Type keyword(s) to search

The $100,000 Pyramid - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Debi mazur is the worst player ever. 

The 2nd round guy could have won the money if he didn't list things that are metaphorically rough--a tackle, a hangover. He needed to be more literal--sandpaper, cheese grater, calloused hands or feet. His own fault he didn't win.

Edited by Blissfool
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Jessie was a good player. 

I think for yelling, I thought the clues were pretty good.  But they could have said "name of a dog, Old---"

I thought he frowned.  But how he never thought to say "opposite of smile" is beyond me.

I agree on both pieces. I don't know why he didn't say opposite and his frown was sad not a full frown. 

How do you give clues for 'yelling'? I thought that was really hard.

"It's another word for screaming, or talking really loudly."

The other one the contestant couldn't get was "business" and I thought the clue should have been "That's none of your . . ."

Debi mazur is the worst player ever. 

Except in one round which theoretically should have been extremely difficult where she had to come up with names and got all seven in 15 seconds flat. I guess political figures is her forte.

Either that or it was just a case of the celebrity and the player not connecting and being on a different wavelength. She wasn't good, but - she wasn't the worst. 

23 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I thought he frowned.  But how he never thought to say "opposite of smile" is beyond me.

I thought it was funny when Wendy answered "Bored" and other words that indicated his face looked blah. To me -- and Wendy, apparently -- he never looked like he was frowning.

9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

"It's another word for screaming, or talking really loudly." 

I was thinking there must be a something else that would lead someone to "yelling." Some expression or phrase. Certainly someone could get the word by listing synonyms, but I was hoping for really good clue. Someone here said like Old Yeller, so that's a possibility. Maybe it's just, like you said, "talking really loudly."

Except in one round which theoretically should have been extremely difficult where she had to come up with names and got all seven in 15 seconds flat. I guess political figures is her forte.

Names can often be really tough, but the Republican names were so easy because the first names so easily led into the last name. Ronald... Reagan. Arnold... Schwartnegger. And so forth. 

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Names can often be really tough, but the Republican names were so easy because the first names so easily led into the last name. Ronald... Reagan. Arnold... Schwartnegger. And so forth. 

Yep.  The combination that the members mentioned were very well known and the clue made it a pretty easy category. And they were last names, weren't they?  I think it'd be harder if it were something like "names that start with B". Something like "Brian" means the clue giver would have to think of someone famous whose first name is Brian. And they'd be pulling from many different subjects so the receiver can't always focus on a group of people.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think it'd be harder if it were something like "names that start with B". 

Didn't they just use that (or a different letter) as a winners circle category?  (That way was too easy. A lot of times it seems they want to give away the money).

Another one they got stuck on was "things in a bottle" - all the clue giver could think of was things like milk and ketchup which just makes you think of drinks or condiments. I kept thinking "Jeannie!" or "Sting's Message!"

• Love 1

Was last night's show a repeat? Missed it the first time around. Erin Andrews has to go quickly, she's not co-hosting. here. And Michael needs to pay closer attention & steer the play back as quickly as possible, i.e., trampoline for tambourine. And how does "prehistoric animals" qualify as a winners circle clue for "dinosaurs"? As much as I was never a fan of Dick Clark as Pyramid host, he needs to be resurrected ASAP. 

I know that this was filmed months ago, but associating Usher and anything related to sex right now is hilariously cringe worthy. 

And yet Von somehow managed to win the first round despite blanking on BARACK. I...can't.  

• Love 2

Seriously.  I have been watching the Pyramid in nearly all it's forms since the 80s (fuck off, Donny Osmond).  In all that time, I never saw an episode where I thought the celebrity was deliberately tanking a round. Until now, with Usher smirking his way to a pathetic 1 out of 7 after perfect scores in the first two categories.  "Fortunately", I stuck around for the second round and... he's just a colossal fucking moron.  Von Miller was only marginally better, and if what Miller said at the beginning of the episode about watching older episodes on YouTube to prepare, and THIS is how good he was as a result, then I shudder to think how bad he'd have been if he hadn't prepared.  Without a doubt the worst episode this version's produced so far.

The second round was a little better although it was clear early on that the male contestant was totally outmatched by the female contestant.  Shame she kept freezing up both times she was in the Winner's Circle or she might have won the second attempt - the first was just painful.

"Crucifixion. Natural childbirth. Emergency surgery. Stepping in lava."

"Things that hurt?"

"Tonight's episode of The $100,000 Pyramid..."

"Things that are excruciating!" (Celebration ensues...)

Man, that whole thing was just awful.  Probably the worst full episode I've seen since the show came on last year.  Granted, some of the Winner's Circle categories were really hard, but still... ugh.

Worst episode so far. You would think with Usher being a singer and traveling to a lot of hotels he would nail that category and not blow a chance at the Winner's Circle for that lady. How the hell did Von not know Obama's first name? My reaction definitely mirrored Usher and Michael. 

Von wasn't the best but he would've won in the Winner's Circle if he had a better clue. 

Justin Hartley was good in the Winner's Circle. Like Von, the contestant blew it. 

I got the distinct impression that Usher hasn't been in the plebeian sections of a hotel for a very long time.  If they say "where you are when you go into the hotel" and they say "the concierge...."

• Love 1

Ugh. I wish they would quit inviting celebrities who don't know how to play the game! I don't care if they have to have Kathy Najimy and Rosie O'Donnell on every week, they need to stop inviting people just because they are easy gets or know somebody or whatever the hell made them ask Von Miller. Look, I'm sure he's a nice guy but he had no idea how the game works! In the first round, in the Winner's Circle he kept saying "I'm a window" "I'm that" "I'm this" - clearly he was under the impression that the clue giver was describing something he was supposed to be. So he was never going to get "things you swallow" because he thought it was supposed to be a thing he was supposed to be. And then I guess someone took him aside before the next round and told him it wasn't necessarily things he was supposed to be . . . just things. But that didn't really help either because he'd never get "things you put on your skin" because he was looking for one specific thing.

If you don't understand the game, stay home.

And I'm sick of this arbitrary and inconsistent judging. I can't believe they didn't give her "things on playing cards" and she had to specifically say the word "suit." That's ridiculous; we've seen the judges give them passes just on saying one word in the entire category before. No way in hell she should have been required to say the word "suits." Absurd. When every single celebrity gets a pass on saying one-word answers to "things a such-and-such would say" then they don't give it to them when they say "things on playing cards" instead of "suits?" {headsmack}

The contestants in the second show just weren't really up to the task either. Don't know disco? Or who Ruth Bader Ginsberg are? Holy crap.

• Love 6

I have a feeling that Usher was stumped on "ciao" because he didn't know what the heck it said. Oh, Usher, pretty doesn't last forever.

At the Winner's Circle the lady was stuck on water for Things You Swallow. Food, anyone? Your own saliva?

Edited by Blissfool
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Blissfool said:

At the Winner's Circle the lady was stuck on water for Things You Swallow. Food, anyone? Your own saliva?

I thought "your pride" was a pretty good clue.  

Usher was a huge WTF.  How could you do so well on the first 2 categories and completely tank that last one?  

4 hours ago, Fable said:

I thought "your pride" was a pretty good clue.  

Usher was a huge WTF.  How could you do so well on the first 2 categories and completely tank that last one?  

I agree "pride" was a good one. 

I, however, think first you need to give a few tangible clues. Then, using a different tone of voice throw in the abstract. Don't know if this makes sense, but I've seen it done many times and it seems to work. This lady was only saying, "water....water...water...your pride...water..." It wasn't working.

Pride was a good clue, but just pride and water doesn't cut it. You gotta get a few things in there that you literally swallow (a drink, your chewed food, pills) before you throw 'pride' in there. Bridge was a good one. Oh, 'a bitter pill.' A dose of medicine. 

Usher and Von Miller were so bad. I was esp cringing during Von's turns. But Usher not knowing what to say for 'ciao' was embarrassing because, like Blissful said, he clearly didn't know what the word was.

Chrissy was so good, at both giving and receiving. 

In the Winner's Circle, particularly the first time, Tammy spoke soooo slowly and deliberately. It was really weird with the card suit category. You just come out and says, "Hearts, clubs, diamonds, spades." No need to draw it out.

I did think her clue of "a DMV line" was fantastic for Things that are Long.

After the first Mystery 7 was played, Michael said it was things people often have just one of. That was weird. Tongue? Yes, people often just have one of those.

• Love 1

Yeah, I'm starting to hate this show. So many of these celebrities are so awful that it's just uncomfortable to watch. Last year on "Match Game," there was an episode with Leslie Jones where she went off on some celeb who gave a bad answer, "This is this woman (the contestant)'s life!" I keep thinking of that while watching this. If you can't play the game, keep your ass home. These people need the money! Stop screwing with their lives!

Leslie needs to come back. She knew how to play and took it seriously. There isn't nearly enough of that on the show anymore.

Looking at the listings (http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch/100000-pyramid/listings/) it's interesting that this was originally the 4th episode and scheduled for July 2 before getting pushed back. They must have known it was terrible, but they might as well have burned it off on a holiday weekend.

Also, there's an episode listed as a possible rerun of 2x01 back in June but with different celebrities (Tracee Ellis Ross, Iliza Shlesinger, Cedric, Joshua Malina) that hasn't aired yet. I wonder how terrible it must be.

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 3

I, however, think first you need to give a few tangible clues. Then, using a different tone of voice throw in the abstract. Don't know if this makes sense, but I've seen it done many times and it seems to work. This lady was only saying, "water....water...water...your pride...water..." It wasn't working.

Nothing was going to help because Von Miller didn't understand how it worked. He was under the impression he was supposed to name a specific thing, like "pills" or "liquids" or "food" or something like that. He didn't understand he was supposed to connect the dots and say what all these things had in common. He thought it was just going to be a thing.

I remember reading that when Martha Stewart and Snoop Dogg (?) were on the show, they did practice rounds before taping so they could get the hang of the game. The show must have abandoned that practice, or else Von Miller declined to participate, or didn't have time. 

On 8/7/2017 at 8:40 PM, Blissfool said:

The 2nd round guy could have won the money if he didn't list things that are metaphorically rough--a tackle, a hangover. He needed to be more literal--sandpaper, cheese grater, calloused hands or feet. His own fault he didn't win.

"A scraggly beard" (along with sandapaper) was the one I came up with.

On 8/8/2017 at 10:59 AM, iMonrey said:

The other one the contestant couldn't get was "business" and I thought the clue should have been "That's none of your . . ."

Or "Monkey..."

On 8/14/2017 at 9:40 AM, iMonrey said:

Don't know disco? Or who Ruth Bader Ginsberg are? Holy crap.

"Donna Summers and a big mirror ball on the ceiling" for disco, and "baseball player Babe..." for Ruth (not everyone knows Supreme Court justices.

On 8/14/2017 at 8:42 PM, peeayebee said:

After the first Mystery 7 was played, Michael said it was things people often have just one of. That was weird. Tongue? Yes, people often just have one of those.

"skull" was there too.  I suppose a cojoined twin might have two skulls (although they usually are two distinct people) and someone with a bifurcated tongue has two of those.  Not even going to touch having two families!

On 8/15/2017 at 9:47 AM, iMonrey said:

I remember reading that when Martha Stewart and Snoop Dogg (?) were on the show, they did practice rounds before taping so they could get the hang of the game. The show must have abandoned that practice, or else Von Miller declined to participate, or didn't have time. 

There's nothing keeping a celeb from practicing, if not with the other celeb, then with family and friends.

On 8/17/2017 at 8:38 AM, peeayebee said:

jhlipton, at first I thought you meant "That's none of your monkey."

LOL

Blacklist Michael fucking Rapaport, or at least give his civilian partners some tasers and/or pepper spray for the next time he starts flailing and screaming when things start going to hell for him.  Also, start getting not just celebrities who can play the game worth a damn, but also contestants who can as well.  Casting based on personality instead of actual game ability has NEVER worked for any game show that I can recall.

Speaking of the contestants, is it just me or are the male contestants in general just much better than the female ones this season?  The only two I can recall who made it to the top of the Pyramid so far was the one with Aaron Rodgers and the one with Apolo Ohno, and meanwhile two or three male contesants have swept the Winner's Circle both times for the max of $150K.

• Love 2
On 8/14/2017 at 11:42 PM, peeayebee said:

I did think her clue of "a DMV line" was fantastic for Things that are Long.

Well not all states call that agency the DMV.  We have SoS for Secretary of State - under which auto registrations, licenses etc fall under.

Speaking of Apolo - he sucked so bad but he did win his partner the 50k so I guess he did his job.

I agree that the celebs are really bad with the exception of a few.  Rosie comes to mind.  Back in the day the celebs on any game show knew their stuff.

7 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Well not all states call that agency the DMV.  We have SoS for Secretary of State - under which auto registrations, licenses etc fall under.

Speaking of Apolo - he sucked so bad but he did win his partner the 50k so I guess he did his job.

I agree that the celebs are really bad with the exception of a few.  Rosie comes to mind.  Back in the day the celebs on any game show knew their stuff.

We call it the MVD in Arizona,  which is a stupid name. But if given the DMV clue, I'd know what they meant. With these dumbass contestants and celebs, I'm not sure. 

• Love 1

Rachel Dratch looked totally freaked out by the male contestant and his he-man imitations. He couldn't even give her a hug when they won the $50,000, he was stomping around and grunting so much. No wonder she stayed close to Michael during the closing credits.

The male contestant in the second game was great. I hope he won enough to have the wedding he wants. His statement that he couldn't get the clues for mistress because he was gay was the funniest of the night ( although closely followed by the woman contestant crossing herself while giving the clue for "rabbi." and Michael Strahan's face when she did.)

• Love 1
On 8/2/2017 at 1:29 PM, Lovecat said:

I think he may have had it in his head that you're not allowed to make sounds when giving clues.  That's the only reasonable explanation, because seriously, one good "sssssssss!" would've gotten the job done.

On 8/3/2017 at 4:53 AM, Lovecat said:

I would think that "ssssssss" would be ok, or just making a hissing/spitting sound way back in your throat, like a cat, but "hissssssss" would get buzzed, because it's essentially the word. Sam with a melodic "mm-mm-mm-mmmmmm" being ok for humming, but not "hummm-mmm-mmm-mmm."  It's a really fine line to walk, and probably hard to parse while you're in the heat of clue-giving!

"What a snake says", followed by "What a sssnake ssays" would be a good clue.

The SNL stars/former stars seem to be better in general than other celebs.  It's probably because they're used to improv and having to think on their feet.

Good point. I thought all of the celebrities this week were an improvement over last week's (although, admittedly, that's a low bar to cross). Margaret Cho wasn't too bad either. "Characters that are green" was a tough category. I was able to come up with Shrek besides Kermit the Frog but off the top of my head I really had to think for awhile to come up with any others. Don't know that I would have thought of Oscar the Grouch if Michael hadn't suggested it, and even then you might just be thinking Sesame Street characters. 

4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

"Characters that are green" was a tough category. I was able to come up with Shrek besides Kermit the Frog but off the top of my head I really had to think for awhile to come up with any others. Don't know that I would have thought of Oscar the Grouch if Michael hadn't suggested it, and even then you might just be thinking Sesame Street characters. 

I haven't watched it yet, but "Spider-Man's Goblin" comes to mind, as does "the vegetable Giant".

• Love 1
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

"Characters that are green" was a tough category. I was able to come up with Shrek besides Kermit the Frog but off the top of my head I really had to think for awhile to come up with any others.

The only other one I could think of was The Grinch.  Of course, the Jolly Green Giant came to mind, but I couldn't think of a way to present it as an acceptable clue - "vegetable giant" works.  

The people that run this show really need to put more effort into getting contestants and celebrities who are halfway decent at the game. It's not fun to watch people who are awful!

It seems like anyone can be a contestant regardless of ability...TPTB should do whatever the guys who run Jeopardy or Who Wants to be a Millionaire do to find contestants who are good at the game. 

I understand it's harder to find celebs who can play well, but the focus really needs to be celebs who are good instead of star power because I really don't think most people are tuning in for the celebs. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Summerday said:

The people that run this show really need to put more effort into getting contestants and celebrities who are halfway decent at the game. It's not fun to watch people who are awful!

It seems like anyone can be a contestant regardless of ability...TPTB should do whatever the guys who run Jeopardy or Who Wants to be a Millionaire do to find contestants who are good at the game. 

I understand it's harder to find celebs who can play well, but the focus really needs to be celebs who are good instead of star power because I really don't think most people are tuning in for the celebs. 

As a huge jeopardy fan, I have to admit there have been quite a few contestants on that show who made me wonder how they passed the test!

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

His statement that he couldn't get the clues for mistress because he was gay was the funniest of the night ( although closely followed by the woman contestant crossing herself while giving the clue for "rabbi." and Michael Strahan's face when she did.)

I loved when he said he was gay to excuse his not getting "mistress,"  and the contestant crossing herself for 'rabbi' also cracked me up.

I did question when someone said "with an 'I'" to get the person to say "Insects." That seemed to be illegal.

• Love 1
On 8/20/2017 at 10:33 PM, jumper sage said:

"The DMV is sooooo bad" jokes are fairly ubiquitous.  I think most Americans know what it is.

17 hours ago, iMonrey said:

"Characters that are green" was a tough category. 

My wife and I came up with "Grinch: and "Shrek" after the fact.  So much easier when there's no time pressure!

6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I did question when someone said "with an 'I'" to get the person to say "Insects." That seemed to be illegal.

Since that was the explanation of the category and she was just repeating what Strathan had said, it was legal.

BTW, did anyone see Margaret's reaction when Robyn picked "I Go Both Ways"?  LOL

• Love 1
On 8/20/2017 at 8:12 PM, DasFlavorPup said:

Speaking of the contestants, is it just me or are the male contestants in general just much better than the female ones this season? 

Paige (with Cobie Smothers and the guy from the Blacklist) had 4 perfect rounds -- she didn't need any more -- and won $100,000.  She was one clue away from $50,000 -- for some reason, she totally blanked on "types of rice" (she actually said "wheat, whole wheat" for that clue!)

Madison, the female contestant in the second game, really needs to switch to decaf, preferably spiked with melatonin.  

Issues with the Winner's Circle aside, both female celebrities were refreshingly competent tonight.  Lara Spencer was SO close with "christening" instead of "baptism", and she might have gotten "haunted house" if her partner had actually started using clues describing parts of a house.

I thought Peri Gilpin was one of the best celebrities they've had all season - shame neither contestant played worth a squirt o' piss in Winner's Circle.  Caitlyn Jenner is NOT the one known for modeling in that family at all - and why her former name Bruce or her sex change wasn't used to describe her is beyond me.  For "things you stack" - books, pancakes, hay, bricks... shelves would not be the first thing that springs to mind for most people, I wouldn't think.

Kyle Busch stunk, and if one-tenth of my dad's NASCAR-related rants about the Busch brothers are true he's a tremen-douche IRL, so if he never gets asked back I have no problem with that.  

And finally, Ice-T - played so well the first two rounds in both games, then utterly brain-farted in the third and cost his partner the win both times.  Taking 15 seconds to get "Mexico", when your partner is describing it as the country just south of the US, and the category is WORDS THAT HAVE AN X in it, is unforgiveable.

Edited by DasFlavorPup
  • Love 5
32 minutes ago, DasFlavorPup said:

Issues with the Winner's Circle aside, both female celebrities were refreshingly competent tonight.  Lara Spencer was SO close with "christening" instead of "baptism", and she might have gotten "haunted house" if her partner had actually started using clues describing parts of a house.

The "christening" thing really bothered me. For instance, they threw "farm" next to the "crops" clue and would have accepted either but they didn't think to include christening as a potential option?  I always understood baptism and christening to be the same thing.

I think she should have said "creaky floors."  I felt for the contestant in the winner's circle who blanked on famous Michael.  It's funny because I knew Michael Strahan would have been a good additional clue but I blanked on his last name.

37 minutes ago, DasFlavorPup said:

Caitlyn Jenner is NOT the one known for modeling in that family at all - and why her former name Bruce or her sex change wasn't used to describe her is beyond me.

I think it's because he didn't know who she was.  I suspect he recognized the last name and thought Caitlyn was Kylie's sister. He didn't affiliate Caitlyn with Bruce.

• Love 1

Madison, the female contestant in the second game, really needs to switch to decaf, preferably spiked with melatonin.  

No kidding. That's why she didn't win, she was just way too hyper.

I don't know what to say about the Nascar racer who couldn't get Indy 500 or airbags, and couldn't name any of the Muppets. Except that he's stupid. Oy.

I agree about the christening vs. baptism thing, but I think if the contestant had nodded her head vigorously Lara would have realized she was on the right track. Instead the contestant didn't really react to "christening" so there was no way to indicate to Lara she was close.

I cracked up at whoever went on from "Hooters" to say that some of the women who worked there were "hookers." LOL. True?

Things in a haunted house is pretty tough and I thought all the clues were pretty good. 

I think it's because he didn't know who she was. 

Agreed. He clearly had no idea who Caitlyn Jenner was, he seemed only vaguely aware she was someone connected to the Kardashians. Hard to believe there's anyone left in the country who doesn't know who the most famous transgender person in showbiz is. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, DasFlavorPup said:

And finally, Ice-T - played so well the first two rounds in both games, then utterly brain-farted in the third and cost his partner the win both times.  Taking 15 seconds to get "Mexico", when your partner is describing it as the country just south of the US, and the category is WORDS THAT HAVE AN X in it, is unforgiveable.

Yes, he did brain-fart, but I think Juan led his mind in the wrong direction initially. He started off with, "This is a place south of America." I think that got Ice-T thinking along the lines of South America. Juan should have just said, "This is the country just south of the U.S." or "This country borders the U.S. on the south." When Ice-T was stuck, Juan should have said, "Tijuana ... Mazatlan ..." He could even have said, "Trump wants this country to pay for the wall."

17 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think she should have said "creaky floors." 

That's a great clue for haunted house. 

I think it's because he didn't know who she was.  I suspect he recognized the last name and thought Caitlyn was Kylie's sister. He didn't affiliate Caitlyn with Bruce.

I was thinking he didn't know the correct way to say she was a trans woman. Of course he could have just said, "My name used to be Bruce. I won a few Olympic gold medals in the 70's in track-and-field."

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

No kidding. That's why she didn't win, she was just way too hyper. 

Seriously, I think she has trouble communicating without using her hands.

Lara Spitzer impressed me greatly in her very first play. Wow. She was fantastic. But then it seemed to me that that category about words you need to pronounce carefully threw her off the rest of the game. She was so amused by it. Seems like she was smiling too much at the start of each round.

That NASCAR driver was ... bad. 

Ice-T was really good, except for that last bit. 

Madison was a crackup. Ice-T and Peri both seemed to be enjoying her.

I wanted to know who Jonathan's dog was.

• Love 1

The lighting on the second episode was so drastically different from the first, and from most of the recent episodes, that it was obviously shot a while ago. I looked up when Ice T's daughter was born and that was announced in 2015, so I'm assuming it must have been shot early last year, maybe for last summer. I'm not sure why they held it back, when they've aired some truly terrible ones before it this month.