Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

The only thing that will fix this show is if they magically start caring about good storytelling and likeable, consistent characters again.

Right now the whole thing seems to be based on the most cynical business model possible: "well, it's a shitty product and customers are complaining, but it's under budget and still kind of turns a profit, and we managed to keep Geary and Benard reasonably sort of content for a while -- and we signed some more actors that the shambling corpse of the soap media will recognize so that'll generate 'buzz' - even though we have no plan to write a good story for them ... so, yeah, we kinda did our jobs.'"

• Love 8

The only thing that will fix this show is if they magically start caring about good storytelling and likeable, consistent characters again.

Right now the whole thing seems to be based on the most cynical business model possible: "well, it's a shitty product and customers are complaining, but it's under budget and still kind of turns a profit, and we managed to keep Geary and Benard reasonably sort of content for a while -- and we signed some more actors that the shambling corpse of the soap media will recognize so that'll generate 'buzz' - even though we have no plan to write a good story for them ... so, yeah, we kinda did our jobs.'"

Yup. This isn't about fixing stories or characters. It's about staying under budget, deflecting blame to other shows that effected GH, and listening to actors as opposed to staying true to characters and the audience. It's sad. Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 1

Yup. This isn't about fixing stories or characters. It's about staying under budget, deflecting blame to other shows that effected GH, and listening to actors as opposed to staying true to characters and the audience. It's sad.

And only certain actors, clearly.

• Love 1

No, what "saved" GH was that The Revolution tanked so hard the network couldn't cancel GH. #RealWorldFact 

It was a combination of things. That was a huge part of it, but IIRC Katie Couric also was very concerned about her lead-in. GH became more viable than the alternative.

• Love 2

I just watched a very un-Brydog-like Periscope. Maura's daughter is a big fan of BC, and he was really sweet to her and very complimentary of MW's talent. Said how lucky he is to work with her, etc. I was like, who is this guy? But yeah, he was completely different than he normally is. Granted, it was only a few minutes, but I couldn't bear to watch the rest with Mo, who I am completely soured on.

Although ulkis, I hear that Dom showed up.

I just watched a very un-Brydog-like Periscope. Maura's daughter is a big fan of BC, and he was really sweet to her and very complimentary of MW's talent. Said how lucky he is to work with her, etc. I was like, who is this guy? But yeah, he was completely different than he normally is. Granted, it was only a few minutes, but I couldn't bear to watch the rest with Mo, who I am completely soured on.

Although ulkis, I hear that Dom showed up.

Was this at Maurice's event? Yeah, I just posted a tidbit about in there in the spoiler thread.

Maybe BC is nice around the kidlets. It's nice that he's not a total fratboy 24/7.

How was he not a fan? RC had Sonny do horrible things then completely white wash him. Sonny still has a love interest, he got the baby and the forgiveness of the son of the man he murdered and the other son whose girlfriend he created the baby with. How was RC different then the previous regime when it comes to Sonny?

Also MB might have wanted to check his tweets when it comes to "the writer." I guess he forgot he tweeted his praise to him a couple of times and praised him for getting Sonny.

• Love 6

How was he not a fan? RC had Sonny do horrible things then completely white wash him. Sonny still has a love interest, he got the baby and the forgiveness of the son of the man he murdered and the other son whose girlfriend he created the baby with. How was RC different then the previous regime when it comes to Sonny?

sonny was pretty backburnered in 2012. Well, for Sonny. A lot of us have speculated the network told Ron to make Sonny more prominent in 2013. And killing AJ in cold blood while cheating with his son's girlfriend made the character look pretty bad. I remember seeing some major Sonny fans start to turn against him at the time. 

• Love 1

How was RC different then the previous regime when it comes to Sonny?

He was on a reasonable number of days per week, which was good enough for me.  Sonny sucks, always has sucked, always will suck.  But at least every story doesn't revolve around him any more.  

Also, I hate RC as much as anyone, but actors dancing on his grave seems unprofessional to me.  Just say you wish RC well and look forward to seeing what the new regime has planned for your character.  Sheesh.

• Love 9

sonny was pretty backburnered in 2012. Well, for Sonny. A lot of us have speculated the network told Ron to make Sonny more prominent in 2013. And killing AJ in cold blood while cheating with his son's girlfriend made the character look pretty bad. I remember seeing some major Sonny fans start to turn against him at the time. 

Too bad for the Sonny stans, because that's who Sonny IS. He's a cold-blooded murderer, he always hated AJ, he always wanted to get rid of him, and when asked he said he would do it again. And don't get me started on his lack of respect for women. That was just another saga in him throwing dollar bills at Karen, or the things he's said to Claudia, etc. Cheating with his son's girlfriend is vile, but at least he didn't shoot him in the chest or try to blow him up. He's always been a POS. Wake up and smell the Corinthos coffee, Sonny stans.

Edited by tvgoddess
  • Love 15

It definitely didn't need the slit, but she rocked it. Her whole look was on point. And she was so sweet and funny. She knows how to play the game and was very "politically correct" about all her pairings and the story. (And she didn't think **** should have been brought back, so she gets me!)

• Love 3

Between her saying that Samtrick needs to be meatier bc all we see is "high-fives in the hospital and them in bed" and her fierce protection of Billy Miller when someone was kinda criticizing him, she's my spirit animal. I was CRYING when she was like, "Is it because you LOVE Steve Burton so much and you just CAN'T see anyone else in the role!?!"

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 4
I was CRYING when she was like, "Is it because you LOVE Steve Burton so much and you just CAN'T see anyone else in the role!?!"

I actually think this is kind of shitty of her to say to the fans.  Not that I feel any loyalty to SBu in the role whatsoever, but some fans do.  And that kind of viewer loyalty is at least a part of why Kelly currently has a job (and a lot of those fans who are blindly loyal to SBu are also blindly loyal to her, so she's biting the hand that feeds her).  I know she's sleeping with Billy and all, but there's no need to cop attitude with fans who haven't accepted him in the role yet. Some of those same fans would pitch a fit if she was recast, too.  

• Love 5

I'm irritated that he is dancing on RC's grave while praising FV. FV is the boss. The buck stops with him IMO.

It's equally irritating when I see people say "RC got rid of" so and so. No. RC was a writer. RC didn't have the authority on his own to hire or fire anyone. It's FV, or someone above him, constantly bringing on all these people there isn't room for. It's FV, or someone above him, who fired Ian and Michael.

RC was only a small part of the problem, which means the show won't be fixed by simply hiring new writers.

And of course the cast is excited about RC being gone. They were excited when the last writer was fired and RC was brought on. Change is always exciting, especially when what you've got right now is so bad.

Edited by IWantCandy71

I actually think this is kind of shitty of her to say to the fans.  Not that I feel any loyalty to SBu in the role whatsoever, but some fans do.  And that kind of viewer loyalty is at least a part of why Kelly currently has a job (and a lot of those fans who are blindly loyal to SBu are also blindly loyal to her, so she's biting the hand that feeds her).  I know she's sleeping with Billy and all, but there's no need to cop attitude with fans who haven't accepted him in the role yet. Some of those same fans would pitch a fit if she was recast, too.  

I'm not sure how she said it, but from what I heard it was more just a neutral tone of voice, not an accusation.

But I get what you're saying. Even if Billy were an unqualified success in the role (and yeah, I know he's not playing Jason *yet*), Steve Burton was in the role for twenty years, it's not easy to get past that for fans.

It's equally irritating when I see people say "RC got rid of" so and so. No. RC was a writer. RC didn't have the authority on his own to hire or fire anyone. It's FV, or someone above him, constantly bringing on all these people there isn't room for. It's FV, or someone above him, who fired Ian and Michael.

not necessarily. Frank can block a firing (I think? Not sure), but if Ron said, "I want to write out so-and-so" and FV or anyone else didn't have any objection, that the origin of that person being gone would be Ron.

• Love 3

I'm irritated that he is dancing on RC's grave while praising FV. FV is the boss. The buck stops with him IMO.

That's MO. he needs to be the next victim. Frank had to ok all the BS Ron did. He kept the books and kept the cost down so he is still here. Ron has been writing soaps for a while and the actors should put a sock in it, the next soap they go on, could be written by him. Frank held the purse strings so when Tristan left, it was because Frank didn't offer him a contract, not Ron.SK that was different. The twitter thing ticked off fans, he should Ron I mean just grow up. What I get a kick out of is, the writers ep's of soaps is just a big merry go-round. What goes around comes around. If they have long memories ? . JFP comes to mind. FOJ's work all the time.

Edited by testardo
  • Love 1

I actually think this is kind of shitty of her to say to the fans. Not that I feel any loyalty to SBu in the role whatsoever, but some fans do. And that kind of viewer loyalty is at least a part of why Kelly currently has a job (and a lot of those fans who are blindly loyal to SBu are also blindly loyal to her, so she's biting the hand that feeds her). I know she's sleeping with Billy and all, but there's no need to cop attitude with fans who haven't accepted him in the role yet. Some of those same fans would pitch a fit if she was recast, too.

She wasn't being rude or anything. She was simply asking a valid question, as that is the reason some fans don't accept Billy. I just thought it was funny the way it was delivered on a personal level. I remember laughing. That doesn't mean anything, lol.

As far as accepting a recast, I think it's different when an actor chooses to leave. There's nothing anyone can do about it at that point. If KMc told the show, "Ok, I'm done forever! Bye" and they recast the role, I'm not gonna spend time talking about the new actor and how KMc should be there, even if they do suck. Maybe I'd hope for a new recast, lol, but it is what it is.

• Love 3

That's MO. he needs to be the next victim. Frank had to ok all the BS Ron did. He kept the books and kept the cost down so he is still here. Ron has been writing soaps for a while and the actors should put a sock in it, the next soap they go on, could be written by him. Frank held the purse strings so when Tristan left, it was because Frank didn't offer him a contract, not Ron.SK that was different. The twitter thing ticked off fans, he should Ron I mean just grow up. What I get a kick out of is, the writers ep's of soaps is just a big merry go-round. What goes around comes around. If they have long memories ? . JFP comes to mind. FOJ's work all the time.

Exactly. Frank was Ron's boss. Anything RC "got away with", Frank LET HIM. And yes, he did have the power and authority to tell RC no, so I put the vast majority of the blame for the state of the show, squarely on FV.

I don't like the bits and pieces I am reading about this past weekend and what's coming up, at all. But, because I still like a few of the characters, I"m going to give it a chance. We'll see. I still think the show would benefit greatly from a new EP, as well. Maybe in six months, but honestly, if ratings aren't up in six months, I expect a cancellation announcement by this time next year.

• Love 3

I really wanted both Frank and Ron gone but I will settle for Ron being fired for now. I say this because Ron is the head writer of the show. The other one can hire or do anything but Frank didn't sit down and write those stupid storylines and dialogues. It was all Ron. And, I am glad Ron's ass got fired! 

Lets just hope the the two new Co-Head writers are marginally better than Ron. 

Thanks, tvgoddess!

I'm not a fan of the dress, but she looks fantastic.

Yeah, the dress is too skimpy for my taste. Maybe if the top had some more fabric, I would like it better. But she does clean up nicely :)

That too. Her boobs look uncomfortable.

She strapped in tighter than Albert's fiancé, Sylvia, in the killer mime episode of Little House on the Prairie.

~Scott Sickles, keeper of the obscure 80s pop culture references. 

P.S. Does anyone know if I still have a job?

Edited by Francie
  • Love 7

http://daytimeconfidential.com/2015/08/11/maurice-benard-on-ron-carlivatis-departure-gh

I've defended Maurice before, but that's a little bit obnoxious. meh.

What Bryan Craig said is too, but that's usually the case with Brydog.

Oh so he got rid of Carlivati, when he said

we got rid of the writer...

So, is Bernard part of the ABC suits, now? And just what is it about Geary, that people have to act like sheep--we know Geary referred to Carlivati as "the writer", but now, it appears, so does Bernard.

• Love 2

I just watched that video and honestly can't tell if he's being serious. At first it sounded like a joke, almost like he was in character. Not that it makes sense that way either, but then I watched the rest of it and I just don't know. Clearly Bryan tried to make light of it but Mo? Sounds like he's got a huge ego problem, and I've never seen that side of him before.

What bothers me is his 'I've never been more excited to go to work' and 'we've got some great stuff coming up.' Makes me dread what this 'great stuff' is because clearly it's going to be mob focused. :(

• Love 1

I just watched that video and honestly can't tell if he's being serious. At first it sounded like a joke, almost like he was in character. Not that it makes sense that way either, but then I watched the rest of it and I just don't know. Clearly Bryan tried to make light of it but Mo? Sounds like he's got a huge ego problem, and I've never seen that side of him before.

What bothers me is his 'I've never been more excited to go to work' and 'we've got some great stuff coming up.' Makes me dread what this 'great stuff' is because clearly it's going to be mob focused. :(

He was raving about how great last week's Five Families crap (including his pirouette, I presume) was.  That tells me everything I need to know about his taste (or lack thereof).

• Love 5

He was raving about how great last week's Five Families crap (including his pirouette, I presume) was.  That tells me everything I need to know about his taste (or lack thereof).

Shoot me now.