Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3

• Start Topic

Overall, I enjoyed season 3 quite a bit, though the entire college application process as depicted on the show was ... interesting, to say the least. Plus, I can only imagine the number of financial planners who needed to leave the room after they saw Lorelai use $75,000 to repay a loan with absolutely no repayment terms (barring Friday night dinners); nevermind the fact that her daughter was going to an Ivy League school, there was no guarantee of financial aid to pay for said school, her place of employment had recently caught fire and was not fully operational, and she'd already had a history of needing financial assistance from her parents twice within the past couple of years. Oh, and she also intended to open her own inn at some point. So of course the most prudent decision was to immediately repay an interest-free loan instead of leveraging the investment into more financial stability. 

• Love 11

I was listening to the Gilmore Guys podcast, and one of their guests referred to Lorelai as someone who lives like she is wealthy, without having the money to back it up.  And honestly, Lorelai's money skills are kind of awful.  I think during the first four seasons, she has four separate financial emergencies.  First with Chilton, then the termite loan, then with the Yale financial aid, then again in Season 4 with the Dragonfly.  Yet the only time I think we see her take any real steps to address her finances was during Season 4, where she appeared to be eating out less and had cut down her cable channels.   

• Love 10

I was listening to the Gilmore Guys podcast, and one of their guests referred to Lorelai as someone who lives like she is wealthy, without having the money to back it up.  

I think that's probably about the most accurate statement I've ever heard.

• Love 2

I was listening to the Gilmore Guys podcast, and one of their guests referred to Lorelai as someone who lives like she is wealthy, without having the money to back it up.  And honestly, Lorelai's money skills are kind of awful.  I think during the first four seasons, she has four separate financial emergencies.  First with Chilton, then the termite loan, then with the Yale financial aid, then again in Season 4 with the Dragonfly.  Yet the only time I think we see her take any real steps to address her finances was during Season 4, where she appeared to be eating out less and had cut down her cable channels.   

And stop getting magazine subscriptions, cutting coupons and eating from the value menu. Funny she never did that when Rory did live in the house, but when she bought the Dragonfly, then she realized she didn't have the money to do things. Of course that nice 75K check you had to be about getting away from your parents again instead of going: "Oh right!" "I see an inn in my future, my long dream since I was 18." "Nah, screw my parents first!"

• Love 4

That's another way ASP just didn't know how to write wealth. Rich people don't spend like they're rich, they research and negotiate and consider. Especially old money--there's a reason that money lasts so many generations. Lorelai isn't wealthy, but she grew up rich, and would have learned how to manage her finances.

Up until that awful mall scene we saw Emily (and Richard) be very judicious with money. They planned their trips to Europe prudently, Emily haggled with Mrs. Kim for those prize chairs, etc.

• Love 3

A Tale of Poes and Fire - I wish we'd have gotten to see some of the reasons that made Rory change her mind about Harvard. Since we didn't, at the end of the day it seems that it took both Rory and Lorelai to reach the eleventh hour to realize that they've been incredibly childish; there's an amazing school at a short-ish driving distance where Rory could have the best education a person could hope to get and still could come home regularly. I can't imagine they'd see each other a lot at all if she went to Harvard and I find very hard to believe such a close mother/daughter duo wouldn't factor that in when picking the "dream school". It feels like the writers went through great lenghs not to touch that, but still felt completely comfortable in having Rory ask for her mother to stay with her the first night in College.

More and more I feel the Harvard dream came from Lorelai wanting Rory to go to Yale's rival school as her ultimate rebellion of the Gilmore values and proof of her accomplishments on her own, and somewhere along the way she kinda of lost control of that.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 8

I agree that we didn't get enough of the decision making process, but the whole "But Harvard is SO FAR AWAY!!!!!" dramz never really did it for me.  Speaking as a Connecticut native (especially given the geography clues we've had about where Stars Hollow might be located), Massachusetts is not that far away.  Boston may be a pain to drive in, but it's not like the kid wanted to go to Stanford.

• Love 2

According to College Factual, none of the Ivies qualify for the top twenty journalism schools in the country. That's a current list, but still adds credence to the all-but-canon idea that Harvard was Lorelai's brainchild, not Christiane Amanpour-wannabe Rory's. 

• Love 3

For the rewatch this week...

Those Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days - I realize what they were going for with Rory changing into a dress but that blue, long sleeved hippie blouse she was already wearing looked so much prettier on her than the dress, IMO....just not a pretty dress or flattering to her.  In my world she was already "dressed up" before she changed but that's how TV is.  

I'd forgotten how long the Luke/Lorelai fight lasted....all summer....wow.  The way they made up was strange.  I guess I have trouble believing Lorelai would be that vulnerable with someone who was mad at her.  But again...tv.  

Scone mix really was a terrible gift.  Maybe have the cook bake them up first.  :). 

Haunted Leg -Jess' "dressing down" of Rory in the market....well done.  I feel mean for enjoying it....but boy, she really deserved it, IMO.  Also, I enjoyed the Kirk/Lorelai subplot.  It was nice to see her struggle with a normal, everyday problem like letting someone know you aren't interested, but without hurting them.  

• Love 3
12 hours ago, junienmomo said:

I wonder what Rory thought when Christopher apparently did nothing whatsoever for her graduation from high school. Also why didn't we hear Lorelai taking him to task for it. 

It's little things like that reinforce the bad father image, but it didn't do any favors for Lorelai as a mother either.

This is from the Season 2 thread, but I'm responding here.

We really don't know what Chris did or didn't get Rory for her graduation.  The focus wasn't on that, so the show never said he got her anything or he didn't. There was roughly a 3 month time gap between the end of that episode and the beginning of the next. I think it's a big assumption to think that he didn't get her anything.

I just always assume that if it's not on screen it didn't happen. All the important things about Chris and Rory/Chris we were always told or shown even if it's just phone calls (usually mentioned by someone). So just as it wasn't shown or mentioned that he got her a graduation gift, we also aren't given anything for her 16th and 21st b-day. So going by the fact that everything we need to know is on-screen, and knowing the character of Chris, I'll just assume that there was no presents for Rory.

• Love 3

Finally caught up on the rewatch

Lazy Hazy Crazy Days

I like the sub-plot of Jackson and Sookie squabbling over decorating the house. They are such newlyweds, it's cute and funny.

Richard respecting Christopher for doing the right thing is a nice callback to his conversation with Lorelai in season 1. Doing what is expected is more important to him than personal happiness. The Gilmores and Christopher have the same belief that he can't be a father to his child unless he's with the mother. You'd think no one in their world was divorced/ remarried with kids. It's a very 1950's way of looking at families. Kind of a depressing episode but I liked the final scene between the girls.

Haunted Leg

Lol at Lorelai giving Rory a bill. Kids can be pricey little blighters.

Emily has an interesting plotline. She goes from meddling (her favourite pastime) and talking to Christopher about the baby situation to telling him to leave her home when she sees how upset both her girls are. I really liked her in this episode.

It's so sad that Rory thinks she doesn't need her dad. Her anger is understandable (and long overdue, imo). He did break a pretty big promise to her. Poor kid. I hate it when Chris and Lorelai fight. They both have a reason to be upset and it's painful to watch them at this low point of their relationship. I do like that Lorelai tells him to give it time in regards to his relationship with Rory.

Lots of family drama in these two episodes, probably why I was hesitant to rewatch them.

• Love 1
(edited)

In Application Anxiety, I would like to know how many takes it took for Jackson to get through the town meeting scene when he had to say "that's me, holding a tiny zucchini" without laughing.  That is the subtle humor that makes this show for me.  

Edited by FictionLover
  • Love 4

I'm finally caught up!

I am 5 episodes into Season 3 and already there have been 2 negative cracks about breastfeeding. I have to think ASP has some kind of issue with it. :/

The GG are truly obnoxious and superior in these episodes. The show seems to present it as cute that Lorelai can't remember the SH parents at all and that Rory feels so superior to the Harvard family, but it's just grating.

Count me in for loving the subtle humor, too. So entertaining. 

That said, I found the episodes from Application Anxiety through They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They? to be off somehow. Maybe just a little dull, maybe a few too many logical gaps (e.g. Luke, who's never done anything Taylor wanted, starts on a series of giving in to him that isn't completely explained by 'the girls wanted it').

Maybe it was the attitudes of some characters. I loved the notion of devil-egging Jess' car, but felt that Lorelai and Rory were unnecessarily mean. Lorelai can't say no to the neighbor, or no to Sherry for the baby shower, but gets all passive-aggressive, especially in Sherry's bathroom. 

On the up side, Lorelai getting roasted by the high school students and the blonde women in Emily helmet-head hairstyles were funny. The dance contest was embarrassing for Rory, but teenagers do embarrassing things, and the costumes and the subtle humor there was fabulous! Babette finishing after a few minutes, the not-egg salad sandwiches, and Dave Rygalski were all wonderful.

Not even Jon Hamm can save Eight O'Clock at the Oasis. Would a second date that you already agreed to really kill you, Lorelai?

27 minutes ago, deaja said:

I am 5 episodes into Season 3 and already there have been 2 negative cracks about breastfeeding. I have to think ASP has some kind of issue with it. :/

I remember the scenes from Oasis, what was the other one?

ASP seems to have strange "issues" with a lot of things.

11 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

I remember the scenes from Oasis, what was the other one?

ASP seems to have strange "issues" with a lot of things.

Oh you know? It was Season 2! I marathoned yesterday. It was Lorelai's Graduation and she said her high school wouldn't let her graduate while nursing and Rory said "Ew! Stop being gross!" I was off by a few episodes. 

I hate the ending of Oasis. Lorelai tells Emily she will go out with Payton for Emily's sake and then  is obviously put out when she takes her up on it.

For the rewatch this week....

Application Anxiety -this is a "blah" episode for me...as was Haunted Leg...and the next two after this.  That said, I'd rather watch a blah episode of GG than most other things.

One's Got Class and the Other One Dyes - Lane's storyline has a good payoff with her panic and reversal when she hears her mom's voice...heh.  

Eight O'Clock at the Oasis - Even though I just called this one blah, I think it's also a bit underrated.  I find their new neighbor situation pretty funny.  And wet teenagers with hormones raging...who doesn't love watching that?  :). 

Take the Deviled Eggs - Moving away from "blah" ness in this one, IMO.  Good townie episode.  Enjoyed learning that Jess works at Wal-mart. Two of my favorite small funny moments in this one....

Luke to Jess:  "Jess, are you a gigolo?"  

Lorelai to Rory:  "You want to devil egg Jess' car?"  

They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They? - A fan favorite, if my forum memory serves me correctly.  It is well done.  Hubby remarked that it's a good representation of the show as a whole....some seriousness (Rory and Dean break up) nestled in a charming episode with tons of humor.  Rory's disdain of Shane bothers me (and did in earlier episodes too).  Why so mean?  I know she's jealous, it's just not fun to watch and a bit disappointing.  

For me, part of the blah-ness were the characters who were there to fill time or make a joke, but disappeared and never came back. 

The town loner and the oasis neighbor are examples. We never learn what happen to them, yet huge amounts of time were taken up with them. It's almost as if the cohesiveness of the GG story was falling apart and the writers stuffed it full of inane activity from people we don't hear about again. We could have spun the town loner into Art in a later season, or had him show up at a town meeting, or whatever. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, junienmomo said:

For me, part of the blah-ness were the characters who were there to fill time or make a joke, but disappeared and never came back. 

The town loner and the oasis neighbor are examples. We never learn what happen to them, yet huge amounts of time were taken up with them. It's almost as if the cohesiveness of the GG story was falling apart and the writers stuffed it full of inane activity from people we don't hear about again. We could have spun the town loner into Art in a later season, or had him show up at a town meeting, or whatever. 

I completely agree. They were used so much and the point was to just use them to fill plot. We never got their home lives, inner workings, how they came into being. Then magically *poof* gone and never seen again. They were so busy getting ready to write off Jess and Dean at the end they could have spent time with the pay off of Rory and Jess and Dean breaking up. Instead Shane just happened to be with Jess when summer was over. Lindsey just happened to be dating Dean and they were apparently "serious" when the hockey game happen. If season 3 did anything, it sadly started the force of how over board Taylor went on things and Kirk started going from quirky guy to doing some very strange things that lead to even worst stuff down the line. I think the writers were so focused on getting to the end of the season with the spin off that never was and Rory graduating from Chilton. They didn't know what else to do that season.

• Love 2

I don't know why but They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They? will always be my favorite episode. I think mostly because it serves as a turning point for the Rory/Jess relationship but it's just a very good episode.

I just saw that episode just now and I absolutely love it. I tend to ignore the ridiculousness of how people were still watching at 5am, including Dave coming that early just to talk with Lane. I know it was plot point, but parents at bible study that early? Please.

I did love the dancing, and at Dean finally having enough of Rory, and of course the cute LL scene when they are talking about having kids.

I am definitely going to skip the Keg, Max episode because I will never get why Jess didn't tell Rory that he can't take her to prom since he's not graduating, and then forcing himself on her at the party. I hate how the writers threw his character under the bus just for a spinoff because I don't think that Jess would ever do that to her.

• Love 6

A spin-off that was pretty much set up to fail because viewers wanted the Rory/Jess relationship, not a show about Jess.

4 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

A spin-off that was pretty much set up to fail because viewers wanted the Rory/Jess relationship, not a show about Jess.

Weird how the writers, whose chosen mission was telling the female GG story, regularly destroyed the male GG characters, yet actually believed that they could write a male lead story. And got the funding for at least the pilot. On top of that, they (as mentioned earlier) pretty much made Jess unlikeable in his last few episodes of GG.

• Love 1
Just now, junienmomo said:

Weird how the writers, whose chosen mission was telling the female GG story, regularly destroyed the male GG characters, yet actually believed that they could write a male lead story. And got the funding for at least the pilot. On top of that, they (as mentioned earlier) pretty much made Jess unlikeable in his last few episodes of GG.

I hate that episode of gilmore girls, I avoid it every single time. Backdoor pilots annoy me to no end, like the valley girls thing during gossip girl.

4 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

I hate that episode of gilmore girls, I avoid it every single time. Backdoor pilots annoy me to no end, like the valley girls thing during gossip girl.

Oh yeah, me too. The GG part of the episode is actually quite nice, but the California piece is made even worse because I now associate Sasha with Anna. One of these days I'm going to edit out the California part and have a mini episode.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, junienmomo said:

Oh yeah, me too. The GG part of the episode is actually quite nice, but the California piece is made even worse because I now associate Sasha with Anna. One of these days I'm going to edit out the California part and have a mini episode.

I just don't understand why they thought Jess would just up and leave Rory. Yeah, he might have thought he wasn't good enough for her because he was flunking out of school, but I don't think he would leave and not explain himself to her.

I just don't understand why they thought Jess would just up and leave Rory. Yeah, he might have thought he wasn't good enough for her because he was flunking out of school, but I don't think he would leave and not explain himself to her.

I viewed it as Jess making a rash decision, and not knowing how to walk it back. 

The "California" part of Here Comes the Son is just awful.  You have characters trying way too hard to appear interesting, and a storyline centered around Jess at his most unpleasant. 

• Love 1

The broad strokes made sense IMO, but it was all so OTT and melodramatic. That spin-off also was the worst idea ever, because as they later rightly wrote into the show...Jess would hate that version of "California" just as much as he hated Stars Hollow. And I don't see him as someone who would stay long-term with people like Jimmy and Sasha. What rang true is that Jess wanted to get out of SH, and the more his life crumbled down on him, the more desperate he was to make that happen. Even if he'd finished high school, he wouldn't have stayed there anyway IMO. The relationship with Rory ending in a trainwreck was again really overdone, but I don't think they'd have stayed together long-term. Even as teenagers you kinda saw that they were very different people with different outlooks on the world, different goals and that they would probably develop further away from each other the older they got.

• Love 3

I hate Here Comes the Son and I'm not a Jess fan, but for some reason, I tear up when he tells Jimmy "I have nothing!"

The backdoor pilot focused on trying to work a story where they had already made Jess so unlikable, how Jimmy show up now made little to no sense. Then you add in characters that made no sense, except for maybe Sasha's daughter, but of course I see where they got the idea for Anna the single mom who wouldn't tell the father she was pregnant like it was the 1950s. I did like the scene between Jimmy and Jess, but I found Jess getting up and leaving like that making him extremely stupid. I don't want to get into the silent phone calls to Rory all through the season finale. Completely unlike Jess and when he walked off to head back to the shack at the end of the episode I immediately said: "That show will never make it off the ground." Don't get me started on how Jess then came back to Stars Hollow for his car. I would have left that thing to rust in peace in Luke's shed. It was not worth it and made Jess look even more like a moron.

• Love 4

Application Anxiety

I love Rory's facial expressions when the girls are in Richard's study. Alexis is good at contorting her face to show how freaked out Rory is. Their cluelessness in applying to Harvard and not realizing how strict the acceptance rate is bizarre. Emily made some good points. I loved the final scene of the girls walking together.

One Has Class the Other Dyes

I liked Lane's story better than Lorelai's. She so badly wants to do something rebellious but the reality of upsetting her mother looms too large in her life.

LANE: No, calm is for losers. I’ve spent my whole life compromising and being the good little girl and not doing what I want. Or doing what I want and hiding it and feeling guilty for doing it, and I’m sick of it. I’m sick of it. I mean, I even lost my first boyfriend because of all this.

Awww Laney

Lol at Lorelai knowing Shane was in the closet. I really don't like Jess but he does see the Luke pining for Lorelai situation correctly. The showdown with the moms kinda illustrates that even in Stars Hollow, Lorelai is an outsider.

Eight O'Clock At the Oasis

I like the conversation between Richard and Lorelai. They both agree the first cup of tea thing is ridiculous. Richard loves Emily enough to want her to have it, even though it's a silly thing in his eyes. Lorelai should know all about this. She grew up in that world and knows how important appearances are to Emily's set.

Take the Deviled Eggs

Sherry's back and is pushy as ever. I can't believe she didn't think forcing Lorelai to go to the shower wouldn't be uncomfortable. Even if she doesn't know what went down at Sookie's wedding, Lorelai is Christopher's ex who he had a child with. That would be awkward in any situation. It's good to know Rory is in contact with her dad. I liked the deviled egg scene and the following scene with the townies. 

They Shoot Gilmores Don't They

I really like this episode. From Lorelai trying to find a dance partner and finally roping Rory into it, to the townies in their costumes, to that final scene. It's all good. Oh, and Dave and Lane effortlessly being sneaky together. I am so glad Dean finally got a shred of self respect and called Rory out. Long, long overdue. We have been going through these episodes fairly quickly but this storyline has dragged on for months.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, hippielamb said:

Sherry's back and is pushy as ever. I can't believe she didn't think forcing Lorelai to go to the shower wouldn't be uncomfortable. Even if she doesn't know what went down at Sookie's wedding, Lorelai is Christopher's ex who he had a child with

Yes, she was pushy. However, I believe Sherry was under a misapprehension about a lot of things. I too am skeptical she knew what happened at Sookie's wedding. But  I also doubt she knew how little Christopher was involved in Rory's life until the last year or so or what transpired at the senior Gilmore home in early Season 3 when he wanted both Lorelai and Sherry in his life. I think she was given to understand that Lorelai and Christopher were long-standing friends who many years ago had a child together and that Rory was their main bond.

• Love 8

I believe Sherry was under a misapprehension about a lot of things.

I totally agree - the Sherry that we saw, the one who was totally invested in getting to know Rory, who wanted to take her shopping, go to her school events and have her spend time with them for Christmas, is not a woman who would be ok with Chris being a mostly absentee deadbeat of a father.  She goes on and on about how important Chris's calls to Rory are, etc.  I think Christopher just lets her believe that he's always been that kind of dad and no one disabuses her of that impression - not Rory, not Lorelai, and there's no one else that would both know that and have contact to Sherry to tell her (though you can imagine how a conversation to that effect between Emily and Sherry would go!)

The only thing that saves Chris as a character for me is David Sutcliffe.  Without the chemistry that he and Lauren Graham have, I would find Christopher completely irredeemable.

• Love 4
  1. 2 hours ago, Eeksquire said:

I think Christopher just lets her believe that he's always been that kind of dad and no one disabuses her of that impression

She may have been corrected in her misapprehensions once Gigi came along. Perhaps Christopher whined to her, "Lorelai never expected me to change diapers or spend time with Rory. Why should I now?"

• Love 1

Perhaps Christopher whined to her, "Lorelai never expected me to change diapers or spend time with Rory.

Which could explain the sudden Exodus to France scenario.  She got fed up and ditched the two children in her life.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, dustylil said:

Yes, she was pushy. However, I believe Sherry was under a misapprehension about a lot of things. I too am skeptical she knew what happened at Sookie's wedding. But  I also doubt she knew how little Christopher was involved in Rory's life until the last year or so or what transpired at the senior Gilmore home in early Season 3 when he wanted both Lorelai and Sherry in his life. I think she was given to understand that Lorelai and Christopher were long-standing friends who many years ago had a child together and that Rory was their main bond.

It just feels a little insensitive, though that is on par with Sherry's characterization. The only time they spent together was that one scene in season two when Sherry visited Stars Hollow (and pointedly said she didn't want a friendship with Lorelai), now she's inviting her to a baby shower. I think Sherry is one of those assertive people who doesn't realize how their words/actions can be interpreted as impolite.

6 hours ago, Eeksquire said:

I think Christopher just lets her believe that he's always been that kind of dad and no one disabuses her of that impression - not Rory, not Lorelai, and there's no one else that would both know that and have contact to Sherry to tell her (though you can imagine how a conversation to that effect between Emily and Sherry would go!)

The only thing that saves Chris as a character for me is David Sutcliffe.  Without the chemistry that he and Lauren Graham have, I would find Christopher completely irredeemable.

He doesn't though. When Sherry first meets Lorelai she says Chris told her that he wasn't around when Rory was younger. I don't think she knows about their latest estrangement and reconciliation. I think Sherry believes he wants to do things differently with G.G.

I partly agree. David Sutcliffe is very charming in this role and I can't help but like him. His chemistry with Lauren is so good that I am instantly hooked. I don't think the character has done anything irredeemable but that's me. 

• Love 1
  • 23 minutes ago, hippielamb said:

When Sherry first meets Lorelai she says Chris told her that he wasn't around when Rory was younger

Not around  is one thing (he was working and living in California for some of that time, as we know), not providing financial support is something else again. By me, that makes him irredeemable.

24 minutes ago, hippielamb said:

now she's inviting her to a baby shower

Not really. Lorelai wasn't actually invited to the shower and Sherry didn't think she would want to come. It was only when Lorelai was dropping  Rory off  was she asked to attend. Now if Rory  had taken transit, Lorelai would not have been placed in that uncomfortable situation :)

• Love 1
17 hours ago, dustylil said:

Not around  is one thing (he was working and living in California for some of that time, as we know), not providing financial support is something else again. By me, that makes him irredeemable.

Not really. Lorelai wasn't actually invited to the shower and Sherry didn't think she would want to come. It was only when Lorelai was dropping  Rory off  was she asked to attend. Now if Rory  had taken transit, Lorelai would not have been placed in that uncomfortable situation :)

Fair point. There are a lot of single moms who have babydaddies who similar to Chris in that regard. You can hope he has changed for the benefit of the child or hold a grudge. Whether child support was an issue or not, I like that Lorelai encourages Rory and Chris to have a relationship. 

Lol by standing in front of Lorelai's jeep. Sherry's got moxie, that's for sure.

• Love 1

Deep Fried Thanksgiving - I love this episode, but for this rewatch I'm just going to nitpick a little bit, because that's what came into my mind as I watched it.

• Lorelai's creepy statement to Dean is, well, creepy: 

Just because you and Rory broke up doesn't mean we did.

• Angel Rory so got a pass for hiding the safety school applications from her mother, and (in this case poor) Emily absorbed the pain. 
  • Richard stood up to cut the ceremonial turkey slice, but the precut slice slid off the turkey before he could start
  • Emily's couture suit at Thanksgiving dinner was not properly tailored. Miss Celine would have had the vapors
  • Dave looked way too old for Lane somehow

I will always love

• How casually Lorelai takes Luke's marshmallows off his sweet potatoes. Like she's done it for a million years.
  • Sookie drunk
  • Babette's advice to Rory about kissing
  • Love 5

Let the Games Begin 

Wow, Richard is manipulative in this one. I think Rory's words to him had the biggest effect because of how close they are. As much as Lorelai cares for Rory's future and well-being, it's hard to believe she would be acting this way. Of course, it's what the plot calls for. I just wish they did it in a way where Lorelai didn't appear so uninformed. 

The early scenes of Richard and Emily reminiscing are cute. Lorelai's surprise that Emily was the other woman is funny. More layers to Emily Gilmore. 

Deep Fried Korean Thanksgiving

More university drama that goes along with what I said above. Lorelai doesn't know about safety schools? Come on. It stretches believability for me. Chilton would have no doubt sent notices/emails about choosing schools along with a meeting like they did in season 1 for the AP test. This is way more important than that. 

I like this episode mainly for the comedy and there are quite a few funny moments. Drunk Sookie, Babette critiquing the Rory and Jess kiss, Dave and Lane's convoluted intrigue plans. It's all good. Dean and Lorelai in the market. 

21 minutes ago, junienmomo said:

Deep Fried Thanksgiving - I love this episode, but for this rewatch I'm just going to nitpick a little bit, because that's what came into my mind as I watched it.

• Lorelai's creepy statement to Dean is, well, creepy: 

Just because you and Rory broke up doesn't mean we did.

I always crack up at that scene. Lol Lorelai! I guess it can be read creepy but they have a very peer based friendship. *shrug* 

Another nitpick: I just started rewatching That'll Do Pig and they misspell Marion Ross' name on the netflix version. I can't remember if it's like that on the DVDs or not. 

• Love 3

Season 3 is tiresome for me. A few good episodes here and there, but overall blah.

That'll Do Pig is only good for about 15 seconds of Emily vs Trix. Still more than is good in I Solemnly Swear. Alex is blah. Chilton drama is dumb. 

Deaja, I never realized until this rewatch how blah I am about so many season three episodes.  Sookie's freak out over Joe makes I Solemnly Swear for me, but it is a bit of a slow episode.  There are a couple of episodes that I absolutely adore in this season though...A Deep Fried Korean Thanksgiving and Dear Emily and Richard.  Lazy Hazy, Pinocchio and They Shoot Gilmores are strong as well.  

• Love 3