Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

Isn’t it fun to just have a looney toon running around town who can wreak havoc on the rest of the characters?

This is one of the things that makes Ron a shitty, shitty head writer.  No, Ron, it isn't fun.  It is lazy and stupid, though.

That photo of Ryan P. feeding baby Harper is adorable. 

Just coming on to post the RC interview, and see we're already in the throes of discussion about it. So once again, he says he wants us to fee sorry for Franco and Nina. Among the many moronic things he said, was this gem about how they pitched Nina to MSt:

When I pitched with Frank [Valentini, executive producer] what we thought Nina would be to Michelle, and what she liked about it, was this woman who came on as this fragile, little flower, but that there was this steely person underneath

Because at NO time from the very first second Nina appeared in PC, did she even remotely come across as a fragile little flower. So if that was the plan, it was an epic fail.

And while I understand his point about killing AJ being the catalyst for the current Michael story, I'm still pissed at the way he handled it.

• Love 4

Not only was she not a fragile flower, making her BSC is not the same as making her have a "steely person underneath".  She literally came back (in the flashback scene in Silas' apartment) being shown her off her rocker.

• Love 5

And while I understand his point about killing AJ being the catalyst for the current Michael story, I'm still pissed at the way he handled it.

Admittedly, I don't read RC interviews, but AJ didn't need to die for this current story.  They could have easily had the same beats play out with AJ in a permanent coma or someone faking his death.  Also by AJ being dead a major part of the payoff is lost.  I would rather see Michael announce himself a Q to his father.  I would like to have seen AJ get to gloat to Sonny and Carly about finally knowing what its like to be cut off and treated like nothing.

• Love 7
What gets me about that one is that it seems like he only thinks there's one of those characters instead of 12.

That's exactly what I thought! On the canvas at this very moment, there are at least five. 

I've never viewed Maxie or Liz as heroines.

In the simplistic view of GH, they're heroines because they aren't villains.

• Love 1
Look, I love Duke and Anna, but I felt it was time to shake those two up.

?? Don't you have to be on in the first place to need shaking up??

Even before he gave Sonny the alibi, when he first went to work for Sonny, we played a little thing where he was inadvertently passing around counterfeit money. She said, “If we end up on opposite sides of the law, this is going to be a problem for us.” Now those chickens have come home to roost. The audience knows Anna may have done some questionable things herself. We still don’t know what she did to Faison (Anders Hove). Does she have a leg to stand on when it comes to judging Duke?

Yes! Yes she does! Duke would totally approve too! This is not some murky moral grey area.

• Love 6

I am very glad to hear what he's said about Jason - I do not give a single fuck for Jason Morgan - but the rest is all sorts of wacky nonsense.

I can understand telling heightened stuff with the kids up to a point, I understand that appeal. I like when soaps use kids, because soaps are about families, and I don't think these kids should be not on the show doing stuff. But when they're nothing but quip machines and don't seem to have any human moments where they can just sit and talk with their families and be kids the way, say, Lucky and Emily did, it all rings hollow.

And no, there is no comparison between what other villains on this show have done vs. what Anna did to Faison.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 6

Let's not forget this:

I think all four of those kids are gold. I adore them. I love watching them interact with one another. I think it’s so much fun to play with soap opera conventions and put those little 9-year-olds in those situations. I laughed when Emma had her first “lurk and overhear”. I think there is something incredibly sweet about it. It’s not meant to be realistic. Yes, we are aware that this is not typical 9-year-old behavior, but I’m not interested, really, in seeing typical 9-year-olds. I think that our audience has typical 9-year-olds at home. These are larger-than-life characters on soaps. We thought it would be fun to show their lives are miniature versions of what is playing out with the adults.

I'm not interested in seeing any 9-year-olds on the soap on a regular basis, typical or not. Ron is so pleased and proud of his stupid kiddie quad.

I despair that we've seen only the prologue of the Fake!Luke story. I get they had to pause it a bit because of the uncertain length of TG's medical leave, and I'm fine with that, but that doesn't mean the story had to be so badly paced. 

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

I do not give a single fuck for Jason Morgan.

ITA. But why bring the character back if you just want him to be completely different? Jason's memories (whether Q or Morgan) are the only reason this story has any legs. If Ron wanted funny Jake Doe, he should have introduced him as such. Don't use the history of Jason to fool viewers.

• Love 4

Teresa had her baby and we had to hit the pause button with Sabrina. To me, it just seemed like a logical step for the character. As you said, she was a Disney princess and we told a fairy tale about her and Patrick (Jason Thompson) getting together. Once we told the story where the baby died [Pauses]…I sort of became interested in, “Whoa, what would this girl do?” How far could we push her? That was a tough one, because I loved seeing her, and I think the audience loved seeing her, take this drastic action. But your heart goes out to Sabrina. You don’t want to see her go down that path. To me, it was like she was in a fog, a fog of pain and grief and she came out of it.

um, Ron? we really DON'T love her and don't feel sorry for her. And we don't care about her pain.

• Love 6

I'm not sure if Jamey Giddens can get any further up Carlivati's ass... 

Who actually gives a fuck about Sabrina? I sure as hell don't. She's so boring and blah. 

Edited by Box305
  • Love 7

Can someone tell me what Ron said about Jakeson so I don't have to read that interview?

The main takeaway....

RC: He went many, many years as Jason Quartermaine before he was Jason Morgan, and this guy is neither. It’s not to say down the line that he might not become Jason Quartermaine, or might not become Jason Morgan, but right now he’s “Jake Doe” and we’re having fun with that.

I'm not sure if Jamey Giddens can get any further up Carlivati's ass... 

If there's a way to do it, Jamey will figure it out.

I have never understood why Giddens and Fairman were such fans of Sabrina. It made absolutely NO sense to me. Meanwhile, places like Serial Drama or DespairintheAfternoon couldn't give a shit about her at all and rather disliked her. I recall Fairman really pushing hard for Sabrina and Patrick. I have never understood it.

• Love 2

Ron is so pleased and proud of his stupid kiddie quad.

Meanwhile, his show's teen scene is two characters who have the most stable relationship of anyone on the canvas and his twenty-something scene is a disaster. He needs to build up the next generation before he builds up two generations from now, you know?

I recall Fairman really pushing hard for Sabrina and Patrick. I have never understood it.

Michael Fairman is indeed Sabrina's #1 Fan and I really do.  Not.  Get.  It.  There's absolutely nothing special about the character or the actress and it's not like she's some "soap royalty" (like Michelle Stafford) whose ass he needs to kiss to keep his blog afloat.

Ron's comments about Sabrina terrified me because he's clearly not done with trying to make her happen.  Which...what?  She's barely there as it is, her gay bestie just went recurring, what exactly are they going to try and pull with her?

Edited by TeeVee329

RC and FV have no major interest in black characters.

Which is completely unacceptable.

And I wouldn't mind the kiddie squad if they were given actual kiddie storylines. Instead of having Emma in a love triangle, maybe have a scene where her stupid father tells her that her mother isn't coming home. I can't believe they're completely pretending that never happened. Emma be sipping on milkshakes like nothing.

• Love 1

Which is completely unacceptable.

And I wouldn't mind the kiddie squad if they were given actual kiddie storylines. Instead of having Emma in a love triangle, maybe have a scene where her stupid father tells her that her mother isn't coming home. I can't believe they're completely pretending that never happened. Emma be sipping on milkshakes like nothing.

How about poor Joss's mother being in jail.Maybe its because I've been watching old PC episodes but when scott was on trial on PC and the custody hearing.Serena was deeply effected by it and mentioned that kids at school teased her about it.Are we supposed to believe none of the kids told Joss about her mother being in jail before now.I don't buy it.

But I hate how Ron's reaction is basically like, "Well, we tried.  We brought in Felix's awesome sister and the totally dreamy Rafe, it's not our fault you didn't go for it."  It's your job to fucking fix it, man!

This was also their approach to the Evans family on OLTL near the end - pleasant tokens. I will never forget the bizarrely inappropriate scene where they had, like, a banana cream piefight on Thanksgiving. Their scenes were this comedy routine of everyone getting hit with pies, and then all the black recurring players stood around covered in white cream. I'm just saying!

How about poor Joss's mother being in jail.Maybe its because I've been watching old PC episodes but when scott was on trial on PC and the custody hearing.Serena was deeply effected by it and mentioned that kids at school teased her about it.Are we supposed to believe none of the kids told Joss about her mother being in jail before now.I don't buy it.

That, too! Spencer was the only one crying about "Uncle Sonny." The murderer gets more tears from a kid than the girls have for their moms.

But I hate how Ron's reaction is basically like, "Well, we tried.  We brought in Felix's awesome sister and the totally dreamy Rafe, it's not our fault you didn't go for it."  It's your job to fucking fix it, man!

But to fix it requires good writing, and well...

• Love 2

RC: He went many, many years as Jason Quartermaine before he was Jason Morgan, and this guy is neither. It’s not to say down the line that he might not become Jason Quartermaine, or might not become Jason Morgan, but right now he’s “Jake Doe” and we’re having fun with that.

If we're stuck with Jakeson indefinitely that means we're also stuck with this Jiz barf fest indefinitely too. How disgusting. I have no interest in seeing Sam compete with that stalker nurse again.

• Love 1

Or, as I'm sure Michelle Stafford calls, him, Ry!

I'm pretty sure it's: Ryan, Ryan, definitely Ryan, Ry, Ry-guy, Ry-guy, Ry-guy, definitely Ry-guy; Ryan, Ry, definitely Ry. Ry. Definitely.

• Love 3
I wouldn't mind the kiddie squad if they were given actual kiddie storylines.

Exactly. If I have to suffer through seeing these kids more than I want to, at least give them age-appropriate stories. I know Ron is dead set against writing for "regular 9-year-olds," but a love quad is ridiculous. And Spencer as a mini Hugh Hefner is just gross. I thought his scheming with Britt was stupid, but at least it felt somewhat age-appropriate.

• Love 1
Exactly. If I have to suffer through seeing these kids more than I want to, at least give them age-appropriate stories. I know Ron is dead set against writing for "regular 9-year-olds," but a love quad is ridiculous. And Spencer as a mini Hugh Hefner is just gross. I thought his scheming with Britt was stupid, but at least it felt somewhat age-appropriate.

It's not like their given either age-appropriate or "beyond their years" storylines.  They are doing kiddie burlesque, the hook of which is nothing more than, "Gee, isn't it funny to have little kids say and do adult things?!" It's just a run on gag.

Like the corn thing.

And the BLT thing.

And, really, just about everything Ron writes.

Edited by Francie

I still think the bigger problem is...if they beat to death this quad with Emma/Cameron/Spencer/Joss now, why in the blazes would we give a crap when they hit high school and they actually start having soapy romantic stories?

I still think the bigger problem is...if they beat to death this quad with Emma/Cameron/Spencer/Joss now, why in the blazes would we give a crap when they hit high school and they actually start having soapy romantic stories?

The show probably won't be around for that.