Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Episode 3

• Start Topic

I didn't really connect with the prison storyline, and I was disappointed along with them when their tickets to "My Fair Lady" didn't materialize. Shelagh's hope for a baby continues to break my heart. There is still no spark between Alex and Jenny. Why don't Trixie and Cynthia have boyfriends? This episode didn't seem to go anywhere, and there are only a few episodes left!

(Stella) insists that she's pregnant with her fiance Joe's baby, but when that turns out not to be true (and by the way, was I the only one waiting for the reveal that her baby's actual father was the cute prison chaplain?),

Not me, but I was seeing some sparks between the prison chaplain and Trixie.  That actor was way too cute to just have a walk-through part.

Was I the only one thinking that Sister Julienne had some back-story that made this prison rotation a tough one for her?  Could she have had few years of misspent youth?  Did she let her own baby go?  Twice I saw her look reflectively when only the camera (and us) were on her.

I knew those tickets would be fake, just as I knew those scammers were about to feel the wrath of God when Sister Evangeline saw them! They didn't stand a chance! 

Love Evangeline when she is being a bad-ass and not just cranky.  Sometimes I wish that I could rent us to kick some butt of the b___'s in my world.

The Shelagh childless plot is just too cruel to me.  Also, the power that the husband has over the wife in those times makes me cringe (although Patrick does a good job of not flaunting it).  

Something is wrong in a world where the doctor and the prison matron are the only two smokers.

Oh, poor Shelagh. But, doesn't she have an absolute brick In Dr. Turner? He's the best breaker of bad news ever.

And, yes, the chaplain was totally eyeing Trixie, and I bet some not terribly genuine theater tickets that that's not the last we see of him!

• Love 1

Not me, but I was seeing some sparks between the prison chaplain and Trixie.  That actor was way too cute to just have a walk-through part.

Was I the only one thinking that Sister Julienne had some back-story that made this prison rotation a tough one for her?  Could she have had few years of misspent youth?  Did she let her own baby go?  Twice I saw her look reflectively when only the camera (and us) were on her.

Love Evangeline when she is being a bad-ass and not just cranky.  Sometimes I wish that I could rent us to kick some butt of the b___'s in my world.

The Shelagh childless plot is just too cruel to me.  Also, the power that the husband has over the wife in those times makes me cringe (although Patrick does a good job of not flaunting it).  

Something is wrong in a world where the doctor and the prison matron are the only two smokers

Doesn't Trixie smoke?  Or maybe she just seems like that "type." 

Did you see the interviews with the cast afterward, in which they were asked what they'd like to take home with them? Everyone gave typical "oh, I covet that lamp" or "I adore the chair" answers, and then Sister Monica Joan (Judy Parfitt) comes on and says, "There are one or two good-looking young men about the set I'd like to take home."

Sister Monica Joan, stop!

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Why don't Trixie and Cynthia have boyfriends?

They might be too busy with the mid-wifery work. Anyhow, that cute prison parson/curate gave Trixie the eye. Besides he's cute.

I thought the head lice infesting Jenny and Cynthia was very real too.

I particularly love this post, Tara, because it just hits so nicely on all the main things that make this show so enjoyable.  The stories with the various mothers are usually very interesting, often (like, all the time) affect me emotionally, and almost always make me think/learn/understand things about the life of that era and the life of the poor in general that I otherwise may not have considered.  But surrounding all of that episode-to-episode plot is this lovely sense of devotion to their job/calling and camaraderie among the midwives and nuns.  They are such a great support system for each other and they are all such distinct personalities yet their mutual affection is pretty much always evident and beautiful to see.  And the actresses do a really wonderful job showing it.

I haven't watched or read interviews or behind-the-scenes material for this show so I don't know what the relationship is like among all the actresses.  Their friendships on screen seem so natural, though, that I think I'd be very disappointed to learn that the actresses don't get along wonderfully as well.  

• Love 1
Sister Monica Joan (Judy Parfitt) comes on and says, "There are one or two good-looking young men about the set I'd like to take home."

Oh to be an English actress of a certain age!  Can't you imagine a great luncheon with Sister Monica Joan and Violet Crawley from Downton Abbey?  Or maybe I meant Judy Parfitt and Maggie Smith?  Can't decide- both would be amazing.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 1

I, too, think that there is something deeper in Sr. Julienne's past. Jenny Agutter did such a wonderful job with just a look in her eyes.

Edited to add: I don't like the prison parson. Something  about him gives me the creeps. Like he's responsible for more than one prison pregnancy. Stay away, Trixie!!

Edited by happyhumanist
  • Love 2

This was a rather meh episode for me, full of annoyances:

- Trixie's hairdo annoys me.  I think she'd look better with dark hair if she's going to wear her hair that short because the blonde hair just makes her eyes bulge out even more and it's distracting.

- Jenny annoys me.  She is a cold fish, and for the life of me I can't understand these fellows falling in love with her. 

- The actress who played the pregnant prison inmate with the fake fiancé annoyed me.  She plays an annoying character on EastEnders as well, where she's been caught lying and stealing.  I just never liked the actress. 

I do like Shelagh and the doctor husband the most though, and the handyman and the "mousy" nurse whose names I can't recall.

Doesn't Trixie smoke?  Or maybe she just seems like that "type."

Yes she does, and she was smoking in the bedroom in the scene where the girls were getting ready, I believe.

Oh, this show. One moment I'm sighing at how broadly drawn everything is (Why didn't they just bang a gong and flash Future! Plot! Point! on the screen when the priest glanced at Trixie?) and the next I'm sobbing convulsively into a sofa cushion at the miracle of new life and the triumph of human love. And then I'm shouting at the TV, "Get 'em, Sister Evangeline! Go Medieval on their asses!"

I must have misread something.  When Sister Julienne was looking at her calendar, I thought she realized that the pregnant prisoner could not have gotten pregnant when she claimed and that she had gotten pregnant while in prison. Then that Priest came to mind.  Was he responsible?  I guess not.  Funny, other got a similar vibe from him. 

• Love 1

Agreed, Portia. I alternate between rolling my eyes at the show's twee-ness and tidiness (Cleanest.Prison.Ever!) and then wondering why my eyes are leaking. Nerd Alert: "My Fair Lady" played at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane in the West End, not whatever gorgeous Edwardian "Theatre" building the location coordinators found. But I'm, um, picking nits...

Oh to be an English actress of a certain age!  Can't you imagine a great luncheon with Sister Monica Joan and Violet Crawley from Downton Abbey?  Or maybe I meant Judy Parfitt and Maggie Smith?  Can't decide- both would be amazing.

Add Diana Rigg/Lady Olenna from Game of Thrones to that luncheon! :-)

• Love 2

I saw "The Producers" at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane, but it's been enough years back that I wasn't certain if the exterior shot was of that one (which was mentioned), or a different building altogether.

I'm happy Sister Evangeline got Fred's/the midwives' money back.  Talk about the wrath of God!

Also happy that Sister Julienne was able to find a placement for the inmate and her baby.  But Shelagh - no baby for her, it seems.  But I'm satisfied that they didn't go the pregnancy, will she lose the baby or her life with her.  Going through that with Chummy was enough!

Why don't Trixie and Cynthia have boyfriends?

In real life, 'Cynthia' was Helen Worth's lifelong friend.  She was described as being plain in appearance but with a fantastically sexy voice that captivated men.  She married a vicar so it looks a bit like Trixie is possibly getting her story..

• Love 1

I just knew the tickets were fake but kept hoping maybe somehow they would actually work--but it was wonderful to end with Sr. E giving the con artists the business.

I love Chummy so much and Fred--him realizing she misses the getting ready part so coming by early for it.