Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E21: Wedding Eve / S05.E22: Landing Gear

On the night before the wedding, Nick and Winston try to help Schmidt re-write his vows and Jess, thinking that Sam is going to propose to her, rallies the gang into playing True American to avoid giving him an answer.

Schmidt makes a last ditch effort to convince Cece's mom to come to their wedding, but in doing so, he might miss the special day himself.

Aw, yay for Cece and Schmidt! I'm happy they got married. And Schmidt broke the Douchebag jar! 

I really don't know how I feel about Jess and Nick 2.0. I sometimes think the show really played their hand getting them together so early on. Or maybe not. It's not like it ended on a bad, bad note. So, we shall see. My OTP on this show was always Cece and Schmidt from like episode 4 of this show, and I am so happy that they finally are married. 

• Love 3

I am so glad CeCe and Schmidt got married. Was nice to see Coach, and Winston was perfect, I laughed at him the most, the dropping of the iPad was awesome.

But.....What happened to the wedding dress Jess was suppose to 'fix'?

And I am not sure that they are going to immediately do a Jess & Nick 2.0. I bet they will drag it out again... Have nick all hung up on Regan... Or not.

anyway, it was a nice couple of episodes.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, CinAZ said:

I am so glad CeCe and Schmidt got married. Was nice to see Coach, and Winston was perfect, I laughed at him the most, the dropping of the iPad was awesome.

But.....What happened to the wedding dress Jess was suppose to 'fix'?

And I am not sure that they are going to immediately do a Jess & Nick 2.0. I bet they will drag it out again... Have nick all hung up on Regan... Or not.

anyway, it was a nice couple of episodes.

The wedding dress was turned inside out. Jess must have gotten some extra fabric to make it more unique.

Well, I guess I'm glad Sam's gone. I just never have liked that guy. True American was a letdown. Coach being back was great. I love that Schmidt called Cece's mom every week and won her over. That's perfectly in character. Winston and Aly continue to be adorable but last week they were casually singing about how they loved each other so that took some of the excitement away when they said it this week. Cece looked beautiful at the wedding. I guess we're supposed to believe that after turning the dress inside out, Jess added that overlay. 

I've probably been the most vocal about thinking Jess and Nick were going to happen again but I'm not looking forward to a love triangle with Regan. I can't see Megan Fox being around enough to make both sides compelling and it's just a very played out story. I thought the writers screwed up with Nick and Jess the first time, but I do think from the way this season went that they have learned from that and have a better understanding of how to use the whole cast so Nick and Jess don't eat the show. I'd rather have them together or not but dragging it out is the weakest option. 

• Love 2

Nice pair of episodes.  I feel like New Girl had been meandering for awhile and it stopped being "must see" television for me about a season-and-a-half ago.  But the Schmidt-Cece wedding arc seemed to rejuvenate the writers and pump some new life into the series.  There were still some missteps; Winston's faux marriage was a rare fail for that character, and I agree with the previous poster that the latest round of True American really fell flat.  And Schmidt calling Cece's mother every week is exactly what that character would do.  He has a talent for wearing folks down until they come to like him.  Zooey looked radiant in that Red dress, probably the best I've ever seen her.

The wedding was an absolute delight... well done, show. In this less than perfect world it was great to see a couple so totally into each other, even if it's only in sitcomland.

Did feel awfully sorry for Jess, though, when Nick said he was going off to New Orleans with Regan. I'm one who found the previous Nick/Jess relationship funny and kind of sweet, and I think Take 2 could work out since they're clearly connected with each other and presumably have grown since then. Next season does need a long-running story now that Cece and Schmidt are happily married.

• Love 7

This was a great season, I really enjoyed it. I'm a little sad that that will be the end of Sam for good because I think that actor has really great timing and meshes well with the cast.  I liked having coach back for one episode too (he's good in small doses). "Funston, we have a pranklem".  I also really liked Nick trying to say that Schmidt was asleep with all different cadences.  I guess I'm pretty much in this show for the jokes. Keep that in mind for next season, writers! You can do the Nick/Jess storyline, but with jokes not full episodes of longing stares and depressed Nick. No one likes depressed Nick.

• Love 2

Awww they crushed the douchbag jar! I love it! The wedding was adorable and sweet, and I am really glad that Cece and Schmidt finally got married. 

Good two episodes, I liked seeing some of the supporting characters pop up again, and Ceces mom finally coming around. Schmidt is very persistent, you have to give him that. Plus I always like seeing Coach. 

I am fine with Nick and Jess getting back together, because I always figured they would. I pegged them as end game from day one, so I am excited to see how they get back together again. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I couldn't understand why CeCe's mother didn't let her know she'd be coming to the wedding. But then when Nick said it had been HIS job to go get her, I thought: maybe she did tell Nick, and he was supposed to pick her up at the airport, and he somehow forgot to tell everyone else she was coming? I found that a bit confusing.

But overall I liked these.

Disappointed we won't get to meet Sam's dads. I would have liked keeping him around a while longer. I think there was more story there. Maybe the actor wanted out? Rushing the Jess-Nick reprise with Regan as obstacle seems like an unnecessary and repetitive way to go.

I liked that when Winston was asked to do a prank, he actually chose something proportionate and not catastrophic, with the streaking. Him not having to go through with it was also ok, though I almost think it would have been just as good if he had. They could still give him the curtain to put on afterwards.

Why was Aly the only one to get food poisoning, if Nick's guy fed 20 people?

I wish Schmidt's mom and her fiancee had had more to do. I hope we get to see them again. It would have been fun if they'd joined True American. Overall, True American was kind of a dud this time.

I sound cranky, but I enjoyed the episodes. Stepping on the douchebag jar was perfect. It hasn't been used in ages, and I'd forgotten all about it.

I hope someone got Furguson out of the elevator.

No way in hell Schmidt wouldn't have a million back ups of his vows. He's  super organized, not to mention a bit obsessive.

Edited by possibilities

I loved it. Loved Coach - and had forgotten about the girl, so that was nice to see. The episode with Tran and Nick in the pool is all time fave, so I love to see Tran when I can. Nora Dunn is the bomb. I needed a Peter Gallagher/Nora Dunn interaction tho. Loved the guys outside the elevator waiting for him.

I did like the montage of all of them pouring champagne with abandon. Was the pashmina to cover MF pg or tattoos?

I'm embarrassed to ask because I think I should know - but what happened to Cece's dad? (I prob asked this question at her last wedding.)

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, betsyboo said:

I loved it. Loved Coach - and had forgotten about the girl, so that was nice to see. The episode with Tran and Nick in the pool is all time fave, so I love to see Tran when I can. Nora Dunn is the bomb. I needed a Peter Gallagher/Nora Dunn interaction tho. Loved the guys outside the elevator waiting for him.

I did like the montage of all of them pouring champagne with abandon. Was the pashmina to cover MF pg or tattoos?

I'm embarrassed to ask because I think I should know - but what happened to Cece's dad? (I prob asked this question at her last wedding.)

Cece's dad died. During season  1 when Nick had his health scare, Cece and Schmidt talked on the beach and Cece was trying to make Schmidt be less selfish about having to deal should Nick really be sick and explained sort of about her Dad.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Was the pashmina to cover MF pg or tattoos?

The belly for sure. Tattoos are easy to cover, and maybe her character even had tattoos. 

Did you guys know that Schmidt's mom's friend was played by Kim Wayans? Damon's aunt. I knew her face but didn't put it together until later. So Schmidt and Dr. Sam both have gay parents. These progressive shows are so nice to see. 

Edited by BoogieBurns
  • Love 4

I really hope Aly's food poisoning isn't going to be a pregnancy.  I might be over the show at that point.  But at least it would be marginally better then Cece or Jess getting pregnant.

The wedding party was cute.  I wish Schmidt could have been there though.  At first, I thought that the pregnant lady on the flight would pretend to go into labor and Schmidt would pretend to be her husband/baby daddy to get off the plane.

The whole Reagan/Nick/Jess thing is super lame.  I suspect Nick and Reagan will do a long distance thing all next season while Jess sulks.  Then there will be a similar parallel at the end of next season where Nick and Jess kiss and hookup while Nick is still dating Reagan.

The wedding and the focus on Schmidt and Cece was really sweet. It was nice having Coach back again for these two episodes, even if he didn't really fit anymore as a regular. BUT - I am still firmly against the whole Jess/Nick thing. I felt like once they were a couple the whole dynamic of the show changed in a fundamental and negative way, which was only corrected by breaking them up and having them go back to being friends. My hope was that they would move past that and not revisit it. 

I know it's just a sitcom and everything is played for laughs, but no way would a porta-potty have been able to flush all of Winston's clothes.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

BUT - I am still firmly against the whole Jess/Nick thing. I felt like once they were a couple the whole dynamic of the show changed in a fundamental and negative way, which was only corrected by breaking them up and having them go back to being friends

I agree wholeheartedly about this. Even if the writers do a better job of writing them as a couple the second time around, I have no interest in seeing that. I really like Nick and tolerate Jess, but I'd like them to be happy just with other people. The show has done a decent job, to varying degrees of success, of integrating non-house members as love interests. They can do the same for Nick and Jess. Why can't they just have a strong affection for each, a closeness that is loving but not "in love", and not be couple?

Please TV gods, I don't ask for much! Well, I might have unwisely used all my prayers hoping for Sleepy Hollow to be canceled (it wasn't!) and I'm out of credits. Sigh.

• Love 3

I know it's just a sitcom and everything is played for laughs, but no way would a porta-potty have been able to flush all of Winston's clothes.

I thought they just got wet and disgusting. Didn't notice if they went down the toilet.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/13/2016 at 11:43 AM, Saylii said:

I really hope Aly's food poisoning isn't going to be a pregnancy.  I might be over the show at that point.  But at least it would be marginally better then Cece or Jess getting pregnant.

I have no problem with Cece getting pregnant in the last season, so long as we end with the baby being born and don't have to see any episodes of raising the baby. I think there can be some good jokes drawn from a pregnancy, but I don't like kids (babies or otherwise) on shows. I'm curious why you think an Aly pregnancy would be better than Cece or Jess. Just because she's not a main character? It would be funny to see Winston trying to figure out the dad thing.

Edited by April Bloodgate

Liz (the creator) said the food poisoning was done so Nasim could skip the wedding episode. Nasim has another pilot that she was off filming. So, it seems like pregnancy would make it more important to be on every episode next season. They are planning on her being less available if the show gets picked up. Which I would hope means no baby.

(edited)
17 minutes ago, April Bloodgate said:

I have no problem with Cece getting pregnant in the last season, so long as we end with the baby being born and don't have to see any episodes of raising the baby. I think there can be some good jokes drawn from a pregnancy, but I don't like kids (babies or otherwise) on shows. I'm curious why you think an Aly pregnancy would be better than Cece or Jess. Just because she's not a main character? It would be funny to see Winston trying to figure out the dad thing.

Because Aly's not a main character and she doesn't live in the loft.  That way we can see wacky Winston hijinks when it's appropriate, but they don't have a baby around 24/7.  Jess having a kid would make it the focus of the show.  Cece wouldn't be as bad as Jess, but the baby would still probably be in every episode.

But if it's just because the actress is filming a new pilot, then I'm a-ok with that.  I've just been burned by one too many shows where food poisoning/stomach flu becomes baby!

Edited by Saylii
On 5/16/2016 at 11:43 AM, Traveller519 said:

Shallow comment, but Zooey Deschenel was definitely rocking the "flaunt it" dress at the wedding.

I noticed that too. The girls were definitely out there. I assume they filmed this not all that long after she had her baby.

I'm totally fine with Nick and Jess being a couple again....since even when they were friends....there was always an undercurrent of flirting with each other, IMO.  I do assume that the coupling won't happen quickly.  Nick will be with Regan while Jess pines.  Jess will move on...Nick and Regan will go bust and then he'll pine for Jess...and yadda yadda yadda.  Season finale next year...maybe they get together.  

I loved the final episode.  I love that Schmidt just told Cece what was going on instead of spending the whole episode lying to her and then her not knowing why he wasn't there for the wedding.  I also love that they had him there for the party by way of an ipad.  It was cute.  

• Love 2
On May 22, 2016 at 3:25 PM, shelley1005 said:

I'm totally fine with Nick and Jess being a couple again....since even when they were friends....there was always an undercurrent of flirting with each other, IMO.  I do assume that the coupling won't happen quickly.  Nick will be with Regan while Jess pines.  Jess will move on...Nick and Regan will go bust and then he'll pine for Jess...and yadda yadda yadda.  Season finale next year...maybe they get together.  

I loved the final episode.  I love that Schmidt just told Cece what was going on instead of spending the whole episode lying to her and then her not knowing why he wasn't there for the wedding.  I also love that they had him there for the party by way of an ipad.  It was cute.  

I think if New Girl was cancelled, this would have been the perfect episode to end it on.