Type keyword(s) to search

Late Show With David Letterman - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Loved the Tracy Chapman performance. I'll be rewatching it many times tomorrow.

I usually don't go for Dreesen, but I really liked this final appearance. Instead of trying (and failing) to be funny, he just spent most of his segment reminiscing with Dave about their standup days.

So has Stern been scheduled for a final appearance, or are we gonna instead have to hear about him bitching on his show about not getting invited?

I would expect Howard to be on Letterman's final (half) week, but not the final day.

I was actually disappointed that we only got one Howard experience in Letterman's final year.

I predict Foo Fighters will be on the final night.

(edited)

I loved that Mayer was wearing a "Late Night" jacket. There's also something very impressive about getting someone of Mayer's stature to come on your show with nothing to promote and cover an eight-minute classic song. If they can manage that 5 weeks out, imagine what we'll be getting in the final couple weeks.

Edited by alynch

That is a killer song to attempt. I thought he flubbed a line or two. Can any American Pie aficionado confirm?

He messed up the verse that started with Helter Skelter, but it was a good effort.  And Dave liked it.  I love how he's asking musicians to come on and sing songs he picks.

Did anyone think that Alec looked uncomfortable in the chair?  He rarely looked at Dave and seemed almost too big for the seat.  If that makes any sense...

I loved that Mayer was wearing a "Late Night" jacket. There's also something very impressive about getting someone of Mayer's stature to come on your show with nothing to promote and cover an eight-minute classic song. If they can manage that 5 weeks out, imagine what we'll be getting in the final couple weeks.

I'm generally pretty "meh" about the musical guests. Not a big fan of either Tracy Chapman or John Mayer, but I thought both were surprisingly impressive.  The Foo Fighters had a full week late last year, but they are simply a must-have for at least one night, perhaps all of them, sitting in with the band all night long?

It's really hit me this week that the show/man that I have watched/loved for 30+ years is going to be done in 5.5 weeks.

The last week prediction:  Tom Hanks Monday, Regis Tuesday, Bill Murray Wednesday. 

Edited by SanDiegoInExile

Mayer is an esteemed musisician go get, but it's not like he's a recluse who made a rare performance.

After all, a few months ago he was guest-hosting the Late Late Show (when it was Letterman-produced).

Mayer is an esteemed musisician go get, but it's not like he's a recluse who made a rare performance.

After all, a few months ago he was guest-hosting the Late Late Show (when it was Letterman-produced).

Well aware of that, but requesting a cover to an eight-minute, six-verse song is still a pretty big ask. It's the kind of thing on which a musician could very easily end up making a fool of themselves.

• Love 1

I also thought Alec Baldwin looked uncomfortable in the chair.  He rarely made eye contact with Dave, which isn't unusual, I guess, but his body language was interesting.  He was consistently turned away from Dave and facing the audience directly.  Not sure what to make of that, if anything, but I did notice it.

Count me in with those who think the very last episode will be with Bill Murray.  I'm thinking it will end as it all began, many years ago. 

And I also felt that having John Mayer show up two nights before he had to be in Cleveland for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductions, having to learn a long song like American Pie specifically for the show, was a nice honor and show of respect to Dave.  He did a great job with it, flubbed lyric and all.  And I'm also loving how Dave is making so many of these musical performances personal for him.  For a man who often (though not always) tried to keep the private out of the professional, it's been fun to see.   

• Love 2
(edited)

Playing "I Can See Clearly Now" for Travolta's intro music. Oh how I'll miss you Paul.

John (watch clip guy) didn't seem like the type to willingly stick his face on national TV.

Kind of makes you wonder if he got picked up the next day, doesn't it?

Yeah, Schumer was on less than 6 minutes. That interview was nearly 19 minutes long. Dave obviously was delighted. I think her comedy meshes with his.

There's some goofy editing in that YouTube video (probably as a way of dodging copyright algorithms). The interview was actually only ten minutes long.

Edited by alynch
  • Love 3

I like Amy's humour & I'd love to see Brian Williams "step up".  I really like him & hope he has the cojones to make an appearance.  Fingers crossed!!!

Williams is banned from speaking to the media, but his fate should be decided by Letterman's final week.

NBC has to decide what it will do with Williams by the upfronts in early May, so that advertisers will know what to expect from NBC in the fall.

• Love 1

1.) Props to Paul for his musical cue.  It's clear (heh) that there's a ban on asking Revolta about Scientology, and this was a nice parting shot by Paul throwing shade on that a bit.

2.) Why was Revolta wearing a Tux?

3.) Yes, he still makes my skin crawl.  

4.) What was with the flop sweat?  I mean we all know Dave keeps the place like a meat locker, but where that puffy face met the weird hair was all glisten-ey.  

5.) I can't even pretend to understand the agenda with having Kelly drag out the kid.  It smells of some kind of Scientology Image Spin though, to remind people that John is a "family man" and not just some rich weirdo who Howard Hugheses flying around the world on his private air force of privately owned planes.  And there's always the subtle reminders of Jett Travolta and his situation, which the Travoltas seem to think reflects well on them rather than the reverse.  But alas, even if that were true, John just couldn't bite his tongue about his kids being Home Schooled.  Go look up what that ACTUALLY means for a Scientology kid.

On the other hand? Amy Schumer? Was delightful.

• Love 4

Oh I missed that Paul cue....I love Paul and the band and I love what Dave said about getting them into the Hall..I loved that bit with John and the watch...

Some of those bits I missed because I was in college and was too busy studying or hanging with all my new friends to watch..So these are a treat...

One random thing I noticed that Dave is the only host that does not appear in the opening credits of his own show...I didn't watch Late Night all those years ago, was he ever in the credits then?

I don't believe Dave has ever been in the opening credits of any of his late night shows.  I don't think that's the kind of thing he felt comfortable about doing.  Besides, his hero, Johnny Carson, wasn't featured in the opening credits, and I think things like that matter a great deal to him.  

I'm wondering if Willie Nelson will be on in the last few weeks.  He's always been one of Dave's favorites and I'm waiting for his name to be mentioned, along with Foo Fighters, which was already mentioned in a previous post.   

Yeah, I was dissapointed in Khan's performance..She looked like she was afraid to move and then I noticed those HIGH heels..Why do women do that?

Still, the band played the hell out of that song though....and the back up singers picked up Chaka's slack in the vocal department...

I really will miss Paul and the band..Can't CBS give them a musical showcase this summer?

• Love 2
(edited)

The funny thing about Bruce Willis is that he's great here but is such a terrible interview pretty much everywhere else.

I had never seen that Buzz Aldrin clip before. It had me laughing pretty hard.

Edited by alynch

Dave loves Robert Downey Jr., but clearly doesn't give a shit about The Avengers. That combination makes for a winning interview, as he struggles to come up with anything interesting to say about the movie. Also, playing the fake clip is always funny.

The Russo interview was fun as well. The best part was when Dave threw out the word "quisling" because then I started having Norm MacDonald flashbacks.

Costello was outstanding. All around terrific show.

I was at my one and only Letterman taping in L.A. that taco remote week, (and, really, my only ever talk show taping.)

I was at the Farmer's Market 2 weeks ago, and that whole parking lot area is now an outdoor shopping mall. That was cool to see how it was.

• Love 1

I posted this in the Media thread, but here's the guest lineup for next week: 

Mo 4/27: Scarlett Johansson, John Mellencamp, Todd Rundgren
Tu 4/28: Michael Keaton, Future Islands
We 4/29: Jack Hanna, John Popper
Th 4/30: Hootie & the Blowfish
Fr 5/1: Steve Martin, Emmylou Harris, Rodney Crowell, Amos Lee, Ralph Stanley, Mark O'Connor

I love this list.

• Love 3

Figured somebody was going to a Zevon cover eventually. Still wasn't ready for it though.

I really liked what Seinfeld did, performing the set from his first appearance. It probably left a lot of people (including me) confused during the commercial break, because while the material seemed kind of rote, there was nothing specifically dating it.

Watch him do the fattest man routine from his younger days. Much funnier. But as he said, he finds the material a bit offensive these days, and I felt he was rushing it.

Figured somebody was going to a Zevon cover eventually. Still wasn't ready for it though.

It was beautiful.  I first heard of Jason Isbell on Letterman, as I have with so many other musical acts who performed on the show, and he and his wife did the song and Warren Zevon proud. 

I usually can take or leave Seinfeld, but I loved his questions for Dave and his prediction that he may not be spending as much time with his family as he is expecting.  I have much respect for someone who can say what alot of people are thinking. 

• Love 1

I haven't seen the Friday episode, but did they do another tribute?  Two Fridays ago, they had a 3-minute clip of Paul's antics.  Last Friday was a video reel of Biff In Action.  I figured Dorothy would get one.  And maybe Alan.  

I have been thinking about the last week, the last three shows.  I wonder if the Jimmys will air new shows on Dave's last night.  I know they regularly out-rate him, and the world has changed so much since Carson left.  May 20 is the last night of sweeps, but I have noticed that in the past few years, even the primetime shows aren't all brand new season finales on that last night of sweeps.  CBS has the three hour Survivor finale that night.  I think the ABC comedies are having their finales a week earlier. Kimmel loves Letterman so much that I could imagine him lobbying ABC to show a banner saying "Watch Dave", though that ain't gonna happen.  Maybe a Nightline Special instead.  I think its more likely that Kimmel would show a rerun, though the network suits could be insistent on a fresh show.

I suspect the Wednesday finale Late Show will not be an uber-extravaganza.  Just Dave and Bill Murray doing their normal chit-chat.  Maybe the Foo Fighters and a handful of other musical celebrities joining the band for one last showstopper?  Then again, I can see Dave wanting Just The Band for the Finale. And I sorta prefer that too.

I know it won't happen, but I would love to see a Top Ten list, featuring all the late night hosts through the years:  The Jimmys, Conan, Jay, Seth, Jon Stewart, Arsenio, Chelsea Handler, Ted Koppel(!), ChevyChase, and any other ones that competed the past 30+ years.  Imagine the moment if they all walked out in single file line, just like those "area accountants" they trot out every April 15.  Not pre-taped remote clips, but the actual hosts there in the studio, reciting another sorta not funny Top Ten.

Another nice thing would be a Top Ten from Regina, Harry, and Dorothy.

• Love 2

Another nice thing would be a Top Ten from Regina, Harry, and Dorothy.

Dave's mom, sure, but I don't see him trotting his kid out.  He's not John Travolta!

He'll talk about the kid frequently, sure, but that's entirely different.  I think half of Dave's audience warmup is talking about Harry. 

I think once, years ago, the show had some shot of the kid in the audience waving. I know he's been photographed any number of times right outside of The Ed Sullivan theater with Dave. But I don't think even as a goodbye would Dave ever actually put him on the show.

(edited)

That was a top-to-bottom great show. The monologue had a few funny jokes. The Best-Of Top Ten was great. Dave was really sharp with the zingers during both the interviews and both guests also did a good job. Johansson was an engaging conversation, and it helped that they were both willing to openly mock the movie she was selling. And Mellencamp was smoking a cigarette while discussing a past heart attack, so that was easy comedy. And his performance was terrific. Doubt there'll be a single dud among these final music acts.

Edited by alynch
  • Love 2

I wonder if the scary frightening stuff going on in Baltimore now will affect the late night talk shows (specifically this one) tomorrow night.

Do we think the show overall had any kind of contingency plan for some kind of tragedy or huge newsstory happening during their goodbye lap?

A major American city being under Martial Law and making a good attempt to burn itself to the ground would seem to qualify.  All that light banter Dave might otherwise have had with Michael Keaton might take a different tone now.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1