Type keyword(s) to search

Late Show With David Letterman - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought Howard Stern would be a final week guest, considering he's been going on since 1984, since Letterman has used Stern's show as inspiration (the mom bits), since Letterman and Stern were once phone pals (before Howard would divulge the contents of their conversations on air), since Letterman has been a guest on the Stern show in the 90s and 2000s (to surprise Howard for his 50th birthday), since Letterman let Howard interview him on stage for Howard's 60th birthday bash.

But nope.

Howard will make his final Letterman appearance on Monday, May 11 (he revealed today).

and call me crazy but I will miss Dave's annual Tony's joke...

Me, too.  There are certain jokes you can expect on an annual basis, like Dave writing the wrong year on his checks when it's the new Jewish New Year, and this is another one.  

I'm not sure when it happened, but it was a few years ago when I realized that Michael Keaton was one of Dave's best guests, and for me, he's in the top 2 or 3 (with Tom Hanks and Billy Crystal).  I will miss watching them reminisce about the early years of their careers.

According to the CBS website, Mumford and Sons will be on Tuesday, May 5, and Foo Fighters will be on Thursday, May 7.

Could you provide a link? I'm not seeing the Foo Fighters date anywhere. CBS just sent out a press release that so far only lists Tina Fey for that night.

Could you provide a link? I'm not seeing the Foo Fighters date anywhere. CBS just sent out a press release that so far only lists Tina Fey for that night.

According to the CBS website, Mumford and Sons will be on Tuesday, May 5, and Foo Fighters will be on Thursday, May 7.

Mumford are not appearing on the Letterman show itself, they are going to appear on Legends of Letterman. It's an online limited web series that "celebrates the musical acts that have appeared on Letterman."

Here is a link to the Mumford announcement and from the main CBS Letterman page, if you scroll down, you will see that they list The Dave Matthews Band as appearing on May 7th. I think that's what this is.

Mumford are not appearing on the Letterman show itself, they are going to appear on Legends of Letterman. It's an online limited web series that "celebrates the musical acts that have appeared on Letterman."

They'll actually be doing both the show and the concert. Having the occasional music guest stick around for a web concert has been a semi-regular thing for past few years.

They'll actually be doing both the show and the concert. Having the occasional music guest stick around for a web concert has been a semi-regular thing for past few years.

Ha. Didn't know that! I just saw them listed on the web series.

alynch, have you seen this website. The girl who updates it compiles together all of the guests schedules for all of the major talk shows. It's usually one week in advance, sometimes two, depending on where she finds the info.

Ha. Didn't know that! I just saw them listed on the web series.

alynch, have you seen this website. The girl who updates it compiles together all of the guests schedules for all of the major talk shows. It's usually one week in advance, sometimes two, depending on where she finds the info.

That site is a great resource. It's the only place that keeps all the late night lineups right next to each other, although I usually keep a closer eye on this site for Letterman information since it's usually where the guest info originates.

The concert series was previously called Live On Letterman. You should check some of them out, since they'll probably be pulled once the show is over.

• Love 1

That site is a great resource. It's the only place that keeps all the late night lineups right next to each other, although I usually keep a closer eye on this site for Letterman information since it's usually where the guest info originates.

The concert series was previously called Live On Letterman. You should check some of them out, since they'll probably be pulled once the show is over.

Thanks for the link, alynch! Will definitely check it out. Awesome!

I loved Fogerty's sign and then pointing to Dave when he sang "Left a good job in the city"...

The late night landscape is changing...but before it becomes irrelavant to me, Dave's been a on a hot streak of awesome shows....

Hanna may go on other shows but Dave is at his best with Jack...

• Love 2

Jack's emotion was touching, and it really shows how Dave is giving not only himself but so many guests the chance to say goodbye to a remarkable experience. 

The final picture of Jack as they cut away (1985?) -- had him in a haircut that looked like a pizza delivery guy.  I'm sure I saw him back then, but sure don't remember that look.

• Love 2

I recognized a guy in the Mary credits. It was the dad from Teen Wolf!

I thought Paul's suit Tuesday was an homage to Beetlejuice.

kThN4Ef.jpg?1

I was glad Future Islands was on Tuesday, because Monday's show didn't air here in Baltimore (where they live).

I recognized a guy in the Mary credits. It was the dad from Teen Wolf!

I thought Paul's suit Tuesday was an homage to Beetlejuice.

kThN4Ef.jpg?1

I was glad Future Islands was on Tuesday, because Monday's show didn't air here in Baltimore (where they live).

One of the few drawbacks of not having over-the-air reception anymore.  It aired here on the Washington channel, but that doesn't help since the cable doesn't work so well with rabbit ears...

• Love 1

I would pay good money for a DVD collection of all of Jack Hanna's appearances. I always am smiling and laughing during his appearances. Except for tonight when I was crying at the end. I had no idea he's been coming on the show for 33 years. It was sad that this is their last interaction. DVD! DVD!

Could Dave had been any happier or sweeter thanking Hootie and the Blowfish? I've been watching him for 33 years and anticipate missing him more than I might guess (lucky I'm so fond of Colbert). Seeing this farewell tour in which he celebrates some of his favorites and they celebrate him right back has been priceless.

Demonstrating how things should be done since 1982. (Except for Will It Float after the first dozen times.)

• Love 3

No mention of Baltimore but the opening lines from "Hold My Hand" seemed rather on point...Great..great version..

I am not of the same political stripe as The First Lady so I tuned out her interview but the Marine Corp band was 20 kinds of cool..Still, wish we could have gotten a full "Stars and Stripes Forever"...that song gives me chills...

Demonstrating how things should be done since 1982. (Except for Will It Float after the first dozen times.)

Awww...I really loved "Will It Float?"..If anything just for the theme song...and I loved seeing the hula hoop girl and Grinder girl....

• Love 2

"Will It Float?"  of course based on the British show "Is It Buoyant?" 

I'm going to miss Dave so much.  His sense of humor and mine so meshed over the years.  He's the reason I bought my first VCR, back when they cost several hundreds.  I watched him from the beginning of his show at NBC, when I was a college student.  And now I'm planning for retirement in a few years.  He's been a part of my entire adult life!   

• Love 7

Nathan Lane has been added to next Tuesday's show, with Reese Witherspoon and Mumford and Sons.

I'm glad.  IMO, Nathan has not always been the funniest guy on Letterman, but he gives it his all, and he's a NY/Broadway fixture.  I also think he's been a go-to guest for Dave on occasion when someone's cancelled.  I'm glad to see his name on the list.

• Love 2

Loved Steve...and you can tell they really do respect each other..."I'm still deeply in love"..awww Dave...

..and that musical number was everything I hoped for..and so much more..

Dave , do you REALLY have to go???

• Love 3
(edited)

Wow, Colleen. That piece had a classic moment when he pointed at a grubby crew member and told her that guy had been sitting on her bed, and they cut to a shot of the guy sitting on her bed.

Oh, and it felt like we saw half of the prime time special tonight.

Edited by GaryE
  • Love 2

...and THAT, Folks, is why I love Bluegrass!  FABULOUS!

When did Steve Martin start morphing into Dave?  They're almost looking like twins!

• Love 3
(edited)

Colleen Boyle being in the audience is awesome. It's one of the best remotes Dave ever did. It's too bad they couldn't just replay the clip on air.

Edited by alynch
  • Love 3

I told my brother this morning that the selection of musical guests tonight would likely result in a performance of a bluegrass or gospel standard. They did not disappoint.

I don't know that I can contain my emotions the closer it gets to the last show. It didn't bother me when Carson retired because Dave would always be around...

• Love 2
(edited)

I have had a lump in my throat watching several Late Show episodes this week.  It's only going to get worse as May 20 gets closer.

I'm so glad they replayed Steve and Dave's Gay Weekend.  It was one of my alltime favorite Letterman moments, very creative and very funny.  I love that Dave gave Steve credit for the idea and that Steve mentioned how popular the clip is.

At first I didn't remember who Colleen was, but once they showed the photo of her behind the counter, it all came back.  No one did better conversations with real people in real situations, with more than a dash of snark, than David Letterman.  

Did I mis-hear Alan Kalter's promo for Monday's show, or did they bump Will Ferrell after all?  I heard Pres. Obama and the Avett Brothers, but I was watching it live and might have misheard.

Edited by SingerIslander

It's one of the best remotes Dave ever did. It's too bad they couldn't just replay the clip on air.

We should probably just start our own highlight thread around here. Plus, most likely less NBC restrictions at YouTube.

I have had a lump in my throat watching several Late Show episodes this week.  It's only going to get worse as May 20 gets closer.

I'm so glad they replayed Steve and Dave's Gay Weekend.  It was one of my alltime favorite Letterman moments, very creative and very funny.  I love that Dave gave Steve credit for the idea and that Steve mentioned how popular the clip is.

At first I didn't remember who Colleen was, but once they showed the photo of her behind the counter, it all came back.  No one did better conversations with real people in real situations, with more than a dash of snark, than David Letterman.  

Did I mis-hear Alan Kalter's promo for Monday's show, or did they bump Will Ferrell after all?  I heard Pres. Obama and the Avett Brothers, but I was watching it live and might have misheard.

That's what I heard too, SingerIslander.  No mention of Will Ferrell.  I went and tried to see if he'd been rescheduled, but I was too tired and gave up quickly.  Hope they manage to get him on at some point.

Lovely show last night.  I was just a tad disappointed that Ralph Stanley wasn't there since he'd been listed in the promos.  However, the music was perfect as is!

• Love 1