Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3

• Start Topic

So I have a question.  When Luke asked Lorelai if he should go on the cruise with Nicole he said something like "considering everything" kind of uncomfortably and it seemed he was implying something between he and Lorelai.  Did anyone else feel that is what he meant and if so, what happened that season that he would be referring to? The chemistry between them seemed to dissipate a bit that season.  

Edited by FictionLover
6 hours ago, FictionLover said:

When Luke asked Lorelai if he should go on the cruse with Nicole he said something like "considering everything" kind of uncomfortably and it seemed he was implying something between he and Lorelai.

I always took it that way. I don't think it was anything specific, I think he was just hoping Lorelai would finally speak up and give him a reason to cancel the trip.

Wow Application Anxiety is awful. Rory the journalist wannabe can't call someone who is expecting her call.

Lorelai is too nervous and awkward at the lunch trying to impress them when she first arrives. She should know how to act at a social event like that.

• Love 5
On 10/4/2019 at 6:50 PM, cleo said:

Wow Application Anxiety is awful. Rory the journalist wannabe can't call someone who is expecting her call

This bothered me too. She has expressed that she wants to be a Journalist, calling someone who is expecting a call from her should be easy then. I get being nervous as I'm an introvert, but I wouldn't want to be a journalist. As it was discussed on another thread, the career really didn't fit her personality.  As for Lorelai, that seemed in character for her.

• Love 7

It's 8 o clock at the oasis. He went on a date with Lorelai but he probably only had 5 mins of screentime. During which time all I could think is that is one smoking hot couple lol. Although his haircut was not quite as good as in Madmen. Seriously I did think they had chemistry, but I have a crush on both of them.

• LOL 3

He’s the guy Lorelai met at Emily’s auction. They split the last Merlot. Their date didn’t go well on Lorelai’s end. He waxed poetic about his car, sniffed and slurped the wine. But Emily insisted they go on their second date, which was to a Bowie concert.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

But Emily insisted they go on their second date, which was to a Bowie concert.

Which was not the first time that my eyes rolled all the way to the back of my head.  The elder Gilmores demanding she date a guy she had no interest in?  Stupid.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

No but from everything Lorelai describes about their date Peyton sounded boring. He talked forever about his car, then pilot's license and wine. They went on a date, it didn't work out and that should have been the end of it. I've always wondered what the Peyton said about it because Lorelai's account he didn't seem that interested in her either. So I don't know how or why it blew up into some big thing. Emily's all worried that his Mommy is going to do something at some tea against Emily. For what? One date? Does she do that for every date he goes on that doesn't work out. Richard calling Lorelai and saying he was going to talk with Peyton's daddy to see how bad the damage is. What damage? It was one date. Why is everyone making such a fuss. One of them I think Richard says there's rules or something that you have go on two dates which seem extremely unlikely. Either Peyton is pathetic and went whining to Mommy or he has a mother who goes crazy about their son being rejected. Given the role his actor ends up playing in Mad Men it would be hilarious if turned out Peyton had gone whining to his mommy.  

• LOL 2

Peyton initially asked Lorelai to the Bowie concert and she said yes. It was still a ways off, so they had dinner first, during which Lorelai had such a bad time that she, like a normal person, decided to cancel the concert date. But because she’d already committed to it, Emily expected her to honor it, since Emily was involved in getting them together and there would be social consequences if Lorelai flaked. Not an actual thing that happens, but here we are. Ultimately, Lorelai honored her commitment to the concert to keep the peace. 

I can’t imagine what a bore someone must be that seeing David Bowie live is still not worth the effort it takes to spend a few hours with them, or how Peyton was so deeply unlikeable that he apparently didn’t have any friends who would’ve taken Lorelai’s ticket. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I've always wondered what the Peyton said about it because Lorelai's account he didn't seem that interested in her either. 

I took it as Peyton was very interested in Lorelai but Lorelai was either being humble/oblivious or even lying.  Regardless she was NOT into him after the date.

I could see Emily's perspective though.  Lorelai was going to cancel plans, which overall is pretty rude. And she was going to do it after Emily had gotten the phone number for her, so Emily was already semi-involved.  

Plus it was a concert. Not something she would have to spend a lot of time making conversation at.

1 hour ago, deaja said:

And she was going to do it after Emily had gotten the phone number for her, so Emily was already semi-involved.  

Yes, Lorelai asked for the number and followed up with a date. The guy sounded like a crushing bore even though we didn't see it.  That should have been the end of Emily's involvement. 

For both parents to demand another date for a 30 something woman is ridiculous especially since the whole "cup of tea" thing had nothing to do with Lorelai and everything to do with Emily.

• Love 5

If she hadn't already set it up, I would agree. But she had agreed to go to a concert - which likely means a ticket had already been bought.  To cancel for no real reason than "I don't want to" is rude.  Even leaving Emily out of it completely, it's just a rude thing to do.

1 hour ago, deaja said:

If she hadn't already set it up, I would agree. But she had agreed to go to a concert - which likely means a ticket had already been bought.  To cancel for no real reason than "I don't want to" is rude.  Even leaving Emily out of it completely, it's just a rude thing to do.

But didn't he already have the tickets when he asked Lorelai? Presumably he friends (possibly other wine snobs or car aficionados) he could go with. It may be slightly rude to bail but a second date isn't guaranteed by the Constitution. She was under no obligation to go.

• Love 7

Well, obviously you can cancel plans without violating the Constitution.  But I would argue when you make plans with someone, you do have an obligation to go. Unless your reason is more complex than "he was boring."  

1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Yes, Lorelai asked for the number and followed up with a date. The guy sounded like a crushing bore even though we didn't see it.  That should have been the end of Emily's involvement. 

For both parents to demand another date for a 30 something woman is ridiculous especially since the whole "cup of tea" thing had nothing to do with Lorelai and everything to do with Emily.

It really should have been. They went to dinner and it didn't work out. That's it. Lorelai's under no obligation to keep a second date with someone that she knows she doesn't like. I don't really understand why its rude to of her to cancel their second date. Are people not allowed cancel dates? Especially adults? Now Peyton can still go to the concert with friend or ask someone else. It would have been wrong of Lorelai to keep the second date just so she could see Bowie when she knows she has zero interest in the guy taking her. Lorelai does the mature thing and I'm assuming Peyton by canceling their second date and their parents flip out.  

• Love 8
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

But didn't he already have the tickets when he asked Lorelai?

He did so it's not like he spent any money just for Lorelai.  And, if done sincerely and kindly, I see nothing wrong with cancelling plans with anyone with whom I would have a miserable time.  And I certainly wouldn't make myself suffer through something just because Mommy and Daddy demanded it to maintain some stupid social rank. 

I don't know about anyone else but my parents never once dictated with whom I should and should not go out, certainly not when I was an adult!

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

He did so it's not like he spent any money just for Lorelai.  And, if done sincerely and kindly, I see nothing wrong with cancelling plans with anyone with whom I would have a miserable time.  And I certainly wouldn't make myself suffer through something just because Mommy and Daddy demanded it to maintain some stupid social rank. 

I don't know about anyone else but my parents never once dictated with whom I should and should not go out, certainly not when I was an adult!

Agree. This is another example of the writers showing us that the elder Gilmores cared more about their social standing than their own daughter. No wonder Lorelai packed up and left. She says at one point she was an embarrassment to her parents when she got pregnant and had a child, gasp, out of wedlock.

• Love 4

I'm almost finished my rewatch of season 3. It is kind of boring over all. 

The way Lorelai treated Max was atrocious. Not the not marrying him- she didn't love him, she dumped him, whatever. But when he pops up in season 3 she really comes across as just wanting Max to still be into her, even though she doesn't really want him. I have no doubt if they had started up again Lorelai would have dumped him within weeks. She just wanted someone to be into her.

Jess is an interesting character and I most like watching him and Luke. Him and Rory- what a terrible relationship. They don't trust one another- he doesn't trust her with her ex, she thinks he got into a fight and doesn't believe his denial (the ep with the goose). He is not into anything she is into. 

I do love all the side characters though- Tom the contractor, Kirk, etc. 

I always take a break but will start season 4 in a few months.

It took me a minute to realize Nicole was the mean mom from the New Adventures of Old Christine. 

And Alex I guess just disappeared?

• Love 2
11 hours ago, cleo said:

She just wanted someone to be into her.

I would go one step further to suggest that Lorelai wanted everyone to like her all the time. It seemed to be a part of her relationship with Christopher, even with her parents. On numerous occasions she pushed herself to the front, I think for attention as well.

Rory was meant to crash herself on the rocks of Jess. It makes me wonder that even though Lorelai talked about talking about sex with Rory, maybe she didn’t teach her much about taking control of her relationships, neither sexually nor generally.

It really was a good season for Stars Hollow characters and their shenanigans, wasn’t it?

• Love 3

I would go one step further to suggest that Lorelai wanted everyone to like her all the time. It seemed to be a part of her relationship with Christopher, even with her parents. On numerous occasions she pushed herself to the front, I think for attention as well.

i would take it even a step further. lorelai's need to be liked was so pathological that she let innumerable insults, jibes and scornful disdain  from emily and richard slide rather than ever point out their hypocrisy and ill bred bad manners. things that would have sent a normal person to cut their toxicity out of their life completely.

• Love 5

I'm doing a watch through and then I am swearing off GG for an entire year.  I have a bad cycle going on and I can't seem to kick it.  

Season 3 is probably my 3rd favorite season of the 7.  I feel like I feel like Alexis is getting the hang of the acting thing in season 3.  Watching the seasons in succession there is an obvious change in her abilities from season 1 to season 3 where I feel she kind of levels out for the remainder.  

I like Jess.  I feel like he's a very layered character which is nice because so many of them are completely one note.  Jess and Paris are stand outs in season 3 IMO.  I like Lorelai much more than I like Rory throughout the series, but Lorelai had so many obnoxious moments.  I forgot how unlikable she is in some of these episodes.  

Haunted Leg is one of my favorites.  I DESPISE Christopher, and while Emily has many many faults...a highlight of this season (for me) was hearing her tell Chris to leave her house.  

An overall issue I have with Rory's senior year is the college application process, and the plans of Rory's friends.  How do you pay so much money to a prep school and NOT know how to write a college essay?  How on Earth did Lorelai think that Rory would get away with only applying to Harvard?  Why did Chilton allow Rory to only apply to three Ivy's?  She didn't really apply to any safe schools at all.  What would it have hurt to have her apply somewhere else.  Why does this show seem to think that it's either an Ivy or it's community college?  

I have two high school kids, and another issue I have is how unrealistic they are with Rory.  Our *public* school devotes an entire semester  in 10th grade to career searching.  In fact, I just had a sit down with my son asking him why he wants to be a doctor when he is gifted in reading, writing, and language...and struggles in math/science.  It came down to the fact that he's been talking about being a doctor since he had surgery when he was 10 and he just had never given thought about doing anything else.  Doesn't anyone see that Rory's personality isn't cut out for journalism?  Isn't anyone sitting down with her at school and saying, "Your PSAT math score is really high...have you ever thought about doing medical research?"  ...or something like that.  I just can't believe that this was her path all along.  I can only think that the Pallidino plan all along was to have Rory write a book at the end of the series.  Nothing else really makes sense because they wrote Rory as a very quiet and anxious person.  

Dear Richard and Emily is another favorite of mine.  I love seeing Emily and Lorelai on good terms, and I thought the DVD player was so nice.  That one moment redeemed the rest of the episode.  I enjoyed the flashbacks, but damn is Sherry annoying.  

A tale of Poes and Fire is a decent episode.  It's always fun to see Rory make a decision based on what is right for HER...not based on Lorelai's need to make her parents mad.  

Worst episodes:
Here comes the Son.  Such a bore.  
8'oclock at the Oasis.  I love Jon Hamm but good Lord.  This one was just tedious and annoying.  

The worst episode:  Application Anxiety because...really?  How are you a HS senior or the parent of a HS senior and NOT know this stuff.  And ATTENTION:  Rory is NOT that special!  

• Love 7

Haunted Leg is one of my favorites.  I DESPISE Christopher, and while Emily has many many faults...a highlight of this season (for me) was hearing her tell Chris to leave her house. 

i loved that too. i mean what the hell was there to talk about? sherry was pregnant and christopher was going to marry her. the end. i couldn't stand him. every time lorelai picked up the phone and we heard "hi lor" i knew it was going to be a sucky episode. why didn't he just go away? 

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, Meow25 said:

An overall issue I have with Rory's senior year is the college application process, and the plans of Rory's friends.  How do you pay so much money to a prep school and NOT know how to write a college essay?  How on Earth did Lorelai think that Rory would get away with only applying to Harvard?  Why did Chilton allow Rory to only apply to three Ivy's?  She didn't really apply to any safe schools at all.  What would it have hurt to have her apply somewhere else.  Why does this show seem to think that it's either an Ivy or it's community college?  

I have two high school kids, and another issue I have is how unrealistic they are with Rory.  Our *public* school devotes an entire semester  in 10th grade to career searching.  In fact, I just had a sit down with my son asking him why he wants to be a doctor when he is gifted in reading, writing, and language...and struggles in math/science.  It came down to the fact that he's been talking about being a doctor since he had surgery when he was 10 and he just had never given thought about doing anything else.  Doesn't anyone see that Rory's personality isn't cut out for journalism?  Isn't anyone sitting down with her at school and saying, "Your PSAT math score is really high...have you ever thought about doing medical research?"  ...or something like that.  I just can't believe that this was her path all along.  I can only think that the Pallidino plan all along was to have Rory write a book at the end of the series.  Nothing else really makes sense because they wrote Rory as a very quiet and anxious person.

WORD. It's especially ridiculous when you contrast it to the guidance counselor (?) at Chilton seeking Rory out over the concern over her sitting by herself at lunch every day because it reflects poorly on her people skills and thus affects her chances of getting into a top college. Yeah, that's way more important than sending a student out with singularly focused dreams of a career they are terribly, terribly unsuited for.

1 hour ago, Meow25 said:

A tale of Poes and Fire is a decent episode.  It's always fun to see Rory make a decision based on what is right for HER...not based on Lorelai's need to make her parents mad.

BOY. If I could ever pull a quote from this board and put gold stars around it and post if for all the world to see, it would be this one.

• Love 3

Doesn't anyone see that Rory's personality isn't cut out for journalism? 

I'm watching Die Jerk right now. It doesn't look like Rory is even going to get on the Yale Daily News because her writing isn't good enough. So she finally writes a decent article, a review of the ballet. All of her best quotes are not even hers, they're Lorelai's.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Meow25 said:

Lorelai still makes the decision for her though. They're doing the Pro/Con lists and Lorelai's the one who realizes that Yale has the most in the Pro column. She's the one who buys the Yale paraphernalia and redecorates Rory's room overnight and gets Kirk to make the Rory's Going To Yale shirts. Rory even starts to argue when Lorelai realizes that Yale is where she's going to go. Rory's happy about the decision but it's still Lorelai who ultimately decides to give up the plan of Harvard in favor of Yale.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Lorelai still makes the decision for her though. They're doing the Pro/Con lists and Lorelai's the one who realizes that Yale has the most in the Pro column. She's the one who buys the Yale paraphernalia and redecorates Rory's room overnight and gets Kirk to make the Rory's Going To Yale shirts. Rory even starts to argue when Lorelai realizes that Yale is where she's going to go. Rory's happy about the decision but it's still Lorelai who ultimately decides to give up the plan of Harvard in favor of Yale.

yep, that's right.

• Love 1
On 1/10/2020 at 9:48 AM, Meow25 said:

Why does this show seem to think that it's either an Ivy or it's community college?

This is something that always bothered me about the show. Why can't someone just go to a "normal" college and be happy with it. I feel like Lane or Dean would have been able to go to a state school as they both appeared to have the grades. While I think Mrs. Kim would have been slight disappointed she would have Lane go to state school than drop out (which what she ended up doing).

Edited by blueray
  • Love 6
On 1/10/2020 at 6:25 PM, scarynikki12 said:

I agree, and Lorelei had her motives for sure (close proximity) but Rory was conflicted and obviously wanted to go to Yale.  She was making it easier on Rory by accepting the decision by diving in head first.  It’s the Lorelei way...over the top.  Rory beefing her mother to coddle her into making the Yale decision is yet another reason why she didn’t have the spine to be a journalist. 

It HAD to be hard for Lorelei to admit defeat after the several fights over Harvard/Yale.  

• Love 3

I say this a lot but I wish they’d put Rory in a situation where one of her lists gives her a result she doesn’t actually want and then she has to actually make a decision. This would have been the perfect episode for such a moment. How great would it have been if Princeton has the most Pros but Rory wasn’t excited because she didn’t actually want to go there? She would have had to step up and choose for once. And I’d have Lorelai staying out of it, because this needs to be Rory’s choice, and then being so relieved when Rory finally picks Yale. 

• Love 8
On 1/15/2020 at 6:24 PM, blueray said:

This is something that always bothered me about the show. Why can't someone just go to a "normal" college and be happy with it. I feel like Lane or Dean would have been able to go to a state school as they both appeared to have the grades. While I think Mrs. Kim would have been slight disappointed she would have Lane go to state school than drop out (which what she ended up doing).

Same reason you're either broke or wealthy. And either a career woman who describes going into labor early as "Sherrie screwed up" or a devoted mother.  No shades of gray.

On 4/14/2016 at 12:25 PM, Garden Wafers said:

Overall, I enjoyed season 3 quite a bit, though the entire college application process as depicted on the show was ... interesting, to say the least. Plus, I can only imagine the number of financial planners who needed to leave the room after they saw Lorelai use $75,000 to repay a loan with absolutely no repayment terms (barring Friday night dinners); nevermind the fact that her daughter was going to an Ivy League school, there was no guarantee of financial aid to pay for said school, her place of employment had recently caught fire and was not fully operational, and she'd already had a history of needing financial assistance from her parents twice within the past couple of years. Oh, and she also intended to open her own inn at some point. So of course the most prudent decision was to immediately repay an interest-free loan instead of leveraging the investment into more financial stability. 

It's not about legalities and interest, though.  Lorelai never wanted to borrow that money in the first place.  She received money that she knew nothing about.  I can see her logic of why not take free unexpected money and pay off the loan I never wanted in the first place?

• Love 1
On 4/15/2016 at 6:45 PM, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Especially old money--there's a reason that money lasts so many generations. Lorelai isn't wealthy, but she grew up rich, and would have learned how to manage her finances.

Being a spendthrift may just be another way of her rebelling.  

• Useful 1
On 6/2/2016 at 9:49 PM, JaggedLilPill said:

would let a kid apply to only one college, but Rory had the paper and student government as her only activities, which would be fine except Paris was doing Habitat For Humanity, soup kitchens, etc. It also rang false that Rory was valedictorian over Paris. Unless Paris missing however long she did after the CSPAN freak out had an effect on her grades. But then we saw Rory deliver her assignments, so I don't know. Rory as salutatorian would have made more sense to me, but whatever.

I agree that it was weird that Rory was valedictorian, but Rory also had volunteer stuff that she did.  She was involved in every single town fundraising project.  She did Habitat at least that one time.  And I figure since she was so busy looking for volunteer opportunities that she had to break her date with Dean that she probably did finally find some things she could, we just didn't see her doing them.

On 6/2/2016 at 11:44 PM, hippielamb said:

I can't believe that Sherry expected a 17 year old girl to go in the delivery room with her.

Lorelai was in a delivery room when she was 17:)

• Love 1

Wow Application Anxiety is awful. Rory the journalist wannabe can't call someone who is expecting her call.

That really should have been everyone's first clue. Look, I get it. I'm shy.  I didn't like calling people when I was in high school either. But, I didn't go into a career that was going to need someone to be outgoing.  And, I can at least make a phone call now, so there's that..

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

It's not about legalities and interest, though.  Lorelai never wanted to borrow that money in the first place.  She received money that she knew nothing about.  I can see her logic of why not take free unexpected money and pay off the loan I never wanted in the first place?

I do like that Lorelai paid back the loan. It always bugs me on shows when someone borrows money and never pays it back (like Carrie never paying Charlotte back on Sex and the City or Shawn constantly using Gus's credit card to pay for trips and never paying him back on Psych). I really like seeing her pay them back.

What I do hate about is once again Amy's showing she clearly has no understanding of money. Lorelai pays back the loan, which somehow disqualifies her and Rory from financial aid for Harvard which makes no sense plus given that Lorelai hasn't been paying tuition for Chilton she should have been saving up for Harvard for the past three years and in theory longer then that since its been her dream for Rory, and saving up for Chilton before then. And of course also saving up for the inn that she's mentioned. She's worked the same place for 15 years and worked her way up to run the place she should be earn decent amount of money, and decent savings.  But no she somehow only thanks to the money Richard gave her she can pay back her parents and pay either for the inn or Yale causing Rory to make a new deal with her grandparents.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

Lorelai pays back the loan, which somehow disqualifies her and Rory from financial aid for Harvard

Actually, it does.  She had $75,000 plus whatever she made at the inn as income that year.  Maybe it wouldn't have disqualified them for any financial aid, but the amount that they would need.  Although, I remember one of the things my mom complained about when we were going to college and applying for financial aid.  My parents didn't make a ton of money.  We did all right.  We weren't starving, but we weren't rich by any means.  But, what my parents did do was save up for college.  Every month from the time we were born, they put X amount of dollars in our college accounts without fail.  There were other families in town who made more money.  They would buy new cars every year.  One family even had a yacht, which I find strange because we weren't that close to the ocean. Anyway, my mom said those people were getting more in financial aid because they spent their money instead of saving it.

My chemistry teacher also told a similar story about how his son worked through high school and saved his money (I don't know what he was doing to get enough money to make that much of a difference), but he didn't get one cent in financial aid, when all his friends who worked but spend their money did.  I don't know if this has changed, but they really do penalize you for saving.  So, maybe since Lorelai had "spent" the money, you're right and it shouldn't have counted.

2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

She's worked the same place for 15 years and worked her way up to run the place she should be earn decent amount of money, and decent savings. 

Eating out every single meal (barring the occasional pop tart breakfast) and having every single movie channel will take a bite out of your savings.

• Love 3

Lorelai is too nervous and awkward at the lunch trying to impress them when she first arrives. She should know how to act at a social event like that.

THIS.  I've said it before and I'll say it again...I was SO hoping that the scene where Rory gets her PSAT scores was a prelude to her changing her eventual major.  "I'm higher in Math than Verbal?  How am I higher in math?  Verbal is my thing!"  

The first time I watched that I thought to myself, GOOD!  Rory might be realizing that she would be awesome in medical research, or something like that.  I truly believed that ASP would eventually have a coming to Jesus moment where Rory realized that she is not cut out for journalism.   I'll say...she may have made a kick ass literature professor or something like that.  

When she couldn't even call the weird family for the dinner I was flabbergasted.  SURLY at this point she will switch gears....but nope.  

I really think that most of the blame lays with Lorelai.  SHE KNOWS RORY!  Have a sit down with her and tell her that changing her mind isn't the worst thing in the world and she needs to use her strengths.  When Rory even suggests changing her major because of a lack of funds, L completely freaks out, I'd have been like....Engineering?  OK sounds like a plan."  LOL.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Meow25 said:

THIS.  I've said it before and I'll say it again...I was SO hoping that the scene where Rory gets her PSAT scores was a prelude to her changing her eventual major.  "I'm higher in Math than Verbal?  How am I higher in math?  Verbal is my thing!"  

The first time I watched that I thought to myself, GOOD!  Rory might be realizing that she would be awesome in medical research, or something like that.  I truly believed that ASP would eventually have a coming to Jesus moment where Rory realized that she is not cut out for journalism.   I'll say...she may have made a kick ass literature professor or something like that.  

When she couldn't even call the weird family for the dinner I was flabbergasted.  SURLY at this point she will switch gears....but nope.  

I really think that most of the blame lays with Lorelai.  SHE KNOWS RORY!  Have a sit down with her and tell her that changing her mind isn't the worst thing in the world and she needs to use her strengths.  When Rory even suggests changing her major because of a lack of funds, L completely freaks out, I'd have been like....Engineering?  OK sounds like a plan."  LOL.  

I do wish we got a scene similar to the Middle when Sue's trying to pick her major and her parents are trying to be understanding. They do what her to pick what she wants but also something that's practical that's going to still be around in the future know what Sue's good at and what she's not better then Sue. Sue being the college student and Sue can't narrow it down. So many fields sound great. At one point she considers doing three or four majors and while all three sound great none of them are anything she could actually do. She picks theater which she's terrible at, German which her parents wonder what kind of job that would be and veterinary which Sue would be terrible. Frankie tries to talk to her and suggests narrows her focus down so Sue picks theater Frankie suggest not that narrow. She picks German. Frankie finally just tells her there's no family fortune and she's going to have to pick something that'll be what supports her the rest of her life. So she needs to pick a career that'll be around for years and that she can do. Sue of course balks until Frankie let's it slipped Sue's dad sold his business to pay for her sophomore college year because Sue messed up on her financial aide. Anyways Sue ends up going to her dad and asks him what he wants her to do. She'll pick whatever job he wants. Mike tells her doesn't want to do that and he wants her to pick something she wants. But then has a pretty honest conversation with Sue that you rarely see in TV. True most families aren't that poor as the Hecks are. But Mike tells her how hard their life is. He doesn't want her to be on first name basis with the woman at the utility company even though she is very nice and always lets them spread the payment among several credit cards, he doesn't want her to have to share one battery between two cars, or have to pray for a tornado bring them another appliance (In season one a tornado hit and landed a washer in their yard which they needed because their old one died but they didn't have money to replace it). He tells her how hard it is to live the way they do and that he wants better for her. He doesn't know what that is but he wants better. Its a great scene and its really nice to see a TV character being so honest to his college kid about how hard their life is. Sue really gets it. She goes back and looks over the majors and comes up with something that actually fits Sue but also a stable career, hospitality aka hotel management. That's perfect for her. She loved working at Dolly's restaurant, she could potentially have use for her German, and theater (although may not Sue!) if they have that at the hotel or restaurant. But there two really great scenes. I knew lots of kids when I graduated high school who went onto get degrees that sounded great but didn't research what kind of jobs, how many people get hired or the need for that degree. So many ended up with degrees that were worthless. My brother at one point wanted to be a park ranger, and found a college in state that had a great program. But then he talked to several park rangers who were very honest its a great job but they don't hire a lot of people. So many parks have the bare minimum of rangers they need. He called several parks and learned yes that's true. So he had to decide whether or not to go for a degree in a field he really wanted and try to beat the odds or go into another field. He went with the latter. It sucked but its better that they were honest with him and he researched it then spend four years in college and all that money for a degree to only find out afterwards when he wasn't getting hired anywhere. When I started thinking about moving out after graduating high school my parents sat me down went over rent/mortgage, utilities, cable, insurance, phone bills and money for food. It was honest and I knew what I needed to do to make that happen. It was also the second time I heard that.  My middle school also had this one program where you picked whatever job you dream you wanted. So say you want to be an actress in LA or NY great they had what on average the actress starting her career would make which wasn't much then take that amount and look for an apartment in LA or NY which of course was expensive, utilities, phone and food. If you didn't have a car then cab/subway/bus fare. It was real eye opening. A couple picked fireman okay how much did they make. So just when you managed budget all of that. Well, then the teacher threw in a loophole did you go to college? Well guess what that means student loans you have to pay back. If you went to be a doctor or lawyer well your going to have a lot more to pay back. So after being depressed a second time by how little money there was to go on. Then she threw in another loophole. What if you have a kid? Just one kid. Paying for doctors, baby stuff, food, and daycare. It was a real eye opening. You don't really think about that stuff when dreaming about a career what the pay is and whether or not you can actually support yourself on it. But to see it carried out financially? It was honest.

Now obviously Rory does have money to land on one or two trust funds. But she doesn't have the personality or drive she needs to be a journalist. It would have been great to have Lorelai who should know her daughter's personality and talk to her about that. Rory doesn't like to speak up, Rory couldn't call the alumni she had to make Lorelai do it, she doesn't even speak up when Mitchum suggests during her internship that they get some help from their Yale staff. She says nothing. She tells him she didn't know she was suppose to do. Now this wouldn't be so bad but by this point Rory has been told at least twice before that she needs to do more and she never does. She never gets it, She doesn't listen. She still thinks all she needs to do is be given assignment preferably something she likes, so some research and write. That's it. Rory has no drive and she never goes out for internships or tries to get hired by newspapers or magazines on her own. Even though that's the field she wants to work in and it would get her experience and her foot in the door. Nope Rory doesn't do that. Having Lorelai sit her down and talk to her about that, her strengths and weaknesses and how they don't fit with being journalist or what she would over come if she wanted to be one. Rory would be great a research, as an assistant or fundraising organizer.

Lorelai is a hard worker. She started as a maid and worked her way up to run the Independence Inn, she went back to school to get a degree in business, and opened up her own inn. She found out what she needed to do to get to her goal. Rory doesn't do that. But no one sits her down and talks to her. The only one we get is Mitchum who is correct in his critique and Rory is shocked enough that she quits Yale. Which is stupid but then nothing happens. That would have been a perfect time for her to rethink things and someone to sit her down and talk to her. Tell her what its really like being a journalist, that she'll have to be out there chasing stories, yelling over other journalists to try and ask a question, have to interview people asking them hard questions or spending weeks in a warzone. To put point out her personality doesn't fit the career she wants and that she really hasn't done anything to go after the career she wants. Rory really should have re-thought her career. She should have picked something else. That would have been the perfect time for it to happen. Most kids have dream of a career when they grow up but usually by the time they reach college kids or in college when their working towards their degree realize its not going to work out. Lorelai of course would never do that. She'd tell Logan she thinks 401Ks and stuff is important but won't tell Rory the same thing.  Lorelai who tells Rory when she's whining about a study tree and she can't study because of a tree to suck it up because she's not two and if a study plan doesn't work to come up with something else. That Lorelai should have sat her daughter down and had an honest conversation about journalism. 

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, readster said:

Like how Jess's did with him?

Jess went to public school where counselors only talk to you if you go to them..  Rory went to a private school where a counselor called her into her office because she was reading at lunch.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Jess went to public school where counselors only talk to you if you go to them..  Rory went to a private school where a counselor called her into her office because she was reading at lunch.  

These days, they call you in. Of course, Jess's school and even the Walmart he worked for were a bunch of morons not noticing that Jess not only wasn't doing anything at school. However, the fact that Luke didn't know about the school he had been skipping class. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, readster said:

These days, they call you in. Of course, Jess's school and even the Walmart he worked for were a bunch of morons not noticing that Jess not only wasn't doing anything at school. However, the fact that Luke didn't know about the school he had been skipping class. 

That part still annoys me because there's no way the school shouldn't have been calling Luke to tell him Jess was ditching school even if Jess was deleting the messages the school is so close that the VP or guidance counselor, teacher or someone just had to walk to the diner and talk to him. They go as far to show that you could see the high school from Luke's diner, but then no one tells them if you ditched. There's no way they wouldn't be telling Luke. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

That part still annoys me because there's no way the school shouldn't have been calling Luke to tell him Jess was ditching school even if Jess was deleting the messages the school is so close that the VP or guidance counselor, teacher or someone just had to walk to the diner and talk to him. They go as far to show that you could see the high school from Luke's diner, but then no one tells them if you ditched. There's no way they wouldn't be telling Luke. 

Even more, home visits were most common those days and AS-P hammered it into our heads this town was so small the church/cetigog were the same place. Really, no one walked over to Luke's Dinner and went: "Jess hasn't been in school... for months!" If he tried that now, oh Luke be getting calls the next day after he missed 2 days. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, readster said:

Even more, home visits were most common those days and AS-P hammered it into our heads this town was so small the church/cetigog were the same place. Really, no one walked over to Luke's Dinner and went: "Jess hasn't been in school... for months!" If he tried that now, oh Luke be getting calls the next day after he missed 2 days. 

Exactly, someone could have easily had done that. It makes no sense that no one did.

• Love 2