Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Between a Rock and a Hard Place / S03.E11: Trust Issues

TC risks his life to rescue a victim of a crane collapse and Scott reunites with a boy he paralyzed. Jordan lends support in Scott's emotional case, which stirs up complicated feelings from the past.

and

TC's hot temper results in a bar brawl, landing him and Drew in jail. Meanwhile, Jordan discovers her new date's secret life; Topher fights for a patient dismissed by numerous doctors; Scott struggles to save his relationship; Jessica tries to gain TC's trust; and Syd meets Brianna.

Well at least there a few more episodes to wrap things up with the hospital thing in case it does not get renewed. 

Everyone was right about Rick and Drew adopting CF girl. But not mad because anything that gets eye candy Rick on my screen I am cool with. Hoping we get more Syd with TC going off with her, as long as it does not involve love or sex WITH TC.  

• Love 1

I am seriously over Tantrum Child Callaghan's whiny baby business. Don't make me have sympathy for Drunkface McCord, fool.

The best thing about Shannon is her little sister snarking with Jordan. I think I like them better together than with anyone else, including Jordan and Scott, who's inexplicably being made over into a spineless booby.

I know it makes me a goober, but I got a little verklempt when Rick showed up at the surgical observation suite. I liked the scene with Brianna and her new extended family, cheap though it assuredly was.

• Love 3

I guess I am totally uneducated. I know Rick had a leg amputated back in an early episode and that does not mean he is unable to do any meaningful work, but how is he with a SWAT team? I know little about it, but I thought it would mean that one had to be able to do physical things, like running, squatting, kneeling and about a million other things that having an artificial limb might preclude. I suppose with his military background he could be supervisory, and I know Howard Hunter on Hill Street was all image and not much else, but Rick doesn't seem like one to sit behind a desk. I'm all for differently abled people doing and being all they can be, so I'm just puzzled. I've recently watched all of Hill Street Blues due to no cable, so Howard Hunter is one of my few information sources for SWAT, it's not much.

I guess this is as good as any other place to ask a couple of questions. I saw in the Episode 1 a mention that the show had returned for a quick winter season and I've been wondering how I missed that, but now I've read all the episode threads and maybe that person made a typo? I missed the explanation for why Ragussa (probably spelled wrong) is no longer with the hospital and what happened with Jordan and the baby, but I think I figured out she miscarried. 

In a minority, but I rather like Shannon, I do hope she and Paul will just be friends.

And I thought about St. Elsewhere with the hospital being sold story line as was mentioned on another thread. 

It did occur to me at one point that the mother of the donor might want to try to adopt Briana if she got the son's lungs, I don't think that would be allowed in any state, ever, but that thought occurred. They have been telegraphing all season that Drew wants a kid, so when he got attached to this one, it's not a big surprise. And she's going to be a difficult case for adoption, but in Texas? Just don't know about that.

I must have been in a cranky mood because I was sick of just about every damn thing.

I'm sick of the love/sex merry-go-round of TC/Jordan/Scott/Annie/Slutty Pharm Rep who can't dress professionally to save her life.  Did I leave anyone out of this mess?

I'm sick of horny-ass Kenny.   I'm sick of bug-eyed social worker making googly eyes at him.  Just fuck him already and get it over with.

I'm sick of the Drew and Brianna story.  Of course she was going to get a lung and the story went on much too long.

I'm sick of Topher being frustrated and put upon, whether it's because of hospital stuff, his wife, or his mama.

I know that, for me, this show has jumped the shark when the only one who didn't annoy me tonight was snot-nosed intern.  That's pretty bad.

I'll finish out the season but then I'm done.   Jumped. The. Shark.  

4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I'm not sure "Jumped the Shark" is the correct term, just because it annoys you now. The show has not done anything that "reach a point at which far-fetched events are included merely for the sake of novelty, indicative of a decline in quality" over the last few episodes that is anything different than they have been doing all along.

I'm not sure I like the hospital being sold storyline but it is always nice to see Rick. As for what Rick does with SWAT I thought he instructed/teaches or something like that but if with the advancements in prosthetics and amputees staying in the military and going back to war zones, who knows. 

Edited by fifty8th
  • Love 1

Maybe Topher can hit the lottery and then buy the hospital ala Grey's Anatomy. Actually, in RL, the doctors in ERs are usually not employees of the hospital, but work for a company or physicians group that staff the ER. So Topher and Jessica can form a company and get the bid to run the ER for the Big Bad Corporate Buyer. Or Ragosso can suddenly come back from Mandyville (West Wing reference for a character who disappears without a trace) and help Topher run the ER.

It says something about the plots of these two episodes that the hospital's potential closing was the only thing I feel like commenting on.

• Love 1

I see the writers of this show have been reading Harrison's Internal Medicine.

I wish I could have had some feels over Brianna's transplant, especially the near-miss she got in the first episode, but it's just so by-the-numbers.  It's great that she's got a forever home (okay, that makes her sound like a pet), but while I think wanting children is pretty in-character from what we know of him, it's just a bit OTT that he'd go from zero to parenthood in the course of four episodes.  And despite the fact that I do really like the social worker (save for her being so thirsty for Kenny), I just don't buy that she has all the time in the world to babysit Brianna.  I have a friend who's a social worker, and she sees probably dozens of clients in a day.  I still don't believe a gay couple would have such an easy time adopting in Texas, even with a difficult-to-place kid.

I'm honestly impressed by how they dealt with the poly couple.  I would have expected a lot more judgment--because that always seems to happen on TV--but it was pretty live-and-let-live.  Even if it wasn't for Jordan, she wasn't actually freaked out by it.  Though I don't know if I find ToughChick Shannon's reaction believable.

10 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Actually, in RL, the doctors in ERs are usually not employees of the hospital, but work for a company or physicians group that staff the ER.

That's true of private hospitals, but not necessarily at teaching hospitals.  In fact, that whole point confused me, because if they have residents, a new owner would be contractually obligated to allow them to finish.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Um, did you watch season one? This show has left the shark in the distance since the very first episode! That said, it's a fun snark watch, at least for me.

I missed the first 2/3 of the first hour, but snarkworthy notes from what I did see included Scott and Paul continuing to be the only surgeons in the hospital, Jordan's reaction to her date almost dying (I mean in the first scene where he passes out, before she knows he's on drugs/ married... seriously, I know she hadn't known him long, but he's bleeding out in front of her and her only reaction is annoyed?), and the way  TC's immaturity is displayed (I have the feeling the show thinks we're supposed to feel bad for him...). Not to mention the anticlimatic full name reveal... seriously, show, we waited two and a half seasons and you couldn't do better than Thomas???

That said, I enjoyed seeing Rick...

8 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I guess I am totally uneducated. I know Rick had a leg amputated back in an early episode and that does not mean he is unable to do any meaningful work, but how is he with a SWAT team?

I don't remember for sure, but I thought the job offer he got last year was like a SWAT team trainer? Which doesn't entirely jive with whatever emergency he seemed to be coming from last night...? 

Can we get a GIF of Drew punching TC in the face? That was really satisfying.

And let's also slap Pharm Rep who can't show any restraint with her makeup. 

And Jordan and her spineless surgeon ex-boyfriend.

And Kenny.

And for good measure, slap the polyamorous wife too for kissing Jordan. I know polyamorous people, so believe me when I say I have nothing against them. But Jordan showed no signs of wanting any sexual advances made on her. How would that have played out if it had been a man grabbing Jordan and pulling her into a kiss she didn't want? Polyamorous people are just as capable of understanding consent and boundaries as the rest of us.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I'm sick of the love/sex merry-go-round of TC/Jordan/Scott/Annie/Slutty Pharm Rep who can't dress professionally to save her life.  Did I leave anyone out of this mess?

I have found that if I FF through all that relationship drama, especially Jordan and Scott, and Scott and Annie, the show is much easier to watch and goes by a lot faster.  You don't really miss anything by doing that, either, since it's the same shit, different day.  I like slutty pharma rep, so I can handle her and TC, though not so much this episode.

Edited by izabella

Forgot to mention that I loved Drew both calling out TC and punching him. Brendan Fehr in general is the MVP of this show. Maybe he and Syd can get a spin-off of some kind. Topher could come along. And occasional Rick (not because I don't love Rick, but because I want a season 3 of Killjoys for LM).

• Love 5

Pharm Rep's attraction to TC boggles my mind. He was ugly and horrible, not even human in his negativity toward her, and she still professes her love for him? Please. Just stop. She is so beautiful, she could get any guy anywhere, and she dwells on the scourge of the earth who is TC? Who isn't even nice or good looking when he's BEING nice? Drew/Rick adopting Lung Girl ... why is she so perfect, acting perfectly, saying perfect things, when she is supposedly so "damaged" from being bounced around? Totally scripted and unbelievable. But I guess this is fantasy teevee after all, so there's that.

And yes, Drew punching TC was the best part of this show. No one deserves it more. I hope Syd gets to do the same once they get to Turkey, or wherever. Big mistake letting him join up IMO. Topher vetted him as being okay, but I'm guessing Toph wants him gone, too.

• Love 1

I think TC is spiraling down because all of his anger issues, I think Tofer knows it, and he knows he won't do any good in the hospital at least in turkey he can use all that anger for a good cause, and TC was almost always childish, I think he grew a little after Jordan got pregnant but after Jordan left him I think he went back to his old ways.I actually liked the second episode, TC finally got what he deserved, but I am also happy he did not go back to jessica I think it would be out of character for him to do so. 
Was not so attached to the Briana story but I was glad to see rick back. I liked the medical story with the Chagas disease, and I liked the whole poly what ever relationship thing I think it was funny, especially Jordan's reaction.  

Edited by silverbell
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Who isn't even nice or good looking when he's BEING nice?

Aw, I think TC is pretty cute. And he has his charming moments, although I can't recall if he's ever had any with pharm rep. (I've missed a few episodes this season, and I don't care much about their relationship even when I am watching). But yeah, he was awful to her in the break up, and she should just thank god she learned what a mess he is before their relationship went any further. Because he is a hot mess and he is spiraling out of control, and I wish this show had the chops to portray that realistically rather than trying to woobify TC or having him be fine for long stretches as the plot dictates.

Also, I cringed at Drew telling Brianna that he would never, ever, disappoint her again  or always be there for her (or words to that effect-I can't remember exactly what he said) when he wasn't around for her surgery.  I understand adults reassuring children that they'll be there for them, but I thought his speech was over the top because you know what?  He will miss her ballet class someday, and he will disappoint her someday, not on purpose, but because he's only human.   He could have apologized and toned down the never, ever stuff.

• Love 2

I hope Drew listened when the social worker (whose name you'd think I would know by now. Huh.) told him pretty much what Ohwell points out above. He is only human, and can't expect to be a faultless parent. And yet I think it's pretty much in character for Drew to hold himself to a Never, Ever standard.

I actually thought (for a moment or two) that Topher was going to tell TC that with all the upheaval and uncertainty around the hospital, it would be better if he, you know, stayed and did his job, and that his colleagues and students were relying on him -- but no, because TC has to bail on something every season or he starts resembling a fully grown, functional adult.

• Love 3

Pharma lady is going to save Topher and make everybody like her. Next season she will be the new Ragossa nagging everybody about the bottom line. I'm calling it now.

The Briana story would have worked better if the episode were not back to back. Drew punching TC was awesome though.

Also on a shallow note Jordan's jeans in the second episode were fugly. Cropped high waisted flares should not exist.

12 minutes ago, Emily Thrace said:

Pharma lady is going to save Topher and make everybody like her. Next season she will be the new Ragosa nagging everybody about the bottom line. I'm calling it now.

Drunkface PharmaLady McCord is not an appropriate substitution for our Little Angry Onion! I protest!

But you're probably right on the money.

ETA: Aren't consultants (I presume that's how DFPLMcC's marketing herself) held to any kind of conflict of interest standard in how they acquire and use corporate information disclosed to them?

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1

I am not sure how she got the name "Drunkface", I am only familiar with that because of the Fug Girls, who I discovered after being on TWOP for a while. I am not all that familiar with the actress, I haven't paid much attention to the youngsters in probably about 50 years. You know the drill, "Hey! You kids! Get off my lawn!" I can talk for hours about Hill Street Blues or St Elsewhere or ER or Chicago Hope, but I only half watch tv any more.

I'm aping the Fug Girls shamelessly, but in my defense, it did seem there was something oddly ... blurred about Annalynne McCord's expressions whenever she was photographed in connection with the 90201 remake.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1

Best line of the night was Shannon's to Jordan: "Wow, you're really getting a lot of chick action." Cracked me up. She is my favorite character, next to Topher and Drew. She will appear in my spin-off show.

• Love 4
On 8/4/2016 at 6:54 PM, friendperidot said:

I am not all that familiar with the actress, I haven't paid much attention to the youngsters in probably about 50 years. You know the drill, "Hey! You kids! Get off my lawn!" I can talk for hours about Hill Street Blues or St Elsewhere or ER or Chicago Hope, but I only half watch tv any more.

Come and sit at my table, I love Hill Street Blues  and St. Elsewhere!

(The majority of guests on late-nite TV are unknown to me)

Edited by torqy
  • Love 1

Was bitchy intern in the first episode? I don't remember seeing her.  

Who is paying for Brianna's lung transplant?  Are foster children automatically covered by insurance when they go into the system?  A family member of mine had a lung transplant; even with insurance, we still needed to set up a gofundme account because his portion to pay was so expensive. 

Why is Annie shadowing Kenny? 

Since when do drug reps go over your books?  First, isn't that a "Ragosa" job, not an ER doc?  It's certainly not a ER doc's girlfriend's job since she's in drug sales and doesn't even work for the hospital!  I don't care how many degrees she has.  And the outside company that is buying the hospital hired Jessica instead of hiring, I don't know, an actual financial company,  to look into the hospital financials? Give me an effen break!!  This show is sooo ridiculous and stupid! Please cancel this mess already and give Topher his own show.  99% medical stuff, 1% personal drama.  0% TC, Jordan, Annie, depressed intern, and BS storylines!

• Love 2

I might have been more invested in the TC/Jessica break-up (not really, but still) if we actually spent more then a few minutes with them and the character in general.  Either way though, leave it to TC to somehow be on the right on some levels (what she did was a betrayal and I can understand not wanting to be in a relationship with her after that), but I still end up disliking him more, because he goes about it the worst way possible.  Throwing tantrums.  Getting into bar fights.  Just being a dick.  What the fuck ever, TC.  She lied to you, so end it.  No need to to bring chaos everything where you go.  Can't believe I'm saying this, but Jessica probably deserves better.  Then again, their entire relationship started on a hostile note, so they should have known this was going to come back at some point.

Oh, great.  Jordan and Scott are suddenly falling for each other again.  Scott, you idiot.  You have to know that, deep down, you will never replace TC in her eyes, and on some levels, will always just be a replacement to her.  I'm not saying you should stick it with Annie if you don't want to (certainly wouldn't want TC as a brother in-law), but.... I don't know, maybe try dating outside the hospital.

After a false start in the first episode, Briana finally gets her lungs, and that makes Drew happy.  Still think the rug is going to be pulled out from under him, and the adoption will fall through, somehow, because this show loves to make Drew suffer.  At least it was great seeing Sidney again. And D'Avin..... I mean Rick!

Topher now knows he will likely be the first to go if the buyout goes through.  I'm not worried though, because they wouldn't get rid of Topher, right?!  Ken Leung is one of the best things about this!  Unless he finally found a gig that is worthy of his talents...

Took me a second to recognize Bennett.

Hey, Robin Weigert!

The stuff with the poly family wasn't too bad at first, until they just had to add the scene of the wife making out with Jordan, even though Jordan never even hinted she would be interested in that.  I'm sure it was just an excuse to have Jill Flint make-out with an equally hot woman.  Shannon's reaction was probably the most I ever liked that character, at least.  Probably because she's being more jokey, instead of just mean.

• Love 2
On 8/7/2016 at 6:17 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Oh, great.  Jordan and Scott are suddenly falling for each other again.  Scott, you idiot.  You have to know that, deep down, you will never replace TC in her eyes, and on some levels, will always just be a replacement to her.  I'm not saying you should stick it with Annie if you don't want to (certainly wouldn't want TC as a brother in-law), but.... I don't know, maybe try dating outside the hospital.

I'm hoping that if this show sticks around, they pull a Dawson's Creek....and keep the female star away from the whiny , dramatic male lead.  I much prefer Jordan with Scott.  

Edited by VartanFan
On 2016-08-07 at 4:11 PM, juliet73 said:

Was bitchy intern in the first episode? I don't remember seeing her.  

Who is paying for Brianna's lung transplant?  Are foster children automatically covered by insurance when they go into the system?  A family member of mine had a lung transplant; even with insurance, we still needed to set up a gofundme account because his portion to pay was so expensive. 

Why is Annie shadowing Kenny? 

Since when do drug reps go over your books?  First, isn't that a "Ragosa" job, not an ER doc?  It's certainly not a ER doc's girlfriend's job since she's in drug sales and doesn't even work for the hospital!  I don't care how many degrees she has.  And the outside company that is buying the hospital hired Jessica instead of hiring, I don't know, an actual financial company,  to look into the hospital financials? Give me an effen break!!  This show is sooo ridiculous and stupid! Please cancel this mess already and give Topher his own show.  99% medical stuff, 1% personal drama.  0% TC, Jordan, Annie, depressed intern, and BS storylines!

Shannon was in the first episode this season. She hit Paul after he jumped out of a body bag and scared her.

Briana's operation would be covered by the state since she is legally their ward. Its something that can keep kids in care. Since kids with issues like asthma and diabetes are a whole other expense it makes it even harder to find parents who qualify income wise. I've also heard of cases of parents putting their kids into foster care so they can get treatment. It usually more cases of mental health issues but I wonder if perhaps the reason Brianna is in care in the first place is because her parents couldn't afford to treat her CF and abandoned her so she could get treatment.    

On 8/4/2016 at 7:29 PM, Sandman said:

I hope Drew listened when the social worker (whose name you'd think I would know by now. Huh.) told him pretty much what Ohwell points out above. He is only human, and can't expect to be a faultless parent. And yet I think it's pretty much in character for Drew to hold himself to a Never, Ever standard.

Binge-watching continues, and I can't get the multi-quote thing to work for me, so I'll just quote one.  I agree that it's in Drew's character to hold himself to a Never. Ever standard.  Like Kenny said, Drew's the guy who runs into the burning building.

As far-fetched as it is, I love the idea of Topher winning the lottery and buying the hospital.  Completely implausible, but I'd totally check into Topher General. :)

Someone mentioned that TC's spiraling.  TC's been spiraling for three years.  I'm over it, and like someone else said, I'm glad that Drew decked him.

Another person mentioned Rick and the SWAT team.  I'm pretty sure that we're supposed to handwave/forget that Rick's an amputee, because I seriously doubt that an amputee wouldn't be disqualified from the job IRL