Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E20: Promposal

Claire preps for Closet-Con but has a strong suspicion there's a spy in the company. Meanwhile, Jay tries to show Joe how to work with his hands; Phil and Gloria are certain that Auntie Alice stole her hot sauce recipe; and Luke and Manny get advice on finding prom dates from Mitchell and Cameron, respectively.

The typical high school hallway has spirit posters promoting sports teams & school clubs, etc.  This episode had a long scene with a large handwritten poster in the background that said “Today is a great day to learn something new!”  Kind of different.

Alex could have directly told Ruben that she doesn’t want to go to his high school prom with him.  Understandable if she was swamped with college final exams.  But not acceptable for her to give that snide retort and close the door in his face, and later turn on the sprinklers on him.  Then she ends up going with him anyway and seemed sour in the tag scene at the prom. 

Manny must have had a real connection with his prom date for her to ask him.  She looked genuinely excited when he said yes.

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Why is Alex going to prom at all? I thought she and Sanjay (sp?) were rocky when he gave a used suitcase. Who is this Ruben guy?

Ruben is a friend of Luke's that she hooked up with after she and Sanjay broke up the first time. 

Yeah, I don't get Alex going to the prom either and if they want to continue to make us believe that her and Sanjay are back together, then SHOW them together. Also, Manny at the beginning of the episode with the espresso cup, I just wanted Jay to go: "Why do you keep doing that?" "You don't look wiser than your years, you look like an idiot!" "When are you going to learn that?" As for Claire's situation, umm... just why? 

• Love 2
(edited)

Promposals are stupid. Gawd, it's just a high school dance.

But so are over the top marriage proposals that have to cost a fortune, be super showy, and of course, end up on Facebook or YouTube.

People under 30 - special moments still count if they're not on social media. In fact, they might be more special (and definitely more genuine) when they're private. And stop wasting money on a pre-event to an event. You are going to regret wasting your limited resources on doves and rose petals and hired trumpeters.

Edited by Shermie
  • Love 13
(edited)

At least marriage proposals -- even over-the-top ones -- are a pretty serious commitment. That's asking someone to spend the rest of their life with you. That's asking for a legal relationship -- with tax implications and everything.

The fact that a ridiculous dance has been elevated to that status proves America's obsession with production value. In 30 years, you're going to remember who you married (unless you're Britney Spears). You might not remember your prom date.

That being said, it was highly predictable that Mitchell would ask Cameron to the prom, but kinda cute anyway.

I didn't get the Claire and Jay story at all. Not even a little bit. Although the actor playing Ben gets my vote for MVP. His delivery (and facial expressions) were hysterical.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 3

Do kids really put this much effort into "promposals" or is this just for the show?  Seems like a waste  And really a 40 something year old man still sour over his high school prom? 

Yeah I didn't get the Claire and Jay thing either.  But I do love Ben.  He has been in a number of episodes now and I always find him funny

Alex and Reuben ceased being funny long ago.  Such a bad example.  She treats him badly.  If the situation were reversed in terms of the sexes, it would be easier to see how psychologically abusive that relationship is towards Reuben. 

• Love 2

I thought it was sweet that the students helped with Mitchell's prom invite, spelling it out with their bodies -- something more like Cam than Mitchell. And for all of the pomp that Cam was trying to orchestrate, Luke succeeded with a simple one-word glow-in-the-dark T-shirt.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Do kids really put this much effort into "promposals" or is this just for the show?  Seems like a waste 

Prom has gotten insane! I have read about some enterprising students going into "promposal" business. Then with the "required" rental limo and the expensive dresses and everything else, the cost of prom has skyrocketed.  I get looks of disbelief when I describe my 1975 prom to today's teenagers.

• Love 1

I was really angry about Jay's insulting treatment of Manny. Jay's snide attitude toward Manny's supposed "lack of manliness" was outright abusive, and indoctrinating Joe to disrespect his brother is also really bad parenting. It's like they couldn't do a sweet plot between Cam and Mitch without making sure to undermine it with something horrible to cancel out the message of it being OK to be who you are. Jay was supposed to be over this bad attitude, but they had to bring it back lest we get too comfortable.

Alex was horrible to Reuben.

Was this episode even supposed to be funny??

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

Prom has gotten insane! I have read about some enterprising students going into "promposal" business. Then with the "required" rental limo and the expensive dresses and everything else, the cost of prom has skyrocketed.  I get looks of disbelief when I describe my 1975 prom to today's teenagers.

I even had a conversation with some coworkers who were in high school less than 10 years ago and they said they would see that kind of stuff as way too much, or even call it stalkerish. Yet, my nieces, nephews and younger cousins, this is considered pretty norm.

• Love 1

Anyone else find the Realtor ads around and in the show a bit much and clunky?  I've got no issue with real estate agents (my sister is one), and it's not a secret that Phil is one.  But it just came off as awkward product placement, like on Bones when they'd extol the virtues of whatever car they were driving.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, possibilities said:

I was really angry about Jay's insulting treatment of Manny. Jay's snide attitude toward Manny's supposed "lack of manliness" was outright abusive, and indoctrinating Joe to disrespect his brother is also really bad parenting. It's like they couldn't do a sweet plot between Cam and Mitch without making sure to undermine it with something horrible to cancel out the message of it being OK to be who you are. Jay was supposed to be over this bad attitude, but they had to bring it back lest we get too comfortable.

Alex was horrible to Reuben.

Was this episode even supposed to be funny??

It's like I said earlier, Jay should have just said to him that his walking around and doing things like that are to the point no one cares about. Not going out of his way to make him feel bad and turning Joe against his brother. That was just horrible. Manny keeps doing things that he expects the family will just go: "Awesome Manny." When really, even Gloria doesn't care about it, and yet she enables him by telling girls how awesome Manny is or even trying to do things. Yet then turns around and tells him things like: "You don't understand, you're not married." or "You aren't as great as you think." Gloria is so two-faced when it comes to Manny. Jay has not just become downright asshole to Manny now. I'm sure Jay is counting down the days that Manny goes to college and he just has Joe to worry about. 

AS for Alex and Reuben, its like with the writers going to such lengths to have Haley and Andy together. Why should we care? Why is it so great? It's not funny, Reuben comes off as someone who is a future serial killer and Alex is more mean than Jay was to Manny. At least Jay just told how he felt, Alex went as far as embarrassing Reuben and going just short of getting a restraining order on him. Yet, he didn't get the hint and then Alex goes with him anyhow? That isn't funny, that's very demoralizing and the moral is: "Be obsessed with a girl who is actually back with her boyfriend, you'll win out in the end." I also read some things on the actor who plays Sanjay, he's been doing a lot of things out of Modern Family and why he isn't on very much, similar to Andy who is busy on other projects. Yet, TPTB have some love on for both actors and have to keep them on and use them even if it doesn't make any sense. 

I just feel like they are spinning to do things with Claire and failing miserably with it. They could have built this half of the season on Claire really dealing with the nay sayers of the Closet Company and finding her own way. Instead, they have her trying to still impress people, becoming paranoid like Jay about spies in the company (sadly true) and how much her helicopter parenting has really destroyed kids skills of trying to do anything like tie their shoes. Its really sad when the characters you are not enjoying are Cam and Mitch and the last few years, I thought they were the worst written characters and now they've flipped it to them and only Phil being characters to care about. Despite being yourself there are many times I want go to Manny and go: "Would you get a clue and stop being oblivious to things?" Or to Luke and go: "Learn how to talk and guess what? The sky is blue." 

• Love 3

These characters have all become caricatures at this point and I can barely stand them.  Not sure why I still watch, although Lily is still pretty funny on the rare occasion she's on.  Stuff like promposals make me rage with the economy, unemployment rate, etc. kids are taught to waste money in this spectacular a fashion at such a young age for such a stupid reason?  In real life, I mean, sorry got off topic. 

• Love 3

Sofia Vergara should demand the writers and directors treat her character better. She snarls all her lines, and it makes her look ugly. Her hair is too straight and flat (and blond), her accent is intelligible half the time, she wears leopard print in every other scene, and she's too thin for a curvy gal. Such a far cry from the dark-haired, voluptuous beauty in season one who snapped off one liners with a charming accent. They've turned her into an aging shrew who is never happy.

• Love 2

The best part of this episode was the scenes with Joey and Jay. I think the kid who plays Joey does a good job. Everything else fell flat. I don't mind Jay's comments to Manny because let's face it, Jay is an irritable character and at times, he lets loose with what he's really thinking. Besides, Manny's a bit pompous so a slam or two seems in order.

For me, one of the things that makes a comedy funny is when characters do or say things that I would like to do or say but am too polite to. Manny would annoy me sometimes, too (I like the Manny character, though). 

I like how Sofia looked in the beginning, too. 

I used to enjoy jumping from one household to the other, but in the last couple of years, I have enjoyed Cam and Mitch less and less (and never warmed up to Lily). More Phil, Claire, Jay, and Joey and talking head scenes with the shifty-eyed Hailey showing her dishonesty or shallowness.

• Love 1

Her hair is too straight and flat (and blond)

The character of Gloria has been getting on my nerves for a while now, but I think I remember an interview* where she says she's a natural blonde. So I can't fault her for going back to her natural hair color (but most likely with highlights...)

I liked Phil's realtor here to save the day moment.  But then I still watch mostly for Ty Burrell. 

Alex and the high school kid was just weird.

*Ah, I think this is it -

There was a comment made that Cam couldn't go to his prom because he didn't have a date.

Is that how it is in the US? You can only go if you have a date?