Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Kimmy Goes to a Hotel!

"Is she really talented? Or is she just tall?"

I know I'm probably overthinking things, but was the Christmas we saw in this episode the one from the beginning of the first? It had a lot of similarities but also felt different. And Kimmy's gonna have 15 Christmases to make up for the ones she missed so maybe it's not the same one. Idk I guess I wasn't expecting it to come so soon.

Kimmy and Dong running around the hotel was adorable. I think that's the dream of a lot of little kids, to have an entire hotel to themselves. Granted, not one as creepy and rundown as that one, but still.

Kimmy losing her virginity was...interesting. There was definitely a sweetness to it but she also wasn't comfortable doing it until Dong was handcuffed, so yeah, she definitely still has a lot of underlying issues there.

"I found a leaf that looks like January Jones. She's from South Dakota, you know!" ... "I didn't find the leaf, I cut it to make it look like her."

• Love 1

I'm enjoying the Sex and the City digs they were getting with Jacqueline and the lawyer.

Is it weird that I found Dong and Kimmy losing their American virginities in the back of a police car oddly sweet?

• Love 3

How has no one commented on the Joshua Jackson cameo? I never religiously watched Dawson's Creek, but I did do so with Fringe and he became a favorite of mine. I just loved how the scene played out with "Purvis." Such meta goodness.

• Love 15
Kimmy losing her virginity was...interesting. There was definitely a sweetness to it but she also wasn't comfortable doing it until Dong was handcuffed, so yeah, she definitely still has a lot of underlying issues there.

Um... but was it losing virginity? I thought there was "weird sex stuff" in the bunker as season 1 had alluded. (Of course, it doesn't mean she wasn't a virgin, but I didn't think there was any commentary on that)

Um... but was it losing virginity? I thought there was "weird sex stuff" in the bunker as season 1 had alluded. (Of course, it doesn't mean she wasn't a virgin, but I didn't think there was any commentary on that)

They've never clarified the "weird sex stuff" in the bunker (and I don't think they have to), but I guess I meant "virginity" as in, no matter what went down in the bunker, that was the first time that Kimmy had sex willingly and on her terms.

• Love 7

How has no one commented on the Joshua Jackson cameo? I never religiously watched Dawson's Creek, but I did do so with Fringe and he became a favorite of mine. I just loved how the scene played out with "Purvis." Such meta goodness.

Oh, I might have squealed out loud when "Purvis" made his appearance. I loved everything about it, and its probably my favorite cameo this season, because I adore Joshua Jackson. And everything Purvis said was right on the money.

• Love 11

I snorted at Titus' annoyance over not getting a Hamilton audition: "They're just prejudiced because I can't rap or walk quickly in a circle." Ha!

Kimmy needing Dong to be handcuffed before she felt safe enough to have sex with him without reflexively lashing out made sense.

I agree that Purvis was absolutely right about Pacey and Joey.

• Love 5

I remember seeing the Pacey/Joey sex episode for the first time when I was like 13 and I thought it was the most romantic thing ever, so I once again almost fell out of bed laughing during that entire Joshua Jackson cameo.

I hope we get to see Dong again because he really is kinda perfect for Kimmy, although I was really worried about them even touching anything in that hotel.

• Love 5

How has no one commented on the Joshua Jackson cameo?

I loved it especially when he was talking about Pacey's doughy boy body that would eventually become fit. That certainly came true. JJ was so hot on Fringe.

• Love 6

I'm liking that at the core of the OTT stuff Tina fey seems intent on doing with this show, that we're seeing that the super perky Kimmy is partly doing that as aneeded act to not deal with the experiences she went through down in the bunker.

I just hope the OTT stuff can be dialed back a bit because I want to see a comedy rooted in reality with crazy, yet layered, characters.

we've seen some layers to lillian, Titus, and Jacqueline (I think introducing Mimi as a caricature has helped Jacqueline seem more well rounded in comparison).

Best part of the episode, IMO. LOVED every bit of it.

I was both happy & disappointed to see Kimmy go to a hotel with Dong. Happy because she was doing something for herself (& not being "perfect-ish"), disappointed because she should have stuck with staying away from him. And it led to serious consequences, so I liked that as well.

And I thought Kimmy having sex with Dong in the back of the police car (while he was handcuffed) was funny, sorta gross and utterly Kimmy.

• Love 2

The wiener jokes were classic Tina Fey where she can effortly mix really smart comedy (like making Titus into Scrooge counting his gold coins) with the lowest of the low brow dick jokes (which I found hilarious).

Kimmy needing Dong to be handcuffed before she felt safe enough to have sex with him without reflexively lashing out made sense.

What is interesting is that if Dong has a latex allergy does that mean they had unprotected sex in the back of the police car?
  • Love 5

What is interesting is that if Dong has a latex allergy does that mean they had unprotected sex in the back of the police car?

I guess they have a way to write in Ellie Kemper's pregnancy after all!

(Totally kidding, they're not going to do that.)

• Love 1

I love that the abandoned hotel was really a raccoon sanctuary.

Pacey! I thought I would hate Dawson's Creek based on a review I read before the show started that described it as My-So Called Life without the life. I watched it anyway and liked it but I quit watching at some point and then tuned in to see the finale, which totally confused me because I hadn't watched for at least two years at that point. One of my favorite cross pollination pop culture mentions was Spike saying, "Oh Pacey, you blind idiot. Can't you see she doesn't love you?"

I love that Kimmy and Dong had fun at the abandoned hotel. I would have been afraid to touch anything, but they did all kinds of fun stuff that was totally in character (spraying the fire extinguishers, pretending to work at the front desk, riding the luggage cart, taking candy from the vending machines).

On 4/29/2016 at 6:45 PM, stagmania said:

PACEY!!!

That's pretty much what I came here to say. I don't think I've ever been so delighted by a random cameo.

Not only that, but wasn't he wearing one of those short-sleeved button down shirts that Pacey always wore in Dawson's Creek? 

16 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Not only that, but wasn't he wearing one of those short-sleeved button down shirts that Pacey always wore in Dawson's Creek? 

Yes, and sporting Pacey's classic Cesar cut. It was perfect.

• Love 2

Joshua Jackson appearance for the win!  I did like how they seemed to make him look more like Pacey compared to his current look, since Dawson's Creek was being brought up in this.  It's nice that he's willing to have fun with it.  That said, for the record, I have no stakes in any of that triangle, because I thought Joey was overrated.  If anything, Pacey probably deserved better (Dawson though, was kind of a jerk, but he and Joey just seemed toxic and immature together.)

Love you Titus, but I'm going to have to say that Cate Blanchett is actually awesome.  But that tall line was still hilarious.

Kimmy and Dong go to a creepy hotel and end up having to call the cops, which will likely lead to Dong losing his green card and going back to Vietnam.  But they did get to have sex in the back of the police car, which was slightly touching.

Titus now quit his job, so I hope Kimmy has plenty of time to do some Uber driving.

Jacqueline and the lawyer played by David Cross was entertaining.

"Is she? Or is she just tall?" in reference to Cate Blanchett. Dying.

I don't see much chemistry between Kimmy and Dong (I can't remember if I did in season 1) and I think Ellie is clearly older than that actor but that playacting scene was worth it for the end when Dong pretended to "suddenly" see Sonya after she took her invisibility hat off. 

Lots of great little jokes this episode. Numbers are the most boring shapes.

LOL @ them trying to draw the Mondrian and ending up with that Jesus painting the woman "fixed."

I wonder how long they're going to keep Kimmy in this kind of arrested development. She's not keeping a stable job. She never stays with one guy long enough for intimacy to be too much of an issue. 

I feel like Dong's real voice (i.e. American accent) was coming out a lot more this episode.

Tituss turning into Scrooge was stupid but it made me laugh.

Great Joshua Jackson cameo.

Federal raccoon sanctuary... And too soon with the Trump jokes.

Wait... what? They weren't really able to do anything in the back of that police car were they?