Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

Her healthy episodes kill me, it's the same gross combinations every single time. Plus she acts like eating healthy is just for women and that men don't have to. Please feed your male children some vegetables for goodness sake!

You can tell Ree almost never eats that stuff though, she seems more awkward than ever during those segments.

• Love 7

My oldest daughter, bless her sweet little heart, got me one of Ree's cookbooks for Christmas. She doesn't know that I only watch her show to see what sort of new atrocities she's going to commit against food. I will read through it though, and see if there's anything worth trying. I will hand it to Ree -- I made her Cloverleaf Rolls for Thanksgiving, and they turned out very well. And the recipe on her blog had truly idiot proof instructions when it came to working with yeast, how long to let the dough rise, and so on. It was much appreciated as it was the first time I'd ever made bread. It was one of her old recipes though, before she started dumbing down for the masses on FN.

• Love 5

Congratulations, ShellSeeker!  The fact that you'd never made bread before, yet ventured into Ree territory,  proves that you are a woman of exceptional faith! 

• Love 3

I don't mind them on Valerie because they don't clash with her hair and makeup. It's not the tops for me, it's the ghastly colors that Ree picks them in.

She had a repeat of her breakfast episodes today, I swear I don't think any of her breakfast choices look appetizing. Especially when she makes super sweet stuff, that's not what I want first thing, it's like when my husband puts a ton of sugar in his morning cereal.

• Love 4

Where are Stacy and Clinton when we need them? I was so bummed when "What No to Wear" was replaced with lame "Love, Lust or Run." Stacy did the best she could with a losing concept but it was just too extreme and turned into more of an "armchair psychology" program. I don't think the show was renewed.  I love Stacy London and am sure she could work her magic on Ree.

Lucky, Peaches! Floral design used to be a hobby of mine. You got to do it for a career. How cool! 

Sorry, but who are Stacy and Clinton?  I love shows about fashion, and have wanted to know more about floral design for years, yet I don't know of any shows except for Tyra Banks' show, which I didn't enjoy.

Peaches, you must be quite the creative type.  Have you ever thought of starting a blog about either one of those subjects?  Please do!

Then, get a job with Ree.  I get so tired of looking at those same white paper flowers in a big urn by her front door.  It's time they went into the Spring Burning pile.

Edited by Lura
phrasing
  • Love 1

Sorry, but who are Stacy and Clinton? 

They had a great program called What Not to Wear.  A person with incredibly poor taste in clothes, hair, and make up was nominated by friends and/or family for a makeover.  The nominee went to NY and Stacy and Clinton showed them styles and colors that were best for them and then turned the person loose in NY to shop.  Invariably it was a bit of a disaster and they'd have to swoop in and take over.  Then there was a hair and make up session.  In the end the nominee went home with $5000 in new clothes and were presented to their friends and family.

In all of the years the show was on, only one reverted to her ugly wardrobe.  The rest embraced teh change.  They really did some amazing makeovers.

• Love 2

Ditto to everything kohola3 said. Stacy is Stacy London, who is a well-known stylist and writer. Clinton Kelly is the same. In fact, I believe he is one of the co-hosts of "The Chew." (I have never watched that show so I don't know if he is still on.)

"What Not to Wear" was a great show. Clinton and Stacy could definitely be snarky and bring the tough love but underneath it all, they had hearts of gold as well as excellent taste. Ted Gibson was the hair stylist and Carmindy was the makeup artist. Those two are no slouches in their respective professions, either. I have read that a haircut from Ted's Gibson's Manhattan salon is about $900.

(As I reflect on how S&C could restyle Ree, what I remember is that they always, always, always, recommended that the women cut their long stringy hair off. The women would always balk and cry, but in the end, a fabulous new cut -- and usually better color -- made all of the difference in the world. Only one woman refused and she had nasty dishwater blonde hair that she could literally sit on. I wonder how Ree would react? You know she would be asked to remove her extensions and cut her hair and Ted would probably color it back to some shade of brown.)

• Love 2

Clinton Kelly is still on The Chew. They're down to 3 hosts. Daphne Oz left, then ABC fired Mario Batali after the sexual harassment scandal. So it's Clinton, Carla Hall, and Michael Symon. I love The Chew. Clinton is a great on it.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Lura said:

Sorry, but who are Stacy and Clinton?  I love shows about fashion, and have wanted to know more about floral design for years, yet I don't know of any shows except for Tyra Banks' show, which I didn't enjoy.

Peaches, you must be quite the creative type.  Have you ever thought of starting a blog about either one of those subjects?  Please do!

Then, get a job with Ree.  I get so tired of looking at those same white paper flowers in a big urn by her front door.  It's time they went into the Spring Burning pile.

Lol, thanks. That reminds me of when, after retiring I went to be a volunteer at the City I live in. They took one look at my resume and went "Oh, you're creative, you're going in the Multi Media Dept." I spent the next three years editing and programming the City's two TV channels. So much for design school training. 

Those white paper flowers are the saddest things I've ever seen. 

If there's ever anything you want to know about flowers or design, PM me and I'll do my best to answer your questions.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, grisgris said:

Only one woman refused and she had nasty dishwater blonde hair that she could literally sit on.

She was such a pill - accepted the whole scenario (and the 5000 bucks) but refused to have that ugly head of hair touched.

I do think that there are so many flattering styles and colors that would improve Ree's looks.  That mess she has just highlights that crazy clown smile face that she has.  Not her fault but don't make it so prominent.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

She was such a pill - accepted the whole scenario (and the 5000 bucks) but refused to have that ugly head of hair touched.

I do think that there are so many flattering styles and colors that would improve Ree's looks.  That mess she has just highlights that crazy clown smile face that she has.  Not her fault but don't make it so prominent.

Some pioneer women just want to watch the world burn. :)

• Love 3

Ree's genes must be super strong because all of the kids look like her.  Same eyes, same nose.  The Drummonds are a good-looking family IMO, but I don't see much resemblance to that side of the family.  I think Todd has the best chance of inheriting some Drummond features, but it's still too early to tell.  IMHO, Tim's family is just the opposite.  Tim is good-looking, married a pretty woman, and his children are beautiful.  The kids look more like his wife, but since she's so attractive, they would have the advantage over their cousins in a beauty contest (which this isn't). 

It seems to me that Ree's daughters have inherited Ree's fashion sense -- or lack of sense.  Neither one dresses quite like other girls their age, and sometimes I think that they all trade off on tops and accessories.  Sometimes, the girls wear things that I would call too old for them, and sometimes Ree wears items that IMO belong on a teenager. The boys seem to have more sense of style and color than the girls do, especially Bryce. 

Ree needs so much help and guidance in the areas of looks and fashion that it boggles the brain as to where to start!  There are times that I swear she doesn't own a mirror.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Lura said:

Ree needs so much help and guidance in the areas of looks and fashion that it boggles the brain as to where to start!  There are times that I swear she doesn't own a mirror.

With all Ree's money she should hire a stylist, but she's too much of a narcissist to do so.

• Love 2

On one of Ree's recent episodes, I scoped out her décor, and lo and behold, she has other vases of tall paper flowers in tall vases.  They looked like the white ones, except in color.  Ree has a pretty nice veggie garden.  I was wondering why she couldn't have a flower garden and cut some fresh ones for the house,

I also saw that she had two or more vases of beige, bleached out grasses.  Those things gather dust and cobwebs like crazy -- at least, mine did -- and something more colorful would be so much more attractive.

I think sometimes we get locked in to what we have and don't necessarily notice them if they're a part of our décor.  With a little imagination (and much less clutter), Ree could have a more interesting, more colorful, home.  For someone who seems so interested in color, she hasn't followed through with her surroundings.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Lura said:

With a little imagination (and much less clutter), Ree could have a more interesting, more colorful, home. 

Maybe it's  TV thing.  They don't want anything to take attention away from the star.  Or the colorful but inedible food.

• Love 1

I watched today's ground beef episode and there was nothing inspiring or exciting - just more snore-worthy recipes.  The one thing that stood out is that those "party pizzas" on rye bread looked sort of disgusting - like gack on toast.  

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Rye bread pizzas? Blech.

Exactly my reaction!  I am not a rye bread fan anyway but substituting any bread for pizza crust?  Puh-leeze! 

Reminds me of those stupid sandwich makers that the screechy voiced woman is always hawking.  Throw some canned apple filling on a slice of bread and crush it in the machine - voila, wonderful apple pies.  Not!

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

What was up with her putting milk in her Bolognese sauce?   And she never drained the fat out of her meat, for either dish.   Disgusting.

I put about a 1/2 cup of half/half in my bolognese.   I use a recipe from Lydia and tweak it to make it my own.   My family loves it.    

3 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

What was up with her putting milk in her Bolognese sauce?   And she never drained the fat out of her meat, for either dish.   Disgusting.

She hardly ever drains the fat out of her food even when she cooks pork butt which is a very fatty cut.

• Love 1

OK, I have to watch today's episode again because I was falling asleep while it was on.  I thought Ree said that either the lettuce wraps or the cocktail-sized rye breads would be  perfect for cowboys.  I remember laughing and then fell asleep.  If Ree was saying what I thought she said, she must be crazy, or else her cowboys are much more the dainty kind than I realized.  Did anybody else hear this?

• Love 3

I saw the episode "Happy birthday to me" this morning.  Ladd and the kids got her presents, one of which was jewelry.  She picked up the box, and just before she opened it, exclaimed "Oh how gorgeous!!!!!" with a gasp.  This was before she even could see what it was.  They need a better director.  Should have done a retake. I wonder how many of her dummy fans noticed that.  Probably none.  They were probably staring into the screen drooling.  I just saw "the kitchen."  Katie has the most God-awful voice I have ever heard on anyone.  It sounds metallic.  Or kind of like a Southern California valley girl accent.  Yikes.  Sorry to be such a bitch, but all of this is true.

• Love 5

I don't like this feeling I have about Ree and her shows.  I'm way down about them, and I'd be very interested in knowing how many others of you (if any) feel the same way.  Maybe it's just me.  Like Ina before her, I am weary of repeats and hungry for more new shows to talk about.  I think I have the same old ones memorized.  While Ree prattles on about her hotel and her book tours, how do you retain your enthusiasm for the same old, same old shows?  I do know that when Ree ditches her usual Tex-Mex and does something with hors d'oeuvres, like her afternoon tea with Paigey or even holiday goodies, my interest perks way up.  I wish that you would tell me how you feel.  Are you happy with the status quo, or do you wish for something different?  Thank you, my irreplaceable friends.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Lura said:

While Ree prattles on about her hotel and her book tours, how do you retain your enthusiasm for the same old, same old shows?

Well, I'm probably not the best person to add my thoughts because I cannot stand to watch more than a few minutes of any of her shows.  I can't stand how she tortures perfectly good food and makes it virtually inedible. I can't stand her close up shots of every single thing like measuring out a teaspoon of vanilla (same reason I won't look at her blog).  I can't stand her in-program commercials for her other businesses.  I can't stand her prattle that includes "buncha" and "because I can" even when the ingredient has no place in that dish.  I can't stand her boys vs. girls mentality in cooking.  It's the same three or four recipes over and over with an occasional steal from somebody's church cookbook.  

So, bottom line - I can't stand her. And we won't even get into the hair and wardrobe.

• Love 6

How (why?) do I keep watching?  I love educational programming and like watching cooking shows, and when I sit down to watch tv I pretty much default to news and how-to shows.  I have no expectations that I will learn a thing from Ree or be inspired to make anything she demonstrates, and it’s a mindless bit of downtime to watch just because it’s there or just for snark.  In other words, I have no good reason for why I watch her other than to waste a little time.

It shouldn’t bring you down, though, and if it does you should take a break from it, Lura.  I say this to myself every time I watch the news but can’t seem to tear myself away from American politics.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 3

Wow.  It is 4:38pm central time, and Ree's contest for some ugly bag was supposed to be concluded (winner announced) this morning.  I did not enter it, as I don't believe she really gives stuff away randomly.  I suspect her friends get the "prizes."  I do however, like to check and see how long (how many extra hours) it takes for them to announce the winner.  I guess her clicks are down this month, she needs more advertising revenue, more "click bait." So the Reeple go to her site every hour or so in anticipation.  The whole PW thing is just so dishonest, Ree is so dishonest, and so different from what she pretends, it makes me sick.  I can't understand how her fans have not noticed the whole "I make you wait and make you come back every hour" schtick.  She is a reflection of how our country is going, dishonest, money hungry, with no honor or integrity.  Barf!!

• Love 5

Word to what everybody else has said.  Honestly, I watch for the social engagement with you guys. (Isn't that just sad?)  I enjoy a good bit of snark, like we all partook of during the Semi-Ho days with Aunt Sandy. I guess that the difference is that with Sandy, at least she never ran out of new ideas and that's what made it so much fun to watch and "discuss" afterwards. You simply could not guess what she would come up with next. Even if Sandy was really in on the joke, she was always very earnest in sincere with whatever booze-laden fare she was offering and sold it.

With Ree, it's like she doesn't even try or care. It's the same old recipes over and over and over. I could make her salad dressing in my sleep and I've never made it before.  Every single savory recipe includes chili powder, cumin and that mandatory red pepper flakes and hot sauce. The woman's taste buds must be incinerated by now. I also absolutely cannot stand the way she panders to men: Her sons, Ladd (to a lesser extent) and her nose is so far up Chuck's butt that she sneezes crap. That also goes for the men vs. women's menus and activities. That's why it always makes me happy to see Paigey and Alex out doing the MEN'S work. I noticed that last week, those two had taken over the customer service/paperwork aspects of the cattle sales job, which obviously requires brains vs. brawn. It looked like they were doing a very good job of it, to.

I also am angry that this farce of a show and hostess are ensured the best airtime, whereas shows that were actually good and educational (e.g. Brian Boitano, any of the best FNS winners, etc.) get dumped in favor of endless reruns and cobbled together "clip shows."  I will be very disappointed but not the least bit surprised if "Baked in Vermont," doesn't get renewed for a second season.  There's probably some "celebrity/faux chef wannabee" whose agent is knocking on FN's door who will get the next show. I mean Gesine Prado is Sandra Bullock's sister. Doesn't that count for something?? /being facetious.

• Love 4

I'll be surprised if Baked in Vermont doesn't get renewed. It's ratings went up every week and were at a respectable over 940,000 at the last episode. Plus Genise knows how showbiz works - probably why she got the show in the first place.

• Love 1

There is a small article about her in this week's star magazine.  It says that she and Ladd have racked up 300 traffic tickets and that they are both known as speed demons.  In 2001 Ree had her driver's license suspended for 6 months because she didn't pay a ticket for "no insurance."  How does a multi millionaire not have car insurance?  Something is very wrong here!  Why didn't Hy's judge husband fix the ticket? How can Ree forget to pay a ticket-these things just don't "go away" if you ignore them.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, cathy said:

There is a small article about her in this week's star magazine.  It says that she and Ladd have racked up 300 traffic tickets and that they are both known as speed demons. 

I guess when Ree says she's going to make "a quick run" to the grocery store, she isn't kidding.  That is one big buncha tickets.  Why don't they arrest Ree and have her work her time off in the kitchen?  Prisoners would clamor for early release to get some decent food.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Lura said:

Prisoners would clamor for early release to get some decent food.

Hee!  And it could be a new kind of rehab - shape up or you'll end up back here with your taste buds insulted to death.

I'm sure their political connections have a lot to do with being scofflaws.  Big money wins in this country.

• Love 3