Type keyword(s) to search

Late Show With David Letterman - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Thinking about it, maybe ratings right now is on their hightest.

I would think everyone (especially his most loyal fanbase) would want to be there watching every show in this final months.

He's actually coming in third at the moment. Doubt there'll be any noticeable uptick until the final month or so. That's how these things usually work.

I don't think Dave is having any trouble booking guests though. I mean he's got Tom Hanks on next week, and as best as I can tell Hanks isn't even promoting anything. The idea that he'd rather have on his favorites towards the end I can absolutely buy.

He's actually coming in third at the moment. Doubt there'll be any noticeable uptick until the final month or so. That's how these things usually work.

I don't think Dave is having any trouble booking guests though. I mean he's got Tom Hanks on next week, and as best as I can tell Hanks isn't even promoting anything. The idea that he'd rather have on his favorites towards the end I can absolutely buy.

I buy that, except it doesn't explain JB Smoove.

I'm loving the musical guests..Bettye Levette's cover of "Wait" still lingers days after I saw it..

..and I am interested in how Bri-Wi handles all the controversy..and if he DOES get fired, he may be on Dave's show a lot more before the end...

I really wish they'd stop with the Bruce Jenner jokes. I know it's not coming from a malicious place, but it's pretty much impossible to make a joke that's not premised upon, "Gender reassignment is inherently hilarious."

• Love 4

I agree about Bruce Jenner.

I'm disappointed in Brian Williams. I was hoping for at least one more Regis impression from him, but his ridiculous apology makes him seem like such a douchebag that I'm not sure I could enjoy it.

I really wish they'd stop with the Bruce Jenner jokes. I know it's not coming from a malicious place, but it's pretty much impossible to make a joke that's not premised upon, "Gender reassignment is inherently hilarious."

Today's Bruce Jenner news should put an end to that.

After Dave leaves will he stay visible or completely disappear like Carson did?

We probably won't see much of him, but I doubt he'll disappear completely. If nothing else, it looks like Worldwide Pants will remain in operation. The tradition of most comics with a lot of free time is to start a podcast, but I can't see him doing that.

Today's Bruce Jenner news should put an end to that.

Hopefully.

Some of my FB friends were raving about Tom Jones on the Grammys..I saw it...it was good but nothing compares to this..and moments like this will make me miss the Late Show:

Dave Grohl did a Letterman tribute at the Grammys, but I can't find a clip.

You're right, but he was awesome last night.  I missed the introduction of the gal he sang with -- I'm sure I know her but I'm drawing a blank.  HELP!!!

Jessie J

I tried to find a clip of the Dave Grohl tribute but i'm coming up dry.  It was lovely though...

• Love 1

That show was legitimately good from top to bottom. The monologue had the McConaughey video, which was just the right length to be funny. The Courtney Love interview was surprisingly fun in a non-trainwreck way. Dave's sarcastic commentary on the Brian Williams situation was really good. The musical guest was terrific.

And the Chris Elliott segment was spectacular. I was not expecting it be so ceremonious. I figured they'd bring him back in May, even if just for a comedy bit, so I was not prepared for such displays of emotion. I loved how they switched from being genuine to being funny so often that you couldn't even keep track. Chris starts crying and you don't really have time to figure out if it's real or just a way to set up the song. And it had the perfect closing line: "Thank you, Chris. That was awful."

Edited by alynch
  • Love 2

Lord knows I love me some Dave, but he's been looking very tired lately, and I'm concerned.  Hopefully, it's just that he knows retirement is near and he's going into early slowdown and doesn't have to/want to "fluff up" anymore.  The navy slacks, brown jacket and purple tie last night didn't help either...Dave usually is so much more dapper (especially when he wears a dark suit).  <3

I don't think I could have enjoyed Dave's interaction with Will Smith more! I freely admit that I'm easily amused, and I'm totally a Dave girl, but I was hooting with delight. Beginning with Getting Jiggy With It to the "man meat" evaluation, I was laughing throughout. I don't even care if it was an act on Will's part, seeing him laugh with Dave tickled me. And the imitation of Willow and the kitty-angst was hilarious. I sincerely hope this wasn't his last visit to the show. Add another celebrity to my dream lineup for the last week!

ETA: Whoops! Guess I should have finished watching before I posted... Well, a girl can dream. As much as I loved that Top Ten list, I want another appearance! Actually, because of that Top Ten list, I need another visit from Mr. Smith. (Said with as much of a whistle as I could manage...)

Edited by Kindred Spirit
  • Love 1

Yeah, Smith is one of those guys I can never really dislike. Sure, he's almost certainly just being "on" when he goes on talk shows, but that doesn't change how good he is at it. What makes his appearances with Dave so good is that there's a hint of (playful) contentiousness to them. You could see that coming out when he'd make cracks about Letterman's attitude towards Margot Robbie.

Edited by alynch
  • Love 1

I actually like it when Dave spikes a bit, mostly because I then imagine the writers breaking stuff in anger. He did it last week too. They appeared to have some sort of Valentines Day segment prepared, but Dave instead decided to buy someone in the audience a sweatshirt.

I actually like it when Dave spikes a bit, mostly because I then imagine the writers breaking stuff in anger. He did it last week too. They appeared to have some sort of Valentines Day segment prepared, but Dave instead decided to buy someone in the audience a sweatshirt.

Yeah, but I liked when fun facts was a weekly bit. I even got the book.

Future guests, take note of the Ellie Kemper spot. That's how you do it. If you want to pay tribute to Dave during your last appearance, don't slobber over him about what an honor it is to talk to him and all that shit. Be creative!

(edited)

I don't watch Letterman much anymore unless there's someone on that I want to see.  Last night, Dr. Phil was on.  He and Dave usually are very funny together, so I watched.  The second segment was about child rearing.  Dave, who I've always figured was a great father, really touched me when he talked about his son as perfection--something like "When they handed me that baby, I thought, 'This is perfection.'"  And he expressed dismay that now he's yelling at his "perfect" child to get off the IPad.  It was really a cute segment, mostly about Dave's worries about being a good enough father, and Dr. Phil ending up telling him that he can see that Dave is a good father because he's so concerned about this.

eta - I think it may have been a repeat, not sure.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 1

I don't watch Letterman much anymore unless there's someone on that I want to see.  Last night, Dr. Phil was on.  He and Dave usually are very funny together, so I watched.  The second segment was about child rearing.  Dave, who I've always figured was a great father, really touched me when he talked about his son as perfection--something like "When they handed me that baby, I thought, 'This is perfection.'"  And he expressed dismay that now he's yelling at his "perfect" child to get off the IPad.  It was really a cute segment, mostly about Dave's worries about being a good enough father, and Dr. Phil ending up telling him that he can see that Dave is a good father because he's so concerned about this.

eta - I think it may have been a repeat, not sure.

It was a repeat, but still fairly recent. Only about a month ago.

I think it's a near certainty that Jay will appear sometime in May, but I don't consider it something that absolutely has to happen or anything.

I'll bet it'll be announced at the last minute, like one or two days before.

I'll bet it'll be announced at the last minute, like one or two days before.

I see it the other way. Crank up the hype machine as soon as possible.(at least from the CBS point of view),

Edited by GaryE

I think I'm just going to start posting quotes that made me laugh after each show rather than trying to get all analytic about it.

"I know you don't like to hear these things... emotions. You're like Nixon and shit."

"They're very discrete in Vegas. They're not like these gossipy small-town whores"

• Love 3