Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E22: Turn It Upside Down

Are they going for music themed titles?  First Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing and then Turn it Upside Down (third line in Turn the Beat Around - Vicki Sue Robinson or Gloria Estafan depending on how old you are).  I hate that I know that without having to fact check myself.  And it is an earworm.

• Love 2

Are they going for music themed titles? First Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing and then Turn it Upside Down (third line in Turn the Beat Around - Vicki Sue Robinson or Gloria Estafan depending on how old you are). I hate that I know that without having to fact check myself. And it is an earworm.

Everytime I click on the last episode title!

ETA: I'll be glad when this airs so I'll stop hearing "Ain't nothing like the real thing, BABY."

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

My favourite scene, the one between Morland and Gregson - more of those please.

I'm also happy with the exchange of secrets between Joan and Sherlock - they function better when they're not expending energy trying to hide things.

• Love 7

While I loved the Gregson/ Morland scene, I wanted the good Captain to be careful.  Good to know he can growl just as effectively as Morland! Still, I'm more scared of Morland- he's a Magnificent Bastard. 

Sherlock and Joan's lively discussion about the particular case was handled well. Gregson/Sherlock scenes were great! Sherlock's father and father-ish figure meeting was as uncomfortable as I was thinking it would be.

"Babbage" was a flag to me, but I couldn't place why. Mr. Actionmage said it was the guy who tried to kill Sherlock before.  Then the final reveal for tonight? We need Kitty back.

• Love 3

My favourite scene, the one between Morland and Gregson - more of those please.

I'm also happy with the exchange of secrets between Joan and Sherlock - they function better when they're not expending energy trying to hide things.

I agree, I loved the scene between Morland and Gregson.  It got frightening when they started with the not so veiled threats.  Agree also with Sherlock and Joan finally revealing things to each other.  It's a relief.  I guess there was bound to be an unexpected twist but I didn't see Moriarty coming either. 

Lucy Liu did a fine job directing I thought.   The scene in which Sherlock shows Joan his mother's ring was so perfectly played and restrained.

• Love 4

While I loved the Gregson/ Morland scene, I wanted the good Captain to be careful.  Good to know he can growl just as effectively as Morland!

I adored that too, but will have to rewatch because apparently that is my hour to doze off in front of the telly.

John Noble (who I adore) looks so thin - more so than the last episodes. Hope he not sick. I was so struck by his appearance -

I noticed that his makeup seemed very thick and caked on tonight too. Hope he is ok.

• Love 3

I agree, I loved the scene between Morland and Gregson. It got frightening when they started with the not so veiled threats. Agree also with Sherlock and Joan finally revealing things to each other. It's a relief. I guess there was bound to be an unexpected twist but I didn't see Moriarty coming either.

Lucy Liu did a fine job directing I thought. The scene in which Sherlock shows Joan his mother's ring was so perfectly played and restrained.

And who knew that Sherlock's mother's ring would turn out to be The Blue Carbuncle? How very canonical. Edited by Rosebud1970
  • Love 7

Oh, show!  Don't tease me with a possible Moriarty return!  I really, really hope there isn't another twist, and this is what is actually going on.  And despite all her time on Game of Thrones and various films, Natalie Dormer made the time to actually appear; if not next week; for the finale!  If I am to be so lucky, we better get more Moriarty/Joan scenes, and I really want to see her and Morland.

I kind of suspected that Morland wouldn't be behind the assassination, because I feel like the show doesn't want to make him full-fledge, but the darkest shade of gray possible.  Not surprised he was a main suspect though, considering the way he was acting.  Loved his big scene with Gregson, and how protective Gregson was about Sherlock and Joan's well-being.  That said, I also noticed John Noble seemed thinner then normal, so I hope he's OK.

Liked both of the big Sherlock/Joan scenes: the fight after he finds out the truth about her going after Morland, and the scene with the ring.  

Actually didn't realize Lucy Liu directed this one, since usually when an actor/actress directs an episode, their character is used less, but if felt like Joan was in this one quite a bit.

Actually didn't realize Lucy Liu directed this one, since usually when an actor/actress directs an episode, their character is used less, but if felt like Joan was in this one quite a bit.

The only thing I noticed is that she was in coat for about the first half rather than note worthy fashion statements. LOL

I agree, I loved the scene between Morland and Gregson.  It got frightening when they started with the not so veiled threats.  Agree also with Sherlock and Joan finally revealing things to each other.  It's a relief.  I guess there was bound to be an unexpected twist but I didn't see Moriarty coming either. 

Lucy Liu did a fine job directing I thought.   The scene in which Sherlock shows Joan his mother's ring was so perfectly played and restrained.

It's a cliche that women directors are better at intimate and/or relationship scenes, but Lucy really knocked it out of the park. She is definitely developing as a director, and clearly feeling confident enough to direct herself as an actor. It helps when you have such high caliber actors as Jonny Lee Miller, Aidan Quinn and John Noble to work with. I also thought she kept the tension of the plot moving right along. I liked the high angles on Morland's house and office, which made it feel vaguely creepy and threatening, which helped to keep our suspicions on Morland. 

I also liked that Sherlock and Joan got over her little deception regarding Morland fairly easily. It's a sign of how much Sherlock has matured and their relationship in general that they can have a fight and move on without it being a big obstacle. He isn't happy, but he understands why she did it and is able to look at the big picture. 3 years ago, it would have been a lot harder for him to do that.

And who knew that Sherlock's mother's ring would turn out to be The Blue Carbuncle? How very canonical.

Great catch! I noticed the unusual and old-fashioned design of the ring, but didn't make the connection.

I knew immediately that Babbage was a fake name, but I forgot that Moriarty had used it before for her minions. I was still trying to figure out why the creator of the Difference Engine (an ancestor of modern computers) was relevant to the plot, when Sherlock revealed that it was Moriarty (dun dun dun).

If I was Morland Holmes, I would be impressed by the fact that people keep coming and threatening me about the consequences if anything happens to Sherlock. First Joan and now Gregson. I might be a bit bemused by it, but also glad that my son had people who care so much about him. I love that Gregson includes Joan in his threat. In general, he's very tender and fatherly in his concern for both Joan and Sherlock. There was a flavor of that in his scene with Morland. Sherlock's surrogate father confronting his biological father.

Overall, this was a really cracking episode. The plot was clever enough to be worthy of Sherlock Holmes (and Moriarty). Although in the scene where Sherlock was explaining why outlying results of the test would be useful, I got it way before Joan did. I hate it when they have her be stupid, just so Sherlock can explain things. I want my Joan to be a little swifter on the uptake. Although that it was her idea to look at taxidermists was good.

On a shallow note, I liked seeing Joan in pants. Most of the professional women I know wear pants a lot, and the gorgeous skirts Joan has can make her seem a bit over-dressed for the police station and crime scenes. Those high-waisted slim black pants were very flattering and the blouses were beautiful as usual. 

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 6

A part of me felt like we should have seen just a little more guilt on Joan's part, over the death of Emil. The hit may rest squarely on the shoulders of the person who hired the taxidermist to kill Emil, but Joan was playing in dark and dangerous waters, pushing and pushing Emil. Her actions may have helped put Emil squarely in the crosshairs. And even if she wasn't necessarily concerned about Emil, who made his own proverbial bed by spying on Morland, Joan's pushing of Emil may have stepped up the need for the bad guys to have him killed, which in turn ended up getting innocent people killed in the crossfire at that luncheonette. Two innocent people died because the bad guys needed to kill Emil and have it look like a robbery. That's partially on Joan. Maybe only a small amount, compared to those who are in deep, but she was still involved. Her actions have consequences.

I appreciated Sherlock laying into her after he found out what she'd been doing without telling him. But I also appreciated when he came back to Joan later and apologized for being so hard on her. I just wish we'd seen any of it have more of an effect on Joan. She seemed to get over the majority of it pretty quickly.

• Love 8

A part of me felt like we should have seen just a little more guilt on Joan's part, over the death of Emil. The hit may rest squarely on the shoulders of the person who hired the taxidermist to kill Emil, but Joan was playing in dark and dangerous waters, pushing and pushing Emil. Her actions may have helped put Emil squarely in the crosshairs. And even if she wasn't necessarily concerned about Emil, who made his own proverbial bed by spying on Morland, Joan's pushing of Emil may have stepped up the need for the bad guys to have him killed, which in turn ended up getting innocent people killed in the crossfire at that luncheonette. Two innocent people died because the bad guys needed to kill Emil and have it look like a robbery. That's partially on Joan. Maybe only a small amount, compared to those who are in deep, but she was still involved. Her actions have consequences.

I concur. It was reckless which is in character for Joan, but I think she should have acknowledged how dangerous it was. When Sherlock apologized, I was hoping Joan to reply back, "Yes, I'm sorry for keeping it so long as well. I had planned to tell you so we could blah blah" or something. It made Sherlock look like the bad guy and I felt they were both in a little wrong during that argument.

In any case, when they mentioned Moriarty, I almost squeed and said, "My Queen!" This show's Moriarty is one of the best TV nemesis anyone can have.

• Love 1

So was the Game of Thrones personality quiz the hitman took a fourth-wall breaking hint about Natalie Dormer?

I was worried they would overplay Joan's guilt and Sherlock's anger, but I liked how it went.  Joan's expression in the diner showed equally guilt and fear.  In the past when she's been sad or guilty she's gone quiet, and I think she's internalizing some of the guilt here.  I think she calculated that Emil was at some risk, but probably not greater risk than he took in betraying Morland in the first place.  Morland admitted that he was on to Emil's original betrayal, and he was about to be exposed regardless.  The bystanders are a difficult matter, and I do think she'll think about them often, but I would lay the majority of the blame elsewhere.

The secret sharing scenes with Sherlock and Watson were well done.  The moment with the ring was touching.

I am fascinated by the idea of a Morland vs. Moriarty showdown.  Sherlock, as brilliant as he is, doesn't manipulate things at a global level like those two.  He's both too moral and too impatient.  How many people in the world can their really be like Morland and Moriarty?  How much of the world do they cover?  And at some level, is their overlap between their organizations?  I have so many questions.

• Love 3

We're getting close to the finale what I suspected since Morland appeared... An epic Moriarty vs. Morland Holmes showdown. It all makes so much sense, the two people who caused Sherlock the most pain, yet in their twisted ways they still love him, and he loves them too! I think the most likely outcome is that Morland redeems himself, and possibly gets killed in the process while saving either Sherlock's or Joan's life. I just hope neither Grigson nor Bell gets killed! And yeah, Fiona could also play a big part, I mean Moriarty has to be jealous! I hope they did not screw this up, so much potential for an epic and dramatic finale with those characters! I hope Morland, Grigson and Bell all survives, but that is probably a pipe dream, isn't it? 

Edited by Zolo
On April 25, 2016 at 5:28 AM, Kathira said:

Although in the scene where Sherlock was explaining why outlying results of the test would be useful, I got it way before Joan did. I hate it when they have her be stupid, just so Sherlock can explain things. I want my Joan to be a little swifter on the uptake. Although that it was her idea to look at taxidermists was good.

This drives me nuts. Although I thought everyone was kinda slow -- I had it sorted the second they said Tetch took the test. Earlier the Captain had asked why someone would waltz into some guy's shop and offer him money to be an assassin with no reason to believe he was the assassin type. We were looking for a reason, and there it was. This has happened a bunch of times lately, and I really, truly should not be able to put the pieces together faster than Sherlock. I wish they wouldn't dumb it down.

Also, agree on the welcome appearance of pants. 

• Love 1

Anyone think that Holmes is over-dramastizing exactly how "bad" Morland is?  He keeps talking about the lives he has ruined and the countries he has laid to waste, yet we have only seen so far is Morland using that reputation and taking false credit for mis-deeds.

On May 2, 2016 at 2:15 AM, HawaiiTVGuy said:

Anyone think that Holmes is over-dramastizing exactly how "bad" Morland is?  He keeps talking about the lives he has ruined and the countries he has laid to waste, yet we have only seen so far is Morland using that reputation and taking false credit for mis-deeds.

That's been a central question since they introduced Morland, and on first impression he seemed perfectly civil. Is Sherlock way off base, emotionally compromised? Or are they lulling us into a false sense of security, only to reveal Morland truly is the Devil incarnate? He's certainly a shark, but is he just the boardroom variety or literally deadly? He certainly seems to be displaying more and more menace. One assumes we'll find out soon...

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, snarktini said:

That's been a central question since they introduced Morland, and on first impression he seemed perfectly civil. Is Sherlock way off base, emotionally compromised? Or are they lulling us into a false sense of security, only to reveal Morland truly is the Devil incarnate? He's certainly a shark, but is he just the boardroom variety or literally deadly? He certainly seems to be displaying more and more menace. One assumes we'll find out soon...

It will be interesting if the show decides to answer the question definitively.  My feeling is that Sherlock has his opinions admittedly colored when it comes to his father and as he has proved time and time again, he always assumes the worst.  Yet, Mycroft, who is no idiot, seems to have no real issues with Morland.  It is definitely making me lean towards the idea that Morland is just a typical international "fixer" that Sherlock has demonized due to his personal issues.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, snarktini said:

I seem to recall that one of Morland's "enterprises" was a toxic waste site that killed a bunch of people, similar to the Bhopal disaster.  He certainly showed no grief over Emil's (or his assistance's) death -- he seems to be completely lacking in empathy (except for Irene Sabine -- another case of "like father, like son?) from what we've seen.