Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E19: Desperate Remedies

• Start Topic

Elizabeth comes up with a plan to get the terrorist organization "Boko Haram" to release schoolgirls they are holding captive, while Henry comes closer to pinpointing Jibral Disah's exact location.

Too Stupid For Even Bad TV award of the week goes to:

Having to set up the State Department staff in the McCord's house.  Because you know... the Federal Government doesn't have any other facilities the State Department can use if the Harry S Truman Building is shut down.

• Love 7

So England Dan is in the car, now.  Quite literally, in fact.  I liked Stevie's surprise at Elizabeth telling her she had less than admirable taste in men.  That and Lt. Col. Dr. SpyDaddy ArmCandy is now Coach Hank, to boot.  Hopefully they can find a cricket match somewhere so he, in turn, can learn how to bowl. 

I was impressed that Elizabeth had the stones to propose that devil's choice of a solution to the Marburg problem.

Was that good-natured banter going on in the Secret Room, or was Henry bordering on the line with her?  On the other hand, I was highly irritated with Jackson's tirade about bad news, and berating them into fixing the report to the President. 

How did the source on the ground know that there was a drone overhead, ready to drop the hammer?  That would be a closely guarded secret.

Too Stupid For Even Bad TV award of the week goes to:

Having to set up the State Department staff in the McCord's house. Because you know... the Federal Government doesn't have any other facilities the State Department can use if the Harry S Truman Building is shut down.

I didn't mind that. It was funny. I also enjoyed the bit about Henry/Elizabeth being super into Jareth. I really like how this show doesn't put any stereotypical "the parents are freaked out by their kid's dating and sex life" into its storylines. Henry/Elizabeth are totally accepting of the fact that Stevie dates and has sex and basically acts like a normal 20 year old. They only care when the guy is a loser. Her father doesn't run around like some overprotective nutjob and her mother isn't terrified of her getting pregnant. Those things never even come up, and they relate to her in such an age-appropriate and empowered way. It's great.

I missed the beginning and was distracted so I missed the set-up for getting the girl at the end. Henry's team did that, right? She's the one they've been tracking via that teacher? Why do they want her again?

Whew. That preview looks pretty rough.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 4

I think they just wanted her out of that situation because Henry leaned on the woman in the US to get information.

Why did Stevie reference Single White Female?  That movie is older than she is.

Because the writer of the episode and the showrunner aren't, and they're stuffing their own words into Stevie's 20-something mouth?

• Love 1

I think they just wanted her out of that situation because Henry leaned on the woman in the US to get information.

Why did Stevie reference Single White Female? That movie is older than she is.

Because it would get back to the terrorist group (who are they again?) that the U.S. was on to them, you mean?

As for Stevie, she's smart and well versed in a variety of things, would be my guess. I've certainly seen many movies older than I am and had at 20 also: Psycho, Streetcar Named Desire, Rebel Without a Cause, Splendor in the Grass...I'd seen all those movies by the time I was in college. SWF would be Stevie's generation's classic film, I'd bet. I could believe she's seen all the John Hughes movies too.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 3

Whew. That preview looks pretty rough.

Trouble in paradise? Don't worry, Jane will probably be there for Henry in order to comfort him. If Bess is getting involved in Russian affairs again, then Henry is reacting in good conscience to the misuse of the 'greater good' card in dealing with Dmitri's sister Talia.

Edited by VinceW
SWF would be Stevie's generation's classic film, I'd bet.

Ouch.

What I meant by the team grabbing the woman was that Henry probably convinced them that they owed it to the woman who gave him the intel on her.  I thought they were related, but no matter. 

I didn't mind that. It was funny. I also enjoyed the bit about Henry/Elizabeth being super into Jareth. I really like how this show doesn't put any stereotypical "the parents are freaked out by their kid's dating and sex life" into its storylines. Henry/Elizabeth are totally accepting of the fact that Stevie dates and has sex and basically acts like a normal 20 year old. They only care when the guy is a loser. Her father doesn't run around like some overprotective nutjob and her mother isn't terrified of her getting pregnant. Those things never even come up, and they relate to her in such an age-appropriate and empowered way. It's great.

I laughed and laughed after Bess realized "the boots were too much, weren't they? I get that now." followed by dragging Henry away from football talk - as they are going up the stairs Henry looks chastened and stage whispers to Bess: "what is happening to us??" lololol!

I was worried that as Stevie was frantic to talk to Bess that she was trying to tell her she didn't like him anymore or something. Really, the entire scene with the car and the boots and Blake's patented side-eye/eye-roll (sideyeroll?) was hilarious.

I can't believe Chris offered (I'm assuming that Bess didn't go as far as to ask...?) to go back and offer the cure to the evil one.

I heart Jay.

How did the source on the ground know that there was a drone overhead, ready to drop the hammer?  That would be a closely guarded secret.

^^ This.

• Love 2

I can't believe Chris offered (I'm assuming that Bess didn't go as far as to ask...?) to go back and offer the cure to the evil one.

After she finished with the Cameroon ambassador, Nadine came into the room to say Chris was on the phone, and Bess said something along the lines of "now I have to go ask an equally large favour of somebody else". To me, that implied that she asked him to go back.

• Love 3

I wonder if the season will end with the happy hubby and wife estranged - just basing on that quick preview for next week.  I hope they don't go down that old road.

I am and always have been a major movie freak and was quoting movies made 30 years before my time when I was in my teens - so, I don't think that was odd.

I didn't watch pretty much anything with husband - just not interested in whatever he's doing.  

Recommending the boots - great; actually buying them?  A bit creepy - 

• Love 2

I laughed and laughed after Bess realized "the boots were too much, weren't they? I get that now." followed by dragging Henry away from football talk - as they are going up the stairs Henry looks chastened and stage whispers to Bess: "what is happening to us??" lololol!

I was worried that as Stevie was frantic to talk to Bess that she was trying to tell her she didn't like him anymore or something. Really, the entire scene with the car and the boots and Blake's patented side-eye/eye-roll (sideyeroll?) was hilarious.

Yeah, I loved everything about it, including how horrified Stevie was to find out her parents genuinely didn't like any of her other boyfriends, and Elizabeth's "oh shit" face when she realized she'd said it out loud. "Arthur was nice!" "Yeah, nice AND OLD."

I didn't think any of it was creepy. It was all just very attentive/generous mom and dad (who are rich and have the means to do things like stop their motorcade to pick you up and buy you a pair of shoes on the spot), especially how Elizabeth reacted to poor Jareth's snow sneakers. (Though I completely get why Stevie thought it was too much.)

I really hope Jareth just is what he appears. I've been worried that he's some kind of spy who's going to screw over Stevie to get to her mother.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 4

The source was there to confirm that it was Jibral in that location. I'm pretty sure they didn't think the US wanted to deliver flowers and candy.

I did sort of wonder how Chris got from Bethesda (and his SICK BED) to Cameroon so quickly...and how he knew how to get to the bad guy (presuming he was still in the same place as when they last met.)

And I liked that it was Russell's decision, not Henry's, to call off the airstrike because there were too many people around (and they wouldn't actually KNOW if the target was killed.) Russell still looks like shit, coughed a bunch and referred to himself as "an old man." So I hope the actor isn't ill.

Also...Henry was kind of an asshole to the other Alpha Male on his team about his kids. 

• Love 2

After she finished with the Cameroon ambassador, Nadine came into the room to say Chris was on the phone, and Bess said something along the lines of "now I have to go ask an equally large favour of somebody else". To me, that implied that she asked him to go back.

Ah. I took that as asking him to be ok with giving the cure to the evil one. But yours makes more sense.

The source was there to confirm that it was Jibral in that location. I'm pretty sure they didn't think the US wanted to deliver flowers and candy.

Plus the source's handler (I know him as Carlos from another show, be here I think he is Anti-Henry) made it clear that he didn't trust the source to not sell them out.
  • Love 3

I wonder if the season will end with the happy hubby and wife estranged - just basing on that quick preview for next week.  I hope they don't go down that old road.

Since this is a traditional 22 episode season, they still have "time" to resolve it for the finale.

My nitpick this week - They need a new wardrobe person.  The 3/4 length sleeved jacket/sweater over a long sleeve shirt is really bugging me.  And this episode had a lot of talk about the best boots for a DC winter and then Stevie is walking around the house in a sleeveless dress.  

Yeah, I loved everything about it, including how horrified Stevie was to find out her parents genuinely didn't like any of her other boyfriends, and Elizabeth's "oh shit" face when she realized she'd said it out loud. "Arthur was nice!" "Yeah, nice AND OLD."

I don't remember the exact details, but it seems to me that Stevie should not have been surprised that her parents weren't fond of Arthur.

• Love 1

I don't remember the exact details, but it seems to me that Stevie should not have been surprised that her parents weren't fond of Arthur.

I think she knew they didn't like how old he was, but not necessarily that they didn't like him. Elizabeth and Henry seem to walk the fine line of disapproving without judging too harshly. Even with Harrison, they didn't rail against him, and Elizabeth seemed slightly regretful when Stevie heard her call him a loser. Plus, Stevie was right: Arthur was nice enough. But so was Bess...waaaaaay told for her, and frankly he was a little creepy for dating a 20 year old. If I remember right, Elizabeth and Henry never said that bit to Stevie, though.

• Love 1

I think she knew they didn't like how old he was, but not necessarily that they didn't like him. Elizabeth and Henry seem to walk the fine line of disapproving without judging too harshly. Even with Harrison, they didn't rail against him, and Elizabeth seemed slightly regretful when Stevie heard her call him a loser. Plus, Stevie was right: Arthur was nice enough. But so was Bess...waaaaaay told for her, and frankly he was a little creepy for dating a 20 year old. If I remember right, Elizabeth and Henry never said that bit to Stevie, though.

Arthur was also her boss, right? I think that's what Elizabeth and Henry had an issue with.

• Love 1

Didn't Chris tell the bad guy (name is gone) that he was immune?  Even so, it was a quick turn around for him to get out of the hospital and back in the field.

About the Bess/Henry blow-up next week:  I've come to take promos with more than a grain of salt since their aim is to show something ultra dramatic to get us all back.  

Kromm, on 11 Apr 2016 - 01:55 AM, said:

Because the writer of the episode and the showrunner aren't, and they're stuffing their own words into Stevie's 20-something mouth?

That's pretty prejudicial that people can only like what is considered age appropriate by society, isn't it? I think the majority of the movies I know are older than I am and I also dislike the majority of movies I should like because they're not my kind of movie.

I didn't think any of it was creepy. It was all just very attentive/generous mom and dad (who are rich and have the means to do things like stop their motorcade to pick you up and buy you a pair of shoes on the spot), especially how Elizabeth reacted to poor Jareth's snow sneakers. (Though I completely get why Stevie thought it was too much.)

The question I would have is why he was wearing those sneakers in the first place. I really thought they were leading up to Jareth not having the means to buy the boots and that that would lead to Bess and Henry suspecting he might be taking advantage of Stevie or that it would lead up to some other conflict/backstory. It just doesn't make sense for any sensible person to wear those shoes when there's still snow on the ground unless you can't afford other shoes.

And I liked that it was Russell's decision, not Henry's, to call off the airstrike because there were too many people around (and they wouldn't actually KNOW if the target was killed.) Russell still looks like shit, coughed a bunch and referred to himself as "an old man." So I hope the actor isn't ill.

Also...Henry was kind of an asshole to the other Alpha Male on his team about his kids. 

I felt the comment uncalled for, too. Yes, the other guy is pretty much unlikeable, but I don't like how they set up the characters in general. He clearly has to cause conflict and oppose everything that Henry says and I find that rather lame and much too blunt from a writing point of view. There's a much subtler way to do it and there'd be no harm if he agreed every now and then or at least, weren't so obvious about contradicting.

All in all, I liked the episode. There weren't nearly enough Bess/Henry scenes for my taste but Blake scenes are always a plus and the scenes with Jareth at home were fun.

I would have loved to see a scene between Henry and Bess about Russell since Henry has now been at the receiving end of one his Russell's outbursts, too, so they could have had a fun exchange. I do miss this home dynamic a bit. If you ask me, I think that we get to see them a tad bit too often in their work environment at the cost of not seeing them in their home environment.

• Love 1