Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: Any Wounded Thief

Trini
  • Start Topic

After an armored truck is robbed, the team discovers that the stolen goods are chemical weapons and they must race to thwart a terrorist plot. Meanwhile, Jane grapples with a confusing memory of Weller - while growing even closer to Oscar (guest star Francois Arnaud). Meanwhile Patterson receives a phone call from someone from her past.

This show gives me a headache. The "music" was so loud I had to turn on subtitles at times to understand what they were saying. And please, please, please use a tripod.

Nice to see David again.

• Love 2

Title anagram = FIND WHAT YOU NEED

I actually liked the direction of this episode; there was less shaky-cam, and it wasn't so annoying.

I get that they probably couldn't shoot inside the actual Stock Exchange, but they couldn't shoot outside it either?? Even so, WHY would you use Times Square -- a highly recognizable location to that you already used for a key scene in your pilot -- to represent "the stock Exchange"??

I guess Allie is here to show us that Weller can be warm and sexy? Speaking of Weller, it's totally not weird that you bought the jewelry of the mother of your dead childhood friend. Also, you really could have bought Jane/Taylor a birthday drink!

But it's cool; because Jane + Tree Tat, yay!

Zapata's gambling sub-plot wasn't interesting the last time, so... I don't know what they're doing with that.

Just tell somebody Reede!

Patterson starts asking the right questions (about time, Show), so of course

she gets kidnapped next week.

David figured out another clue? Maybe the writers realized they killed him off too soon.

Most unintentionally hilarious scene: Jane/Taylor shooting the perp to get her antidote pen.

• Love 3

I guess I'll give them credit for airing a simple and formulaic episode when they're are going against the NCAA.  The tattoo of the week was simple enough to follow and all the big hits.  Chemical weapons.  Corrupt military generals.  Corrupt business women.  North Korea getting involved since they're the new favorites (you can only do the Russians so many times.)  Wall Street.  Good times!

I usually like Zapata, but some of the stuff she was saying made no sense to me.  First, her complaining about Kurt and Reade killing their "bromance."  Unless I missed it, I don't remember those two every being that close.  They seemed like solid enough of work colleagues, but I never really got an impression they were friends outside of work or anything (mainly because Kurt doesn't strike me as the most social person on the planet.)  Then, she complained about how they were all awkward with each other, when only real moment I saw was Reade telling Kurt to let Patterson finish explaining how she discovered the tattoos, instead of going straight to the armored car heist.  A bit curt, but Zapata was acting like Reade told Kurt that he and his stupid beard could fuck off or something.  It just all felt like she was grasping at straws or finding drama were there wasn't any.

Surprisingly, Patterson and Ghost Daniel was better then it had any right to be.  Although, it had to lead to another tattoo, of course.

So, Jane's next assignment is to get close to Kurt again, which includes breaking him up with Allie.  She really shouldn't worry.  He will probably screw it up on his on in a few days.  Meanwhile, Jane and Tree Guy finally get it on.  I'm sure once Jaimie Alexander got the script, she was like "Yep, looks like it's going to be one of those hours in the make-up to chair to all my chest tattoos kind of scenes!"

Similar to the episode where there was some kind of organization called the M.W.A. that kept sounding like N.W.A., this episode was unintentionally hilarious whenever they would talk about C.M.A., because I keep automatically thinking of that as the Country Music Awards, which I thought was a weird thing for the tattoos to focus on. Then again, maybe seasons from now, they'll get along to the crossover with The Voice, where we find out this is all Blake Shelton's fault (and the tattoo that leads to it will obviously be one in the shape of one of Pharrell's hat....) 

• Love 3

I was watching the pursuit through the storage facility, thinking, I've seen this somewhere before....that's right!  The gNATS did this very same maneuver, even down to the mad bomber.  Thankfully, Jane didn't go through the same training.  But I do have a question.  How does someone leap of a balcony 12' or so off the main floor without the least bit of injury and subdue the bad guy, after alerting him with a gunshot?  Did the businesswoman go and get her henchpeople from the day labor area of Home Depot, or what?

I liked the way the interaction scene with Daniel at the cafe' was handled.  But, please, don't go the Grey's Anatomy route.

• Love 1

Ah, good old low-hanging fruit of television, you continue to amuse me.

This show is kissing cousins with The Blacklist and made a reference this time around. Weller's girlfriend mentions starting a fire by trying to cook a pizza in the box, a trick she obviously learned from Lizzie, who almost burnt her house down trying to make waffles on the stove. It scares me that people really are so incompetent as to justify the "remove packaging before cooking" labels on food.

I also find it dubious that a South Korean would sell chemical weapons to the North simply because they offered more money. They did lampshade it by saying it was a dissident faction but still...

I loved Patterson's date with dead Daniel and I especially loved how at the end, when she ran out of lines to fill in for him he was just smiling and nodding.

When Patterson is chatting with the office shrink she asks him if she owes him money. These people have to pay for counseling? No wonder they're so messed up.

This episode did raise one of the existential questions of this show, namely how and why all of this is happening. They specifically mention intricate timing and knowledge and how it might all link together and Mayfair comes back with "that's a great question but we don't have the money to look into it right now." That should be the biggest red flag ever!

• Love 4

This episode made no sense. If Chang was behind both the shipments to South Korea and the theft and shipments to North Korea, why did she rob her own truck, kill her own guys, and then have the thieves (did they even get caught?) take the canisters TO THE SAME DOCK AS THEY WERE BEING TAKEN TO ANYWAY and put them on a different ship? Why did she need to rob herself? Why didn't she just let the truck arrive according to plan, and then just have the dock workers put them on a different ship? Then no one would be killed, and the FBI wouldn't be alerted. This is a serious question, I did not understand the case of the week at all. It mystifies.

I get that they probably couldn't shoot inside the actual Stock Exchange, but they couldn't shoot outside it either?? Even so, WHY would you use Times Square -- a highly recognizable location to that you already used for a key scene in your pilot -- to represent "the stock Exchange"??

This bugged me, I was expecting a line of dialogue like, "is it weird for you to be back here?" while in Times Square, or whatever, and then suddenly they're on Wall Street. Yeah, you can have a fictional world where the Stock Exchange is somewhere else, but because "Wall Street" is shorthand for the financial industry, I think many if not most viewers know that it's not at TImes Square. 

Suddenly it strikes me as weird that you never see Times Square on Daredevil or Jessica Jones, even though Hell's Kitchen is right around the corner. I guess it's because those shows mostly shoot in Brooklyn.

Also, um, "bromance?" Those guys don't even seem to like each other.

• Love 3

Patterson finally asks the right questions though I had to laugh at her request to increase her team. Those folks are ghosts, scurrying around in the background - hardly ever seen and definitely never heard.

I did not find Weller buying Jane's mother's jewelry creepy but rather sweet. It wasn't really the mother's in the first place, he said that she had bought it for Jane after her birth. So he just made sure Jane got her mother's present. She had probably planned to give it to Jane when she reached adulthood. Hard to defend the guy since his obsession with Jane is bordering on creepy but in this instance I'll give him a pass.

• Love 1
(edited)

I kept looking for the big jugular-vein-repair scar on Weller's scruffy beard neck, you know, the injury that almost killed him last week, but it's all healed and gone without a trace. Although watching that closely with all the ADHD camera work almost gave me enough vertigo to cause me to fall off the couch. Wow, tone it down, camera guys.

My only take away from this episode was a big YEAY! Jane and Tree Guy get it on. That was a big "It's about time" from me. She would pass on that to imagining bedding Weller, the "throw me around the room" guy? Please.

And big laugh about Jane having to get all those tats put on, hours in the makeup chair, for that short pull-my-shirt-over-my-head scene. Although maybe that scene was shot months ago when Jane was naked for most of the hour.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

I just remembered something that bugged me about Zappata's plot. When Jane shot evil moustache guy what happened to all the stuff he unearthed? Wasn't he keeping any files? Were they just tossed out of the window? Does the Bureau not know about Zappata's gambling problem? Shouldn't poor under-used therapy guy have a look at the stuff?

Is it a bad sign I find a dead guy, a mysterious tattoo guy more interesting than most of the main characters on this show.

Throw me around the room, writers please what kind of person would actually say shit like that?! I do not care for Jane to be with Kurt, but his new or re-kindled flame for some reason I don't like her. Guess I have trust issues or just hate when they put random speed bumps in the way when we all know they are pushing for Jane and Kurt to be the end game.

And even though Kurt is preoccupied with his sex life I don't buy it that he would not take a little time to have a birthday drink with her. After all that obsessing he did and still does.

• Love 4
(edited)
I just remembered something that bugged me about Zappata's plot. When Jane shot evil moustache guy what happened to all the stuff he unearthed?

Thanks a lot (not) for making me remember that the tanks were being stored in an underground GIGANTIC warehouse which was built under a (drained?) pond and is using EXCESSIVE amounts of electricity.

Please, how stupid are the writers. First, a drained pond is the first place water gathers after a rain or snow melt. And where were the electric lines? And the ventilation system/towers? Other "real" entrances/exits? Who is paying the gigantic electric bill, and to what address is it being sent?

That gigantic underground warehouse could work in a Dr. Who episode, there's good landing space for the tardis. But in a supposedly realistic cop show? Please. 

Then when they found that sewer-drain-cover and opened the hatch, I was expecting them to find Demond Hume, it was such a flashback moment.

I was disappointed all the way around. If only Desmond  had been there ...

Edited by saber5055

I can't believe the torture I sit through just to see Francois Arnaud for 60 seconds. Why couldn't they linger on him shirtless? I deserve a bigger reward for watching this drek.

I assume Weller and Jane are the end game. It's not just chemistry they lack but the entire thing just seems so creepy. Weller has spent his entire life obsessed with a missing little girl. I know she is now an adult but for Weller to think of her in a sexual way is just weird. When he looks into her eyes doesn't he see that little girl? Is he going to throw her around like a rag doll before sexing her up? So gross!

• Love 1

I kept looking for the big jugular-vein-repair scar on Weller's scruffy beard neck, you know, the injury that almost killed him last week, but it's all healed and gone without a trace.

He was actually still wearing a band-aid. I was amused that it was only supposed to be the day after (per Reade saying he broke up with Sarah last night), though, and he didn't need a day off or anything. Between the jugular and then almost having his insides melted this episode, those were a rough two days...

• Love 1

Best part was Jane jumping through the window to kick that guys arse on the trading floor.  Awesomely over-the-top lol.  I want her to go overboard with dramatic action sequences all the time.

Weller: Here, let me open the door for you Patterson.

*Jane bust down from the ventilation shaft, commando rolls across the hallway, takes down Weller and opens the door*

Jane: After you.

• Love 6

I usually like Zapata, but some of the stuff she was saying made no sense to me.  First, her complaining about Kurt and Reade killing their "bromance."  Unless I missed it, I don't remember those two every being that close.  They seemed like solid enough of work colleagues, but I never really got an impression they were friends outside of work or anything (mainly because Kurt doesn't strike me as the most social person on the planet.)  Then, she complained about how they were all awkward with each other, when only real moment I saw was Reade telling Kurt to let Patterson finish explaining how she discovered the tattoos, instead of going straight to the armored car heist.  A bit curt, but Zapata was acting like Reade told Kurt that he and his stupid beard could fuck off or something.  It just all felt like she was grasping at straws or finding drama were there wasn't any.

Surprisingly, Patterson and Ghost Daniel was better then it had any right to be.  Although, it had to lead to another tattoo, of course.

Worse, her whole Reade's "never been happier" spiel, when we could hardly tell he was dating Wellerette at all... Made me seriously roll my eyes. She had no idea who he was dating, and it seemed to come out of nowhere.

Agree completely about the Nerdmuffin, and that's despite surviving the horror that was ghost sex on Grey's, so I wasn't inclined to like it, but did. Fully half the people they've killed off here I like better than most of the regulars.

They probably think the audience is too dumb to notice or even realize that the Stock Exchange is nowhere near Times Square.

Or they just wanted to remind people of the pilot.

I can't believe the torture I sit through just to see Francois Arnaud for 60 seconds. Why couldn't they linger on him shirtless? I deserve a bigger reward for watching this drek.

I assume Weller and Jane are the end game. It's not just chemistry they lack but the entire thing just seems so creepy. Weller has spent his entire life obsessed with a missing little girl. I know she is now an adult but for Weller to think of her in a sexual way is just weird. When he looks into her eyes doesn't he see that little girl? Is he going to throw her around like a rag doll before sexing her up? So gross!

Eh. That's probably what TPTB want, but I really don't think it's necessary for this type of show.  I'm not opposed to them getting together at some point, but pushing them together so soon (although it looks like they've backed off on that a bit) is weird to me because she still barely knows who she is, and also like you said, Weller's obsession is kinda creepy.

----

I wish we'd get more of the Psychologist sessions; with Jane/Taylor and maybe the other cast too.

• Love 2

Is it a bad sign I find a dead guy, a mysterious tattoo guy more interesting than most of the main characters on this show.

Yes, but IA with you since the show has been pretty boring, even with Jane being with her other team of people.

(edited)

So who else hopeful that Daniel would show up alive somehow? And were you at the same time hoping the show wouldn't stoop to such a cheap gimmick?

Edited by dr pepper
  • Love 3

This show reminds me of my relationship with The Blacklist, which I gave up after awhile. I'm still hanging in with Blindspot for the time being. I crack up every time that Weller speaks. Does the actor speak like that - with clipped phrases, etc... - in other roles or just here? I've never seen this actor before.

Loved Jane jumping through the window - regardless of how ridiculous it was.

Does the actor speak like that - with clipped phrases, etc... - in other roles or just here? I've never seen this actor before.

No, he was a bit more loquacious (even if every other word out of his mouth tended to be "f*ck"), and much more high-spirited in Strike Back.

• Love 1

I only started watching Blindspot for Sully (just as I only watched The Player for Philip Winchester - a series that was improving right up until they "suspended" it).  He was terrific in Strike Back, and also in a guest part on Oz's Rush, and that is a large part of why I quit this show at the hiatus.  The writing and the plotting is just crap, and the actors are all (or mostly all) better than this.   Plus, Patterson may indeed be the poo, but she is just flat not believable as a federal employee.  The quirky knows-everything-about-everything lab tech is overdone.

Blindspot seems to me to be one of those shows where the producers hope for 13, just for the credential.  Getting the back nine followed quickly by a second season order is supposed to be a WOW moment, but I think this is one of those shows where it's more of an oh shit event.

Anyway, I'm keeping up via recaps (even tho PTV appears to have dropped it too), and I think I'll stop doing that with the end of this season.

I resent the squandering of the talent.

• Love 4

This episode made no sense. If Chang was behind both the shipments to South Korea and the theft and shipments to North Korea, why did she rob her own truck, kill her own guys, and then have the thieves (did they even get caught?) take the canisters TO THE SAME DOCK AS THEY WERE BEING TAKEN TO ANYWAY and put them on a different ship? Why did she need to rob herself? Why didn't she just let the truck arrive according to plan, and then just have the dock workers put them on a different ship? Then no one would be killed, and the FBI wouldn't be alerted. This is a serious question, I did not understand the case of the week at all. It mystifies.

This bugged me, I was expecting a line of dialogue like, "is it weird for you to be back here?" while in Times Square, or whatever, and then suddenly they're on Wall Street. Yeah, you can have a fictional world where the Stock Exchange is somewhere else, but because "Wall Street" is shorthand for the financial industry, I think many if not most viewers know that it's not at TImes Square. 

Suddenly it strikes me as weird that you never see Times Square on Daredevil or Jessica Jones, even though Hell's Kitchen is right around the corner. I guess it's because those shows mostly shoot in Brooklyn.

Also, um, "bromance?" Those guys don't even seem to like each other.

I believe the building that the filming took place in was NASDAQ, which is in Times Square.

But I could be wrong.

I only started watching Blindspot for Sully (just as I only watched The Player for Philip Winchester - a series that was improving right up until they "suspended" it).

Same here, I've actually enjoyed The Player more than this in the end.

• Love 1

Just catching up on the past episodes because I moved.

It's really unfortunate that there isn't some kind of face covering apparatus, a "mask" if you will, that protects the user from dangerous gases. That's exactly the kind of thing that would have been useful during this episode.

• Love 2

I actually enjoyed this episode - for a start, they just embraced the idiocy of the whole situation (loved Jane shooting out a glass window and then leaping down to stop the bad guys, however ridiculous it was) and even started thinking about, "Hey, who could possibly be doing this?" (OK, you'd hope they would have thought about that months ago, but at least they're thinking about it now!).

While the only relationship I actually care about was Patterson & her (late) boyfriend, I actually thought the personal stuff was actually well handled here - so of course, now I'm coming to terms with Stubbly and his squeeze, The Plot is determined to split them up. I even felt a little sorry for Jane that nobody would drink with her on her birthday - at least she got some sexy times with Tree Tat Guy.

ZotFotPik It's really unfortunate that there isn't some kind of face covering apparatus, a "mask" if you will, that protects the user from dangerous gases

Unfortunately, such things cover the face and so make it impossible to tell the people with Plot Armour from those without it - and is that really a chance they want to take?

kassygreene  Patterson may indeed be the poo, but she is just flat

You clearly didn't see her in her glad rags when they all got to dress up - she DEFINITELY isn't "flat"!

• Love 1