Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I saw some speculation that her "working on it" may be her working on a deal to get her back on GH, but I doubt it. I definitely wouldn't rule it out though, not after Dr Michael Easton part 2.

That's what I was thinking of, not that I wanted to say it out loud. :P But I really didn't see it as shade, I was trying to squint and actually find it. I saw more someone saying that she missed her old friend and co star. 

• Love 3

"I'm honestly only excited if we get to work together" kinda says to me "I don't care about GH" or even, even though I don't think she meant this, "I don't care about about your career unless it involves meee" but maybe she realized it came off like that and that's why she deleted it. Or maybe she accidentally revealed "she's working on it" i.e. getting back to GH. dun dun DUN.

• Love 2

Oh, I hope we don't get yet another character for KA. She can't play the ingénue, and I don't need her to be a spoiler for Michael and Sabrina, as snoozy as they are.

She's really lucky she had the protection she got from the EPs. Not many child actors play their characters for as long as she did on OLTL. 

• Love 3

I definitely wouldn't rule it out though, not after Dr Michael Easton part 2.

When he left as Silas, he had just inked a 3-year contract - so not really a surprise.  I was sad to see him back after his vampire dreck but not so much in this incarnation.

Anyone know if Nina/MS was offered a new contract?  Her two years are up. 

• Love 1

I asked this question in the history thread, but I'll ask here too:

When/or do you think GH started writing to cater to fan bases?  Do you think this has hindered GH/soaps in general in anyway?  Has social media played any part in writing or the direction of story?  

3 hours ago, ulkis said:

"I'm honestly only excited if we get to work together" kinda says to me "I don't care about GH" or even, even though I don't think she meant this, "I don't care about about your career unless it involves meee" but maybe she realized it came off like that and that's why she deleted it. Or maybe she accidentally revealed "she's working on it" i.e. getting back to GH. dun dun DUN.

It's honestly hard for me to interpret what she said as anything other "I don't give a rat's ass unless to involves MEEEE."

The only thing keeping me from thinking that's 100% what she meant is this thought:  I mean, who does that? Who says that out loud?

I mean, she and Bree are friends, so maybe she meant it to sound like that and meant for Bree Williamson to be in on the joke? Odd tweet, all around.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Chairperson Meow said:

I asked this question in the history thread, but I'll ask here too:

When/or do you think GH started writing to cater to fan bases?  Do you think this has hindered GH/soaps in general in anyway?  Has social media played any part in writing or the direction of story?  

I think all soaps to a certain extent cater to fan bases and always have. However, in the past, the catering was still within the framework of the overall story that was crafted by professional writers. They've stretched out the buildup to a love story, they've sped up break ups when they found a better couple. They've also held firm and kept with a story that fans initially hated, but ended up loving.

GH's problem began when Guza decided that he was better than a mere soap opera writer and wanted to change the show and format by turning GH into The Sopranos. Writers that disrespect the genre end up destroying the show they are in charge of.

For a while in the beginning, Hogan Sheffer thought he could "improve" soaps and he had a rough time, but he finally respected and understood the genre and simply wrote the stories that he was hired to do. ATWT had some really good years the first go round for him. AMC didn't want to turn the show into a prime time show, but in my opinion, they were forced to by Frons and we had to endure fake Sex and the City.

The biggest problem of soaps overall has been the lack of faith in the audience. Either the writers themselves or the producers and networks above them, didn't believe that the soap audience knew and understood that the OJ trial was something that wouldn't even happen again in real life, so there wasn't any expectation for it to happen on our shows.

They kept looking to OJ for answers when they should've been looking back to Agnes Nixon, Doug Marland, Bill Bell, etc. Notice that even during the down moments of B&B, Bradley has still stayed truer to what his father taught him than trying to follow the latest hit show in a completely different genre.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, Kendall said:

I think all soaps to a certain extent cater to fan bases and always have. However, in the past, the catering was still within the framework of the overall story that was crafted by professional writers. They've stretched out the buildup to a love story, they've sped up break ups when they found a better couple. They've also held firm and kept with a story that fans initially hated, but ended up loving.

GH's problem began when Guza decided that he was better than a mere soap opera writer and wanted to change the show and format by turning GH into The Sopranos. Writers that disrespect the genre end up destroying the show they are in charge of.

For a while in the beginning, Hogan Sheffer thought he could "improve" soaps and he had a rough time, but he finally respected and understood the genre and simply wrote the stories that he was hired to do. ATWT had some really good years the first go round for him. AMC didn't want to turn the show into a prime time show, but in my opinion, they were forced to by Frons and we had to endure fake Sex and the City.

The biggest problem of soaps overall has been the lack of faith in the audience. Either the writers themselves or the producers and networks above them, didn't believe that the soap audience knew and understood that the OJ trial was something that wouldn't even happen again in real life, so there wasn't any expectation for it to happen on our shows.

They kept looking to OJ for answers when they should've been looking back to Agnes Nixon, Doug Marland, Bill Bell, etc. Notice that even during the down moments of B&B, Bradley has still stayed truer to what his father taught him than trying to follow the latest hit show in a completely different genre.

Very well written post.  I agree with you.  I've seen a huge decline overall in lack of family stories, social awareness stories, and romance.  The biggest stories I remember in soaps are the OLTL Spring Fling rape story (which is partially relevant in cases occurring today), Y&R having the story when we learned John Abbott had another family, B&B showing Macy's alcoholism, GH with Robin having HIV and BJ's heart transplant, and GL when Reva declared herself um in the fountain.  There haven't been many big stories like that at all.  There's no Todd and Blair or Roger and Holly or Jennifer and Jack because there's no redemption written.  It's all "oh these people love this guy, we'll write him good ". Fans ship character and drown social media.  I don't even think soap twitter knows what good writing or acting truly is.   

• Love 2

Hasn't this show been enough of a charity where Michael Easton is concerned? FFS, do NOT let KA come back as a 3rd character (or, watch, Hayley Erin will be given the boot for her to resume Kiki).

Either way...UGH.

As an aside, how much do I like that my spellcheck still refuses to recognize "Kiki"?

• Love 5
(edited)

My say something nice: She is in damn good shape, I'll give her that.

But what the hell is this even for? Her own backwards tribute to Ali since he just passed? What? 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, amaranta said:

OK, WTF is MS doing in that picture? 

There can't possibly be a good answer to that question.

I think it's awesome. It'll save her kids so much money in therapy later on.

Oh, I probably should explain what I meant by that. All they have to do is show that picture to their mental health provider. It'll shortcut the diagnosis process by hours.

• Love 14
15 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I don't need her to be a spoiler for Michael and Sabrina, as snoozy as they are.

A triangle between those two and a KA character would be so horrible that it might make it's way around to hilariously entertaining for me.

12 hours ago, Kendall said:

The biggest problem of soaps overall has been the lack of faith in the audience. 

I think that's it, too. They think we're all deeply stupid and they have no respect for us.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Chairperson Meow said:

I can't  with that MSt pic, but yeah, she is in great shape.   

Im not exactly since unbiased since you all know I think The Staff's "acting" is utter horse manure, but I think she looks awful.  She has no curves.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

What the..I don't...WHY?

It's some sort of single moms website promotion thing. Which lessens the awkwardness factor by about a smidgen.

On 6/5/2016 at 0:53 PM, KerleyQ said:

Scanning through MB's Twitter feed, I have to wonder if he doesn't genuinely dislike CD.  It seems like he enjoys doing that passive-aggressive "I'm just kidding" picking on Chad thing.  He'll say things like "Morgan and Dante, my two sons!" in response to a picture of CD, DZ, and BC.

Sounds to me more like trolling the fans who refuse to forget that A.J. is Michael's father rather than busting on Chad.

• Love 3

JFP is out at Y&R. If I was Frank I'd watch my back; ABC is uncreative and disinterested in GH beyond keeping price down and keeping it afloat long enough for their pilot programs to eventually displace it. If the show keeps floundering, JFP can sell herself as the super-cheap cost-cutting, demo-getting alternative to the man who used to be called the best with the purse and the youth demo. I wouldn't be surprised if she's angling for it, not that I will ever endorse JFP returning to any soap in any way.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, jsbt said:

JFP can sell herself as the super-cheap cost-cutting

Wasn't she constantly going over budget during her last stint at GH? Though I can see ABCD bringing her back because of History! with everyone. We're doomed no matter what, I think. The show is gone the instant they find something with decent ratings to replace it.

She absolutely was going overbudget on CGI and bullshit. They got away with it because Guza was a co-producer, he was Frons' favorite boy and GH was his favored soap.

But over the years JFP has campaigned in the business on a somewhat antiquated and inaccurate rep for two things: Budgetary thriftiness and demographics. She helped Sony/CBS make Y&R look as cheap as possible, for example. I have no doubt she'd keep peddling that rep, regardless of it largely being outmoded (though she apparently did turn the Chancellor estate on Y&R into a Best Western or something, to the public chagrin of the longtime veteran stars).

(edited)
On June 1, 2016 at 8:40 PM, TeeVee329 said:

Saw this on Twitter and found it very, very annoying:

I mean, duh, of course Sonny sees things that way.  The problem is that the show never allows the counterpoint to air.  We never hear another character calling out Sonny out on his murdering and mobstering and the terrible things he's done to his children.  And all the while, Sonny and Carly are hoisted up as the show's moral centers and romantic leads.  THAT's the disconnect.

Ignore. I don't know what I'm doing. DOH!

Edited by ch1
39 minutes ago, jsbt said:

JFP is out at Y&R. If I was Frank I'd watch my back; ABC is uncreative and disinterested in GH beyond keeping price down and keeping it afloat long enough for their pilot programs to eventually displace it. If the show keeps floundering, JFP can sell herself as the super-cheap cost-cutting, demo-getting alternative to the man who used to be called the best with the purse and the youth demo. I wouldn't be surprised if she's angling for it, not that I will ever endorse JFP returning to any soap in any way.

Fuck.   Does that mean Steve is coming back?   Ugh.  I don't like Frank, but I don't want Steve back either.  OTOH, could this mean goodbye to MSt, RoHo, ME, TeCa, etc?

• Love 2
(edited)

I would not be shocked to see Steve back. I always thought he'd be back when Jill's luck ran out. I don't think that'll happen right away, though. I know Ron had planned to rehash the Two Todds from OLTL with Miller and Burton if that came to pass. And for the record, I think Steve would/will return eventually regardless of whether or not Jill ever does.

FWIW though, this is Jamey Giddens' take on the situation:

I have no tea on Frank. There is no tea on Frank. He can do a soap with bag of Crown Royal nickels. Nets like that.

That's certainly been very true over the years - Frank has been teflon over and over. But JFP used to be touted as the frugal queen herself. In this daytime industry it's all about who was cheaper last or next, and I can see him sliding at some point if some more of these hires keep screwing the show.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 2

I don't see another EP putting up with Steve's cushy work schedule.  Allegedly, he tapes a few days a week and lives in Memphis or something.  Idk.  I know it's weird.  But who would Miller be?  AJ?  Great.  I suppose we'll get another undisclosed location and constant stutterbark demands from Sonny about what "it" is.   I wonder if this means that the blind about the writing team having till the end of summer is Jelly.  I can see Frank cutting them/throwing them under if it means saving his own ass.  

I wonder who will run Y&R now.  The backstage drama is so much more interesting.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't see SBu coming back as long as FV is still there.  FV wouldn't give him the schedule he wanted, so he bolted, don't know why FV would change his mind at this juncture.  

My hope is that Michelle Stafford will decide it's safe to go back now that JFP's gone.

Edited by LegalParrot81
  • Love 6
(edited)

FV worked to try to lure Steve back after freezing him out and he'd do it again, IMO. He's done it with worse situations. I think Steve's pride would eventually buckle if he was x'ed out of Y&R - rich or not (and Steve is very rich), that man always wants another check and Frank wants and needs the viewers. In the end, both of them are interested in business and money. But I think Steve will ride out Y&R as long as he can; who knows how long that is.

I am pretty sure the writers are JP/SA.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1

Oh joy.  On the one hand, Steve could be useful at GH.  Plus, I'd really like to see his Jason with SK's AJ and CD's Michael.  Also, to pay him they'd have to cut a lot of useless fat, so yay.  Billy Miller is a good actor, but I'd prefer him as a Q, either a son of Alan/AJ or cousin, whatever.  On the other hand, Borg.  I do wonder what will happen to JT as well.  I um heard he's not well received by everyone as Billy.  I wonder if he'd come back.  From what I've seen, he's better than the last two.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I honestly never want to see Steve Burton again.

14 minutes ago, LegalParrot81 said:

My hope is that Michelle Stafford will decide it's safe to go back now that JFP's gone.

I think she'll try to get her part back sooner or later, though I think Gina Tognoni has surpassed her by leaps and bounds. Knowing Stafford, she hates that. Gina could end up being JFP fallout as well too, which would be a terrible mistake IMO; I think (or like to think, anyway) she's been much more successful overall than the very expensive Steve Burton. But I wouldn't be shocked if this news only makes FV quadruple down on Stafford/La Neens just so he can continue his pointless little feud with Sony/CBS over hires.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 6

If only Frank ('s intern's) tone-deaf tweeting could get him fired.  This is how "he" promoted today's episode:

Sonny comes to the rescue!! @MauriceBenard @GeneralHospital #GHSummerLoving #GH

• Love 4

In a rational world, yes, but ABC cares even less about GH and soaps than CBS does its daypart. I don't think anyone is paying that much attention except Nathan Varni, the savviest young staffer since Donald Trump's 27-year-old spokeswoman Hope Hicks.

• Love 5

Someone started paying attention to Varni, at least, because I read a few days ago that he was supposed to go on that ridiculous fan podcast again and pulled the plug at the last minute, I assume on a higher up's orders.

• Love 5
(edited)

On the other hand, Borg.  I do wonder what will happen to JT as well.  I um heard he's not well received by everyone as Billy.  I wonder if he'd come back.  From what I've seen, he's better than the last two.  

I think JT is the victim of uneven writing and a character that never should have been recast. The man can act but the stuff they were giving him seemed to change from day to day. I tried watching, I really did, but the actions and motivations of most of the characters changed so much from one show to the next that I had no clue who I should root for. I finally gave up when I realized that the writers think that Victor is the hero of the show which could not be further from the truth. I get enough of that BS on GH with Sonny.

I really think that they should have brought him in as a new character completely and let him chem test and find a pairing and story line that works but trying to put him in as Billy just did not work. I am not a professional writer and I could come up with at least five or six different scenarios that would have worked better than what the writers on Y&R did.

I really wish that they would work with Disney (isn't KMc under contract with them?) to create a work schedule that would allow KMc plenty of time to direct and still act on the show on a part-time basis - the only times I watch anymore are when I know she is going to be on. Girl still has mad chemistry with everyone on that show, even BM. I could see a story where Jason's memories coming back have him question whether he really belongs with Sam.

No to the Borg returning though. From what I could see, he is the Y&R's leading man right now and I don't see them letting him go anytime soon.

Edited by cmahorror
  • Love 3

I heard Justin Hartley's new show has a lot of buzz.  JT would've made a great Adam IMO.  I think too many new characters overall are being added to soaps.  They need history and connected characters.  Either cast/age up the characters we hear about but never see (Serena, Cam, Aiden etc) or recast characters that should be on the canvas, but aren't (AJ, Maya, Stephen Lars, Matt Hunter etc) instead of bringing on a huge get and building a family around them, planting hashtags on social media, and hoping that they catch on with a rabid and stupid fanbase.  Literally anything can be a "thing" on soap twitter if you use a derogatory term and a cool hashtag.  Social media and keyboard warriors should not dictate soaps.  God, I thought I had enough of that bs with WWE.  But nope.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jsbt said:

I honestly never want to see Steve Burton again.

I want SBu, Geary, VM, JT, JJ, KMc to stay away. All for different reasons. But nothing good comes from this show anymore, IMO. There's just the certainty of character destruction, stories that make no sense, shoddy writing, cheap sets, and the promoting of FV's favorite actors. 

• Love 1

Steve was Jill's leading man on Y&R, and a very expensive one. Jill is gone and Chuck Pratt may be on thin ice as well. I don't know if Steve will go right away, but I believe he will go sooner or later and sidle over to GH.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, jsbt said:

Steve was Jill's leading man on Y&R, and a very expensive one. Jill is gone and Chuck Pratt may be on thin ice as well. I don't know if Steve will go right away, but I believe he will go sooner or later and sidle over to GH.

Timing is everything. I don't see this show lasting past 2018.