Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

Geary says that soaps are "always in act 2" and that he is tired of how "people don't even die or even if they die they seem to regenerate".

Hmmm. This is verrrry interesting considering the spumor floating around.

What does "always in act 2" mean?

Always in the middle of a story, never at the start of one (Act 1)

Or at the end of one!

Yep.  And, just like we've been saying -- there's no build up and no consequences! 

• Love 1

Yep.  And, just like we've been saying -- there's no build up and no consequences! 

Eh, he's referring more to the overall structure of the genre, that there's no endgame because the show is continuous.

• Love 6

Eh, he's referring more to the overall structure of the genre, that there's no endgame because the show is continuous.

Fair point -- he's talking about the genre in general.

I wonder if he will say anything about the recent writing in his interview with Logan.

Lulu has always had her severely annoying and even intolerable moments, but damn if that Instagram doesn't make me miss Julie Berman.

Eh, he's referring more to the overall structure of the genre, that there's no endgame because the show is continuous.

When written properly, soaps used to have a natural beginning, middle, and ending to stories (often the middle dragged a bit, but more often than not, it worked on old-school GH).  It's just that the same characters then found themselves in another story, like a sequel.   And the back-from-the-dead shit didn't used to be this insanely ubiquitous or blatant.   So I can agree with TG's frustration with how the genre has devolved.  

• Love 6

Have you all seen the story wherein Y&R's Victoria Rowell claims that our Michelle Stafford spit on her and called her "a freak"?

Rowell has built up a rep for making wild, untrue claims. That's one of the reasons her career is in the sad shape it's in right now.

To me one of the beauties of soaps, when the people who ran them gave a damn, was the never-ending story aspect. People could grow and change, but they would always be haunted by their past, it would always be there to help remind us, and them who they used to be, who they still were, who they would be. 

I find it ironic that Geary is upset about soaps never changing when he has fought tooth and nail for decades to make sure Luke never, ever changes.

• Love 9
(edited)

Ratings Report for the Week of June 22-26, 2015

Numbers are based on Live+Same Day ratings

(Compared to Last Week/Compared to Last Year)

Total Viewers

3. GH 2,660,000 (-68,000/-256,000)

Households
3. GH 2.0/6 (same/-.16)

Women 18-49 Viewers

4. GH 436,000 (-18,000/-173,00) <—— new low *

* 2nd straight week at a new low
* Previous low: 454,000 (June 15-19, 2015)

Women 18-49 Rating

4. GH 0.68/5 (-.03/-.27) <—— ties low *

* 10th straight week at a low
* Rounded up to 0.7

GH
Monday: 2.19/2,990,000
Tuesday: 1.96/2,551,000
Wednesday: 1.93/2,585,000
Thursday: 1.97/2,606,000
Friday: 1.68/2,199,000

GH can't last without Olivia, obviously!

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 3

You mean people aren't tuning in to see Liz/Jake, Sonny/Carly, Michael/Sabrina, Nik/Rebecca Budig, Spencer, Luke/Tracy/Laura, Sam/Patrick/Patrick's Phone, Franco/Nina/DenAva/Silas, Ric/Mag, Morgan/Kiki?!?!?!?!?!??

No way.

• Love 6

The show is on life support; the question is, how long will ABC let this go on 'til the plug is pulled, either with regime change #3,908 or outright cancellation.

The ratings are imo richly deserved. And I have to think TIIC thought their Jakeson/Liz/Sam fan wars and Luke's farewell would bring in the viewers. I think they've run out of tricks at this point.

I would be interested to see if ABC replaces RC (and possibly FV). I've never thought, and still don't, that  the network cares enough about the show to bother tinkering with it.If they don't make any changes, I think that view will be confirmed. 

• Love 2

The ratings are imo richly deserved. And I have to think TIIC thought their Jakeson/Liz/Sam fan wars and Luke's farewell would bring in the viewers. I think they've run out of tricks at this point.

I would be interested to see if ABC replaces RC (and possibly FV). I've never thought, and still don't, that  the network cares enough about the show to bother tinkering with it.If they don't make any changes, I think that view will be confirmed. 

I think RC may (quite undeservedly!) get a reprieve if the recent and future comebacks for Luke's farewell tour prove to bump the numbers. But the show is currently so awful, I kind of hope the results prove to be a failure - as they have now for the past 10 (!) weeks.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think RC may (quite undeservedly!) get a reprieve if the recent and future comebacks for Luke's farewell tour prove to bump the numbers. But the show is currently so awful, I kind of hope the results prove to be a failure - as they have now for the past 10 (!) weeks.

Given that View and Chew are also getting turrbull ratings, and facing other issues too, I think GH is safe for at least another full season. But I think that if these ratings continue through July sweeps and with Luke's farewell that Ron will probably be replaced by someone already on staff or someone that will come in and work for peanuts. I don't think Uncle "budget budget budget" Frank is going anywhere no matter what happens. And I thoroughly believe that like most people, he will throw his longtime colleague under the bus to save his own ass.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 2
(edited)

Ratings Report for the Week of June 22-26, 2015

Numbers are based on Live+Same Day ratings

(Compared to Last Week/Compared to Last Year)

Total Viewers

3. GH 2,660,000 (-68,000/-256,000)

Households

3. GH 2.0/6 (same/-.16)

Women 18-49 Viewers

4. GH 436,000 (-18,000/-173,00) <—— new low *

* 2nd straight week at a new low

* Previous low: 454,000 (June 15-19, 2015)

Women 18-49 Rating

4. GH 0.68/5 (-.03/-.27) <—— ties low *

* 10th straight week at a low

* Rounded up to 0.7

GH

Monday: 2.19/2,990,000

Tuesday: 1.96/2,551,000

Wednesday: 1.93/2,585,000

Thursday: 1.97/2,606,000

Friday: 1.68/2,199,000

GH can't last without Olivia, obviously!

What was on that Friday?????

IMO, there are too many non-GH people (Franco, Nina, Dr. O), poor story teling, horrible pacing, never ending stories and the continuous worst couple pairings in history.

Frank, shouldn't be allowed anywhere near casting.

Side note: B&B had more cast members in a board meeting today than GH had at the freaking NB.

Edited by BestestAuntEver
  • Love 6

Friday was pre-empted in a lot of place.

But Thursday had lots of Nina/Franco shenanigans.

Can we now please get rid of Franco and Nina?  At what point -- if ever -- will ABC acknowledge that they are albatrosses on this show?

And if I had my own personal druthers, throw in Kiki, Ava (Maura West is a good actress, but that character is horrid), Madeline, Dr. O. (unless and until Faison comes back, sans Britt, for another round of GH: Espionage), Julian, Sabrina, Morgan, Rosalie, and Sabrina.  

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Silas can stay, so long as he's relegated to hospital scenes and snark patrol (sorry, Morgan, you lost that position with you recent horridness). 

I also can't believe that Carly is nowhere near the top of my personal list of who needs to exit, stage right, post haste.

By the way, remember GH: Espionage?  Good times. 

• Love 7

Given that View and Chew are also getting turrbull ratings, and facing other issues too, I think GH is safe for at least another full season. But I think that if these ratings continue through July sweeps and with Luke's farewell that Ron will probably be replaced by someone already on staff or someone that will come in and work for peanuts. I don't think Uncle "budget budget budget" Frank is going anywhere no matter what happens. And I thoroughly believe that like most people, he will throw his longtime colleague under the bus to save his own ass.

Oh the Twitter meltdown that would ensue!  It would be amazing. 

• Love 5

I also can't believe that Carly is nowhere near the top of my personal list of who needs to exit, stage right

Yeah, its bad when Carly is not the worst thing about the show. Nina/Franco/Ava all need to exit stage right STAT.

• Love 4

Michael.Logan.

@TVGMLogan: What do I think about the #GH ratings collapse @Gazin_theSTARS ? It makes total sense given the state of the show. The fans are speaking.

@TVGMLogan: That said, I am not at all concerned about the future of #GH and am confidant TPTB at ABC will step in and do the right thing.

• Love 1

Michael.Logan.

@TVGMLogan: What do I think about the #GH ratings collapse @Gazin_theSTARS ? It makes total sense given the state of the show. The fans are speaking.

@TVGMLogan: That said, I am not at all concerned about the future of #GH and am confidant TPTB at ABC will step in and do the right thing.

Did you see Ron's awesome* come back? He corrected ML's spelling of confident.

*sarcasm

• Love 6

Did you see Ron's awesome* come back? He corrected ML's spelling of confident.

*sarcasm

Oh, it's ongoing. ML acknowledged he misspelled a word then told RC to grow up. Advice both should take.

But at least this fight is soapier than GH!

• Love 5
(edited)

Oh, it's ongoing. ML acknowledged he misspelled a word then told RC to grow up. Advice both should take.

But at least this fight is soapier than GH!

I can't wait for the meta conversation where Lucas talks about how he de-followed some has been tv critic on twitter

I guess Logan and RC are no longer pen pals.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 4

I can't wait for the meta conversation where Lucas talks about how he de-followed some has been tv critic on twitter

I guess Logan and RC are no longer pen pals.

Someone's gonna get blocked!!

I can't believe it's come to this.

Oh wait, yes.  Yes, I can.

• Love 3
(edited)

Ron really does have the mentality of a 6-year-old.  His retort to Logan telling him to grow up:

"Ron Carlivati ‏@carlivatiron  · 7m7 minutes ago 
@TVGMLogan So you don't enjoy people picking apart your writing. Interesting."

At the risk of insulting people by stating the obvious, umm, no. There's a difference between critiquing the content and nitpicking spelling on social media.

I'm so tempted to respond:

It's a shame no one's taught you that there's more to writing than spelling the words correctly.

But I'm blocked ... so anyone unblocked, have at it!

Edited by Francie
  • Love 9
(edited)

Wow, Ron couldn't be more pathetic if he tried. Has he watched TV before? Does he like every show on TV or the writing that goes along with it? I mean, come on, man. The show is not good. It's just not. Deal with it.

And for the record, I have more of a problem with the story selection and the characters being OOC than his particular writing style.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 5

heee, this one's a good response:

@TVGMLogan Maybe Ron can get a job with the National Spelling Bee (@ScrippsBee) when he is replaced as the #GH headwriter.
#WhyRatingsAreLow

• Love 8

heee, this one's a good response:

@TVGMLogan Maybe Ron can get a job with the National Spelling Bee (@ScrippsBee) when he is replaced as the #GH headwriter.

#WhyRatingsAreLow

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zing!!!!

• Love 4

I can't believe it's come to this.

Oh wait, yes.  Yes, I can.

I can't. I think Logan will walk it back, I'm amazed he got that brazen. Maybe Tony Geary's been bitching to him. Most of these guys are access and survival first, and that means kissing ass.

• Love 1

I can't. I think Logan will walk it back, I'm amazed he got that brazen. Maybe Tony Geary's been bitching to him. Most of these guys are access and survival first, and that means kissing ass.

Something tells me he has scoop that Ron's gone...

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't buy it - I think Frank would fight hard to keep him (and ultimately let him go if he had to), and I personally don't think ABC has any interest in investing in a personnel change. That being said, Logan clearly smells blood in the water.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 5

I agree about ABC not caring about a regime change. OLTL 1.0 died on RC's watch. So I think the plug will be pulled completely if/when ABC gets tired of losing revenue. And that will be that.

But it's sad when a Twitter bitch fight has more drama than the soap RC gets paid good money to write.

• Love 4
(edited)

What's sad is that Ron Carlivati is one of the last people left in this business that actually gives a shit about working in it as opposed to exploiting it in order to get literally anywhere else. He started from the bottom and worked hard, but his ego is his own worst enemy and I have very little sympathy.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 13