Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

On 11/13/2017 at 6:20 AM, anneofcleves said:

Oh right.  I finally saw the cookie challenged and heard her make that comment about her kids brawling.  Didn’t she also say something like, “And isn’t this what Christmas is all about?,” or something like that? I about died laughing that she’d say that on tv,  but then the show just moved on without comment.  I assume that one probably would have completely ended on the cutting room floor if it could have. 

I think Ree is naturally a very sarcastic person, far more sarcastic than the saccharine personality she projects on her show.  Honestly, as a selectively sarcastic individual, I wish she’d be herself more than being so fake and saccharine.  It would be more fun.  Lol.

I agree. Aside from the garbage food she "makes" I find her show most annoying because it's all a farce. If her show was supposed to be ironic (Pioneer Woman she is not), sarcastic and fun and not based on a big fat farce -- i.e. she's not 'lil old Ree Ree on the ranch with 'er cowboy homeschoolin' her chillens -- it might be tolerable. She'd probably still have a show since all she had to do was buy one in the first place ... But hey, apparently the fake, lowest common denominator and pilfered recipes bring in the big bucks from those that love them some toxic China-Mart crap. 

Oh and it also gives Ree Ree something to do since the poor thing is stuck out there on her multi-million dollar ranch when all she wants to do is be in the big city. It sure is tough out there for a multi-millionaire woman who comes from money and married into a rich ranch family trying to pretend they're all actually out there working their tails off (sitting in trucks and getting filmed doing things they almost undoubtedly have employees do most of the time.)  It sure burns a lot of calories being that fake. Bring on the pound of butter! 

Edited by ohsrysly
  • Love 4

Is anyone else tired of seeing turkeys yet?  This week, I think Ree has made two of them, Tricia has made several, The Kitchen has made one or two, Guy's pal made one at Guy's ranch, and the list goes on.  Even the cookie challenge had turkey cookie cutters! 

I love Thanksgiving and always have, but this year has been overkill on the FN.  I wish they'd have just one, big, blowout show, with everyone making all sorts of sides, and if you missed it, you've missed it.  OK, maybe one re-run!  LOL 

• Love 2

I'd kill to see another episode of "Thanksgiving Live."  The perfect cast would be: Alton (ringmaster), Bobby & Giada, Ree, Ina, Eddie Jackson (eye candy!) I'd also throw in Lorraine in just to shake things up with Giada over desserts and a bonus if Lorraine flits outrageously with Bobby. We also need Nancy slugging away the Gigi juice in the background. I'd put drunk Nancy and Ree together to decorate the table. Comedy gold, I tell you!

• Love 6
7 hours ago, cathy said:

I read probably all of the comments on that article.  One man mentioned a book called "Killers of the flower moon."  About how many Osage Indians were murdered for their "headrights" which were the mineral rights to the oil that was on the Osage land, and that every Osage Indian was given as a member of the tribe.  Interesting.  A lot of nasty greed in the heartland.  The book will be made into a movie sometime into the future. I can't help but wonder what those Indians think of the Drummonds, especially Ree.

I read that book, which was really interesting. I admit I wondered about any connection to the Drummond family.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lura said:

Is anyone else tired of seeing turkeys yet? 

I would so love it if FN, for once, did a show on alternative meals for traditional holidays. We hate turkey. HATE it. We sub out ham, or steak, etc every year. 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, txvoodoo said:

I would so love it if FN, for once, did a show on alternative meals for traditional holidays. We hate turkey. HATE it. We sub out ham, or steak, etc every year. 

Yes & also a show geared to Vegetarians & Vegans for the holidays.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, ariel said:

Guy has a ranch?  Oy vey.  All hat no cattle.

All tips and no taste.

14 hours ago, txvoodoo said:

We're having bean with bacon soup, stuffed mushrooms, yeast rolls and Chex mix. Viva la difference!

• Love 5
22 hours ago, grisgris said:

I'd put drunk Nancy and Ree together to decorate the table. Comedy gold, I tell you!

Yes, grisgris, comedy gold for sure, putting these two together.  I can imagine Ree going for paper plates since she detests doing the dishes, and nothing irks Nancy more than a Thanksgiving table set with paper plates.

I always feel a laugh in my head when Ree uses booze in a dish (which is fairly frequently), and she's tempted to have a nip or two while she's at it.  With the two of them loving alcohol as they do, they'd be bound to guzzle a little two much and fall into a loud catfight.  Just the thing for FN's Thanksgiving show!  Even Alton with his sternest looks and sharpest words couldn't put an end to it, once those two got started.  Great thinking on your part!

• Love 2

Remember the year that Giada and Ree were assigned to create the table settings together? OMG! Say/think what you want about Giada, but I do think she is very good at setting up tables, buffets, etc., They are always simple, clean, yet elegant (for more formal occasions.) Giada had one of her "California minimalist" schemes in mind and Ree kept yapping about bandanas. Good times!

ETA: Ree strikes me as somebody who probably doesn't drink regularly I picture her being as the type who gets tipsy pretty quickly and gets pretty silly but I can also see her get sharp, cutting and sarcastic as well -- if she is around other women. OTOH, I can see her downing a few glasses of wine and pawing all over Ladd. Nancy, as we can tell, is a serious drinker and I can see her being a mean drunk, if you get crosswise with her.

Edited by grisgris
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, grisgris said:

Nancy, as we can tell, is a serious drinker and I can see her being a mean drunk, if you get crosswise with her.

I can see Nancy being a meanie without even getting drunk.  The other day on "The Kitchen" she related the story of her daughter's Thanksgiving table with paper plates.

BTW, I think that all of Nancy's kids are adopted.  Ree, OTOH, reminds us almost daily that she gave birth to four.  *rolling eyes*

Edited by Lura
typo

I like Nancy Fuller’s cooking, but I wouldn’t want her for a mother-in-law.  She seems like she’d be really overbearing about everything from cooking, to decorating, to raising kids.  No thanks.  I’ve said before, and for whatever reason believe, that Ree seems like a good mom who really enjoys her kids.  A mediocre cook who is riding her cash cow as far as she can, but a good mom.  Maybe some day the kids will write a tell-all book and shatter the illusion?  Pioneer Child (The Untold Story).

gris gris, I would pay good money to find that segment with Giada and Ree decorating a holiday table.  OMG, how funny.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 3
On 11/14/2017 at 7:36 PM, grisgris said:

I'd kill to see another episode of "Thanksgiving Live."  The perfect cast would be: Alton (ringmaster), Bobby & Giada, Ree, Ina, Eddie Jackson (eye candy!) I'd also throw in Lorraine in just to shake things up with Giada over desserts and a bonus if Lorraine flits outrageously with Bobby. We also need Nancy slugging away the Gigi juice in the background. I'd put drunk Nancy and Ree together to decorate the table. Comedy gold, I tell you!

Yes, me too!  Those were the best Thanksgiving shows in my opinion, I miss them so much!  I think the last one, a few years ago, was when Giada cut her finger during the show!

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, sandyskyblue said:

Yes, me too!  Those were the best Thanksgiving shows in my opinion, I miss them so much!  I think the last one, a few years ago, was when Giada cut her finger during the show!

I remember that one.  I think Giada had a few too many cocktails before the show.  She was quite tipsy.

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 8:20 AM, peacheslatour said:

We're having bean with bacon soup, stuffed mushrooms, yeast rolls and Chex mix. Viva la difference!

Unless you're kidding us, that sounds like a nice, hearty, relaxed meal.  Maybe you'll start something, Peaches.  Hot soup on a cold November day sounds like just the ticket.  I LOVE stuffed mushrooms! 

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Lura said:

Unless you're kidding us, that sounds like a nice, hearty, relaxed meal.  Maybe you'll start something, Peaches.  Hot soup on a cold November day sounds like just the ticket.  I LOVE stuffed mushrooms! 

Thanks, Since my mom became one with universe this will be my first time hosting Thanksgiving. It will just be me, DH, our son and my dad. We tried a dry run with the three of us and a roast chicken with all the usual TG side dishes. It did not go well because my kitchen is so small and we have no dining room. I made an alternative menu and everybody was fine with it. DH will still be making umpteen pumpkin pies and my son will cooking a traditional TG dinner for his girlfriend the following week.

• Love 4

That really does sound nice to me, Peaches.  I am in somewhat the same position with parents and brother gone.  Your idea makes me wonder whether your dad might welcome something a little less traditional since your mother (I think) always did the traditional feast.  Besides, isn't everyone just eating to get it out of the way and dig into the pie?  :) 

The older I get, the more I feel that Thanksgiving isn't so much about the food as it is about the family being together, if possible.  Sometimes it seems like we stress over the food so much that we forget what the day is all about.

• Love 3

Add me to the pile: I'm getting together with my family this Sunday and on Thanksgiving proper, I will be watching the dog show on TV by myself. I bought a frozen Uno's sausage pizza for the occasion.

Although, @Lura, I have to say family being together in this political climate is bringing me way more stress than the food ever could and that includes the year I got food poisoning.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Lura said:

That really does sound nice to me, Peaches.  I am in somewhat the same position with parents and brother gone.  Your idea makes me wonder whether your dad might welcome something a little less traditional since your mother (I think) always did the traditional feast.  Besides, isn't everyone just eating to get it out of the way and dig into the pie?  :) 

The older I get, the more I feel that Thanksgiving isn't so much about the food as it is about the family being together, if possible.  Sometimes it seems like we stress over the food so much that we forget what the day is all about.

You nailed it. My mom (and before her my aunt and my grandma, now both deceased) always made the traditional TG feast. But this year since it will just be the four of us I saw no reason to make the big meal. It should be a very relaxing, low stress day for everyone. 

1 hour ago, Qoass said:

Add me to the pile: I'm getting together with my family this Sunday and on Thanksgiving proper, I will be watching the dog show on TV by myself. I bought a frozen Uno's sausage pizza for the occasion.

Although, @Lura, I have to say family being together in this political climate is bringing me way more stress than the food ever could and that includes the year I got food poisoning.

I'm sorry you have to deal with that. We're all of the same lefty persuasion in my family so no political arguments on the horizon, maybe some gentle mocking though. ;-)

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Qoass said:

I have to say family being together in this political climate is bringing me way more stress than the food ever could and that includes the year I got food poisoning.

Poor Qoass.  It sounds like Thanksgiving just isn't the day to get the family together.  I think your pizza idea is perfect under the circumstances.  It sure beats another round of food poisoning!  De-stress. eat up, and have a Happy Thanksgiving anyway.

• Love 1

Peaches, you can be sure your mom is/will be looking down from the "other side" watching over you.  On today's PW show when they went around the table saying what they are grateful for everyone said things like family, but no one said "money."  Or "Ree's new Walmart line which just made us another million dollars."   I watched the kitchen today, Valerie Bertinelli is much more talented, so is the guy from the south whose name I can't recall.  I think Sunny wears wigs (I think many black women do because their hair can't grow very long, it breaks off for some reason).  Sunny should lose some weight, she would look better.  

• Love 1
22 hours ago, cathy said:

Peaches, you can be sure your mom is/will be looking down from the "other side" watching over you.  On today's PW show when they went around the table saying what they are grateful for everyone said things like family, but no one said "money."  Or "Ree's new Walmart line which just made us another million dollars."   I watched the kitchen today, Valerie Bertinelli is much more talented, so is the guy from the south whose name I can't recall.  I think Sunny wears wigs (I think many black women do because their hair can't grow very long, it breaks off for some reason).  Sunny should lose some weight, she would look better.  

No. We wear wigs to switch it up without investing a lot of money and time and being stuck with a style until it grows out. The reason for braided styles and dreadlocks are for protective purposes. Our hair can grow long if we choose to let it grow out.

And Sunny looks fine where she's at weight-wise. 

On topic: PW's new Thanksgiving special is another clip show. It seems clear that she's out of ideas and this show needs to put out of its (and our) misery. Best part was the turkey where she shows how to make the brine mixture then when making the rosemary-citrus butter, she says that it goes with the flavors in the brine because the brine has both. Yes, we know. You literally just showed us. 

• Love 6

I wish that Ree's long hair were a wig that she could trade off for a shorter style, especially a simple bob turned under.  I think she'd look nice in that style, and she might even like it enough to change her real hairstyle permanently.  She seems too old to be wearing hair similar to her daughters'.

Sunny is a creative person with lots of creative ideas not only in food but in other areas as well.  She makes many of the tops she wears and embellishes others.  It makes me think that she becomes bored with the same hairstyle (and makeup and nail polish) and likes trading off.  I don't think it has anything to do with the color of her skin but has more to do with her own fun and enjoyment.  Sometimes I don't care for her wig, but often I think they look good on her.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 8:20 AM, peacheslatour said:

Viva la difference!

I couldn't agree more!  :)

• Love 3

I didn't know Sunny made her own clothing. That's cool. She reminds me of a woman with whom I work. She loves dressing up (puts everyone to shame at the employee holiday party) and switching up her hair with wigs and extensions. When her hair was longer, she ways came in with different braided styles. 

• Love 2

And she looks and sounds no better on the Christmas Cookie Challenge for which she is a judge.  Honestly, are they so hard up for real bakers?  I've got people in my home town more qualified to judge!

• Love 2

I definitely think that Ree needs a make-under. For starters, tone down the hair color. I think she needs a shorter 'do, too.. However, with her round face, her hair needs to be either super-short or at least collar-bone length. Anything in-between is just going to make her face look even rounder.  I totally get the ulta pale skin that can come with the territory with redheads, but there are foundations in shades of ivory and "fair" that aren't corpse white.  She desperately needs to add some color (and contouring) in her face. The heavy black eyeliner and mascara make her eyes disappear.

She needs to look at some pictures of Nicole Kidman's makeup. Sorry, Nicole ... truly.  But that is the only person who came to mind when trying to find somebody who does the fair skin, red hair and blue eyes to perfection. That said, Ree's got some work to do.  The sad thing is that I think that Nicole is actually a bit older than Ree but looks 10 years younger. Ree has plenty of money to invest in good skincare and hair products, as well as cosmetics and a stylist/makeup artist, so $$$ isn't an excuse/issue here. I guess vanity or pride?

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, grisgris said:

I totally get the ulta pale skin that can come with the territory with redheads, 

Is Ree a natural redhead?  I guess only Ladd & the lawyer ex boyfriend know for sure. ;)

Edited by ariel
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, grisgris said:

The sad thing is that I think that Nicole is actually a bit older than Ree but looks 10 years younger.

Nicole had a facelift three years ago that made her the object of jokes among Hollywood writers such as Ted Casablanca.  Apparently, the doctor pulled her skin so tight that she could neither smile nor raise her eyebrows for over a year.  Although I agree that she'd be a good example for Ree to follow, I suspect it was the facelift that might make Nicole look younger.  IMHO, Ree is overdue for a facelift, too.  The sun and wind on the ranch can really do a number on anyone's skin.

• Love 1

I saw an interesting article about the "Mercantile."  Titled "Pawhuska-the pioneer woman mercantile."  The link is www.okctalk.com/archive/index.php/t-42787.html.  They talk about the merc, the Drummond family, and their wealth, and the Osage murders (of the Indians for their oil wealth). Interesting!  Ree does need a make over.  She has wrinkles around her eyes, and so does Ladd.  Maybe a bit more botox?  Or a face lift is in order?

Using sunscreen would be a good place to start for Ree.  I don't think Ree would have a facelift because that would really be the nail in the coffin about her being a phony/fraud -- an image she and her publicity are obviously frantically trying to bury.  I do think she does Botox because her forehead doesn't move much.  I am really surprised that with all of her appearances on FN, that she's never made a trip to the makeup chair. The ladies on "The Kitchen" always look good, as does Trisha Yearwood and Valerie Bertinelli. I'll even give the latter two some leeway because they are professional entertainers and probably have picked up a lot of makeup tips along the way. Ree is really doing herself a disservice with her current look. It's not iconic, just unattractive.

• Love 4

I have no problem with anyone aging naturally.  But there are also ways of looking attractive starting with a more appropriate hair style and color along with some make up.  Sometime I think she's trying to look like a rube to further the Down Home Gal myth.

• Love 5

I just saw the re-run of Ree's Thanksgiving challenge to Bobby Flay on "Throwdown."  She wore no makeup that one could tell, especially no eye makeup and no lipstick ... and she looked WONDERFUL!  She didn't smile from ear to ear during her presentation, and most especially, she talked in a normal tone of voice with none of the theatrics that she uses on her show.  I cannot believe it, but I liked Ree!!!  She seemed so normal, down to earth, and not "put on" in the least. 

This show made it oh, so obvious that she is nothing now compared to the way she was in the beginning.  It was enough to make you want to weep over what she could have been if she'd only stuck to her natural self.

• Love 1
On 11/18/2017 at 11:18 AM, cathy said:

Sunny should lose some weight, she would look better.  

Sunny has ulcerative colitis, which can make weight loss/management really difficult. I had a similar disease until they just removed a lot of my tract. You end up picking the foods that don't make you sick, which aren't always the foods that are conducive to weight loss.

• Love 7

I didn't know that about Sunny. That's too bad. As long as her weight is at a level that is healthy for her regarding BMI, etc., I agree that she looks fine as she is. I get the impression that she's a "bigger" girl naturally, so I can't imagine her ever being rail-thin.

• Love 2

She is wearing another ugly old lady flowy top.  She has changed her top several times this episode. She has crow's feet on the sides of her eyes.  I wonder if she will have the twelve days of boots this year.  I wonder if she keeps some of the boots and just lies and pretends to give them away.  I see both she and her daughters wearing what look like the cowgirl boots she has on the "giveaway."  

Edited by cathy
3 hours ago, cathy said:

She is wearing another ugly old lady flowy top.  She has changed her top several times this episode. She has crow's feet on the sides of her eyes.  I wonder if she will have the twelve days of boots this year.  I wonder if she keeps some of the boots and just lies and pretends to give them away.  I see both she and her daughters wearing what look like the cowgirl boots she has on the "giveaway."  

She probably buys them in lots so she gets a discount.

• Love 1
On 11/24/2017 at 3:10 PM, peacheslatour said:

Yeah, there's definitely too many contrasts there. She needs to soften her hair color, get a more natural skin tone and for all that's holy ditch the black eye make up. She should be using browns, reddish browns, chocolate browns and auburn shades.

Her hair color and make-up are much better, here, imo. (Granted, she's also younger, but still --without the Pennywise hair,  her eyes and skin come to the fore, and there's less need to pile on make-up to balance an unnaturally bright/unflattering hair color.)

ree drummond.jpg

ree young.jpg

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4

What is it that makes the second picture in film noire's post above look like a mug shot?  The background (which is probably just regular old blinds that might be anywhere, not necessarily in a police station)?  The intense stare with pinpoint pupils plus smile that just doesn't seem quite genuine?  The slightly messed-up hair, as if from some kind of scuffle?

• Love 2

Ree's eyes have such large irises that the eyes look very large and dark.  They're pretty, in a way.  When she dyes her hair brown, her natural color, it brings out her eyes and really makes them stand out.  Despite the brown hair and eyes, I would never put her into red or darker lipstick because it makes her skin look all the whiter.  I have light skin -- not nearly as light as Ree's -- but I don't look good in anything much darker than pink or a very pale rose.  I think Ree just isn't that interested in girlie things like makeup, perfume, jewelry, etc.  That's why I like Missy so much.  She dresses right, wears the right makeup, has a likeable personality, etc.  Missy is a real beauty, and I get the feeling that Ree enjoys needling her.  Jealousy.

• Love 1

But she loves jewelry.  I was in Chinamart today.  Her new cookbook is now on sale for a little less than $21.00.  The original price on the inside cover was I think almost $30.00.  In Canada it is $36.00 (I think).  So it is marked down a lot, despite having just come out.  Poor sales, or just a Christmas promotion?  I don't know.  

• Love 1

I saw the CMA Country Christmas tonight.  Reba Macintire's red hair is so pretty.  Ree should try to copy the color and style.  Trisha Yearwood is heavier than I have ever seen her.  Maybe she make's Ree's recipies, with all of the fat and calories.  Ree is the next fat cooking channel star.  Heart attacks on the way.

Edited by cathy
  • Love 1

Trisha has her own cooking show that airs in my market right after Pioneer Woman. For awhile Yearwood concentrated on healthful recipes but not so much now. I was surprised by how much weight she's carrying this season but she seems happy and healthy.

• Love 1

Looks like Ree may have some competition, I just discovered 'Homestead Table' with (another!) blogger, Shaye Elliott, not sure how long this show has been on Food Network, but after watching for just a few minutes, I would guess that Shaye is the answer to those, including me, who prefer a more authentic pioneer woman....

• Love 4