Type keyword(s) to search

Death In Paradise - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 2/9/2019 at 7:43 PM, bybrandy said:

I kind of like the goofy niece.  She's grown on me through each of the episodes I've seen so far (although she is a lot and she's very present right out of the gate so I see how she could rub people the wrong way) but I haven't yet seen 8x05 and as it is a two parter I might wait until the following week because cliffhanger.

Same here. I don’t like waiting a week for a resolution!

Spoiler

What terrible ,terrible, terrible working conditions are there on this show that cause so much cast turnover?   Because it would have to be pretty soul suckingly terrible for me not to be more than willing to have an excuse to spend all that time on Guadaloupe.   

• Love 1

Isn't cast turnover pretty common with long running British TV shows? It seems as if it's a different mentality from American TV where casts are locked into contracts and paid pretty well.  But IIRC, it can get pretty hot filming there.

BTW, Kris Marshall was on Better Things tonight. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Most of them have stated distance from friends and family, as well as not being able to go on auditions and such. It also has a fairly “long” filming schedule for the number of episodes they do.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6

The thing about Ruby is, she's surprisingly competent at digging up evidence! That's made me soften a bit towards her. She can be a bit much, though, I agree.

Here's a question: why did they have a French inspector looking into

Spoiler

Florence's shooting?

Mooney is British. I had to go back and rewatch S1E1 to refresh my memory as to why a Brit is on a French island. Apparently, Saint Marie is a British island (went from the French, to the British, to the Dutch, back to the French, and then back to the British, even though it is a make believe island). So why was internal affairs in Paris investigating? That does not make any sense whatsoever! (S8E7)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

The thing about Ruby is, she's surprisingly competent at digging up evidence! That's made me soften a bit towards her. She can be a bit much, though, I agree.

Hide contents

Florence's shooting?

Mooney is British. I had to go back and rewatch S1E1 to refresh my memory as to why a Brit is on a French island. Apparently, Saint Marie is a British island (went from the French, to the British, to the Dutch, back to the French, and then back to the British, even though it is a make believe island). So why was internal affairs in Paris investigating? That does not make any sense whatsoever! (S8E7)

It's true Ruby comes up with things no one else does.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Hide contents

Florence's shooting?

I thought that the original Detective Sergeant was French and was offered a job in Paris before she left the series. There must be some weird dual jurisdiction set up.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Raja said:

I thought that the original Detective Sergeant was French and was offered a job in Paris before she left the series. There must be some weird dual jurisdiction set up. 

Camille was from Saint Marie (Catherine is her mother).  She studied in Paris, came back home to Saint Marie, then when she left the series she was offered the job in Paris.

The population of Saint Marie is apparently mixed, some speaking with French accents, some not, because of its history of jumping from one country's jurisdiction to another.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

The population of Saint Marie is apparently mixed, some speaking with French accents, some not, because of its history of jumping from one country's jurisdiction to another.

That's really weird. You live on an island all your life. You change your accent because of who takes over? There can't be THAT many people immigrating to St. Marie when a new gov't. takes over and then staying when another one steps in, can there? <shrug>

(edited)
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That's really weird. You live on an island all your life. You change your accent because of who takes over? There can't be THAT many people immigrating to St. Marie when a new gov't. takes over and then staying when another one steps in, can there? <shrug>

I don't think people change their accents.  I haven't noticed too many people with French accents in the series; those that are there are probably the result of the French takeover.

In other news, Death in Paradise has been renewed for seasons 9 and 10!

Edited by treeofdreams
Update: renewal info
  • Love 6

Maybe this will help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_in_Paradise_(TV_series)

"Death in Paradise is set on the fictional Caribbean island of Saint Marie, described in Episode 3.3 as a "pretty island" that is "situated in the Eastern Caribbean Sea." In episode 4.5, it is mentioned that Martinique is "a good 70 miles." Saint Marie is "one-tenth the size of its north-west neighbour Guadeloupe"; this would make Saint Marie about 63 square miles (160 km2) in size. Saint Marie is a British Overseas Territory, but about 30% of its people are French, due to previous history, with the language still widely spoken."

• Love 2
On 5/20/2019 at 5:35 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Odd, then, that there aren't many/any Dutch folks.  Hahahahaha

I think the British/French "co-constabulary" thing is because the show is a co-production between Britain and France. 

I can't remember because it's been awhile since I saw season 8, but I thought that there'd been some expostion about the French oversite of a British Inspector.

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, elle said:

What happened to JP's wife? She used to at least be mentioned.

She got named checked a few times, especially when Ruby said she liked one of the crime suspects, JP said he also became interested in dating his wife while investigating a crime.

• Love 5

I've really come to enjoy Ardal O'Hanlon in this role. I love how just gentle and sweet he comes across - he's not the stuffy, standoffish Poole, nor is he the goofy, funny Goodman.

I've liked all three leads in different ways for different reasons. I'm glad they didn't stick with the "fish out of water" trope that was so prevalent in the Poole seasons.

It would be nice if the next lead DI (whenever that happens) is an actor of color - and maybe a woman!

• Love 10

I think in the beginning I resented Ruby being there instead of Duane and it took a while for me to get over losing him.  She's still wacky, but tolerable and actually competent.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm glad they made the three DIs so different, instead of plugging a carbon copy into the role.  Poole was perfect for the fish out of water, and Goodman for the goofy guy.  I'm not sure what differentiates the new one except his accent, but I do like him.  Not quirky, just likeable.

The DIs all come from London.  It will be interesting to see if Jack sticks around, or if they do replace him with a woman or person of color.

I also like Ruby now; she was too over the top in her first episode, but I suppose we can chalk that up to her excitement over her first day on the job.  She is very efficient at what she does.  I love her calling the Commissioner Uncle Selly.  He is so stuffy and proper, it is cute to see the relationship.

I thought they were going to kill off Florence, as I knew she was leaving the show; I am glad they didn't.

I was not paying enough attention to the preview for next week; what was that about an internal investigation?

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 3
On 5/26/2019 at 12:18 AM, AnimeMania said:

She got named checked a few times, especially when Ruby said she liked one of the crime suspects, JP said he also became interested in dating his wife while investigating a crime.

Thanks, I missed any mention of her. Which episode was that?I

The episode with the four friends on the camping trip was the first one where the standard "Jack has a light bulb moment" to solve the case bothered me. It seemed to me they made Madeline more rigid than necessary. I know they were emphasizing how the island had its own rhythm and she was not fitting in to that but they could have let her have a few insights.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, elle said:
On 5/26/2019 at 2:18 AM, AnimeMania said:

Thanks, I missed any mention of her. Which episode was that?I

Season 8 Episode 5 "Beyond the Shining Sea – Part One" exactly half way through the episode.

• Love 1
On 5/29/2019 at 12:20 AM, AnimeMania said:

Season 8 Episode 5 "Beyond the Shining Sea – Part One" exactly half way through the episode.

I missed that. Glad he mentioned her, I was getting worried the show was going to forget about her all together. 

(edited)

And so season 8 ends.  They faked us out with Jack wanting to go back to London.

I suppose Madeleine will stay on, having fallen in love with the island.

Ruby was funny with her cursed playing card.  When she was digging in the dumpster, you just knew she was going to take a nosedive into it.

I'm glad we have two more seasons to look forward to.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

Crap. I'm going on vacation mid-August, back Sept. 7th. Was planning on re-starting Netflix streaming when I get back - why pay for a month of service when I'll be gone for 3 weeks? Same with Britbox. Giant Bummer.

I've been seeing some other shows on Acorn with Ben Miller and he's pretty damn funny. I should re-watch the Poole years with that in mind.

7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've been seeing some other shows on Acorn with Ben Miller and he's pretty damn funny. I should re-watch the Poole years with that in mind.

I have been wanting to watch “Ms. Fisher’s Modern Murder Mysteries”  on Acorn, but I don't have a subscription to the channel.

2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I have been wanting to watch “Ms. Fisher’s Modern Murder Mysteries”  on Acorn, but I don't have a subscription to the channel.

Not as good as the original. I can't recall any of the episodes and I watched 'em all about a month ago and have no desire to watch them again. I can watch the Essie Davis episodes over and over.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

The Poole years were the best.  Of course the series was designed with his character in mind, so it worked beautifully.  The subsequent DIs have been adequate, but could never quite catch his appeal.

Loved all of it, even when the DI wasn't as good

• Love 3

The mysteries themselves are always good, no matter who the DI is.  Not just who did it, but how.  Much more interesting than the standard run-of-the-mill mystery.

And I love the cast members, and of course the location.

And Harry.  He needs a better agent, to get more screen time.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

Aw, man. Well, I'm starting a Death in Paradise rewatch because I don't know when in August it's leaving Netflix. I hope Acorn, Prime, or Hulu get it. I don't get BritBox, but I'm expecting BritBox to get it. This sucks.

I heard about this and am also doing a binge rewatch. I like all the DIs, Moore or less (hee hee), but it's not the same show  since most of the original cast is gone. Like everyone else, I wonder where it will go in August.  At least we get it on PBS for the time being.

I've read it's best to bounce back and forth between Acorn and BritBox. A month or so on one, then then other. That way you get the best of both worlds. I haven't tried yet, too much going on with the streaming I have, but I'll probably try sooner or later. I do love British (and Canadian) TV.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

I heard about this and am also doing a binge rewatch. I like all the DIs, Moore or less (hee hee), but it's not the same show  since most of the original cast is gone. Like everyone else, I wonder where it will go in August.  At least we get it on PBS for the time being.

I've read it's best to bounce back and forth between Acorn and BritBox. A month or so on one, then then other. That way you get the best of both worlds. I haven't tried yet, too much going on with the streaming I have, but I'll probably try sooner or later. I do love British (and Canadian) TV.

I signed up for a year's worth of Acorn, but I do the month-or-two thing with BritBox and Netflix streaming. (I still have a Netflix DVD plan, too. Too much stuff I'd like to watch is available only on DVD.)  I'd like to restart either BBox or Netflix, but I'm going on a 3-week vacation soon and why pay for a month's worth of TV for only one week? I'll wait til I get back.

I do find plenty to watch on Acorn. But for Canadian shows, my favorite is on Amazon... it's called Still Standing. Hosted by Jonny Harris (Crabtree in Murdoch Mysteries), he goes to tiny Canadian towns & gets to know the people, participate in town activities and then does a stand-up routine built around the town and the people. It's my dream show - jokes and a travelogue! Unfortunately, Amazon only has the first 3 seasons. I can't wait for them to catch up to the CBC seasons.

• Love 4
On 7/6/2019 at 4:45 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Not as good as the original. I can't recall any of the episodes and I watched 'em all about a month ago and have no desire to watch them again. I can watch the Essie Davis episodes over and over.

I agree. I only managed to watch the first episode - I never could stomach watching the rest. 

• Love 1
On 7/6/2019 at 6:54 PM, treeofdreams said:

The Poole years were the best.  Of course the series was designed with his character in mind, so it worked beautifully.  The subsequent DIs have been adequate, but could never quite catch his appeal.

I've liked all the DI's. I just did a rewatch over the winter, and I like them all for different reasons. 

I'm actually most sad that Dwayne left. He had an irreverent attitude that added a nice bit of spice to the mix. But then he's the Cat, so he's always going to be the coolest dude around. I miss him!!

• Love 10
On 7/11/2019 at 11:35 AM, Eliza422 said:

I've liked all the DI's. I just did a rewatch over the winter, and I like them all for different reasons. 

I'm actually most sad that Dwayne left. He had an irreverent attitude that added a nice bit of spice to the mix. But then he's the Cat, so he's always going to be the coolest dude around. I miss him!!

I like them all too. Each one brings something different to the show. 

• Love 5

Aw, dammit. Death in Paradise is moving to BritBox, as is Father Brown. 😟 I would subscribe but Amazon doesn’t have a dedicated app, just a channel. I don’t want to subscribe via Amazon channel. This sucks. 

(edited)

Aw, damn. I was hoping for Acorn. But, what the hell. I'll subscribe to Britbox. The more British accents in my life, the better. 😄

ETA: Just subscribed on Amazon, and they're having a half-off sale right now. Only $3.49 for the first three months, and $6.99 a month thereafter.

Edited by auntiemel
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1