TAR Ukraine), Amy & Maya (TAR25), and now, just joining them all, Steph & Kristen (TAR Canada 4)!

Also, with five wins, Steph & Kristen tie with Nat & Kat for the second-highest number of wins by a winning women's team at five apiece!  Valeria & Bodhana hold the record at six!

Deserving winners, really. I'm glad that TPTBCan were able to put together a final leg that balanced physical and mental challenges so well, and didn't give any team a big lead from the start, which happens more often in TAR:US these days. Instead, you had teams within reach of one another right up to the memory challenge at the end, and that raises the stakes for those in front and provides an incentive for those behind. Inevitable that there'd be some taxi drama in a finale, but I'm glad that TARCan still seems comfortable running some tasks in popular downtown areas. The St Viateur bagel task was on the money.

Nice that they saved the meltiest of all the Jill meltdowns till the end there, the bagel-litterer. You can almost feel the raised eyebrows of the camera operator when she's trying to switch the bagels on the stick: 'really? really? You think that's going to end well?'

Good job, TARCan.

Edited by etagloh
  • Love 6

Yay Steph & Kristen! Great tasks for a final leg. Last year we stayed at an Airbnb in Montreal that was a block away from where they did all the bagel running. I would have aced that challenge since we did the same bagel runs, just not with a big stick of them lol.

I really wish they'd get rid of those annoying hosts for After The Race. There's a reason I don't watch The View or shows like it.  There's no need for 4 hosts. Just let Jon host it! Or that guy from TSN (I'm blanking on his name) who hosted it before.

It's unfortunate that F & A are still being big babies about Ashley not telling them how to do the last challenge properly.  They really came across as whiny sore losers last night.   I firmly believe that literally every other team would have done what Ashley did if they'd been fighting to get into the final 3 as well.

Edited by Rachel RSL

I liked Joel and Ashley (especially dorky Joel, best dad in Canada) but Ashley's competitive background really comes out, lol. Not that I think she did anything that serious, she is right that it wasn't smart to ask for help. I wonder if she ever sabotaged another pageant contestant's beauty supplies. Would have been nice to see the first Cree winners but they seemed to have no clue they should have been prepping for a memory task? Maybe because there wasn't one last year, iirc.

Steph and Kristen are lovely winners.

I, too, hate the hosts of the Social. Did anyone else notice Jillian did not actually answer the question about her and Emmett's dating status? Hmmn.

Edited by innocuouspuff
  • Love 2

I'm glad Steph and Kristen won. I would have been happy with either them or Jillian and Emmett, as both teams have been in the front all along.

I did find myself rooting for Steph and Kristen, though, after I saw the other two teams get the male half to do the "muscle" tasks last night and realized that with their team, a woman had to do all the tasks all season.  

I'm really just glad Joel and Ashley came in third. I don't hate Joel, but Ashley seems really snotty to me.

• Love 4

This ex-Montrealer needed to calm his wife and kid who were simply too excited watching the race unfolded in places that were our playgrounds, some of them literally. Ah, je reviendrai à Montréal...

To the race, starting at St-Viateur roadblock, it was obvious that Steph and Kristen had it in the bag. Her efficiency in looking for the address was all the difference. I suspect that the gap between Steph and Kristen and Jill and Emmett was not as close as TPTB wanted us to believe.

As for After the Race, I turned it off after 5 minutes in season 1, I could not stand The Social women. Now they tried to pull it again? I tuned out right after I saw them. What? James Duthie was not available? What did he do? He was not involved in CFL this season and NHL was not yet started.

Edited by TV Anonymous
  • Love 2

Emmett deserves a medal for taking in all of Jill's hysterics, which were offen aggressive towards him, and giving back calm support. I hope she does something about the "crazy" she admitted to at the end. 

Winners deserved it.

Joel made me cry, but only cuz my own dad is rather cool and uncaring, and I always wanted a Joel.  

All in all, WAY better than recent US versions. Phil take note! 

• Love 2

The best team really did win.  It would have been awful if Jillian or Ashley had won this, as they were both carried by their male partners.  May I never see either of those women on my TV screen ever again!

• Love 4

Amazing season, great challenges, though I didn't like the winners :P they are ok as long as the BB didn't win!

I was rooting for the father/daughter, anyway the one I chose never wins in TARC lol!

See you next season and see you in TAR US forum :))

• Love 2

Shame Ashley and Joel didn't win, but i am glad the girls won ahead of Jill and Emmett. Ashley and Joel took their place well though as they seemed just grateful for the experience.

From Jill's breakdown during the bagel task it was clear Emmett was carrying her throughout the entire race ! She wouldn't have made it past the first few episodes if he wasn't such a strong player.

I don't think Ashley was a weak player - she just had different strengths to her father and as such both worked well together !

I just watched the episode since I didn't really care who won, and I'm in the US so I watch it online anyway. As it started, I realized that, as much as I don't care for Jillian or Ashley, both of their teams would have earned the win, as would Steph and Kristen. Since they were the team in the finale that I liked the most, I fully expected them to lose, because I seem to have that power when it comes to these types of shows. pffft

All three challenges seemed to be a good finale fit, with a good mixture of mental and physical tasks. 

I'll see some of you in the TAR Asia forum, since someone posted it is going to begin airing in October. Yay!

Oh thank heavens my girls won, been rooting for them, and I forgot to tape the finale!!  How stupid of me.  I see some repeats coming up so I'll get to see it, wouldn't even have looked if I read here that Jill and Emmett won.  So happy!!!

I barely watched this season due to other things but the finale is my hometown.  (Travel tip: Jeans Jeans Jeans is AWESOME.  The guy checking the orders is the owner and he will never steer you wrong on what you buy. And free hemming on site!) 

I was surprised that two out of the three bagel deliverers had no idea how to pronounce "chez". I assume that most Canadians younger than I am would have been exposed to some rudimentary level of French in school and that "chez" is extremely common (not to mention the fact that it has crossed over into English usage).

Jill could be very annoying but her willingness to admit to coming unhinged made me more sympathetic toward her. Emmett was very patient (although hopeless with any task involving words) and they recovered amazingly from falling behind but I was rooting for Steph and Kristen and was very pleased to see them win.

• Love 2