Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Lorelai and Rory and the People They Love

• Start Topic

This might be more appropriate for some sort of Gilmore Girls Q and A thread but I have:

In Gilmore Girls Only when Logan shows up at Mia's wedding to talk to Rory, and Rory brings up Logan's tantrum after his deal went south and the money was lost, and she says something like "Drinking and doing god knows what in Las Vegas"--do we interpret that as assuming or wondering whether he hooked up with another girl while there?

and 2, what exactly was Logan's job? Does it have a real world equivalent or was it mostly a Gilmore Girls universe job?

"Drinking and doing god knows what in Las Vegas"--do we interpret that as assuming or wondering whether he hooked up with another girl while there?

and 2, what exactly was Logan's job? Does it have a real world equivalent or was it mostly a Gilmore Girls universe job?

I don't think it was a question whether he hooked up with other girls, but more as a "You went there with Colin and Finn, and IF YOU WILL REMEMBER THE LAST TIME you went somewhere with them, you came back with a broken leg and collapsed lung, you idiot!"

I think the real world equivalent of Logan's job is some kind of venture capital/miscellaneous business job.

• Love 1

Watching Girls in Bikinis, Boys Doin' the Twist, I noticed a couple of things I hadn't noticed before.

- Rory's "husband" looked and sounded a lot like college prep Jess. Even his voice and the eyebrows.

- Lorelai, while listening to Luke's message, waved her hand dismissively and headed upstairs until he said the word 'police.' I found that rather inconsiderate, given the number of ridiculously trivial things he did for her.

In general, though, the episode is quite enjoyable, especially the Paris/Rory bonding and the sockman motif (a lot better than most other forms of TV cheating)

One nitpick - Lorelai called the hotel directly but not the cell when Rory left Florida and was shocked that Rory was unreachable. Duh. Stupid plot tricks.

My favorite part of the episode was Paris going to the banana eating contest because she wanted real food. Then after Rory talks to the guy, you hear a crowd making a sound of disgust and Paris going "why call it a banana eating contest if you're not supposed to eat the banana?" Definitely something I missed when younger that never fails to crack me up now.

• Love 1

Ugh, watching Gilmore Girls as a way to relax and not be depressed about tonight being Jon Stewart's last Daily Show. Well, Lorelai turns on the TV, and it's the freaken Daily Show. I'll just go cry in a corner.

• Love 1

I just started re-watching on Netflix and on mid season 2. I didn't remember this but Dean is volatile. He blows up at every freaking thing. He is no less angry than Jess. He escalates almost every situation, and usually is rude first.

I guess Lorelai wasn't worried about him in the beginning because he played along and found her adorable. The only thing that mattered to her.

In fact she pushed Dean on Rory during picnic basket episode. 

Edited by Megan
  • Love 1

Well, to be fair, Jess was actively trying to steal Rory and Rory went right along with it, stringing both guys along at the same time. Dean probably should have ended things sooner.

Regarding the infamous affair, I don't think it was right for Dean to lay all the blame at Rory for supposedly sucking him back in only to bail on him again. Dean was the one that was married. Dean was the one that told Rory it was over, yet made no effort to actually get out of the marriage before having sex with Rory.

You know now that I think about it, I don't think I really liked ANY of Rory's boyfriends...even though Logan turned out to be halfway decent towards the end.

• Love 3
You know now that I think about it, I don't think I really liked ANY of Rory's boyfriends...even though Logan turned out to be halfway decent towards the end.

I'll take it a step further and say that the show's male characters overall left a whole lot to be desired...there's a thin line between amusingly/relatably flawed and ugh-just-stay-away-from-that-jerk, and for me nearly every male character crossed into the latter category way too often :) 

• Love 1

I hated Dean's behavior during A Tisket, A Tasket. The whole point of the basket auction is to eat lunch with the person who wins your basket.  It would have been wrong of Rory to refuse to eat with Jess.  That being said, she didn't have to extend the outing like she did.  

Jackson's behavior that same episode was also awful.  

Honestly, temper tantrums, depressingly relentless negativity and vaguely alarming jealousy was par for the course for nearly every GG male, though some were more afflicted with these flaws than others and some lacked the salient strengths to counterbalance them. AS-P seems to think anger, rudeness and entitled/possessive bitterness is cute and amusing or maybe even (*shudder*) sexy and romantic. Luke, Dean, Jess, Logan, Chris, Digger, Max, Jackson, Richard, Zack, TJ...they were different in many ways and some of us are more apt to like/forgive some more than others, but nearly every guy had anger and/or possessiveness issues and was just generally jealous and sullen. It was really weird. 

The unfortunate part of the Dean debacle(s)---well, aside from the fact that viewers were subjected to such a petulant, sullen dullard for so many episodes---is that for some it understandably reinforces the 'see, girls don't like the nice guy and go for the badass brooding jerks instead!' It's too bad that they never had Lorelai and other characters on the show acknowledge that Dean was actually not especially 'nice' when it came down to it...even before he cheated on his wife. (And Jess, as aloe pointed out, turned out a lot better than expected...but mostly because he was allowed to do his growing and evolving offscreen, safe from AS-P's "creative" writing ideas!) 

Edited by amensisterfriend
Regarding the infamous affair, I don't think it was right for Dean to lay all the blame at Rory for supposedly sucking him back in only to bail on him again. Dean was the one that was married. Dean was the one that told Rory it was over, yet made no effort to actually get out of the marriage before having sex with Rory.

I just rewatched this storyline, and I totally forgot about all of this from watching before.  Yes, after all he did in his marriage that was awful (yell at Lindsay, stay out at night, not put in any effort), he had no right to blame Rory for anything.  Rory wasn't married, and fell for his lie that the marriage was over (stupid as that was).  What was Rory supposed to do--stay at home all summer and have an affair while he remains married?  I also never understood why Lindsay was a stay at home wife--at that age, why isn't she doing something more productive?  Noone needs to cook and clean that much.... it was just odd.

Heh---the cynics among us, including yours truly, might claim that making Lindsay pathetic and unrelatable to most modern young women was a way of making Dean and Rory's actions more defensible, hoping the viewers would think something along the lines of 'yeah, adultery is wrong and all, but Lindsay is so majorly lame that I can't REALLY blame them...' ;) This show has a habit of assassinating the significant others in an attempt to ensure that our main characters come out looking better. (e.g. Dean's increasingly stalkery awfulness helps justify (to some!) Rory kissing and flirting with Jess while they were still together; Rachel 'abandons' Luke again at the end of S1, as was her established pattern, when in reality Luke was once again doing that passive-aggressive 'in it technically but not really until the woman gets the hint and breaks up with him' thing; Logan sleeps with not just one or two women but ALL the bridesmaids during their brief "break", which is exaggeratedly gross enough behavior to make Rory popping down to Philly to see Jess and even kissing him seem totally okay even though she was officially back together with Logan at the time; Nicole suddenly being revealed as a cheater seems designed to magically absolve Luke of his own significant culpability in their relationship woes; the heretofore independent Jason is suddenly made a scary stalker to help pave the way for Luke/Lorelai getting together, Christopher rather abruptly reverts back to his early season flakiness to make Lorelai seem totally justified in breaking off their marriage without examining her own behavior, etc.!)  

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 3

You forgot making suddenly making Luke seemingly do a 180 about the engagement with Lorelei when he found out about his daughter to justify her jumping into the sack with Christopher, while absolving her of her passive aggressive resentment while she blabs her woes to the whole town (and her need to have things always go her way) that did more damage to the relationship IMHO.

Agreed that Dean had no business getting mad at Rory when she backed off from their affair. She was trying to do the right thing and let him figure out what he was going to do about his marriage. His reaction should've been a clear sign to her that it was time to cut and run and leave him once and for all.

I agree they usually made the significant other look bad so we'd root for the main characters, but what was weird with Lindsey is how nice they made her right at the end, before she found out about the affair. She tries to make his favorite meal, she's real sweet. She's even dressed in white in all her scenes. Not sure what the angle was there; it's like we were suddenly supposed to feel bad for her, after previously painting her as a spoiled nag.

Someone mentioned the spring break episode....I noticed the Shins are playing in the club scene, and in an earlier episode Lane loans Rory a Shins cd. Someone on the show was apparently a fan, but then they don't even mention them by name in the spring break scene. It's odd Rory didn't mention it and say "Lane loves them" or something. Oh well, guess I'm just nitpicking.

Edited by desertflower
  • Love 1

I didn't buy Lindsey as a spoiled nag. She was just a poor girl dumb enough to marry a guy that was clearly using her for a rebound.

I honestly don't blame her mom for lashing out at Rory. It's understandable for Lorelei to defend her, but Rory WAS complicit in breaking up a marriage. You can't expect Lindsey and her mom to be forgiving, even if Rory tried to do the right thing by breaking it off.

I honestly don't blame her mom for lashing out at Rory. It's understandable for Lorelei to defend her, but Rory WAS complicit in breaking up a marriage.

I agree.  It would be a rare mother who wouldn't be ready to jump anyone who hurt an offspring.  And while Lorelai reacted as most mom's would, Rory was 50% to blame and since no one else in the town was likely to blame St. Rory, she deserved to hear it.

Lindsey and Dean were typical teen aged kids who married too young and for the wrong reasons.  Lindsey was a immature bubble head who should have stayed home with Mom and Dad since she obviously couldn't tear herself away from them even when married. Dean was on the rebound but didn't have the maturity to realize that.  It was inevitable that the whole marriage was doomed from the beginning.

• Love 1

I too didn't blame Lindsay's mother in the least. Her child had been deeply and fundamentally hurt. Imagine if something comparably emotionally devastating had been done to Rory. How would Lorelai have responded?

Given her over the top reaction to an injury from a car accident and later her conviction that Mitchum Huntzberger was out to get Rory for his workplace criticism of her performance as an intern, an individual doing harm to Rory (as Rory and Dean had done to Lindsay) would be risking disembowelment.

I didn't particularly care for Lindsay - and I too wondered how on earth she occupied her time each day, given that she didn't work outside the home. Indeed, of all the young people we got to know in Stars Hollow - Rory, Lane, Jess, Dean, etc. - to the best of my recollection, she was the only  one without gainful even part-time employment. However, she didn't strike me as any more immature than Lane or Rory in Season 4. And Rory's petulant reaction to Lorelai's criticism of her affair cemented my opinion of her as callow and self-centred.

Edited by dustylil

I didn't mind Lindsay's mom lashing out at Rory, but I didn't like how her words implied Rory was solely to blame. She acts like Dean had nothing to do with it, that the poor boy tried valiantly to fend Harlot Rory off. She may as well have added, "And of course Dean fell for your seductions; he is a man after all."

MRS. LISTER: You! You should be ashamed of yourself -- what you did!

This one isn't too bad. I mean, Rory should be ashamed of herself for what she did. It's not like she didn't know Dean was married/in a relationship. But the "What you did!" reads to me like Rory carries 100% of the blame.

MRS. LISTER: Why are you doing this?

MRS. LISTER: There aren't hundreds of other boys in the world? You have to go after her husband?

MRS. LISTER: She slept with my son-in-law. She broke up a marriage.

Well, since we don't know what went on with Dean and his in-laws he may have gotten what he deserved as well.  I would probably have said the same thing to someone who slept with my daughter's husband in the heat of the moment. And I don't think Lorelai would have done any differently if the shoe was on other foot.  When defending Princess Rory, the other party was always 100% to blame.

"Lindsey Lister"

oh lord, sometimes this show has the worst names.

I've said this before, but as much as I love 'our girls', that scene with Linds(ay? ey?) and her mom confronting Lorelai and Rory is seriously something that I love. 

• Love 1

Maybe it was a little too much for Lindsey's mom to make it sound like Rory was entirely to blame, but it was in the heat of the moment and her anger was still justified. Rory knew that Dean was married and even if he was the one that initiated the sex, she had free will and made a conscious choice. Not to mention all the things she said behind Lindsey's back to justify the affair, basically using the Other Woman Psychology of blaming the wife for everything.

And Lorelei calmly (maybe condescendingly) saying that Rory did not break up a marriage did not help matters.

At the very least, Lindsey's mom deserves kudos for perhaps being the only character in the entire show that called out Queen Lorelei and Princess Rory on their behavior.

• Love 5

I do think Rory pursued Dean, on some level, before he told her his marriage was over.  Calling him when she needed a ride home, for example - Rory would have seemed more sympathetic if we had seen her try her mom, Lane, Paris, or anyone instead of going straight to Dean with an "I didn't know who else to call." She also went out of her way to assure him that nothing happened between her and Jess.  I think they were equally to blame, though Rory hadn't made any vows to Lindsay, so it's more on Dean in that regard.

I certainly agree about Rory having options, deeja.The doting senior Gilmores were another possible source of transportation. Also Luke. When Rory called Dean for a ride, I remember saying to the television ,"There are taxicab companies in Connecticut, Rory. Look into them".

Not in anyway diminishing Dean's responsibility in their affair, but the fact that he  was wearing his wedding ring when he came calling that fateful night should have been a sufficient clue to an intelligent young woman like Rory that his marriage might not have been over.

Edited by dustylil
  • Love 2

St. Rory had been raised to feel entitled to whatever she wanted by her mother, the town. and her grandparents.  She regretted letting Dean go so in her mind that justified the whole affair.  "He was mine first" being a key sentiment.

That, in my mind, was why she and McSmirk were perfect pair.  Same spoiled brats who wanted whatever pleased them and let someone else deal with the fallout.

• Love 1

Rory did a number of stupid and hurtful things in the last four seasons of the series. Many of which could be largely attributed to the peculiar dynamics of the Gilmore family.  However, I must say it was her lack of regret for the pain she caused Lindsay was one of the issues that bothered me the most. Not that I  expected instant self-recrimination from someone as  apparently devoid of introspection and as empathy-challenged as Rory. However, given her own reaction to Logan's trysts with the bridesmaids, I would have thought she might have been jolted into some remorse for her own conduct less than two years earlier.

Edited by dustylil
  • Love 3

Thank you for articulating that.  I recognize that this is probably no different than most long running series but ASP did a lot of that kind of "hit and run" crap - throw in a major plot point and then never mention it again and never have the character evolve based on it.  The affair is a big case in point as is yachtgate.  I don't know if it was lazy writing or her inability to understand that more than flighty teens were watching.  I think she gravely under-appreciated the intelligence level of the viewers.

Or we all spend WAY too much time analyzing things!

• Love 1

Rory did a number of stupid and hurtful things in the last four seasons of the series. Many of which could be largely attributed to the peculiar dynamics of the Gilmore family.  However, I must say it was her lack of regret for the pain she caused Lindsay was one of the issues that bothered me the most

I am not Rory's biggest fan post-season 4. But I don't like the idea that she should be feeling the most guilt out of the two for sleeping with Dean. At the end of the day, Dean was the one making the promise to Lindsey and Dean was the one who broke it. And by what she said - Dean took the ring off before they slept together - without knowing the intimate details how was Rory to judge? Was she supposed to call Lindsey first? Who is to say she didn't notice the ring - or rather she did and asked about it - and Dean came up with some 'I guess I forgot to take it off woe-is-me crap'? Ultimately - Dean is the cheater. And Rory/Lindsay didn't share a scene together alone so you can always fanwank it like she did apologise. I assumed the Lorelai/Rory vs Lindsey/Lindsey's Mum was done to show Lorelai/Rory together after a summer apart and before the rift. And at least the show didn't have Lorelai gushing over it as the best thing ever and rather pointed out how bad it was and how Dean was a lying liar who lies (which is as bad as it gets for this show). I just think the majority of the blame (like 99%) lies with Dean here. Rory can be an ass, but I think maybe less culpable than is held to account for I think.

Ultimately, I think it is sad that all the young girls on the show were shown to either have made bad decisions or thought they did or became pregnant after their first sexual experience. Rory, Paris, Lane. Sad. (I assumed Lorelai and Chris had been having it off at least a few times before pregnancy but I could be wrong). I don't know if it was a network-mandated thing - but on the whole it is really sad. Possibly Bunheads did it slightly better in their final episode and the Michelle-Ginny conversation but that is probably for a different thread...

Edited by SparedTurkey

St. Rory had been raised to feel entitled to whatever she wanted by her mother, the town. and her grandparents.

Like mother, like daughter. The whole town enabled Lorelei and Rory, and it was ridiculous.

Maybe the travesty of season six and seven could have been salvaged if, someone had marched up to Lorelei and said, " You know what? People postpone their weddings all the time. And those that have speedy weddings don't always last. So instead of getting jealous about Zack and Kim getting married before you, why don't you just talk to Luke? Or better yet, just grow up and get over yourself."

Or in season seven: "Um, Lorelei? Singing 'I will always love you' doesn't change the fact that you jumped into bed with another guy, married him, and flaunted him all over the town just because Luke didn't kow-tow to your last-minute ultimatum. Especially when you deny that the 'serenade' meant anything the next day. So instead of being pissy that Luke isn't in a rush to get back together with you, let alone make a big gesture, why don't you start being more DIRECT with your feelings?"

But no. Instead they all helped keep her drunk wedding reception rant a secret and actually helped HIDE her when she was avoiding Luke. Unbelievable.

• Love 3
But I don't like the idea that she should be feeling the most guilt out of the two for sleeping with Dean.

Well, speaking for myself, she doesn't need to feel the most guilt.  I'd have wanted her to feel some guilt.  

The whole mess was barely an afterthought to her - sleep with Dean (knowing he was married), break up his marriage, string him along for a while and then dump him for Richie Rich and his crowd.  Shed 8 tears at the break up and then "well, moving on now".  No self awareness that she was complicit in the destruction of the marriage or the aftermath of Dean's life,

Not saying he didn't deserve to be gossip fodder by any means but I can only imagine the labels that were pasted on him in that small town as opposed to the continued worship of St. Rory right to the big send off party ending.

• Love 1

I just finished the episode where Richard and Emily throw that Yale party for Rory (this is a rewatch of the series), and it is amazing how much I forget yet also start to feel that feeling of dread of the various things to come.  I left this episode and the one before it kind of depressed for the various reasons.

Christopher returned in the previous episode, which I had forgotten about, and when Chris returns we all know what that means--he screws everything up.  I like Luke and Lorelai together, but I can only think that I know the happiness doesn't last long so that bums me out.  I like their early dating scenes--I think they are sweet to each other.  Rory and Dean--though I don't really think they should have gotten back together I like that they try to date and make it work, only to be messed up by that stupid party (I hate how that whole party plays out and how stupid Rory looks at the end).  Lastly, I hate how Richard and Emily interfere with both Lorelai and Rory at this time just because they don't like who they are dating--I know they never learn, but you would think they would learn that this isn't the way to keep them in their life.  And how dare Emily blame Lorelai for not talking to her about things, when this is exactly what she does every single time.  

I do like Logan and Rory, however, so that is one thing that is okay...I just wish that Dean didn't have to have that embarrassing moment at the party.  I know that Dean is no saint, but it still is hard to watch.  

I agree totally, Alexa.  This was one of my least favorite episodes of the whole series.  And it's even harder to re-watch knowing all of the ramifications that stem from this mess in the following seasons.

I agree totally, Alexa.  This was one of my least favorite episodes of the whole series.  And it's even harder to re-watch knowing all of the ramifications that stem from this mess in the following seasons.

Thanks, that actually makes me feel better that it is seen (by others as well) as a bad episode as a whole.  It is funny, that in my last full run of this series I felt that I found more feel good moments, and this run through I am finding so many less of them.  And cringing as the bad stuff comes along.  

I didn't care for the male-Yale party episode either. Although I would have been highly entertained if we had been treated to a number of brief scenes before the function of the boys' parents asking/pleading/chivvying/blackmailing their sons to attend and the young men asking variations of the question, "Exactly how grotesque is she?".

Just to clarify, I did not think Rory should have felt greater guilt for the affair with Dean. But she certainly should have felt some. And there was no evidence presented to us that she ever did. The fact that Dean was still living with Lindsay when they began their relationship - as opposed to them living once again in their families' home  - should have been another clue that the marriage was not quite over.

• Love 1

I felt like Rory had more sympathy toward Dean when she started dating Jess than she did toward Lindsay when she helped break up her marriage. With Jess, she was telling him "I don't want to rub this in Dean's face!"  With Dean, he had to tell her that he was trying to be careful for Lindsay's sake.

asf, actually Luke kept the existence of April from Lorelai for closer to two months, not one. He learned that he was April's father just before Thanksgiving and Lorelai met the little girl in  mid-January.

Indeed, Rory had asked Luke on her return to Stars Hollow - just after the science project results were known in  November - what was new with him. Straight up guy that he was, he said there was nothing and then quickly asked her what she had heard. Now he could just as easily have said there was something new and as soon as he talked to her mother -  from whom he had no secrets! - he would tell her about it. Given that she was expected soon to be a member of his family as his step-daughter, that would have hardly been like telling the townies.

But in addition to the lengthy delay in Lorelai learning of April, one wonders if Luke's manner of getting to know his daughter - only at his place of business, never at their shared home, not allowing the child to meet his fiancée  - caused Lorelai to be concerned that he was following his previous pattern with women. She had seen his passive withdrawals from  serious relationships in the past (hiding out at Lorelai's when Rachel returned in Season 1, spending little time with Nicole in Season 4) rather than forthrightly ending them. Even after she gently confronted him during that ghastly visit to Martha's Vineyard, his behaviour and compartmentalizing didn't change. She had no reason to believe that their involvement was any different than his earlier ones.

Edited by dustylil
  • Love 1

asf, actually Luke kept the existence of April from Lorelai for closer to two months, not one. He learned that he was April's father just before Thanksgiving and Lorelai met the little girl in  mid-January.

Indeed, Rory had asked Luke on her return to Stars Hollow - just after the science project results were known in  November - what was new with him. Straight up guy that he was, he said there was nothing and then quickly asked her what she had heard. Now he could just as easily have said there was something new and as soon as he talked to her mother -  from whom he had no secrets! - he would tell her about it. Given that she was expected soon to be a member of his family as his step-daughter, that would have hardly been like telling the townies.

But in addition to the lengthy delay in Lorelai learning of April, one wonders if Luke's manner of getting to know his daughter - only at his place of business, never at their shared home, not allowing the child to meet his fiancée  - caused Lorelai to be concerned that he was following his previous pattern with women. She had seen his passive withdrawals from  serious relationships in the past (hiding out at Lorelai's when Rachel returned in Season 1, spending little time with Nicole in Season 4) rather than forthrightly ending them. Even after she gently confronted him during that ghastly visit to Martha's Vineyard, his behaviour and compartmentalizing didn't change. She had no reason to believe that their involvement was any different than his earlier ones.

You have a point, but nothing justifies jumping into bed with Christopher after her ultimatum. It was wrong on so many levels, especially when she didn't think of how it could affect his already fragile relationship with Rory. I'm so glad Rory ripped her a new one when she found out.

Not to mention it was so hurtful to Luke. I really didn't feel sorry for her when Luke seemed to give up on their whole relationship after that. I mean, what did she expect?!

I am not in any way justifying her sleeping with Christopher - or her later marriage to him, come to that. That she would marry the man who had treated her daughter - the person she loved most in the world - so shabbily for so many years never made much sense to me.

That is why I thought that ludicrous French wedding would be proven to be a sham. And provide a metaphoric kick in the pants to Lorelai. Ah well.

Edited by dustylil
  • Love 1

I'm in the process of watching the show for the first time.

St. Rory had been raised to feel entitled to whatever she wanted by her mother, the town. and her grandparents.  

This is why I would bake cookies for the guy who was sitting under Rory's special "study tree."  She ducked her head and gave her adorable stumble-y little speech about why and how much she needed that spot.  And he said, "I was here first.  Get lost."  The whole town of Stars Hollow probably sensed a tremor.

And then damned if Rory didn't come back through the enchanted portal to the real world and pull out some cash!   They let Rory take care of herself, in that moment, as a pragmatic adult instead of a pampered princess.  Excellent.

I just finished the episode where Richard and Emily throw that Yale party for Rory (this is a rewatch of the series), and it is amazing how much I forget yet also start to feel that feeling of dread of the various things to come.  I left this episode and the one before it kind of depressed for the various reasons.

Oh dear.  I'm only two or three episodes past the tiara party.  I guess there's a bad moon on the rise.

I am prepared to meet the challenge!

Edited by candall
  • Love 2

And the fact that Lorelei was willing to cut Luke permanently out of her life just to please Christopher pissed me off, especially when he was barely in her life...aside from the letter, she just had Sookie pick up food from his restaurant so she wouldn't suffer withdrawal from her precious coffee and junk food.

Remind me, why the hell did Luke feel obligated to help out at the hospital when Richard had a heart attack again? I get that he was a good guy, but after the way Lorelei AND her parents treated him, he didn't owe them anything.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1