Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E20: The Last One For Mom

• Start Topic

Detective Holloway (Jenny Mollen) continues to entrust Lt. Severide to watch over her young son at the firehouse while she testifies in court as part of an undercover operation. When the situation takes an unexpected turn, Severide is left to deal with the aftermath. The firehouse responds to a blaze at an art gallery that has a victim trapped inside and prompts Cruz to make a rash decision amid the chaos. Casey receives a suspicious package in the mail that casts suspicion on him from the Board of Ethics. Meanwhile, Brett discovers Otis isn't taking care of his own important issues and confronts him, but finds he is stubborn and more interested in rallying the troops to organize a trip to Las Vegas for the annual firefighting conference.

Go away, Gabby. 

Loved that the focus was on the two stars. The political consultant is shady imo and the board of ethics guy was a cartoon character. 

I predict Otis will soon join PeterMills in the Carolinas on a farm where all the Chicago Fire expendables can run and play all day long never to be heard from again. 

• Love 1

I thought I'd managed to post before, but apparently I fail at the new forum already.  :-/

The part I liked best actually was that quiet moment with Casey and Severide in Boden's office after they're told that the detective died.  Severide's all "I can't lie to the kid," and Casey says something about Severide giving the kid a few more hours before devastating him.  It was a nice character beat, and a good nod to Casey's own backstory.

Did Severide give Pouch away?  Because it seems like he should have asked the kid's aunt, and the stationhouse first...

• Love 1

I, too, was thinking about the poor aunt who probably lives in an apartment in California that doesn't allow dogs.  Didn't Seceride say something about bringing Pouch back anytime?  I was confused.

When the kid was thanking everyone and trying not to cry, how could everyone just stand there?!?  I expected Christopher at least to do or say something.

Severide talked briefly to the aunt before he allowed Pouch to hop into the car. And IIRC he said something about Pouch staying for a while with the kid - not forever. So Pouch is only on loan? Not sure that makes things better. But maybe the aunt decides to stay instead of uprooting the kid after all the trauma and he can visit Pouch regularly.

I have to give it to the kid actor - he was great. When he thanked everybody so politely just after having received the most devastating news of his life I definitely had something in my eyes.

Whatever happened to the little ballerina?

• Love 4

Gabby's raging jealousy is delicious. You started this, Gabby; he's going to have to talk to a few women in the course of his new job. 

The kid actor was amazing. Definitely had something in my eye, dammit. I'm sure the aunt is going to hang around at least a couple days to arrange the funeral and get the kid packed up and stuff - gives the kid plenty of time to get his feet under him a little and return Pouch before they leave for CA.

23 hours ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

The political consultant is shady imo and the board of ethics guy was a cartoon character. 

I don't know if the consultant can be evil. She's not chewing the scenery enough. I'm surprised they didn't give Board of Ethics guy a fake mustache to twirl so he could be sufficiently cartoony for a Chicago Fire villain.

In that vein, the Chicago Emergency Services Trilogy has whiplash-inducing differences in tone between them. Fire is a three-ring drama circus, Med is a boring drama-less drama and PD is actually a decent cop show with tension and storylines and characterization that persist.

• Love 2

Upon hearing the Ethics guy, my first thought was that he was fake and Cartman Development sent him to sniff out the situation (Goddammit, Kyle! Get your fat ass over there and get my money back!).  To top it off, Casey acts surprised to find out there is a Board of Ethics.  And then the consultant smooths things over by diverting the money to a charity and it's all hushed up?  My my my, said the spider to the fly....Casey, you're in trouble.

No doubt about it, Cruz, you screwed up.  But the ass-chewing should have been reserved for a more private setting, instead of in front of the public.  Someone always has a cell phone camera.  I did like Boden's affirmation of the situation when he said "Then you don't need to hear it from me."  That told Cruz that it wasn't just a Squad thing.  It was nice that the museum lady bucked him a little with that gift. 

Agree with Gabby's jealousy.  That was funny.  I wish we could have seen more of her interview.  "Well, I wanted to be a medic because I wanted to be a doctor, but my medic boyfriend left, so I decided to become a firefighter instead.  But I hurt myself and got all kinds of extra training from my new boyfriend, just before he got me pregnant. So I became an arson investigator.  But then I miscarried so I got back on the engine.  Or was it the Truck? The Squad?  I can't remember.  Anyway, since I talked my boyfriend into becoming an alderman, everything's good now.  Except for the women.  What was the question, again?"

I don't follow CPD, so was there anything extra on the shooting incident?

• Love 1

I asked this question last week but didn't get an answer - when did they introduce this lady detective with the young son? Was it on this show, or one of the spin-offs? I guess it doesn't matter now because she's gone, but honestly. How are we supposed to be invested in any of these characters when people come and go so quickly? A two-episode story arc is about as long as you can expect on this show. 

And is anyone else startled whenever they show Stella? It's like they dropped this character into the show out of nowhere and then acted like she's been there all the time. Every time I see her I have to think for a second "who is this woman?" 

It's kind of the same with the young paramedic guy working with Shay. I know he started out as a candidate but what happened to him that got him bumped down to paramedic?

Capp has been on this show since Day 1 and they have never done anything with his character. That actor has the most thankless job on the show.

• Love 2

I was honestly surprised that when the kid was finally told about his mom, nobody thought to draw the blinds and give the kid some privacy. Instead, they ALL watched as the child's world shattered.  I get it was supposed to be a 'moment' but it just came across as creepy and gross.  This child will never be the same, the grown assed adults? They will be FINE. So not only did they watch, but the focus of the scene was on their reaction. Terrible. And then the kid comes out and behaves like a grown up while the fire crew stand around. Straight up bizarre.

• Love 4
On April 27, 2016 at 0:02 PM, squidprincess said:

Did Severide give Pouch away?  Because it seems like he should have asked the kid's aunt, and the stationhouse first...

When the kid went out the door with his aunt, Pouch got up and cried at the door. Severide said that Pouch had made his choice and then the next shot was him loading the dog in the car. 

1 hour ago, Fostersmom said:

When the kid went out the door with his aunt, Pouch got up and cried at the door. Severide said that Pouch had made his choice and then the next shot was him loading the dog in the car. 

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure the actual fire station folk own the dog.  I'm not saying he was wrong to give (loan?) Pouch to the kid, but it still seems like he should have at least asked Boden about it...

I took it that Pouch would stay with JJ for a few days while he and his aunt were still in Chicago. I loved the scene where Pouch was going after the French fries. She was hungry!

That dog's going to get seriously fat; they just finished feeding him treats and human food then Kelly says "Let's go to the kitchen and get him some dinner." 

Capp has been on this show since Day 1 and they have never done anything with his character. That actor has the most thankless job on the show.

Agree. I actually thought they were satirizing that when Capp could not string a sentence together during the interview with the kid. Didn't the kid even say, is there anyone else (who is paid more?; who has an agent who fights for better lines?; who wasn't just hired to look hunky?) here that I can interview?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I asked this question last week but didn't get an answer - when did they introduce this lady detective with the young son? Was it on this show, or one of the spin-offs? I guess it doesn't matter now because she's gone, but honestly. How are we supposed to be invested in any of these characters when people come and go so quickly? A two-episode story arc is about as long as you can expect on this show. 

I thought they introduced her during the episode where they found the skeleton of that girl in the chimney. Wasn't she the cop that got mad at Severide for pulling the bones out of the chimney?

I wondered that jewel21 but she looked different to me. But I just looked it up and yep, that's her. "Detective Bianca Holloway." Three episodes and I couldn't even remember the character's name. They did a lousy job establishing her. I still wonder if they did more with her in one of the spin-off shows (most likely Chicago PD). The way she was written was as though we knew her better than we actually did.

I watch Chicago PD but I don't recall seeing her on that show... It also hasn't aired in what feels like ages. I think March might have been the last new episode but I could be wrong.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 5:21 PM, squidprincess said:

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure the actual fire station folk own the dog.  I'm not saying he was wrong to give (loan?) Pouch to the kid, but it still seems like he should have at least asked Boden about it...

Actually, Mouch saw her whining after JJ left, and told Severide that Pouch had made up her mind.  And if she's anyone's dog there, she's Mouch's dog. 

I'm sure JJ and aunt are in Chicago for a little while; there's a lot to do, with funeral arrangements, school arrangements (though JJ doesn't seem to be in school), and if they are going back to California, packing, selling the Chicago residence or getting out of a lease, and probably a lot more I'm not thinking of.  JJ will be there for a while, and it would be good for him to have someone with some unconditional love to give.  Plus his mom liked her...

• Love 1
3 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I watch Chicago PD but I don't recall seeing her on that show... It also hasn't aired in what feels like ages. I think March might have been the last new episode but I could be wrong.

I just found out CPD is finally coming back with new episodes starting next Wednesday.  I'm glad, because I've missed that show.  And you're right - Detective Holloway was never featured on the show.  I'll be surprised if we hear anything more about her on any of the Chicago shows, but I hope Pouch comes back!

• Love 1
On 4/28/2016 at 0:27 PM, Fostersmom said:

They showed Severide discretely talking with the aunt before the dog went in the car. I assumed he was asking permission to send the dog along for a bit.

On 4/28/2016 at 0:50 PM, iMonrey said:

And is anyone else startled whenever they show Stella? It's like they dropped this character into the show out of nowhere and then acted like she's been there all the time. Every time I see her I have to think for a second "who is this woman?" 

The thing that bugs me is that the show made SUCH a huge deal about Gabby being a female firefighter...we saw how no house in the area wanted to take her on, how much trouble it took for her to learn to do all the things she needed to do physically, etc. Then suddenly here's Stella, no bigger or stronger than Gabby, and also working in the same field in the same geographic proximity. But apparently she has no such problems.

"Detective Bianca Holloway." Three episodes and I couldn't even remember the character's name. They did a lousy job establishing her. I still wonder if they did more with her in one of the spin-off shows (most likely Chicago PD). The way she was written was as though we knew her better than we actually did.

No, I watch PD faithfully...she was never there. 

My biggest issue with JJ and his mom was that his spending all that time at the firehouse was no big deal; but remember just last season, when Newhouse, an actual firefighter employed there, wanted permission for his daughter, who was older than JJ, to spend a few school vacation days there so he could keep an eye on her? And Boden made a huge deal about allowing it? But here, the child of some random acquaintance gets to leave her child there without anyone batting an eye. Bianca Holloway was just like, "Is is it ok with you, Kelly?" and he says, "Sure!" like it's totally up to him, never mind what the chief wants or if the rest of the crew wants a child underfoot. I know that JJ was a well-behaved, quiet kid, but so was Newhouse's daughter...

• Love 4
On 4/28/2016 at 11:10 AM, CoyoteBlue said:

In that vein, the Chicago Emergency Services Trilogy has whiplash-inducing differences in tone between them. Fire is a three-ring drama circus, Med is a boring drama-less drama and PD is actually a decent cop show with tension and storylines and characterization that persist.

That is the best description of these three shows I ever seen 😆😃😁