Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

25 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I thought that was Tamara until I read the caption. 

So did I!  Looking after reading it was Sarah, I can clearly see it's her, but I totally thought it was Tamara at first sight.  I didn't realize they resembled each other that strongly. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, In2You said:

Teschner hasn't chosen a strong male actor for GH in years even before FV came on board. He's been living off too much hype for awhile now.

Which male leads do you speak off? You can chose the strongest male lead but if the writers continuously write them into a corner, there isn't much he can do.  Dante might have the last major lead that a believe that MT had a hand in casting. 

There came a point where JFP stopped taking a lot of his input. Nolan North and Dylan Neal would have been stronger Steven Lars, but she ended up going with Shaun Benson, competent but lacking as the lead that Steven needed to be (which I believe was deliberate). 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Which male leads do you speak off? You can chose the strongest male lead but if the writers continuously write them into a corner, there isn't much he can do.  Dante might have the last major lead that a believe that MT had a hand in casting. 

There came a point where JFP stopped taking a lot of his input. Nolan North and Dylan Neal would have been stronger Steven Lars, but she ended up going with Shaun Benson, competent but lacking as the lead that Steven needed to be (which I believe was deliberate). 

Dammit.   Nolan North totally needs to be on GH.  I do think that MT cast TRi, which considering his out of GH success shows that he has an eye for talent.  The same year that he cast TRi, he was in a Golden Globe nominated movie and now has the lead on a Showtime drama.  I also think MT cast Sean Blakemore as well.  Ones I don't think he cast- any of the OLTL people, Rafe Jr, Det Tree.  I do think he cast Morgan- BC, Ava, Jordan, Curtis, and Julian.  You can kind of tell by the writing who he cast and who he didn't.  It was more obvious with Ron's writing- obviously Ron wrote more favourably for his pets, but you can still tell. 

10 hours ago, Chairperson Meow said:

Dammit.   Nolan North totally needs to be on GH.  I do think that MT cast TRi, which considering his out of GH success shows that he has an eye for talent.  The same year that he cast TRi, he was in a Golden Globe nominated movie and now has the lead on a Showtime drama.  I also think MT cast Sean Blakemore as well.  Ones I don't think he cast- any of the OLTL people, Rafe Jr, Det Tree.  I do think he cast Morgan- BC, Ava, Jordan, Curtis, and Julian.  You can kind of tell by the writing who he cast and who he didn't.  It was more obvious with Ron's writing- obviously Ron wrote more favourably for his pets, but you can still tell. 

He did not discover Tequan though. Tequan had already been on a successful sitcom that still runs heavily in syndication. The mystery is that he joined GH at all for this nothing role.

• Love 4

Who was GH's last breakout star? (relative unknown who became a fan favorite and then went on to have a big career)

I've noticed alot of the people who went on to primetime recently were not well liked or on for long. 

1 hour ago, In2You said:

Who was GH's last breakout star? (relative unknown who became a fan favorite and then went on to have a big career)

I've noticed alot of the people who went on to primetime recently were not well liked or on for long. 

Vanessa Marcil, maybe? Ingo? ASJ for awhile?

I was going to say Sarah Brown, although she really never became big, although she's done plenty of primetime work--even with a few returns to daytime here and there--so she's doing okay. 

Edited by UYI
9 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Ricky Martin might be the last true breakout star.

he was already a star. That's why he came to GH in the first place. He had been a member of Menudo and acted  in telenovelas and had a solo following already.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, In2You said:

[Ricky Martin] was already a star. That's why he came to GH in the first place. He had been a member of Menudo and acted  in telenovelas and had a solo following already.

Point taken, but if you were above a certain age at the time (as I was), Menudo and/or its individual members were probably off your radar.

46 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Point taken, but if you were above a certain age at the time (as I was), Menudo and/or its individual members were probably off your radar.

That doesn't negate the fact that he was already famous though.  

30 minutes ago, In2You said:

That doesn't negate the fact that he was already famous though.  

He was famous to a certain group of people, is my point. GH gave him a different audience to be famous to.

I was taking "breakout" to mean a wide variety of people know who you are.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

It’s great how they’ve managed to have Jason checking up on Elizabeth multiple times without ever giving them a single scene together. God forbid we see him having any memories of their friendship or expressing any real emotion toward her other than vague concern for the mother of his child! I would take even anger over this nothing.

It SHOULD be anger. I'm sorry, memories of their friendship after TPTB refused to properly right a wrong? Jason should have been livid that his friend and someone he cared about lied to him for months and kept him away from his family. The show should have spent time having Liz feel REMORSE and giving her a redemption arc. Then we can get to Jason's positive memories of Liz. How hard is this to do!?

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

He was famous to a certain group of people, is my point. GH gave him a different audience to be famous to.

I was taking "breakout" to mean a wide variety of people know who you are.

But his fame came from his music not GH.  GH introduce him to some soap fans but music made him global. He wasn't a breakout star for this show. He was a famous singer doing a guest role. 

Amber Tamblyn was a breakout star. She was a fan favorite who left GH and became a big star.

• Love 2
On 9/17/2016 at 4:09 PM, Ambrosefolly said:

Just let Mark Teschner have complete control on the selection on finding Morgan recast. I have a feeling that FV had too much input on BryDog getting cast. 

This is going back a few days, but LW had a pretty big hand in him getting cast. And she will tell you too.

• Love 1

I wish TIIC would take the opportunity of Bryan Craig leaving to rid the show completely of the Corinthos family. It's way past time for each and every of one them to disappear and for the show to reinvest in the Quartermaines, the Baldwins, the Scorpios, the Webbers, etc.

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Love 18
41 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

I wish TIIC would take the opportunity of Bryan Craig leaving to rid the show completely of the Corinthos family. It's way past time for each and every of one them to disappear and for the show to reinvest in the Quartermaines, the Baldwins, the Scorpios, the Webbers, etc.

Michael can stay, as long as he recommits to being a Q.  

• Love 11
43 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Meh. Under this regime all that will mean is that Lulu will continue to have baby rabies without reason or context, Maxie will continue to be a fifth wheel in this Griffin/Claud/Tree triangle, and Liz will be a participant in a Franco redemption story about Hayden Webber and Silas McFinn

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

And rebuild the Jones by bringing a dead Georgie back, Reconnecting Lucas 2 his rightful family, bringing Frisco back and righting Ron wrong with him not getting hell for abandoning Maxie/Georgie & giving Maxie her child back she is a Jones/ Scorpio Legacy. Plus putting Felicia^Mac on Contract. 

Every family except for the wretch Corinthos have suffered & been extinguished it's there turn now 

Edited by NiqueAlexis
  • Love 6

I couldn’t give two craps if any of MT’s picks become the next big Hollywood star. That isn’t his job. His job is if whatever actor he picks is a perfect or even good fit for whatever character the show is using, even if the actor decides to paint daisies as his/her next career move. That is what I consider good casting. JMB was good casting as Lulu not because she could become a big primetime star, (she had almost as good as a primetime career as Tequin Richmond pre GH) but because she could believable play the daughter of Luke and Laura. Do his picks elevate this show?  Does he or she make sense for whatever character? Those are the only question worth asking in my opinion. I don’t hate Emme Rylan, but I would have given just about anything if JFP/Guza got her head out of her ass had gave me one scene with Genie Francis/Jonathan Jackson/ Tony Geary/Julie Marie Berman. 

While my pick for Nolan North is to come back as Chris Ramsey, these asshats couldn’t write for Chris Ramsey if you gave them all the time and money in the world. Because Chris was an operator, and an often ambitious and underhanded one as that, they could would turn him into an “angel or death”/Port Charles’ strangler, even though Chris not only did give a shit about life and being a good doctor, he abhorred violence and suffering for others, even if it was inflicted on his enemies (especially if he felt he had a hand in bring it about). (Too be fair, Guza couldn’t write for Chris either, Jason was the height of complexity for him).

• Love 3

For me, the last newbie who really blew me away was Dom Zamprogna.   I'm actually really surprised he didn't find work on a procedural "Blue Bloods" type show. 

And ill be surprised if Brydog doesnt find work at a ""Burger King" type place.

• Love 4
On 9/19/2016 at 1:33 PM, Oracle42 said:

Jonathan Jackson

Amber Tamblyn was after him, though. 

And while she's not hugely famous or anything, Marisa Ramirez (Gia 1.0) did wind up on Blue Bloods, so there's that. 

• Love 2

In the NYT today, there was a short article about how Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" is way overused on TV and in movies, and one of the examples given was GH, when Steve and Olivia and others went on a ski trip. They sang that song on the way up the mountain, and it was played over scenes of the bus crash.

Ugh, it makes me barf remembering it. So the wrong song by the wrong person (what a sop to Scott Reeves) on the wrong show. But typical tone-deaf GH.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

It would surprise me more if they didn't recast Morgan. 

Seriously.  After all, we can't have one less Corinthos onscreen!  They're magic!

Edited by Fellaway
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

In the NYT today, there was a short article about how Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" is way overused on TV and in movies, and one of the examples given was GH, when Steve and Olivia and others went on a ski trip. They sang that song on the way up the mountain, and it was played over scenes of the bus crash.

Ugh, it makes me barf remembering it. So the wrong song by the wrong person (what a sop to Scott Reeves) on the wrong show. But typical tone-deaf GH.

Oy, "Hallelujah" was becoming overused in TV and movies in, like, 2000, let alone now. And I LIKE that song!

• Love 1

I can't stand his voice. It's so irritating. I know that's insulting BC and I apologize.

@HeatLifer, spare him your apologies. I didn't even wanna bother mentioning it, but so the "show"/chat was finally supposed to be today, it was 10 minutes in he still didn't show up (him or his friend, not that anyone cared about him I'm sure), and I figured he probably just forgot since he's been so busy taping lately, but some other person was flipping out lol, as if this was an unexpected occurrence. And then we got an e-mail when the chat was supposed to be almost over that they pushed it back to next Tuesday. This is the fourth time rescheduling! Anyway, I asked for the two buttons and the piece of lint I gave to attend the chat back from stageit, but it's probably nonrefundable.

And what I think is the shittiest part is there's no apology or anything from either Bryan or his friend on twitter. I'm not angry, cause hello, I knew there was a chance of this, but that other poor fan seemed pretty shocked, so I think they at least deserved some sort of apology or explanation.

So, in-short: BC is kind of a douche and he doesn't deserve your apologies. You're too nice! ;)

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 8

For however it plays out, good or ill, CBS/Sony just made a real investment in Y&R's future: It brought back the two Bill Bell proteges fans have been clamoring for years who were drummed out by the network in the 2000s and who people said would never come back. That's got me heated because I don't think ABC would ever bother to even reach out to Riche, or anyone earlier than Guza (or even someone from his team, like my preference, Karen Harris).

• Love 4

I don't think Karen Harris would do it. I think she was completely burned out when she left. She was also frustrated by the continual budget-cutting and lack of creative support. Neither of those things has changed, and it's unlikely they'll improve.

• Love 1

I wonder if Valentini would even be open to having anyone who actually has a knowledge of GH history as headwriter around him.

1 minute ago, dubbel zout said:

I don't think Karen Harris would do it. I think she was completely burned out when she left. She was also frustrated by the continual budget-cutting and lack of creative support. Neither of those things has changed, and it's unlikely they'll improve.

If she were headwriter, that would probably be a different story though.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I don't think Karen Harris would do it. 

True, but I didn't think these two at Y&R would ever be back. I know either the network or Sony (or both) supposedly had a vested interest in keeping Alden in particular (Bell's chosen successor) out.

15 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I wonder if Valentini would even be open to having anyone who actually has a knowledge of GH history as headwriter around him.

At OLTL Frank always struck me as a chameleon - whatever the HW's vision he would expedite it, period. He seemed to have no ultimate loyalty but to the show and himself. Which I think is largely what a soap EP should do, provided their own creative vision is in the mix but not too overbearing. He supposedly could not stand Higley, but he blindly defended her schlock for years to the public. He and Ron became simpatico and stayed together years as a 'dream team', but Frank let him get cut loose.

Today I think Frank may consider himself more the wunderkind, since he and Ron became very popular and visible - I think he's had more and more of his own favorites, his own vision in the last couple years of OLTL and especially since coming to GH, feted by the soap press as a genius.

Edited by jsbt