Type keyword(s) to search

Mary Carillo Learns To Samba: Adventures Of A Girl Reporter

(edited)

Because Mary doesn't deserve to be shoved in with the announcers.

From the NBC Olympics website:

Carillo has spent nearly three weeks traversing Brazil to film her travelogues ahead of her 13th Olympic assignment and 10th with NBC.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 2
On 7/1/2016 at 7:45 PM, greendog78 said:

I actually like her fluffy cultural reports. And her occasional rant about badminton.

I LOVE Mary! I watch CBC so I didn't even know if she was in Rio. That badminton bit is the most entertaining thing ever done on NBC Olympic coverage. Please make a poor Canadian happy and post any of her awesome rants.

• Love 1

I've said in other threads that I'm not a big fan of the puff pieces we get during the Olympics, but that does not apply to Mary Carrilo.  I really love her pieces and sad not to see them so far.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, briochetwist said:

I LOVE Mary! I watch CBC so I didn't even know if she was in Rio. That badminton bit is the most entertaining thing ever done on NBC Olympic coverage. Please make a poor Canadian happy and post any of her awesome rants.

Have you seen this one?

• Love 3

Was Torino the only games where they did Olympic Ice? Because I think it was only available on demand or something and it wasn't until the games were almost over that I finally found this show that everyone was talking about. But then I don't think they ever did it again.

6 hours ago, briochetwist said:

Thanks. Maybe I'll switch over from CBC to NBC now to try and catch it.

Following Leslie on twitter and Snapchat you will probably see more of Mary than on NBC.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, bosawks said:

Does anyone know of the Mary Carillo who produced the American Experience episode of "The Boys of 36" is our Mary?

I think so - this story from The Hollywood Reporter on the programs says "...sports documentarian Margaret Grossi (Ted Williams, McEnroe/Borg: Fire & Ice) and sports journalist Mary Carillo on board as producers."

• Love 2

I enjoy Mary so much more with her Olympic work than her regular tennis announcing job. She often sounds a little drunk then, but who wouldn't be if they had to spend that much time with McEnroe.

For all NBC's talk of packaging the Olympics, they've missed a big chance without more Mary segments.

• Love 4

Finally! Mary got a segment on Seacrest's show. I've been watching it every damn night; I'm glad it paid off. She and Leslie Jones watched and played table tennis, and Mary had a little live chat with Ryan. Part of it can be seen here.

ETA: Here's the full thing.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 4

I swear I searched the NBCOlympics site for Mary in the recent past and came up empty, but I just did it again and found some things. Then I broadened my search. Buckle up!

Rio

2004: The Famous Badminton Rant

2006: the already-posted Guido the Zamboni Guy

2008: Eric Liddell (Chariots of Fire runner and his connection to China)

2010: Polar bears, logging, plus these, which I can't get to work: Mountie Academy, Haida Gwaii, dog sledding

2012: Ready To Take On The UK (the intro shows flashes of past Mary pieces), Mary before meeting 30 Rock's Judah Friedlander, who is a good ping-pong player, and Mary and Judah playing

2014: Vodka

2016: Mary Cat-rillo at the Kitten Summer Games, Tennis

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 5
On 8/12/2016 at 10:22 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

Was Torino the only games where they did Olympic Ice? Because I think it was only available on demand or something and it wasn't until the games were almost over that I finally found this show that everyone was talking about. But then I don't think they ever did it again.

Yeah, Torino was the only time they did OI. I read a Mary interview a while back (maybe during Vancouver?), and she said everyone loved doing it, but IIRC she said something to the effect of the network decided it was cost prohibitive and decided to reformat it into the usual news desk show. I vaguely recall this during the Vancouver games.

So sad, I absolutely LOVED OI.

29 minutes ago, briochetwist said:

NO!!! The Mary Carillo pieces on NBC are only available to American viewers...

I feel your pain!  My eleventy billion year old laptop makes trying to view them virtually impossible.  :-(

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 1

Yay! The table tennis with Leslie Jones last night and a piece with her tonight with the Girl From Ipanema. There is something about that song...I'm a fashion doll collector and most of my dolls are from one company and are 16", but several years ago, I bought one of their 22" dolls (twice the size of Barbie), as soon as I got her I started singing The Girl from Ipanema. I don't usually name my dolls, but this one is named Astrud for Astrud Gilberto, the original singer of the song. If I had know the real woman's name or had bothered to look it up, the doll would be named Helo.

• Love 1

Today is the last day for Mary Carillo's Badminton Rant on the homepage's King of Disparate TV Things Mountain. Either it wins and officially becomes one of the greatest things in TV history, or it loses to a below-average joke from Arrested Development.

• Love 2

That's going to be a tight race.

I saw Mary's "The Girl From Ipanema" last night. Bob Costas introduced it by saying it was possibly his favorite of everything Mary's ever done. I think that is a little extreme, but then Bob seemed to have a lot of affection for that song. Mary kept repeating that he knew all the words, like she thought it was odd, heh. It doesn't seem to be online yet, and I'm sorry to those who can't access the NBC videos.

• Love 2

Nothing tops badminton, but last night's story was great and Bob definitely loved it.  I enjoy moments like that and the Simone/Aly interview when you can tell Bob loves whomever he is talking to.

Last night Mary was on Seacrest again, with a piece about street art (graffiti), which touched a little on music and architecture, too. There was an artist on Ryan's set, and the three of them talked a bit. I thought Mary's questions to the artist were much better than Ryan's, who at times seemed to be asking something unnecessarily, just to get his voice in there, but maybe I'm biased. :) http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/sao-paulos-endless-pavement-creative-wonderland

"The Girl From Ipanema" is still not on NBC's site, yet things no one has mentioned here are. For example, http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/mary-carillo-discovers-beauty-kite-fighting & http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/mary-carillo-learns-about-brazils-beginnings

These videos (and I say this about the Tara and Johnny soap opera one, too) have done such a good job making it look like the people who don't speak the same language do. Does that make sense? There's no visible translator, people are looking at each other when they speak, and the editing is not obvious. I wonder if the Americans, at least, have had simultaneous translations through an earpiece or something. Anyway, I think it's been well handled.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/what-makes-brazilians-boo - Who is this guy with Mary? I like him. Given Mary's association with tennis, I'm surprised to see no tennis in the booing clips, because it was definitely present.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Valentine said:

I love Mary on her own. Leslie Jones is just too much for me. I hope she will not be at the next Olympics, especially during Mary's time.

ITA.  I've seen enough of Leslie Jones to last MY lifetime.  Give me Mary any day, and twice on Sundays.

• Love 4

Mary's favela/kite fighting piece just aired after the bronze volleyball (nonlive) match on NBC. Interestingly, she seems to have done a kite piece in 2008.

Crazy for kites - Mary Carillo brings a kite of her own for some high-flying fun. But it's not all games as kite fighting is also in the air.

That's from http://www.2008.nbcolympics.com/video/modules/channels/type=features/_list.html where the videos don't work for me. Here are the others:

Logo's meaning, significance - The logo for the 2008 Olympic Games is a figure in motion, born in the ancient past. Mary Carillo meets the man behind the mark to discuss its meaning -- both historic and personal.

Intrepid Diner - Dining in Beijing is not for the faint of heart. Mary Carillo samples some rather exotic and unusual Chinese foods and shares her impressions.

Why girls fly so high - Acrobatics have long provided a rare and unique outlet for women in China. Mary Carillo visits a rural acrobatic school to speak with performers in waiting.

How big, how high - Mary Carillo explores some of China's noteworthy engineering feats, including the world's largest damn, a 300 mph bullet train and the iconic Great Wall.

Panda procreation, preservation - Mary Carillo looks at the "notable results" of China's effort to increase its panda bear population.

A powerful healer - Used to treat a wide variety of ailments, Chinese acupuncture proved to span the cultural divide in the 70s when the country first began to open to the world.

I watched a Johnny and Tara piece, and it was so much about them. It really illustrated what is so great about Mary. She isn't trying to keep all the attention on herself. She lets her humor come through in not a "look at me, look at me" way. She comes off as endearing and funny, rather than as an attention whore.