Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, shoregirl said:

https://people.com/food/b-smith-dies-age-70/

Model and restaurateur B. Smith dies at 70 from alzheimer. She announced her diagnosis of early onset Alzheimer disease in 2014.

I don't always click on the links, but I am glad that I clicked on that one. She was strikingly beautiful, and I love the red and gold outfit she is wearing in the picture with her husband.

Dementia is not pleasant for anyone involved. I hope her loved ones can treasure the good memories.

• Love 10

Great that Mrs. Johnson contributed SO much in her career and did so much to help others get recognized for their talents AND that she lived to see her legacy get widely acknowledged before her death (and still had the facilities to enjoy it) ! Oh, and it should be mentioned that she did  a good part of her work in trying conditions when she was widowed after her first husband's early death and having to provide for their  three children. Not many reach 101 much less achieve so much. RIP, Mrs. Johnson and enjoy the heavens you so diligently calculated about so many decades!

• Love 19
22 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Just for clarification. This violation was from 2015. There is still no official cause for the crash last month as the investigation is ongoing.

From the above article:

"In 2015, he requested to continue flying using special visual flight rules (VFR), which would allow him to fly in suboptimal visibility conditions but was denied, unlike last month when he was granted the request."

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, shoregirl said:
The New York Times opening. "They asked Katherine Johnson for the moon and she gave it to them..." Is beautiful and true.

I don't generally cry at obits/comments, but damn.  That's a beautiful tribute to an extraordinary lady.

• Love 15

Posted this in the TCM thread too - Diana Serra Cary, child star in the silent movie era known as Baby Peggy, died today at 101.  Her career ended at the age of 6.  There was a great documentary done about her several years ago that I'm hoping TCM will air as a tribute to her.  

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Posted this in the TCM thread too - Diana Serra Cary, child star in the silent movie era known as Baby Peggy, died today at 101.  Her career ended at the age of 6.  There was a great documentary done about her several years ago that I'm hoping TCM will air as a tribute to her.  

I'll post about this on TCM's website as well.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Article from The Hollywood Reporter:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/baby-peggy-dead-silent-film-star-was-101-831926

• Love 1

I will go to the TCM page as well,  but it's great to see  remembrances of the late Diana Cary/Baby Peggy, I only saw her death notice via the nitrateville.com website today, I have yet to see it mentioned in the New York Times, Washington Post or NPR...Variety had a good tribute at least.

She has to be the last living American silent star.  She had a tough childhood but lived to see her work re-appreciated and had a long and happy life with her own family.  Rest in peace Ms. Cary.

• Love 4

She had a tough childhood

Amazing how greedy parents and family can squander a million dollar fortune (her $1.5 million a year contract in 1923 would be the equivalent of $22.6 million today)...still, good on her for turning her life around and living a long and happy life.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, roseha said:

I will go to the TCM page as well,  but it's great to see  remembrances of the late Diana Cary/Baby Peggy, I only saw her death notice via the nitrateville.com website today, I have yet to see it mentioned in the New York Times, Washington Post or NPR...Variety had a good tribute at least.

She has to be the last living American silent star.  She had a tough childhood but lived to see her work re-appreciated and had a long and happy life with her own family.  Rest in peace Ms. Cary.

I actually meant to say TCM forums, sorry.

• Love 1

Sad to hear of Katherine Johnson's death but agree with previous posts and happy she was alive to see her contributions to the space program recognized world wide.  So many hidden figures weren't able to, and some still remain hidden today.  R.I.P. and thank you Katherine Johnson.  Rest easy.

PS- I believe Katherine Johnson's (second) husband is still alive or is that incorrect? 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 9
25 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Sad to hear of Katherine Johnson's death but agree with previous posts that I'm happy she was alive to see her contributions to the space program recognized world wide.  So many hidden figures weren't able to, and some still remain hidden today.  R.I.P. and thank you Katherine Johnson.  Rest easy.

PS- I believe Katherine Johnson's (second) husband is still alive or is that incorrect? 

Her second husband died in 2019.

• Useful 2
12 hours ago, Calvada said:

R.I.P. to Ms. Cary a/k/a Baby Peggy.  I saw that documentary years ago and also hope TCM repeats it.  Ms. Cary earned all the money, supported the household, but her parents spend it all leaving Peggy nothing.  Her sister, IIRC, was resentful for years.  I'm glad Diana Serra Cary made her peace with "Baby Peggy" and enjoyed a life realized.  

10 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Thank you!

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

R.I.P. to Ms. Cary a/k/a Baby Peggy.  I saw that documentary years ago and also hope TCM repeats it.  Ms. Cary earned all the money, supported the household, but her parents spend it all leaving Peggy nothing.  Her sister, IIRC, was resentful for years.  I'm glad Diana Serra Cary made her peace with "Baby Peggy" and enjoyed a life realized.  

Thank you!

You’re welcome!

2 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

They had been married for 60 years and this was, by all accounts, a happy supportive union. Hence, being widowed for the 2nd time  the age of 100 may very well have been a contributing factor to Mrs. Johnson's own demise. 

Regardless, it seems she would have been a wonderful person to have known not just for her inspirational drive and determination!

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Regardless, it seems she would have been a wonderful person to have known not just for her inspirational drive and determination!

My dad - also a mathematician - knew her.  He always wanted me to meet her but we just couldn't get ourselves together to make it happen.  I feel badly about that now.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Blergh said:

They had been married for 60 years and this was, by all accounts, a happy supportive union. Hence, being widowed for the 2nd time  the age of 100 may very well have been a contributing factor to Mrs. Johnson's own demise. 

And this was her in 2012.

435px-Baby-Peggy_2012-07-01.jpg\

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

And this was her in 2012.

435px-Baby-Peggy_2012-07-01.jpg\

Mikaelaarzenalt,

This is a picture of the former  silent movie child star 'Baby' Peggy Montgomery who was legally named Diana Serra Cary from 1954 after her 2nd marriage onward NOT Mrs. Katherine Johnson. 

Yes, both these ladies lived to 101  before dying yesterday and lived to see their legacies honored despite decades of obscurity (and it should be noted that Mrs. Cary was a very diligent historian in her last decades re early Hollywood). 

I wonder if they ever met. Even though they had very different claims to fame, I can't help but think they might have hit it off trading stories! 

Edited by Blergh
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
Just now, Blergh said:

Mikaelaarzenalt,

This is a picture of the former  silent movie child star 'Baby' Peggy Montgomery who was legally named Diana Serra Cary from 1954 after her 2nd marriage onward NOT Mrs. Katherine Johnson. 

Yes, both these ladies lived to 101  before dying yesterday and lived to see their legacies honored despite decades of obscurity (and it should be noted the Mrs. Cary was a very diligent historian in her last decades re early Hollywood). 

I wonder if they ever met. Even though they had very different claims to fame, I can't help but think they might have hit it off trading stories! 

Oops. I was getting it mixed up!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Oops. I was getting it mixed up!

Two 101-year-old women who achieved fame in their twilight years for their long-unheralded youthful accomplishments dying on the very same day is a rather unusual coincidence.

Look at it this way, at least you didn't mix them up as badly as Barry Manilow mixed things up at an Indiana concert in 1993 when he told his audience that he was sure they were proud of their local singer Lyle Lovett's recent marriage to 'Julia Child!' they quickly corrected him that it was to Julia Roberts!  Yes, these were two tall women named Julia but I have to wonder if Mrs. Child was flattered to have been  mistaken for Miss Roberts since they were 5 decades apart in age. 

And I'd like to think Mrs. Cary might have gotten a good laugh at being mistaken for Mrs. Johnson (which likely rarely happened in their lifetimes). 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Two 101-year-old women who achieved fame in their twilight years for their long-unheralded youthful accomplishments dying on the very same day is a rather unusual coincidence.

Look at it this way, at least you didn't mix them up as badly as Barry Manilow mixed things up at an Indiana concert in 1993 when he told his audience that he was sure they were proud of their local singer Lyle Lovett's recent marriage to 'Julia Child!' they quickly corrected him that it was to Julia Roberts!  Yes, these were two tall women named Julia but I have to wonder if Mrs. Child was flattered to have been  mistaken for Miss Roberts since they were 5 decades apart in age. 

And I'd like to think Mrs. Cary might have gotten a good laugh at being mistaken for Mrs. Johnson (which likely rarely happened in their lifetimes). 

I can go back and change my post.

4 hours ago, Blergh said:

Regarding the bolded: Thanks for the trip down memory lane! I had forgotten that happened & I was actually probably there when it did!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2