Type keyword(s) to search

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (2016) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, ZoqFotPik said:

That dollar bill on Suzie's nightstand was not a note used at anytime in US history. It looked like Andrew Johnson was on the bill. It was featured way too prominently in two scenes to be some kind of prop error. Especially when there were what looked like real $1 bills in the scene with Suzie on the bed.

I'm guessing it fell into the "don't show real money on TV" rule? It was also designed to emphasize the denomination, as in she's doing all this magical counterfeiting... of ones. 

• Love 3

I guess. It's not illegal to film real money though. Most of the time they don't for logistical and security reasons. It seemed unnecessary to prominently feature an obviously fake bill twice if didn't mean anything. They could have shot the scenes differently so that you didn't see the bill so clearly but could still understand what she was doing, even if you don't know exactly what US currency looks like. Also, like I said in my other post, there were what looked like real or at least better fakes in the pile when she's rolling around on them. Maybe I'm just so inclined to look for every little clue and connection on this show that I'm seeing something not there.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MarkHB said:

as in she's doing all this magical counterfeiting... of ones. 

I was dying at the idea of her conjuring up all these one dollar bills. Like, do you know how long it's going to take to get a decent amount of cash that way. lol

Interesting what her husband was saying about how she can't change who she is. I'm getting the impression she's not a very nice person. Or that the accident he referred to was her fault and she killed someone. 

I am SOOOOO happy Dirk, Todd and Farrah are back together. And died laughing at the idea that the inept cops let them out because they were bored. lol Really it was because they desperately needed help. And cop lady, never say "it can't get weirder than this" on this show. Because it can!

Not really feeling Amanda's story yet and missing Bart terribly. But hi Rapunzel! I was hoping you'd show up this ep. And Ken, poor, Ken, WTF is the point of keeping him in a taxi? Oh this delightful, insane, nonsensical show, how I love you so very, very much. 

• Love 5

I had no idea there was a taboo on showing real money. Why is that?

I also thought her conjuring ones was hilarious. But it also speaks to how her life is, generally. Maybe ones are all she had to start the process.

Her husband being so nasty to her, followed by him implying she was not a nice person, was ambiguous to me. If she was really that scary, why wasn't he intimidated and being careful around her before? It's possible she is in fact responsible for something terrible in the past, but it's also possible he's the sort who abuses you and then acts like you're the abuser. Or maybe they're both terrible.

I enjoyed the cop being all on board with the holistic detective idea and Dirk being so excited to finally have someone who understands and accepts him. It's kind of hard, though, that basically all they do is bumble around waiting for something weird to happen. Having five people in the same scene doing that is a bit much for me, even if I like the basic idea of it. It starts to make everyone seem kind of irrelevant. Todd chasing the rabbit while Farrah holds back last week was funny. Having the same thing in a larger crowd somehow crosses a line for me, which I realize doesn't make much sense. By contrast, I prefer the rowdies in a group rather than Amanda with just one. I realize this is on me, though.

At least Ken gets to have the dog as company!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

If she was really that scary, why wasn't he intimidated and being careful around her before?

Given the way her son treats her also, I get the impression maybe she was terrible before the accident, but then, once she was hurt (limp) she was weak and they finally got the upper hand on her and took advantage. But now she's back and the tables are turning. Of course this is all speculation. But she just had a dog possibly killed so she's not a good person, that I know. 

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I enjoyed the cop being all on board with the holistic detective idea and Dirk being so excited to finally have someone who understands and accepts him.

I loved when the cop said the whole holistic thing and Dirk is like "I think I love you". lol

• Love 4
On 10/15/2017 at 1:22 PM, Loandbehold said:

They left the bottle behind, but picked up the pills that had fallen out. There were only about four pills left

I think there were four pills, Farrah grabbed two, left two and left the bottle. 

I thought that moon in the other universe was pretty awesome.

• Love 3
On 10/22/2017 at 9:21 AM, possibilities said:

I had no idea there was a taboo on showing real money. Why is that?

I work in the TV business (there's actually a fake $1 on my desk right now). We almost always use prop money on camera, just because it's easier to deal with. Otherwise you have to track every bill and make sure no one walks off with any. Also, it's "cheaper" to acquire. 200 $1 bills for a scene costs, well, $200. But you can buy a stack of fakes from the Earl Hays Press or just ebay for a fraction of that cost. 

Honestly, the camera was a bit too close to the $1 used in the scene the second time (when she multiplied it). The first shot of it on the nightstand earlier in the episode kind of stuck out, but it was forgivable. The second time it was too obviously fake, but, since it had to be in a rig (they probably needed to stuff a stack of them in front of a leafblower or something to do that effect) they didn't want to replace with real $1s for the closeup.

Legally there are a few options... you can either use fake money or you can "copy" real money but it has to be more or less than 25% (or so, can't remember) from real size. Off-size cash sticks out more than fake bills. Or, yeah, you technically can use real money on screen (I guess as long as no on-set pictures ever get published in which they are real size), if you're willing to take the risk that some disappears.

(I worked on a reality show once with a "$1 million dollar grand prize" and we had a forklift bring out a pallet full of cash, and IIRC, we used a bunch of stacks of off-white/green tinted paper with about $2,000 in real 100s rubber banded to the top of all the stacks. The paperwork and security required to just do that was intense).

Edited by Charlesman
  • Love 8

I'm not sure whether the fantasy realm is "real," or whether it's the result of someone in the "real" world doing something strange. I, too, was somehow comfortable with the time travel body switching overacting storyline, and yet the Scissor Kingdom stretches my suspension of disbelief to the breaking point. 

Somehow I managed to forget Michael Eklund was in this until he showed up, and I was like, "Bobo Del Rey? I thought that was a different show!" Not just the same actor, but the same hair and the straightjacket.

So now the pieces are starting to come together, I think even earlier than last year. I'm thinking that the Mage's Apprentice is Suzie, the Girl Who Sees is Amanda, and I'm really, really hoping that the Ultimate Weapon is Bart.

Speaking of Bart, how did she get cleaned up? I don't question that she could get out of the cell, grab the bell and go back in the cell, but bothering to take a shower seems so out of character for her.

If anyone still has the episode on their Dvr, can you write down the prophecy for us?

On 10/22/2017 at 3:47 PM, Mabinogia said:

Given the way her son treats her also, I get the impression maybe she was terrible before the accident, but then, once she was hurt (limp) she was weak and they finally got the upper hand on her and took advantage. But now she's back and the tables are turning.

Nice call!

• Love 3

"That once the great Dark Wizard found his apprentice no one in Wendemore could defeat him and his army would come like a tide. The only hope to save Wendemore is if the fiercest of foes were united, the great weapon is retrieved and she who sees all will open a door into a dream allowing through a man who with him would bring a a boy, the boy who would save our world."

So at the beginning of the episode there was someone drawing the fires of Wendemore in crayon. Was that a boy? Is the boy a young boy because the blonde woman's teenage son seemed to have blonde hair with a pinkish tinge? I doubt he's the boy but given the interconnectedness of all things it could mean something.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, talktalk said:

It could be. And whose travel bag is in that room? Why does it have Amanda's prescription bottle in it? Could that person has something to do with their disappearing act?

It was her brother Todd's bag as that was where Todd and Farrah had been staying.

• Love 2

My name is Panto Trost, Lord Prince of the Valley of Inglenook in the Land of Wendimoor. I came to your world through the Pool of the Empty Throne, with help from Wakti Wapnasi, forest witch of the Santi Santiga, who guides the Bofuki Nepoo. She foretold the prophecy I seek to enact, that once the great dark wizard found his apprentice, no one in Wendimoor could defeat him, and his army would come like a tide. The only hope to save Wendimoor is if the fiercest of foes were united, the great weapon is retrieved, and she-who-sees-all opened a door into a dream, allowing through a man, who, with him, would bring a boy... the boy who would save our world. The man who could bring the boy, the man who could save my family, my world... his name is Dirk Gently.

The boy is the son of Jeppum and the brother of Litzibitz.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The boy is the son of Jeppum and the brother of Litzibitz.

Thank you very much for getting the whole piece (I wonder how many takes it took to get through that)!  But I think the son of Jeppum and brother of Litzibitz is Panto, who had left to find Dirk Gently.

• Love 1

Anyone think maybe the boy is Todd? Maybe it will tie into his having pararibulitis, like that's why he got it because he'll somehow need it to fight the dark wizard. IDK how but right now the only "boy" option is probably that obnoxious teenage brat and I do NOT want it to be him, unless he dies.

• Love 3

Yes, Panto is the son of Jeppum and brother of Litzibitz.  Didn't Litzibitz say that the boy was the son of the other people that were attacking them?  Attacking them because they thought THEY had taken the boy and Panto went to find Dirk Gently in order to bring the boy back?

6 hours ago, MarkHB said:

Thank you very much for getting the whole piece (I wonder how many takes it took to get through that)!  But I think the son of Jeppum and brother of Litzibitz is Panto, who had left to find Dirk Gently.

It didn't take any rewinds or writing, I just found a website that provides subtitles for TV shows then copy & pasted. I thought the speech was so silly when he spoke it, I wanted to include the silly names bits.

I noticed the father and daughter had pink hair, so the person they were talking about should have pink hair as well. That seems to line up with Panto. My bad.

Is Wakti Wapnasi, forest witch of the Santi Santiga the person who freed Dirk or was it one of the test subjects from Blackwing?

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Anyone think maybe the boy is Todd? Maybe it will tie into his having pararibulitis, like that's why he got it because he'll somehow need it to fight the dark wizard. 

Good catch, Mabinogia. I also had this feeling from this episode.

Dirk being so sad, thinking why it has come to this ... and at the end of the episode, while the "pink hair guy" is talking, when suddenly there is this one strange surprised look Todd gives Dirk.

As if in this episode Dirk was hoping that it is all happening for some reason, as he promised to Todd at the beginning, for some good reason, that all is connected:) ... with some sense to it, the way the have met and so on, that they will not just be running around forever - with no reward, or happy ending, whatsoever!

Now that Todd is sick on the contrary to that, that the Patrick Spring story was maybe not the end to it...

Relating to the age of the boy, also of course with the fighting in the kingdom, we don't know for how long it has been going on (or when the child was lost?), and next to that there is the question when they travel through the portal, how the time passes in the kingdom or whatsoever.

I could totally see it - Todd being the boy, he still kinda looks like that in a way  .... a young man fighting to unite kingdoms and destroy an evil force .......... why does that remind me of Frodo?!

So I can totally see it :)

Edited by bara007
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

Is Wakti Wapnasi, forest witch of the Santi Santiga the person who freed Dirk or was it one of the test subjects from Blackwing?

In Ep 2, Dirk said she was named Mona and was an original Blackwing subject. (Just checked the name on IMDB, and the character is listed as "Mona Wilder.")

So now I think the Boy is the one with Amanda, and it makes more sense that they would want to recover a vanished one of their own than some random punk from another world.

Although, "it makes more sense" is NOT the way to try to read this show.

• Love 1

Calling it now: "the boy" created the other world entirely based on his imagination and the drawings. He saw his father being murdered by the (mom?) with the scissors, and being an undiscovered Blackwing person he got trapped in the otherworld of his imagination. "Purple People Eater" was playing at the time, thus the soundtrack and the monster. The rest was his house as imagined by a very small boy (looooong hallways, an unending telephone cord, toys, and Christmas). He made up the Murphy bed as a way to get in and out of his imaginary land. Maybe?

god I love this show. Please let it be renewed for a series 3. Please please please!

• Love 16
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:
2 hours ago, meira.hand said:

In the photo on the reddit page, who is that woman between Dirk and Todd?

After looking at the full picture

http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/tvbanners/14520015/p14520015_b_v8_aa.jpg

the only significant female character left is Lydia Spring from season 1 (the missing girl that swapped body with the dog). I googled the actress picture and it seems to fit (unlike the others, she does not look all that different than her character).

To go along with the promo image, here's one with the Blackwing icons:

C0ifx73UcAAGd3u.jpg

The green ones are the Rowdy 3, Bart and Dirk, and the blue one is the dot in the I in the logo.  Some of the others appear in the promo image but except for Dirk's don't align with their intended people.

The orange ones

Spoiler

are supposed to be in this season, per the page I got this from.

Does anyone know any of the others?

On 11/4/2017 at 11:44 PM, MarkHB said:

So now I think the Boy is the one with Amanda, and it makes more sense that they would want to recover a vanished one of their own than some random punk from another world.

Although, "it makes more sense" is NOT the way to try to read this show.

Didn't they explicitly say this last episode and this episode?  Litzibitz said to her father that the Dengdamors thought THEY (the Trosts) had kidnapped "the boy" and then specified his name "Farson."  And that Panto, her brother, was trying to find Dirk Gently who could bring back "the boy" (a.k.a. Farson) and help prevent the war between the Dengdamors and the Trosts.

Then this episode we meet Farson and the Kellum Knights talk about how the Mage had them kidnap him in order to get the Dengdamors and the Trosts to fight each other.

Did the Cardenas have a child?  I'm thinking that their child thought up Wendimoor and somehow brought it to life.  And maybe he's grown up and now he's The Mage.

Edited by Adira

In that case, it seems like they need to bring back the Mage as a child, since he's the architect of the situation. The boy might then imply time travel to before the Cardenas murders? Maybe he's at Blackwing, one of the frozen subjects.

Edited by possibilities

I agree, I think the Cardenas child is a Blackwing kid, and his Blackwing talent was that his power of imagination was so strong he created his own fantasy world. He disappeared into wherever the Cardenases and their car went off to for the last 30-40 years. It's up to Dirk to figure out how to bring him back to the real world so he can resume control of the fantasy world, which has run amok since he left. 

Edited by Charlesman

But haven't the Cardenas been dead/missing for 30-40 years or something?  Whereas the original Blackwing isn't THAT old, right?  Because Dirk is maybe 25-35 and was in Blackwing.  Or do we think Blackwing has been around long before they even had Dirk?  So I don't think the Cardenas' kid could've been in Blackwing?