Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Lorelai and Rory and the People They Love

• Start Topic

So, now that GG is on Netlfix, I tend to put it on in the background on weekends whenever I'm doing other puttering-around-the-house things (laundry, sorting through mail, etc.) and I'm up to season 5.  I have to admit: not my favorite season.  However, this weekend I got to Tippecanoe and Taylor Too and it just made me realize how much I love Melissa McCarthy as Sookie.  The pink tweed suit and the first lady helmet hair and all of her mannerisms are pitch-perfect for the whole episode - it's like the bizzaro-through the looking glass version of what Sookie St. James would think a first lady would behave and dress.  When they give her the right material, she can just fill in all the blanks in the best way.

• Love 3

I loved her, too, in 4.01 Biscotti, when she smoothly interacted with Jackson's OOT parenting and Lorelai's craziness about the baby.

Name the boy Lorelai?

"That wouldn't be confusing at all."

Perfectly played by McCarthy.

• Love 2

So I just finished season six, that's father then I ever watched when it was on air. I'm wondering if it's worth it for me to watch season seven or is the change of show runners jarring enough for me to lose interest?

Season 7 gets a kind of undeserved bad rap. Well not totally undeserved. It's mostly the first few episodes that are really bad, then it gets okayish, and then by the end it's IMO fairly good again. If you are invested in Lorelai's romances, you should watch. Of course, the first few episodes kind of play like bad fan fiction, but...

• Love 2

Season 7 gets a kind of undeserved bad rap. Well not totally undeserved. It's mostly the first few episodes that are really bad, then it gets okayish, and then by the end it's IMO fairly good again. If you are invested in Lorelai's romances, you should watch. Of course, the first few episodes kind of play like bad fan fiction, but...

I'm about 6 or 7 episodes in to season 7 and I'm finding it to be just fine. I have a general idea of how the series wrapped up but I'm interested in seeing it play out.

• Love 1

lottiedottie, I didn't realize you were a relatively new convert to our cult---um, I mean, new Gilmore Girls watcher :) I'm dying to know your picks for favorite and least favorite seasons, episodes, characters, relationships, etc.! 

Yes! I just started catching episodes on ABC Family. I have watched bits of seasons 1-3. I think I've seen all of 4 and definitely all of 5 and 6.  I may have watched an episode or two of the show when it originally aired, but never was that into it. I work from home and my job doesn't require 100% concentration, so I usually play episodes on my iPad while I work. I'm enjoying the show! I'm so glad I don't have to wait a week to see episodes and I can just plow right through them.

Like I said in the Logan/Rory thread, Logan is really growing on me. I am generally not a fan of entitled snotty rich kids (in life or on TV) so I'm a little surprised that I'm growing to like him.

I've also mentioned how much I fucking hate Taylor. Kirk is close behind. Of all the secondary characters (Or would they be tertiary?) I like Babette and Miss Patty--they crack me up. Melissa McCarthy can do no wrong, although I find some of her interactions with Jackson to be over the top and annoying. But she has great timing and her little comments always make me giggle.

Luke's manic anger is really tiresome, but when he is being sweet (or just normal) I like him. I have reached the point where Lorelei and Christopher did Paris and I really like their chemistry--better than Luke and Lorelei together.

I'll think about episodes and seasons a bit...I need to see more of the earlier seasons  before I can decide!

• Love 4
(edited)
Luke's manic anger is really tiresome, but when he is being sweet (or just normal) I like him. I have reached the point where Lorelei and Christopher did Paris and I really like their chemistry--better than Luke and Lorelei together.

I'm glad I'm not alone!  ;) 

I have watched bits of seasons 1-3. I think I've seen all of 4 and definitely all of 5 and 6.

Once you watch all of the earlier seasons, I'll be so curious to hear whether you thought the series declined, improved or stayed the same as it progressed. 

Do any episodes so far stick out as being particularly awful or awesome for you? 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 1
Once you watch all of the earlier seasons, I'll be so curious to hear whether you thought the series declined, improved or stayed the same as it progressed.

I'd say the show loses focus towards the later seasons.  The first few seasons showed the characters all working towards goals.  With Rory it was to get into Harvard (later Yale), and with Lorelai it was to own her own inn, while dealing with the terms of her arrangement with her parents.  Once the characters achieved these goals, I felt like the writers weren't quite sure how to move forward, so you ended up with lots of small ball interpersonal drama, rather than something more concrete.  I mean, to me, the biggest plot development of the last three seasons was the Rory/Lorelai rift and I never thought that really resolved all that satisfactorily.    

• Love 4

Once the characters achieved these goals, I felt like the writers weren't quite sure how to move forward, so you ended up with lots of small ball interpersonal drama, rather than something more concrete.  I mean, to me, the biggest plot development of the last three seasons was the Rory/Lorelai rift and I never thought that really resolved all that satisfactorily.    

Yes, they really ran out of steam in their/the studio's desire to keep the series running. The most important arc they failed to resolve was the Lorelai/Emily relationship. There could have been so many good, meaty stories. Instead they tossed a few crumbs into the Bon Voyage with Emily's idea of a spa and Lorelai's offer to keep doing dinner.

I would have loved to see strong confident Lorelai make her own decisions about the spa and change up dinner to be something other than kow-towing at Queen Emily's court.

To support your Rory/Lorelai rift, wouldn't it have been great for Emily and Lorelai to grow closer together because of it?

Edited by junienmomo
  • Love 2

One of the things I am noticing about this show that is really grating on my nerves is just how exhausting all the characters are. It seems like the writers thought "hey, quirks are fun, let's make sure everyone is always quirky all the time and that they are on full blast all the time." It's exhausting to watch and listen to. Maybe it was less annoying when the show originally aired and you had a week between shows, but watching episodes back to back it's really hard to get past these character quirks. The banter between characters can be especially grating. Everybody's gotta be cute and there has to be "amusing" repartee  before anyone can say anything of actual substance on this show.

I just watched S7E15, I am Kayak, hear me Roar--there were some nice moments between Emily and Lorelei when Lorelei was trying to help her mom with the Quicken stuff. Emily was actually human...and then the next morning she's back to being an intolerable bitch. Why? Why can't Emily show some growth there? I honestly don't know why Lorelei puts up her mother--she's unbearable, and I would have cut that toxic woman out of my life a decade ago, if I were Lorelei. Does Lorelei get anything out of this relationship besides torture? 

• Love 5
One of the things I am noticing about this show that is really grating on my nerves is just how exhausting all the characters are. It seems like the writers thought "hey, quirks are fun, let's make sure everyone is always quirky all the time and that they are on full blast all the time." It's exhausting to watch and listen to

Ha---yeah, it's funny how some of the show's greatest strengths (vibrant and flawed characters, witty dialogue, etc.) can all too easily become weaknesses depending on my mood and the degree to which the show feels compelled to play up its 'quirkiness.' "Exhausting" is the perfect word for these characters and the show in general if I'm not in a particular pro-GG mood :) 

Emily was actually human...and then the next morning she's back to being an intolerable bitch. Why? Why can't Emily show some growth there? I honestly don't know why Lorelei puts up her mother--she's unbearable, and I would have cut that toxic woman out of my life a decade ago, if I were Lorelei. Does Lorelei get anything out of this relationship besides torture?

You and I are often on the same (albeit unpopular) page re. Luke, and it seems we are regarding Emily/Lorelai as well. Lorelai (it's spelled with an 'ai', not an 'ei'!) is DEFINITELY to blame for some of their dysfunction, but I agree that Emily was toxic to the point where I sometimes admire Lorelai for maintaining any sort of relationship with her at all. In general, for all of Lorelai's many, many, MANY flaws, she's actually a far more patient woman than I am when it comes to putting up with angry, negative, critical downers in her life than I am :) A lot of people here blame Lorelai even more than they do Emily for their problems, but I'm not among them. And their 'one step forward, four steps back' dance grew so tiresome---it's to the point where I can't really enjoy at least 50% of their scenes anymore regardless of beautifully they're acted or written. 

• Love 3

One of the things I am noticing about this show that is really grating on my nerves is just how exhausting all the characters are. It seems like the writers thought "hey, quirks are fun, let's make sure everyone is always quirky all the time and that they are on full blast all the time." It's exhausting to watch and listen to. Maybe it was less annoying when the show originally aired and you had a week between shows, but watching episodes back to back it's really hard to get past these character quirks. The banter between characters can be especially grating. Everybody's gotta be cute and there has to be "amusing" repartee  before anyone can say anything of actual substance on this show.

Lottie, I hear you, but it doesn't have to be back-to-back episodes. I was just watching TNATP and between culs-de-sac and sweeping food under the sink rather than throwing it away, I was wondering how Lorelai ever manages to have an adult relationship with any reasonable person. The mocking seemed to be more cruel than funny, so I concluded it was not a GG evening for me.

• Love 2

I just watched the season 2 episode where Richard is retired, bored, and visits Stars Hollow.  I was a little confused that he acted new to her house though, given they had come to a party for Rory in season 1....   Other than that, it was such a funny episode (except for the end).  Everything from them discussing which person to move to the morgue annex because there wouldn't be room for everyone if Lorelai eventually married (Rory was so funny being horrified at the discussion).  And Emily being so distraught over Richard being in her way....too funny.

Here's what I never got about Richard In Stars Hollow. In The Bracebrodge Dinner he describes how he quit his job and he was so happy about it, he was smiling in the office and all jovial at the dinner at the Inn. But then in RISH, he's mad that he's not working anymore. Did I misread his actions at the dinner or was it just crappy writing?

(edited)

Here's what I never got about Richard In Stars Hollow. In The Bracebrodge Dinner he describes how he quit his job and he was so happy about it, he was smiling in the office and all jovial at the dinner at the Inn. But then in RISH, he's mad that he's not working anymore. Did I misread his actions at the dinner or was it just crappy writing?

I think it's one of those short term vs long term things. Richard was miserable at work because hated the fact that he was being phased out. However, he liked work itself. Being a workaholic, he wasn't prepared for retirement and how mundane it could be. So he had the short term satisfaction of retiring and sticking it to the people he thought were looking down on him/phasing him out (Bracebridge Dinner). However, that satisfaction ended when he realized in the long term, he needed something to do and had to find something to fill the void. Which was the point he was at in Richard in Stars Hollow. And that was hammered home when he helped Rory with the stupid locker first aid project (it was a really dumb idea). He went from project to project (painting, working on cars, etc) before realizing he needs to work but on his own terms.

Edited by solotrek
  • Love 1

Finally got around to watching the series finale. Aside from the implausibility of the entire town just dying to send off Saint Rory, I thought it was a nice ending to the series. I felt Lorelai's pain when Rory said she got a job and was leaving in three days. And then Richard's comment to Lorelai at the party was so heartfelt! I wanted to kick Emily for attempting to ruin it. Loved that they went to the diner in the morning before they left, too.

• Love 1

I don't think there is a topic on Christopher, so I will just put these thoughts here.  I just saw season 2 -- the episode where Sheri wants to get involved in Rory's life.  Christopher yells at Lorelai at the end of the episode in Luke's diner after she tells him she feels a little more free now that a door has closed (him being with Sheri, etc).  I know Lorelai doesn't always express herself well, but I understood what she meant (and she did have a compliment lodged in her conversation--that there was a part of her that seemed to keep thinking maybe they could work out eventually).  

I have seen all of the seasons, and for me, Christopher most of the time ruins many of the storylines for me.  He always has bad timing, he interferes at a time when things are going well in some of the other storylines, and just seems to always turn up when I would prefer he didn't.  This episode was a good example of that for me--I was enjoying the episode mostly, it had good flow other than Sheri being very clingy to Rory, and then it ends with him having the Lorelai smackdown.  I know this is just a small storyline in which this happens, and there are more to come, but it was just a good example of how he drags down the show for me most of the time.  Occasionally I like him and the banter he has with Lorelai, but mostly he is a distraction from other storylines I prefer.

• Love 3

I think my issue with Christopher is that they returned to that well a few too many times.  I feel like I enjoyed him less and less each time he was brought back - I really liked him the first time he showed up in Stars Hollow and when Rory broke her wrist and I kind of even enjoyed the whole Sheri storyline … and then it got worse and worse from there.  Him not being able to handle Gigi without Lorelai's intervention, ignoring Rory's wishes, the drunken night after his father died, the whole scene at Richard and Emily's vow renewal… yuck, yuck and yuck.  

• Love 6

"Christopher yells at Lorelai at the end of the episode in Luke's diner"

I skip that part always now. I just hate it. For as much as I've been a Chris apologist at times, who was forcing him to be there listening to Lorelai?  His own self. So his whiney adult baby ways could go take a hike.

At times I fantasize about editing the series in different ways like cutting all the Chris scenes and watching what would be left over.  i'm not actually gonna do that lol.

Edited by JayInChicago
  • Love 2

I have disliked Christopher from the get-go (as anyone who has ever read my posts can clearly attest).The deadbeatery in particular as well as his frequent petulant, whinge-ing tone  both entered into it. But I must confess it was also his lack of masculine appeal. I fell about laughing during that "dramatic" fight scene in Season 7 between Luke and Christopher.

I could always understand Lorelai's romantic interest in Max, Alex, Jason and Luke - even if I thought she was occasionally wrong-headed. But other than the mutual bond of parenting Rory, I could never see the attraction to Christopher.

• Love 3

I have disliked Christopher from the get-go (as anyone who has ever read my posts can clearly attest).The deadbeatery in particular as well as his frequent petulant, whinge-ing tone both entered into it. But I must confess it was also his lack of masculine appeal. I fell about laughing during that "dramatic" fight scene in Season 7 between Luke and Christopher.

Maybe it is just me, but I always thought of that scene as intentionally humorous and not at all dramatic. Two fully grown men rolling around in the snow while Christmas music plays in the background? I have never seen that as anything but funny, and it doesn't even matter who is doing the fighting. But I also like Chris, so maybe that skewed my interpretation.
  • Love 2

I think there was a dramatic note behind the Christmas fight, but it was primarily intended to be humorous. It was at least, the last chance for those two to vent their frustrations, misplaced though they may be. They should both have been frustrated with Lorelai because she was the one choosing to let the ambiguity remain.

Her ambiguity about the statement "I will always love Chris" really bugged me.

How can an adult who supposedly is 'all in' in a permanent relationship with another person not at least clarify that statement?

IIRC, Christopher never interfered with the Max, Alex or Jason relationships.

• Love 1

He didn't even know about Max until her bachelorette party, he was off playing house with Sherry during Jason and does Alex even count?

I agree they should have been venting on Lorelai.

I thought the fight was for laughs too, it reminded me of the fight between Mark Darcy and Hugh grant (I forget his character's name) in Bridget Jones' Diary.

• Love 1

I agree they should have been venting on Lorelai.

A scene with Luke and Christopher having a Gilmore gab session would have been hilarious.

I was just thinking of how incredibly over the top Lorelai was to both of them when they were in relationships with other people.

Lorelai having the meltdown in regards to Sherry saying that maybe they (Sherry and Lorelai) wouldn't have a relationship even though she wanted to build one with Rory. And then Lorelai basically demanding that she has to be a part of Sherry's life, Christopher and Sherry's relationship, and "how dare she" when ranting to Christopher. Um no Lorelai.

Or Lorelai melting down when finding out that Luke and Nicole had gotten an apartment together. Upset that she wasn't involved in the decision making process and that the guy who says absolutely nothing on a good day didn't give her any information.

Of course both Chris and Luke reacted with the appropriate WTFness to it.

• Love 2

Yes, I HATED how lorelai tried to involve herself in Luke's love life but STILL wouldn't admit she had feelings for him, ever. She had the balls to ask him not to date that other Chilton mom, then she freaks out because Nicole was at the diner and Luke didn't tell her beforehand.

I do give her one concession for when Luke loaned her the money for the Inn, she asked if she needed to also thank Nicole since as far as she knew, they were married. So her acknowledging Nicole in that transaction was actually respectful, if Luke and Nicole were even together at that point. So much of their relationship happened off screen. It was annoying.

• Love 2

There has been some talk in the Nitpicking thread about how much Lorelai really knew/accepted about Rory, herself, and how much she was projecting her own personality onto Rory (and Rory going with that and then that changing throughout the show, esp. in the later seasons). ITA with that whole point, and I just wanted to post on here to say that I've come back to the show quite a bit since its original run (I was Rory's age when it first aired), and who I 'side' with, particularly in terms of Lorelai and Rory, still switches back and forth frequently, even though now I'm closer to Lorelai's age. I actually think I've become more sympathetic to Rory's side of things over the years than I once was (though she still grates on my nerves a lot of the time, just personality-wise), because I can look back and see how hard it's been as I've become a fully-grown adult to really convince my parents of that fact, and that I'm of the age at this point where certain things are just part of my personality and cannot be brushed aside as things I will grow out of.

Rory's growing independence was actually very realistically done; I just wish it was characterized by behaviors that still allowed me to like Rory as much as I did to begin with. Because even though I acknowledge that she was becoming her own person and that in itself is a good thing, I still don't really like the person she seemed to become in the later seasons. Not that she was a bad person, just not a character I liked anymore.

• Love 6

Have been forcing myself to watch Season 7 after many years.  I am off on a medical leave and not much else to do so doing the 2 episodes a day on ABC Family.

I am finding that my terrible first impression has not changed one whit.  My hating Christopher with the heat of a thousand suns continues unabated.  What a pompous ass.  Whining about having to change his clothes for the "man date with a farmer", nasty comments about "diner guy", buying off Taylor and the bridge debt, the petulant child sticking out his lower lip when Lorelai wouldn't go right into "get me pregnant" mode when he wanted to, and the childish acting out with the party planner in front of Emily all make me want to smack him.  And this was all in just 2 episodes.

Throw in the entitled brat Logan McSmirk and his cruelty to Marty (a recurring theme from the past) and I am so over the Trust Fund Twosome.  They are just so much alike - I can't stand either of them.

• Love 3

Throw in the entitled brat Logan McSmirk and his cruelty to Marty (a recurring theme from the past) and I am so over the Trust Fund Twosome.

I didn't really see him being cruel to Marty there. Rory and Marty were being a bad friend and awful boyfriend respectively to Lucy. It was a normal situation that the two of them made really weird for no reason.  I feel that old Logan would have gone on with the charade because he'd think it was funny, but Logan had grown up enough to see that Lucy deserved to know the truth. And rightfully pointed out that they were being shitty people from hiding something so trivial from her. Hiding the fact that they knew each other before implies a lot more than just saying "oh yeah we used to hang". IMHO, I thought Logan was the only one who handled that like an adult.

• Love 1

I think it was the timing that I objected to. Couldn't Logan have pulled Marty aside and told him to come clean about his knowing Rory. I know he didn't like that Rory was being less than honest, but I question Logan's motive. 

• Love 1
I think it was the timing that I objected to. Couldn't Logan have pulled Marty aside and told him to come clean about his knowing Rory. I know he didn't like that Rory was being less than honest, but I question Logan's motive.

He deliberately humiliated both Marty and Rory (nice boyfriend move) and gobsmacked Lucy at the same time.  How embarrassing for everyone - it was the move of a petulant controlling child. If you don't agree, fine. But don't wound three people to prove your point.  

Just another card in the Trust Fund Baby deck - no consequences for hurting people. Just pay them off.

• Love 1

He deliberately humiliated both Marty and Rory (nice boyfriend move) and gobsmacked Lucy at the same time.  How embarrassing for everyone - it was the move of a petulant controlling child. If you don't agree, fine. But don't wound three people to prove your point.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. Lucy was going to be both humiliated and gobsmacked regardless and that's because of the actions of Marty and Rory. The longer it went on for, the worse it was going to get. And depending on how Lucy would eventually find out (maybe accidentally from Paris or even Lorelai or some photo of Rory and Marty together etc...), one or both Marty and Rory would be on the outs. Logan told Lucy the truth because she was being lead on by both her boyfriend and a good friend. That's cause to re-evaluate both relationships for Lucy and it's something she deserved to know. Both Marty and Rory put themselves in the awkward situation and they had plenty of time to get themselves out of it. Lying to a girlfriend like that says more about Marty than it did about anyone else in the situation. It may have been embarrassing at the time, but the only victim of the entire charade was Lucy, and Logan was the only person willing to stand up for her.

• Love 1

As much as I love Logan and am at best ambivalent towards Marty. I don't think Logan told the truth to be altruistic. He was growing increasingly irritated with Marty through the whole dinner if you watch his face. The attention Marty was paying towards Rory, the looks he was throwing her way. Logan was watching Marty like a hawk. So he threw some barbs with the oddball crushes story, then the "my boy" comment, after that Marty snaps back with the "trust fund" comment and picking up Rory's napkin. Which makes Logan ask the leading question about how they met knowing full well in most conversation such a question will be parroted back when two couples are having dinner for the first time. Then he proceeds not only to blow everything up by saying they knew each other, but to go farther and mention "Duck Soup" for no other reason than he was mad and jealous and twisting the knife.

• Love 2
(edited)

As much as I love Logan and am at best ambivalent towards Marty. I don't think Logan told the truth to be altruistic. He was growing increasingly irritated with Marty through the whole dinner if you watch his face. The attention Marty was paying towards Rory, the looks he was throwing her way. Logan was watching Marty like a hawk. So he threw some barbs with the oddball crushes story, then the "my boy" comment, after that Marty snaps back with the "trust fund" comment and picking up Rory's napkin. Which makes Logan ask the leading question about how they met knowing full well in most conversation such a question will be parroted back when two couples are having dinner for the first time. Then he proceeds not only to blow everything up by saying they knew each other, but to go farther and mention "Duck Soup" for no other reason than he was mad and jealous and twisting the knife.

Truth be told, if my SO's best friend-who-wanted-to-be-more- than-friends from before we started dating came back in his life but set up a weird back story pretending not to know him but still obviously attracted and forcing my SO to basically lie to a really nice friend, I'd be pissed on my behalf and on the other persons SO's behalf. It might not have been truly altruistic, but probably had to have been done based on how the two people had been leading someone on/lying to the person for so long.

It really is the type of nonsense drama that happens only when people are too immature emotionally to handle a simple situation. Pretending not to know someone because they rejected you awhile back? It protected Lucy from squat and letting it go on for so long was worse in the long run. It was one of the moments in the show for me that showed me that Logan was done with his "Peter Pan ways" and handled the situation better than either Rory or Marty. Lucy was broken hearted, but she was always going to be; either from finding out another way or dealing with a shitty boyfriend that lies. And Lucy finding out was always going to be bad for both her relationship with Marty and her relationship with Rory - because if you lead someone on like that, they're going to be pissed. The why of the lie that could be thought up are obviously going to be far worse than the pointless reason the lie was actually concocted. Rory and Marty got what they deserved. I've got no patience for BS like that.

Edited by solotrek
  • Love 1

I don't know that Logan handled it better, he clearly thought it was silly, but I think if he was truly uncomfortable lying to someone he would have told Rory to reschedule the dinner until they had told Lucy the truth. But he wanted to go to suss out with his own eyes what exactly was going on with Marty and Rory, because what he was really uncomfortable with was Rory keeping the Marty situation from him. I don't think he went with the intention of saying anything, I think the nights events lead him to it.

I agree Marty and Rory are idiots for creating the situation and then prolonging it, but Logan willingly went and stayed at dinner knowing they were lying to the girl and he could have begged off.

• Love 1

Whatever his reasons, altruistic or maleficent, I maintain the venue and timing was totally inappropriate and designed to wound.  I would never humiliate any friend or acquaintance like that. It's just plain mean.

• Love 1

It was mean and the wrong venue. But lying(for no good reason) to your girlfriend that you supposedly care about, then dragging your friend of a couple years into it, who is also your girlfriends friend isn't exactly "nice". Marty put himself and Lucy in the situation and was in no hurry to get out of it.

• Love 1

Can we assume that Marty lied because he still had feelings for Rory? Why else would he lie. Logan knew this, even if Rory was in denial. Rory should have not gone along with the charade. The only innocent in this was Lucy. This whole situation was so "junior high." 

• Love 2

How would you cast Rory's boyfriends?

I was pondering rather slowly the fact that Dean-JP was just too tall, and wondered who would have made a better first Prince Charming boyfriend. That led my monkey monkey underpants brain to wonder which actor I would shuffle where.

Here's my list. Who would you cast?

• Dean: Chad Michael Murray. he could have been a real threat to Jess.
  • Jess: not sure, maybe one of Logan's crew. Maybe Matt Czuchry if he'd had Luke's hair color
  • Logan: Milo with a haircut would have blown this part out of the water.
  • Marty: Paris' boyfriend was pretty much the same guy, except more Emily-worthy of Rory

One thing is for sure, only Milo was the right Jess for Luke. They were made for each other.

• Love 1
(edited)

Oooh, fantasy recasts! Fun! 

I'm not sure the ages quite line up here, but I would have absolutely loved to see Chris Pratt as Logan.

A young Nicholas Brendon (aka Buffy's Xander Harris) might have made Dean a lot more likable and compelling for me.

As for Jess...maybe Aaron Ashmore (Troy from Veronica Mars) with darker hair?! Chad Michael Murray, who for some odd reason I did think had a nice chemistry with Rory, though also with darker hair? This is the one where I'd most want to keep the original actor, though, because while I don't think Milo's acting is Emmy worthy in general, I did think he was a great fit for this particular role.

Who would you guys recast in the roles of Lorelai's love interests?!  

Edited by amensisterfriend

I'm not sure the ages quite line up here, but I would have absolutely loved to see Chris Pratt as Logan.

Didn't Chris Pratt start on the WB show, Everwood, and wasn't that on at the same time as Gilmore Girls? I think he would have been a bit more likable than MC.

• Love 1

As for Jess...maybe Aaron Ashmore (Troy from Veronica Mars) with darker hair?!

Interesting that you said Aaron, as Milo is starring in a movie with his (I believe twin) brother Shawn. They are filming Devil's Gate in Canada right now. 

I wasn't sure where to post this. Just a small observation...I am currently rewatching the whole series and just got through Rory sleeping with Dean and Lindsey finding out about it. I noticed that Lindsey is dressed in white in every scene she's in. Coincidence, or an attempt to make her look young and innocent, thus making Dean seem like even more of a rat? Or were they trying to make Lindsey look boring and vanilla? (Which she didn't, IMO.) Just curious what you all thought. Or maybe I'm just over thinking it!

desertflower, have you been reading TLo's MadStyle? 

In all seriousness though, I noticed that too and always assumed that it was supposed to underscore that she was Dean's "bride", although I guess that isn't far from young and innocent.  She just grated though - not that that means it was ok for Dean to cheat on her, even with perfect Rory Gilmore - but every time they showed her it was painful.  From the burned roast beef to the gummy bear brownies to the being mad at Dean for working overtime so he could buy her a townhouse.  She bugged.

Yeah, the bride thing makes sense. But you're right, she was grating, which is why I found the wardrobe choice somewhat odd. They made her kind of spoiled and annoying so we'd sort of feel sorry for Dean and maybe not be so hard on him when he was drawn back to Rory. But then in the aftermath, Lindsey is all white and pure and just wanting to please Dean, so now you almost feel sorry for her and angry at Dean. So I guess I'm just curious about what they wanted from the audience. Are we supposed to root for Dean and Rory, or not? Ok I've officially given this too much thought. But that's what these forums are for, right?? :)

• Love 1

I'm finally caught up to where I began watching (mid season 4) months ago, so I've seen all the lead up to Rory sleeping with Dean. The one thing I'm finding curious is the lead up to the split with Emily and Richard. It seems to come out of nowhere. I saw the episode where Emily found out that Richard was having lunch with his old flame, but it seems like aside from a passing snide comment after that episode, not much happens between Emily and Richard that would lead you to believe they were separated. The episode where Lorelai figures out that Emily is staying at a hotel is just plain weird, because Emily and Richards behavior doesn't make any sense--all the stuff with Jason just blew up and E&R seemed to be ok...and then this weird FND where Emily shows up and Richard is befuddled because the girls show up early...is just so wacky and seems out of character for Emily especially. 

Maybe I'm dense? Maybe I missed some important detail?

• Love 1