Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 6/13/2024 at 12:09 PM, Notabug said:

I know people do it, but many other people would choose not to do it if they had a choice and the premise of the show is that they had other options that were affordable and didn't involve traversing multiple flights of stairs with young children and their gear multiple times a day.

And obviously there are people who chose to do that because, in their minds, the plusses outweigh the minuses.  We've seen other house hunters make similar choices.

Can’t believe Aussie Dad wouldn’t get his kids a pool! Yes, they’re work, but you suck it up & do the work when you have (4!) kids in the heat all Summer, driving Mom crazy cuz ‘it’s so hot!’ And ‘we’re bored!’x 2,000!    Sorry, a hose to jump through is not the same. Maybe they couldnt afford it which is understandable, especially with the cost of utilities these days. However, he kept saying ‘do you know how much work a pool is!?!’  Well, teach Mom how to do some of it. I’m sure she’d be glad to learn, as a pool keeps kids busy and running out their energy all Summer. That guy just annoyed me. Got the vibe of- I watched the kids for years and now I’m done! Just want to work and do Nothing else when I get home!  

Mom needs to go get an easy set, at least, And set it up while Dad is at work lol 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
On 6/12/2024 at 6:10 AM, Notabug said:

The husband was ridiculous.  If that was a realistic take on his everyday behavior, I'd nope on out of there in a hurry.

I also think that, no matter how much you want to live in the center city, no matter how much you want that 'Dutch charm'; moving into a third floor walkup with an infant who needs to be carried up and down for the foreseeable future is not a good idea.  I got the impression that hubby expected the wife to handle all the logistics with the children in those tight quarters while he was appreciating the 'Dutch charm'.  I hope that was not the case.

I agree.  The husband gave me a creepy vibe. Those stairs!  Forget it. I would rather live in a house the fits my family's lifestyle and needs.  The "charm" would wear off really quick. Combining a child's bedroom with an office was laughable. Kids are in and out of their rooms all day long.  Why not put the office space in the primary bedroom, away from the kids?

• Like 7
Just now, debbie311 said:

I agree.  The husband gave me a creepy vibe. Those stairs!  Forget it. I would rather live in a house the fits my family's lifestyle and needs.  The "charm" would wear off really quick. Combining a child's bedroom with an office was laughable. Kids are in and out of their rooms all day long.  Why not put the office space in the primary bedroom, away from the kids?

I guess part of my reason for thinking the third floor walkup was such a bad idea is because I certainly got the impression from the hubby that he was not planning on being the one to schlep those kids and their equipment up and down the stairs twice a day or more.  Maybe he is, but that didn't seem to be his vibe.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, debbie311 said:

Yeah, that dude was an asshole. Plain and simple. That woman would do well to get a replacement hubby.

• Like 3

+1

Why not put the office in the primary bedroom away from the kids

As with everything else, he didn’t want that, so, he got what he imagined he wanted and kid can hang out in his other shared bedroom. He was big on imagination, iirc.

On 6/16/2024 at 9:34 AM, debbie311 said:

I would rather live in a house the fits my family's lifestyle and needs.  

Me too! I liked the first house because it had a nice backyard space for the entire family, and they wouldn't always have to take the kids over to the playground.  I think the wife would've been happy with that one too, but she gave in so that her husband could have "the experience" of being in Amsterdam, although they are in Amsterdam, but apparently you can't have the experience of being in Amsterdam unless your home/apartment is in the city center.  ;)  

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
On 6/13/2024 at 12:28 PM, aghst said:

The homes in the Netherlands are often narrow and have these steep, narrow stairs.

My understanding of houses in Amsterdam is that they were/are taxed based on house width and therefore we see skinny tall houses.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
(edited)

Older guy reinventing himself in Thailand as a gym rat, er, sparring partner/instructor. Glad his sons visited, as I’m guessing he’s not dating. A previous relationship went sideways when she refused to kill a bug for him. Good luck in Thailand with your bug phobia, fighter.

His place was fine and I liked the realtor. Wonder if he killed any of those bugs/ants they found?

Edited by buttersister
  • Like 4
9 hours ago, buttersister said:

Older guy reinventing himself in Thailand as a gym rat, er, sparring partner/instructor. Glad his sons visited, as I’m guessing he’s not dating. A previous relationship went sideways when she refused to kill a bug for him. Good luck in Thailand with your bug phobia, fighter.

His place was fine and I liked the realtor. Wonder if he killed any of those bugs/ants they found?

He was pretty peculiar. It was weird seeing him wrestling with that woman. She probably kicked his ass. He did love his sons and they loved him back so I guess he's not too bad of a guy.

What is up with the glass walls between bedroom and bathroom? Is this a Thai thing?

• Like 3

If he's so scared of bugs, then why the hell did he move to Thailand?  Surely, he could have found some other place to practice his sport.  It's nice that his sons seemed happy, but he kind of annoyed me.  

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
17 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

If he's so scared of bugs, then why the hell did he move to Thailand?  Surely, he could have found some other place to practice his sport.  It's nice that his sons seemed happy, but he kind of annoyed me.  

He seemed so childish.  What adult is so afraid of bugs that they cannot possibly encounter one ever?  And who expects a realtor to find them a place where they will never have to see an insect ever?  Being in the tropics, I am sure Thailand has an impressive assortment of native insects.  There are probably cockroaches the size of kittens.  Not the place for a guy like him.

3 hours ago, Grizzly said:

He was pretty peculiar. It was weird seeing him wrestling with that woman. She probably kicked his ass. He did love his sons and they loved him back so I guess he's not too bad of a guy.

What is up with the glass walls between bedroom and bathroom? Is this a Thai thing?

I think they do that sometimes in apartments when there is a room not on an outside wall.  Since they can't place a window, they use a glass wall between it and the next room that does have windows in order to catch some of the light.

• Useful 2
33 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Seems to be the fighting scene or culture that appealed to him the most.  Supposedly visited and never left?

He realized having sea views and being near the water isn't a bad thing, something he never considered.

But it came back to wanting to buy fresh produce and going to his gym every day.

Maybe he'll find other interests, like he didn't anticipate getting so into MMA when he tagged along with his sons for the jiujitsu.

• Like 1

Vancouver to Wellington, a family of 4, with two young sons.  They want to move from a 1000 square foot apt to some more expansive place for their children.

They want modern, 4 bedrooms -- so that husband can work from home -- and a backyard for the kids for their budget of $5000 a month.

House 1 has stunning water views with the Wellington airport in the distance, where they can see jetliners take off and land.  They're worried about the low railing on the deck, which has these great views.  It does have a little path of green for the kids but it's over budget at $5600.

House 2 is a multi level home.  Most of Wellington is built like that because it's hilly.  4 bedrooms, 3.5 baths but it doesn't have much of a yard space for the kids.  Under budget at $4800.

House 3 is closer to town, in a crowded neighborhood, with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths for $6000.  But it has the biggest, flat, green space for the kids.  However, not only is there one fewer bedrooms, the rooms are all smaller.  They're paying for proximity to amenities.

They eliminate House 3 and they pick House 1, want to splurge and spread out after squeezing into a small Vancouver apt.

They're hopeful of her finding a job in interior design and 3 months later, she's designing amusement parks, even though there is only one amusement park in all of New Zealand.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

The guy in Thailand was so concerned about his sons having a place to stay, yet he picks out the smallest place with no second bedroom.  I get the appeal of hotel living but how does that work long term?  If the boys make multiple visits, where are they storing their stuff in the meantime?

Also, could they not call an exterminator for the bugs?  

• Like 2
(edited)

New Zealand buyers-I was surprised they picked the low glass railings house. Although, the house and views were gorgeous (except that weird ship door which was ugly,) but that tiny patch of grass isn’t worth how she’s going to have to be watching those kids constantly to make sure they don’t ally-oop over the railings. Kids are dumb and they love to climb. I’d be a nervous wreck every time they went out there.  

Edited by Pi237
  • Like 2

Thailand wrestler’s kids were mean mugging the camera every time like a pair of serial killers 🤣 

I liked this realtor, very matter of fact and I liked his dry sense of humor. Wanted to mush up his hair tho. Cuz it was too perfectly combed stuck to his head. Nothing wrong with that at all, of course, but just wanted to mess it up a minute. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
4 hours ago, aghst said:

They're hopeful of her finding a job in interior design and 3 months later, she's designing amusement parks, even though there is only one amusement park in all of New Zealand.

I thought she said she was designing playgrounds?

I loved house #1 the best as the views were stunning. The windiness was crazy! I'd have to keep my long hair tied up.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I thought she said she was designing playgrounds?

I loved house #1 the best as the views were stunning. The windiness was crazy! I'd have to keep my long hair tied up.

Been to Wellington a couple of times.

There's an airport there but you can also take the ferry across the narrow strait between the North and South Islands in a couple of hours.

It's because of that relatively narrow strait that it's so windy.  But obviously there's an airport there.

But you're warned that if it gets really windy, then a lot of people would get seasick on the ferry.

The couple of times I took that ferry, it didn't get bad at all and by the time you reach Marlborough Sound, if it's sunny, the views are gorgeous.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 6/12/2024 at 10:37 PM, aghst said:

They sold their home back in IL so this move is for good, though what will they do for health care?

I'm behind on HHI, so I just saw this episode.  I really liked this couple.  They wanted each other to be happy and not end up having one person feel like they "won."  That was refreshing to hear!  I especially liked that they didn't want to be in the city center!!  I enjoyed seeing properties that were more rural.  

I liked all 3 houses.  I would've been okay with the blue bathroom, but the peach/pink one was a bit much!  It wouldn't have been a dealbreaker though.  I liked the bathroom with the white tiles that had flowers on them.  That would've been okay too.   The 3rd house ($275,000) with the dilapidated pool would probably have cost them a small fortune to renovate.  It'll either be something fairly simple to fix, or it will be a complete nightmare!!

I loved the patio area of the house they chose, and the sunken area in the living room around the fireplace.  The mountain views were beautiful.  The 3rd house looked like it needed more repairs.  I wasn't too sure if the roof was okay or not. It was hard to tell from the overhead view of it whether it would need a new one or not.  And that house was a lot closer to other homes too.  The tower was neat though.  It would've been cool to have a little office or reading nook up there. 

As others have said, the constant complaints of the guest bedrooms being too small gets on my nerves too.  If I'm a guest in someone's home, I don't expect a huge room.  I can make do in a small bedroom.  I'm just happy to have a bed to sleep on!  We had a small guest room in a previous home, and I had a trundle bed in one of them so as to keep the space open when guests weren't there, but there were 2 beds when needed.  The mattresses were of good quality, and my guests didn't mind that setup (or so they said!).   

Edited by Chit Chat
typo
  • Like 3
On 6/15/2024 at 7:21 AM, Pi237 said:

Got the vibe of- I watched the kids for years and now I’m done! Just want to work and do Nothing else when I get home!  

I wish she could've gotten her pool.  It was a trade-off though in order to be closer to shops and such.  With the house with the pool, she would've had to have a car to go to town.  Hopefully she's happy with what they chose.  He didn't seem very nice at times, so I kind of felt sorry for her.  I liked the style of the last house (the traditional one), and I think she was freaking out a little too much about it getting dusty, but the yard wasn't good for the kids, so at least he didn't insist on renting that one.  The kitchen wasn't so great but was workable. 

If she really wanted the house with the pool, she should've fought for it and insist that she'd clean the damn thing.  With it being over budget though, if they have to pay for the chemicals, etc. to clean the pool, then that might really put them in a bind.  Maybe that's what the husband was thinking but didn't want to say on camera that they couldn't afford it.  IIRC, he said he's in an apprenticeship with his job, so that probably makes things a little more uncertain.  

• Like 1

Brisbane. I love Maxine so much. Classic eye roll. The wife (doctor, was she?) seems like a nice, reasonable person in their talking heads. Then on the tours, she wants it all. Kids aren't normally my thing but these two are keepers. Looked like they had good taste in cakes. And they had great expressions.

• Like 4
(edited)

Loughborough, England drove me nuts. This woman married her husband in Vegas two months (!!) after their first date, gave up her home and her job to move to another country to be with him, and she spent the majority of the episode talking about future babies. So did he, once or twice.

Between the husband, the realtor and the wife I lost count of how many times they said that he only wanted to make her happy. Me think they doth protest too much. The woman said over and over that she wanted a modern house close to the train station for the job that she would eventually get and his response in his individual interviews was that she was too emotional and he needed to wait until she was sensible again to make the correct choice. Surprise, surprise, the house he wanted was completely different from hers, close to HIS work, and that's the house they ended up getting, because it had an extra room to be able to start a family and it was close to his colleagues.

It just gave me ick vibes. In an alternate universe this would be the opening plot to a Lifetime movie.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Like 7
(edited)
8 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Loughborough, England drove me nuts. This woman married her husband in Vegas two months (!!) after their first date, gave up her home and her job to move to another country to be with him, and she spent the majority of the episode talking about future babies. So did he, once or twice.

Between the husband, the realtor and the wife I lost count of how many times they said that he only wanted to make her happy. Me think they doth protest too much. The woman said over and over that she wanted a modern house close to the train station for the job that she would eventually get and his response in his individual interviews was that she was too emotional and he needed to wait until she was sensible again to make the correct choice. Surprise, surprise, the house he wanted was completely different from hers, close to HIS work, and that's the house they ended up getting, because it had an extra room to be able to start a family and it was close to his colleagues.

It just gave me ick vibes. In an alternate universe this would be the opening plot to a Lifetime movie.

I have to give her credit, she did not look 39. I'm sure her father is thrilled someone wanted to marry her. If she made so much money at her old job, you'd think her eyes would look better. They kept saying they'd never lived together before and all I could think was did you get separate hotel rooms?

Edited by Grizzly
One more thing
  • Like 1

The Loughborough woman had a lot of enthusiasm, give her that.

And she seemed open minded about the house, liking the renovated parts.

The Brisbane family, I got the sense that it may not be a long-term move but obviously a doctor doesn't move her family unless her job is long-term.

Or maybe they think in the back of their mind they could always return to England.

Not clear why they decided to move as they said they loved their life back in Kent, with the extended family.

When the wife was saying or pretending how much she love that expensive house, she even referenced that it might be worth dipping into their savings to pay something which was $3000 over budget.

That made me think they could change their minds and go back.

• Like 3
(edited)

Brisbane rental prices were insane!  I know:  Location, Location, Location!  (& Im sure the wages are higher there) But where I'm from, you won't net $6,000 a Month let alone afford that rent and still be able to buy food and utilities lol  

Edited by Pi237
I know someone will correct me that the wages are higher
  • Like 1

Just watched the Longbourne, England episode and didn't realize until the end that the wife did not have a job, yet wanted to be close to the train station so she could commute to her nonexistent job.  No wonder the husband prioritized living near the university where he actually, you know, had a job!

The house they chose seemed like the best fit, and other than the furniture in the lounge, it seemed fairly modern which was her criteria.

I also didn't understand her wanting to start a family so quickly until she stated she was 39 and then I totally understood her reasoning.

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, Seelouis said:

I can’t get over that she’s 39 and her fiance had to ask her father for her hand in marriage. 

It was probably a courtesy. My 2 SILs asked my husband for his daughters' hand in marriage, even though they were over 21. They did it out of respect.

• Like 1

At the end of very Longbourne, I wondered where the woman I’d seen throughout the episode went. She looked the same but her 180 made me wonder.

Husband had to wait til she changed her mind or the drugs kicked in?

• LOL 2
On 6/13/2024 at 10:41 PM, aghst said:

He also wonders if a large parking lot which they can see from their bedroom will be noisy but the perky British agent says windows are double-glazed.

That was funny! All 3 places seemed close to a busy road, so I imagine they're all going to have some noise.

They were a nice couple.  The firehouse home was interesting.  The first house was nice, but without the dedicated parking spot, that would be a no-go for me too.  That's too much stress worrying about whether you're going to be able to park or not when you get home.

All of those stairs in the home they chose would get old to me.  I have a 2-story house and I'd really prefer a one-story at this stage of my life!  It would take some getting used to having the kitchen & dining room on one floor, and the living room on another, but I think it might be kind of cool to have it split like that. 

The town didn't look all that big, but it sounded like it had plenty of shops, etc. for them to explore. 

On 6/19/2024 at 10:34 AM, Notabug said:

Since they can't place a window, they use a glass wall between it and the next room that does have windows in order to catch some of the light.

It looked odd though seeing the bathroom through the glass wall in the bedroom!  I like mine behind walls and a door!  Made the space look bigger though.  I liked the second apartment.  That view of the pool & water was beautiful.  All three properties had some nice features though.  

On 6/19/2024 at 12:15 PM, Crashcourse said:

Yet he ate alligator meat. 

I've had alligator meat. It tasted like overcooked chicken. 😜

On 6/19/2024 at 10:34 AM, Notabug said:

There are probably cockroaches the size of kittens.  Not the place for a guy like him.

The freakout over the ants was a little much. If he had seen a roach the size of a kitten, then I'd understand!!  😁  I'm in the south, and it doesn't matter how clean you try to keep things, those darn roaches start appearing around May.  It gets so hot here.  I've been told they're looking for moisture.  I do think they're mutating and getting bigger every year.  If I see one on the patio, I start yelling 'die, you SOB' as I kill it, then I remember to tone it down so that the neighbors don't think I'm yelling at Mr. Chat!  😅

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
12 hours ago, Chit Chat said:

I'm in the south, and it doesn't matter how clean you try to keep things, those darn roaches start appearing around May. 

Same here, and I live in south Louisiana.  You name it, we have it in the category of insects!  My pest control guy is on my speed dial.  Between the insects and the heat and humidity, our climate is similar to tropics.  

• Like 3
On 6/20/2024 at 12:11 AM, LexieLily said:

The woman said over and over that she wanted a modern house close to the train station for the job that she would eventually get and his response in his individual interviews was that she was too emotional and he needed to wait until she was sensible again to make the correct choice.

He said that although she's a caring person, sometimes when they disagree, there is an "explosion," so then he has to wait for "her emotions to go down, so she'll change her mind.  She's very flexible."  I rewatched that so I could try to figure them out!  He also said that sometimes she takes the lead, and sometimes he does.  Could be that she gets a little hotheaded and it's her way or the highway, or he could be that way too.  They're both used to being on their own, so hopefully they can make compromises along the way.  He really acted like he wanted her at home though.  They've got a lot to learn about each other. 

I think he was right in the choice of homes though.  It makes sense to be near the university where they can mingle with his colleagues, which will be good for her too.  It wouldn't take much for her to add her own touches to the outdated home to make it more of her style (I didn't think it was that bad!)  Once they start a family, that extra space will be good to have.    I didn't think the modern house was all that attractive on the outside.  I was just meh on it.  From the inside, it looks like a lot of homes in the U.S.  I didn't get why she was jumping flips over it.  No yard space either.  

• Like 3
On 6/19/2024 at 10:02 PM, Grizzly said:

Brisbane. I love Maxine so much. Classic eye roll.

She was funny!  The husband was more chill than his wife.  The first house wasn't that small.  Mr. Chat & I started our married life out in a 1000 sq ft home because back in the day interest rates were 18%. We were proud to have that little place (which is now considered a tiny home!)  The first house this couple looked at was a mansion compared to that!!  So, yeah, it irks me a little when these people complain about lack of space, when it looked like it was a fairly big place. 

It also irritates me when these buyers are so snooty about how everything is so beneath their expectations.  If it's a rental home, maybe just roll with it if you like most things about the property.  If they plan to stay long-term, then they can find something else later on.  My main concern would be the commute to work and to school.  I would make compromises to make those things easier.

I felt bad for the kids being moved that far away from their grandparents.  Hopefully they can come for a visit.  It's always interesting to hear people say that their family will travel that far to visit, but I wonder what the reality of that is. I know I wouldn't!  

• Like 8
(edited)

I've been a casual watcher forever, but have been having fun binging HHI for the past 2-3 weeks in the background while I was working on household stuff.

It's been so much fun to commiserate with so many of y'all here over the worst couples/house hunters (the "I want a castle!" guy! The "Bostonians Paris" guy! The "Adulting in Amsterdam!" guy! "Rebounding in Oslo!" etc.).

I love the regular realtors we meet, who become so much fun as repeat presences on the show -- Richard, Adrienne, Sarah, etc., and how they put up with all the incredibly impossible demands for cheap places right in the center of the city, 

One thing I wanted to bring up that I haven't seen addressed is that I kind of feel bad for the couples on the show for a few different reasons, from time to time, and wanted to see if this was just me overthinking things.

Here's why:

1. The show's insistence on creating drama/pitting the househunter against their partners or friends sometimes gets uncomfortably real for me -- especially when we know it's totally staged/instigated. We see it in countless couples where it's often "guy vs. girl."

Like, the blonde woman who wanted sea-view property and had brought her BFF to keep her balanced, and the BFF near the end was arguing against her choice, and says something like, "You brought me here to give you the alternate point of view," and then her friend just glares at her and coldly says, "Maybe I'm regretting that right now." I mean, Yikes. THIS IS ALL STAGED. There was no need for her to go that hard.

2. The other thing I kind of wonder about is that -- since most of us know the reality of the show, that the main property has been chosen and lived in already, the others are just decoys -- I am sure that many, many times, the shoppers/couples truly DID love decoy properties they would have loved to have chosen, but they couldn't, because it wasn't a real option.

So I really do wonder sometimes if it isn't a little bittersweet or even painful for these house hunters to walk into some of these places that are so much more beautiful or affordable or special than where they actually live -- and they have to actually act like there's something wrong with them and then choose the place they know isn't anywhere nearly as good.

Also -- with this in mind, has there ever been a situation where the HH saw the new options and went, "I am leaving my current home and taking one of these" for instance?

I know I'm overthinking it. Just curious if it's occurred to anyone else!

Edited by paramitch
italics
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

I also feel bad for the people who live in the homes they’re criticizing. When they walk in and go Ewwww! I cringe a bit, someone still lives there!🤣

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Pi237 said:

I also feel bad for the people who live in the homes they’re criticizing. When they walk in and go Ewwww! I cringe a bit, someone still lives there!🤣

Hopefully, the money they got paid for using their home makes up for it.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
13 hours ago, paramitch said:

The show's insistence on creating drama/pitting the househunter against their partners or friends sometimes gets uncomfortably real for me -- especially when we know it's totally staged/instigated. We see it in countless couples where it's often "guy vs. girl."

Just recently there was the couple who wanted each other to be happy.  The husband said it wasn't about either of them 'winning.' They were the exception to the rule!

Maybe some couples take the instructions by the producers to heart, or don't know how to stand up for themselves.  I guess some of them don't care how they come across on TV!  

13 hours ago, paramitch said:

I am sure that many, many times, the shoppers/couples truly DID love decoy properties they would have loved to have chosen, but they couldn't, because it wasn't a real option.

I assumed they were getting paid to be on TV, so they didn't mind showcasing the other properties, but I really don't know what goes on behind the scenes, so I could be totally wrong!  

• Useful 1

Seattle,WA:  Nice couple moving back after 3 years in the heat of the Phoenix desert. Want to be near friends waterfront on the Puget Sound. He's a trial attorney, she's a SAHM to a young daughter. $2M budget

#1 skinny new build on the water $1.8M only 2 beds, Small living space, nice sized bedrooms but they'd prefer 3.

#2 condo, across the street from water. Big. Forgot the price.

#3 single story on the water $2.2M. 3 tiny bedrooms, no closets. Huge living space and deck. (it was an old fishing shack)

They chose #3. Talk of a daily sea lion visit and possible orca sightings. Were it not for recently reading of the eminent threat of a tsunami in that area, I would be incredibly envious. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, snarts said:

Seattle,WA:  Nice couple moving back after 3 years in the heat of the Phoenix desert. Want to be near friends waterfront on the Puget Sound. He's a trial attorney, she's a SAHM to a young daughter. $2M budget

#1 skinny new build on the water $1.8M only 2 beds, Small living space, nice sized bedrooms but they'd prefer 3.

#2 condo, across the street from water. Big. Forgot the price.

#3 single story on the water $2.2M. 3 tiny bedrooms, no closets. Huge living space and deck. (it was an old fishing shack)

They chose #3. Talk of a daily sea lion visit and possible orca sightings. Were it not for recently reading of the eminent threat of a tsunami in that area, I would be incredibly envious. 

Wrong thread - this is HHInternational.

• Like 2

Siem Reap, Cambodia. Guess we've met who would name their kid Free Spirit. There are plenty places in the US that would be more affordable than LA. The "outdated" place looked fine to me. Glad the mom got the location she wanted. Even if it was Free's idea to come there. 🙄

• Like 3

The mom and daughter moving to Cambodia.  The mother bugged the snot out of me.  She was intent on convincing us ( herself?) that her daughter was wise beyond her years and the most forward-thinking human ever to walk among the rest of us.  The child was adorable, bright and utterly acted her age.  Mom continued to tell us how the child wanted to live and immerse herself among the locals.  The child just kept saying that she hoped to live around other transplants so she could more easily make friends.

• Like 6
(edited)
22 hours ago, snarts said:

How do I delete the above header. It was connected to a comment I made yesterday on another post, but I cannot delete the attribution.  

I came here to discuss the Sunshine Coast episode where a woman from England moved to Australia after her divorce, and she was finding employment as a private detective.  Her budget was $700,000 which is a pretty nice divorce settlement, but she said she would be making less than she did in England.   She wanted 4 bedrooms, 2+ baths, a pool, big kitchen, and close to beach.  

She ended up not close to the beach, and when the realtor said there were probably snakes in the attic storage area of the house she chose, that would have been the red flag for me.  I've never seen that realtor before, and he got in some pretty sharp quips.   

Edited by laredhead
  • Like 5

I cracked up when the woman moving to Australia said her husband "cheated" on her. That's not funny, but her declaring it to the world on tv was such a big middle finger to the ex. 😄

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
47 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I cracked up when the woman moving to Australia said her husband "cheated" on her. That's not funny, but her declaring it to the world on tv was such a big middle finger to the ex. 😄

Gold Coast, Australia: also loved that she hired a PI to confirm said cheating and was inspired to become a PI herself. 

She mentioned multiple times that it meant a pay cut so I'm hoping the $700k house was purchased in cash from her divorce settlement. 

• Like 5
59 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Yeah the PI must have gotten a lot of irrefutable evidence since hubby was OK with his children moving half a world away. I'm wondering who's taking care of the kids while she's doing her stakeouts. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, laredhead said:

when the realtor said there were probably snakes in the attic storage area of the house she chose, that would have been the red flag for me. 

That would be an immediate "hell, no!" for me too.

• Like 3